Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #181  

Height: 5'3"

Lynn, I loved your post! I think it is important to take stock every now and then of our lives, where we want to go and what we are willing to do to get there, and even if it is worth it. You and I have similiar stories ...though mine is over a longer period as I have not been nearly as diligent or consistent as you. I am still able to lose if I just stick to my diet even without exercise, but if I reach a point like you where that scale doesn't move I would reach the same conclusion. I too know that whether I ever reach my ideal goal or settle for something a little less (more actually) I will always have to watch my eating due to having diabetes for one thing and also just because those pounds can creep back up too quickly on me. But I know there will be a time when I too will decide, enough is enough, I will try to control but not try to lose more. As long as I am healthy that's enough. Life is too short to let that scale run us!

Last edited by maryea; 09-27-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #182  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

I woke up to the sound of rain on the awning outside my bedroom. It could have lulled me back to sleep, but too much to do today. So, up and at um. I have to go to the hospital today for a class. I hate those. It's an hour and I know it will end up being at least an 1 1/2 because of all the bickering that will take plave. I am always amazed at how hard grown women will work to keep from working!

Mary, Yes tomatoes will continue to ripen when you bring them in. In fact, I had tomatoes last year for Thanksgiving. Just pull them and put them on the window cill, but don't let them get too cold. If you have tons, you can wrap them in news paper and keep them in a dark place and they will ripen too. I did that one time, put them on a large cardboard and put them under the bed. I had tomatoes at Christmas. But it's a little trouble and you do have to chevk them occasionally.

Karen, your garlic story made me laugh. One of our (single) nurses went home one night and had nothing in the house to eat except a tub of garlic in oil. She ate the entire tub with bread. She absoluteally reeked of garlic for days afterwards. And not just her breath. She could just walk by and you could smell her, it was coming out her pores.

Rosey, sounds like you are almost ready for surgery. Keep exercising and eating well. Every little bit now will mean a faster recovery later.

Donna, Raspberries, yum! that dessert with raspberries in the cup and sprinkled with powdered sugar sounds perfect. Elegant and good for you too. And this is a timely post, I just saw raspberries on sale for 1$ a carton at the grocery store. Cool weather makes me a happy camper too!

Z, I watched Horders too. I'm sure there has to be some mental illness there. But it sure motivated me to get up and clean. I don't like mess and clutter anyway and have really down sized all the THINGS I have, but I cleaned drawers and closets and storage area's for days afterwards. If I need any more incentive to clean I'll watch it again! ha!

Bobbi, I see you have joined the ranks of us weight lifters. Sounds kind of like ARNOLD, doesn't it? But it just makes your upper body strength better. I don't actually have a set time I have to lift, but it's usually during a TV show that I like watching, like Dr. OZ. So, i'm distracted, i'm getting my strength training in...

Mary, I don't diet any more. I think staying on a diet is just too hard. This is the way I eat! Focus on health and exercise and getting your body strong. The rest will come.

Freda
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #183  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning, just wanted to say Hi everyone.
I have errands in town today, have to drop some money off for poor grandsons college fund and decided to bring some apple muffins into my DD's work place for their coffee break. I have a library book in that I ordered and my Alpaca wool socks are here and ready to be picked up.
Have a good one!
P.S. Freda...yes, lifting weights are easy to do. I'm not terribly serious about it other than I do them everyday. I started last March in my bone building class and decided to do 100 reps a day at home. The 5 pound weights are getting too easy for me and I was thinking of doing more reps but they told me I should increase the weights, not the reps.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #184  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
A quick check-in...... nothing much is going on here. Status quo: boring or serene?

When I poured my first cup of coffee and it dribbled out the top of the pot (GRRRRRRRR), I wondered what really, really, really just sends you off the edge? I'm not talking politicians or Iran here; I mean the little things, like perforations that don't perf, hands that are still wet after you dry them... I find this fascinating, so do tell!

I think I'd better go do something constructive!! Hope your day is a good one. Be safe, everyone!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Saw the podiatrist yesterday. He took off the toenail but said the blister is healing nicely. I got a new pair of running shoes that are 1/2 size larger. Did my 35 min fast walking this morning.

Last night my DD & SIL and I went to an Italian restaurant. I ate only half of the dinner, but still gained a pound. WAY too much salt. Going light on calories today.

