Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #121  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Drive by, again......
Went to the Health Fair this morning for my yearly concession to the medical profession: my blood test, full CBC panel. I'll be interested to compare this year's results with last year's; there's usually little change. Granny gave us good genes!

Otherwise, nothing going on.... cloudy here, but still no moisture. Things are starting to bud and bloom and flower. It seems early and that is concerning; a heavy storm could hurt all that new growth.

Onward and upward! Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #122  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Yes, I'm still around. Just caught up on the posts.

Rosie - so sorry about the loss of your friend.
Lynn - Happy belated B-day! My sister's is today and we had a wonderful family dinner for her on Sunday.

All you great pound losers - congrats!!!

I'm the same, but happy.

I swear the Cape will never warm up. While Boston gets up to the high 60s we remain in the low 50s...GRRRR.

i did plant my peas, spinach and lettuce in the vegie garden on Saturday. All this drizzle should help thm to come up.

Wow ! All you gals doing spring cleaning and sorting are inspiring. I have been helping my 95 yr old client to clean out closets and cupboards - finding lots of treasures!

Lyn
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #123  

Height: 5'3"

Just have time for a quick post before getting ready to go to church. I haven't been here for a little while because I haven't "earned" my internet time other than doing my banking etc. I haven't gotten much done since Saturday as Sunday I bought my new phone, finally!! I've been waiting for our contract to end and was SO sick of my old phone...it was very sluggish Blackberry. I hated it!!
I wanted an iPhone but wasn't sure if I could afford one. Well we compromised and got the older version...the 3Gs (both of us) and we LOVE it!! So I've spent most of my time playing with it and getting it set up like I want it. The people at AT&T were so nice and gave us a very good deal when I told them about finding one of their phones (not iPhone but was planning on getting it anyway...it was on the par with an iPhone4). I'd heard bad things about cs at AT&T but really they were very nice to us so so far, I give them high marks.

I've had my ups and downs with my eating plan but have done well today so far. Sunday my "official" weigh-in day, I gained back my .4 lbs I lost the week before. We ate out the night before...stupid thing to do before a weigh-in!

Freda - I'm an organizer nut too...never quite get to the point I want but I keep trying..

Last edited by maryea; 04-12-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Rainy weather has put a hold on our outdoor projects for the evening, so I thought I’d stop by & see what’s going on. At least we got one project done - my swing! I decided about a month ago I had to have a porch swing, but the problem was, no porch to hang it on. My back porch has been taken over by my outdoor cats (& it gets the afternoon son & is too hot in the summer), & my front porch is too small. Building a frame to hang it from, in the yard, seemed like it would be expensive & time consuming. Fortunately, the problem was solved when we stopped to talk to a man that lives near here, who builds swings to sell. He told us all we had to do was bury 2 - 8’ long 4x4 posts about 2’ in the ground about 6’ apart, (& pour concrete in the holes), then notch out & fasten another 4x4 across the top to mount the swing from. That sounded pretty easy (for my SO to do), so we bought one of his swings, & got the lumber & other supplies, & now I have my swing! I’ll try to take a picture when the rain stops & post it.

Lynn, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like you’re really enjoying your Niagara trip, mostly anyway.

Rosey, I’m so sorry about your friend.

Looks like there’s been A LOT of weight loss going on around here! If I added right, it was 8.4 pounds this week. Yay! Zoe! & Rosey! & Maureen! & Sherry! Did I miss anyone? Sorry if I did!

Zoe, about writing that book - I think if you just put all your posts here together, you’d have a book! And quite an entertaining one! Oh, & as you can see, I can’t stay away from here for long.

Donna, glad you got that scale to show a little sense. Just remember what Zoe said about them being male. You really can’t trust everything they say! And thanks for saying I look tiny!!! (Quite an exaggeration, but REALLY nice of you.)

Gayle, I can really empathize with you on trying to get your stuff sorted. Seems like I just have so much stuff, I’ll never figure out what to do with all of it! Whenever I try to go through it, it seems like all I do is rearrange it! I’m afraid when I die, someone’s going to have a heck of a mess to sort out. And, just hang in there on the weight loss, I think the main thing is to just keep on trying! At least you’re making progress!

Freda, that hoarder show scares me too. I really have a very hard time throwing anything away, but I’m trying. I like your hint about setting a 5 lb. limit on weight gain. That’s pretty much what I had in mind. So far I haven’t really changed my eating habits any . I guess I’m waiting to see what feels right.

KarenMO, your mention of boxes of pictures reminded me of more “stuff” I need to figure out what to do with. I not only have some boxes of my own photos, I have 3 boxes of my grandmother’s pictures. When I looked through them a couple of months ago (I‘ve had them for 13 years, & I THINK I looked through them before?) I found a few pictures of my great-grandmother’s parents, 2 of them were of her father as a boy! They have to be from the late 1800’s! Don’t have any idea what to do with them. The rest of my family don’t seem to be interested in them, & I’m not much for hanging family pictures on the wall. And, wow! you’re doing great with the exercise. I can’t imagine doing that, & liking it!

Bobbi, I wish I had your knack with yards & growing things! My yard looks terrible (except for my swing, & the plants that were already here when we moved in). My SO & I just aren’t good with “outdoor” things, but this year we intend to at least make an attempt to “pretty” things up. And I look forward to pics of your classic Chevy (you upholster too?!!! Wow!)

KarenFL, 97 degrees, already?! NOW I remember why I still live in NC! But I still miss FL in the winter. How many more treatments til we get to see “after” pics?

Hi Lyn. Glad to hear you're happy. Sounds like you're going to have quite a garden. I'm envious. As I've mentioned before, I just can't grow things! And Hi Mary. Sorry about the .4 lb., but we know it was just the eating-out. It will soon be gone again!

I’ve really really really GOT to get out of here! I’ve been here almost 3 hours!!! That why I can’t visit here AND get anything done around the house - I STAY TOO LONG! Bye y’all.
NCNancy
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone. Just wanted to pop in for a bit this evening. Not a lot to talk about but that has never stopped me before!

Mary, I love my Iphone 3GS!! I went online and was going to print out the user manual for it but after I saw that it was 130 pages--- I just downloaded it to my computer!! Both of my brothers and my sister bought the Iphone 4 and had nothing but trouble with it--- they all three finally took them back and got the 3GS!! I really like it. You can also put on the Bible app from Youverse and it is wonderful!! I'm still learning more about it everyday but seem to be able to stumble my way through enough to get by!

Nancy, I have a swing on our back patio too-- love to swing! I love pictures and need to get on that this summer--maybe during rainy days!! I bought a digital photo frame and it is great!! One frame for 100's of pictures!!!

Lyn-- good to see you again even though I catch you on Facebook once in awhile.

Zoe, I agree I think we would all love to read your book about the life and times of the Golden Girls!! Wow! What a thought!

Donna sometimes you just have to show that scale whos boss!! How is SamCat? Have you been able to go for any walks with him yet? I haven't yet--everytime I think that I will in the afternoon something comes up or it is raining!! I keep promising them though!

Karen--I'll be so happy when I can get our pool opened for the summer. Right now I'm thinking it will be closer to the middle of May-- after we get back from PA. Don't really want to take the cover off when we aren't going to be here---who knows what we would find when we got back!!

Well, I know I haven't got everyone included but I still think of you all. I can't believe it is already 10:00pm!! It was a beautiful day today and still is a very nice night! Life is good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weather Tues..jpg (4.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #126  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning all,

I woke up early this am and couldn't go back to sleep ~ good thing ~ I had forgotten to set the alarm.

I had been wanting to get up at 6 am one morning I was off and trial a 1/2 hour walk to see if I could do it and still do all my getting ready to go to work stuff and get to work on time. So, since I was up and couldn't go back to sleep, I went and walked. I think I am ok time wise.

It was kind of nice ~ peaceful, not hot yet. Not yet light out ~ so I went with a flashlight (and the street light was on) and circled around the street in front of my house. As it got lighter, I went a little farther and farther. I could hear the birds singing ~ it was nice. The time went by pretty fast ~ painless I did it So, think I will do this every morning now. Really need to.

Sorry I have not been able to do personals lately. I am not getting to spend as much time on the computer ~ maybe in some ways (activity wise) that is a good thing. This new schedule/hours is forcing me to use my time more wisely ~ maybe a good thing too. Thought I would not be able to get stuff done, but am getting stuff done ~ just a little at a time.

When the new schedule/hours started ~ it worked out that I was getting off late every night. That was discouraging. Then we had some better days and for several I got off on time. The last couple, it has been back to getting off late again. I was glad for the ones I was able to get off on time ~ it helps to know that some of the time I will be able to get off on time and that it will not always and forever be late. I just hope and pray that there are more of the on time ones.

Ok, guess I'd better stop fooling around and finish getting ready.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Take care
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #127  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone,

Woke up early. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. Sun is shining..but I think it's supposed to be cool still. Maybe not too cool to walk outside for a change though. I will be going to Curves this evening and doing the Zumba there, so maybe 1/2 our walk. And my weights. I try to lift EOD.

Gayle, Things will get better at work. When we get a new system it's always crazy. We're starting a new one soon too and I expect the same for a bit. Hang in there! Great idea to walk in the morning!

Karen31, I love a porch swing too, but can't talk DH into putting one up. I have one on the back porch, but it's not the same. My grandma always had a porch swing and remember the good times sitting on the porch with her.

Nancy, Enjoy that swing! I just find it so relaxing. I didn't really change my eating habits that much either. Maybe added a few more calories here and there some days, some days not.

Mary, I am FAR from the perfect organzier, but I keep trying too. I find messy too time consuming and frustrating.

Donna, Send your parents, grandparents a thank you note for those good genes. But we all have to play with what we have been dealt. I got fairly good ones too and try not to take them for granted. If i'm going to live to a ripe old age I want it to be a healthy one.

Z, I'm in agreement here. I think this group would make a great book. And you would have several people ready to buy the first books! But it would take your great flair for writing and imigination to make me seem like anything except dull, so feel free to exagerate! A lot!

Lyn, Ok you're making me really want to get outside and play in the dirt! It will still be some time before that happens here though.

Lynn, I hope you are having a lot of fun! Look forward to hearing from you again, with lots of pictures.

Make it a great day,

Freda
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #128  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Sooooooo...."it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..." Not . I miss Mr. Rogers. Okay, so I got hungry last night, and was below my calorie count for the day, so I ate a container of pineapple Greek yogurt with some fresh strawberries mixed in, and a half cup of Fiber One (original) cereal also mixed in. Yum. Sure was good. And not over my calorie limit, either. Yay. It's nice to be able to consider healthy stuff a "treat", you know? Of course, as always, I have to watch my intake of even the healthy stuff, because I can so easily eat more than I should out of EVERY food group. And that, as we all know so sadly and well, is the proverbial road to perdition, or, in our case, the road to once lost and now *found* again pounds .
Yeah, Lyn, the northeast is getting an extremely slow start on spring. I was pounded with rain on the way to work this morning, and from the local weather reports, it seems that you inhabitants of the Cod are being soaked and sogged to death as well. At least it's not ice - but, I must reiterate that if we have a wet summer after all that snow we had this past winter, I will surely stick my head in the oven and turn on the gas .
Oh, my. Backyard (or porch) swings! Could there possibly be anyone out there who doesn't smile thinking about a lazy summer afternoon spent on a swing with a good book, perhaps? Good friends of ours who live up in New Hampshire have one hanging from a tree in their backyard shaped like a swan with wings on the sides and a lovely, long-necked swan head projecting out ahead of you into the air. Truly resurrects childhood dreams and fairy tales of flying on the back of a giant bird. Now, Nancy and Karen31, you have me thinking about how to go about getting myself one of those marvelous contraptions!
Hi Mary, and oh, yes indeedy, the scales are such miserable creatures, recording each and every ounce that we inadvertently - or sometimes deliberately; whatever the case may be - shove down our throats. And sometimes, just to give us an extra poke , they record something - some ounce, or even pound's worth of gain - that we don't deserve at all! This losing weight business sure isn't for sissies, I can tell you that! <looking around> We are some STRONG and DETERMINED women here in Golden Girls territory, and that for sure includes you, Mary! We all just hang in through thick, thin, and not-so-thin....gotta love us, right?
Can't shout out to anyone else this morning; time is growing short, and if I'm to have all next week off, I need to get some work done. Love you all madly, tho...
Have a great day, y'all!

Z
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #129  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning ......We have to bring in a whole bunch of potted flowers, herbs and our peach tree.. Dang snow is coming again. Just got back from therapy, I can start next week going in twice a week, headaches are getting farther apart. Like every 4 days I get the migraine...that's a big improvement. received this email this morning, take heed girls!

Quote:
READ IMMEDIATELY

Anyone-using Internet mail such as
Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled“Here you have it” If you open the file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp

Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #130  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Received this email this morning, take heed girls!
This has been floating around since 2002, in one form or another. No need to panic!!!! http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._beautiful.htm

Can't believe you're still getting snow.... we're still waiting to HAVE snow! It's cloudy today; maybe something will fall out of the clouds?

Last edited by jess1; 04-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey,

Just wanted to show you my swing & my dogwood tree. The pics aren’t the best, but I was trying to hide most of the ugly yard (this is the front yard). At least parts of it are really nice! It’s nice & sunny out today, so I’ve got to get back to work outside. See ya.

NCNancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogwood and swing '11 007.jpg (56.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg dogwood and swing '11 003.jpg (62.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Looks great!! I know you will enjoy it so much!!

Getting ready to go to church -- will check back later this evening!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #133  

Hi everyone..its a glorius sunny day here..i was out on the deck just sitting soaking up the rays.Nancy thats a beautiful swing and your yard is green,very nice i still have 3 feet of snow but the suns warm so its melting.thanks jess and bobbie for the warning,whats wrong with people that start stuff like thatzoe i think you should write a book,i love your posts.i'm trying to loose 10 # befor my 6 month check up.its a goal worth working for so ive stepped up the exercise.besides the boxing for cardio im using wts,and stretchy bands, and lunges in my walker and modified sit ups. i started yesterday and im sore today,i made salmon patties today and the diet cake.its so much easier to have things allready so i dont blind side myself.well that sun is sure tempting me ttfn and hope your day is awsome rosey
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #134  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone!! It's been mostly cloudy today...rained a bit but I see the sun is now out at 5:40 pm! Hope snow isn't next! LOL It's been a good day though no matter the weather. We started our day at the gym doing the usual stuff except I have been tired after just starting back to it so I haven't been using so many weigh machines recently. Hopefully I will get back to doing more but for now an hour is really enough for me. Actually I'm there a little over that as my dh insists on using a few machines so I end up using one or two myself but not as many as I did in the beginning. Before I left this am I was making my "light" mocha drink and my blender starting making wierd sounds and throwing the liquid all over! I had to pour it out to find the problem...one of the blades broke on the ice cubes. So after the gym, and a little grocery shopping, we went to Costco and bought a Magic Bullet. It's not exactly what I wanted but I guess I'll keep it...it did ok with a mocha but not not better than what I had had. I was hoping for a better one. Still I think I will keep it as I don't really want to spend more. I am still not caught up with my house but am doing a little bit each day. Today I got to the living room...which we rarely use...and dusted and vacuumed. Also cleaned the outside of the family room sliding door and the outside of the dining room window. Another thing I did was to pack up some old fabric pieces that I had planned to use in a quilt, but never got too. It's pretty old now but gosh, so many memories...I can't give or throw it away. So I put it in a plastic bag and will keep it a while longer. LOL When I'm gone the kids can throw it out.

I think I have mentioned Peer Trainer on here before. It's a good site that teaches you tools to help you stick to your diet. They now have a Cheat Sheet that you can use to eat right...it is somewhat controversial but is based on their research in what works not only for weightloss but for health and energy. I tried it yesterday and realized that about 1000 of my calories came from the cheats! So I'm trying to do better today. If you're interested you can find a link to the sheets on their FB page. It's free...for now. No calorie or carb counting except that each cheat is about 100 calories.

Dh is calling me...

ETA: Just realized I made a mistake on the Cheats. There are some exceptions: organic raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, lemon, lime and grapefruit are unlimited.

Last edited by maryea; 04-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #135  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

:0 Evening all - Another busy day today. Went to a Crown Jewels (former red hats) luncheon today & as usual it was so much fun. I did manage to stay in my point range-barely. But barely is better than way way over, eh? Today was a bit sunny, mostly cloudy & we can feel spring in the air. I even have daffs blooming. Yeah, I think they were surprised too! Took the dogs for a 90 min. walk down by the river & we all had a nap when we got home! I'm fostering a 12 yr. old ShihTzu (Tutter) whose owner (a neighbor) passed away last week. His son has managed to find Tutter a great new home so that is really good. I'll miss the little guy though as Baxter will. I'm off to bed as I have another early & busy day again tomorrow. Who said one has lots of time when they are retired anyway?! BFN.
Closed Thread