Lynn
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #186  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Rain, rain, go away....because everyone on the turnpike has forgotten how to drive, and all I DID today was drive in and out of Boston fifteen times! Okay, just twice, but still no fun in the pouring rain, honest! Meetings in the city, then back at my office, then back in the city. Ridiculous. 82 1/2 weeks!
Lynn, you and I started, I think, here on the fat chicks at about the same time, with approximately the same goals. I haven't lost the last ten, either, and I'm starting to adjust to 155 too. Not altogether willingly, but as a kind of default position, I guess. PLUS, of course, I'm so lacksadaisical about exercise. Hate it, truth be told. Well, don't hate it exactly - I enjoy moving about when I'm actually DOING something, but the idea of exercise for the sake of just, well, exercising, just feels really annoying to me. Even walking - which I did for a long time in front of Leslie Sansone videos - bores me to no end if I'm not actually going anywhere. On the bright side, DH and I are planning a nice, day-long hike on the mid-state trail http://www.midstatetrail.org/ not this weekend (plans with the family for my DD's birthday) but the weekend after. Looks interesting, right?
Oh, no pics just yet of Turtle/Tut. Just haven't gotten around to taking any. Will, though. Soon.
Lessee...what *little* things work my last nerve? Well, PT, ONE thing that drives me 'round the bend is when I ask DH to get something out of the refrigerator, or out of a cabinet, and he stands there looking in for several long minutes, and it's obvious that he can't find it. I go to look myself, and it's right on the shelf in the very front, staring him right in the face. Grrrrrrrr. That, and the way people drive in the rain - either way too fast, and in danger of hydroplaning right into ME, or way too slow, causing people to endanger themselves trying to get around and past them. More things annoy me, of course - I mean, so many things do - but nothing else comes immediately to mind at the moment. Maybe we could have this a a regular feature? Like a "pet peeve" day every week or something?
Freda, watching Hoarders didn't incite me to clean my house at all. In fact, the exact opposite. I thought, "Wow. Awful that some people live like that! My house looks downright sterile in comparison. I think I can wait until the weekend to vacuum....."
Karen3, Oh, I LOVE garlic, too! DH prefers onions, and when we met, wouldn't even consider using garlic to season anything. I'm glad to report that he's expanded his taste buds a bit over the past ten or so years, and now enjoys it somewhat sparingly, but at least won't complain when I serve something with garlic in it.
Mary, we have always had cats as far back as I can remember - I grew up with them, and then we always had two or more when my own kiddos were growing up. Now all the grandkids are growing up with cats, too. Tut climbs into my bed every night, gets down under the covers and settles himself up against the backs of my knees and purrs so loudly you can hear him practically in the next room. Lulls me right to sleep! Don't know what we did without him, and that's the truth!
Omigosh, Rosey! That stress test sounds downright scary! I hope they don't try to give me one, EVER! (Fat chance, actually, considering that I so seldom go to the doctor's). I am reminded, however, that I really should. (Ugh). You just keep up the good work, lady. I can't wait to see the end result, and I know you can't either!
Bobbi, selling your MIL's summer clothes is no great sin, honey. Knowing how she's behaved towards you and your DH, I swear I would've sold HER if I were in your shoes! But you know me...no patience whatsoever. I'll probably be a hundred times worse if I live long enough to get old and crank(ier).
Well, off to see the wizard (or reasonable facsimile) or maybe just to have a bath? Nice hot tub on a rainy night might be just what the doctor would order if I ever went to one, eh?
Take good care, all...

Z
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #187  

hi everyone..just got back from visiting my neighbor and also my mil..it was so much fun to get out and do that..my mil new place is very comfy and the people are kind..my mil still thinks shes going home and that makes me feel sad for her as we all know its not going to happen..in my moving about today i didnt use my w chair at all..i used my walker and managed just fine..things that bug me are cupboards left open,dishes not scraped,salt all over the table when my dh salts his food, that look that my dh gives me when i ask for help and he doesnt want to be bothered(like a 2 yr old having a tantrum lol)these are things he does that bug me..other things are dropping things on the floor and cant pick them up,my soap opera being pre-empted by tennis(who watches tennis in the middel of the day anyways)telemarket phone calls,dr's that have a god complex and call me a round pumpkin,oh i could name a few more lol but im usually good natured..hoping your day is going well rosey
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #188  

Default Mrs

I know I have several pet peeves but when I tried to think I couldn't think of a one!! But Rosey, your post helped as I agree with the cupboard doors being left open..that drives me crazy. An it's kinda funny, kinda worrisome at his age...but I have an almost 4 year old gs who's the same way...when a cupboard door is open, he'll tell his mom..."close the door mommy! close the door mommy!" It's like he can't stand it til it's closed.

Also the salt on the table...I hate a grimy or gritty table..or floor for that matter...but table is worse.

Just thought of another one...I hate sheets that are up around my neck when I'm trying to sleep. I don't mind a blanket being high but for some reason sheets bug me if they are too high.

Anything that doesn't work the way it's suppose too..I just want to get rid if it NOW! LOL my dh says he's afraid if he can't work anymore I'll get rid of him! But I assure him I'll never do that..after 48 years I can't imagine life without him.

Last edited by maryea; 09-28-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #189  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Mary, I don't diet any more. I think staying on a diet is just too hard. This is the way I eat! Focus on health and exercise and getting your body strong. The rest will come.

Freda
Freda - this is basically the same way I am. I do have to count carbs and calories to a certain extent due to my diabetes, but I refuse to be on a diet where I have to limit the kinds of food I eat. I eat whatever I want except I just try to not go over on my calories and carbs. I do go over now and then and I don't worry about it but try not to allow that too often as I don't want to start having more problems r/t diabetes. Right now I exercise very little but hopefully I will get back to more of that before long. I just try to stay moving and not sit too long.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good evening! I have so many "little" things that bug be but one I can think of right off the bat is other people leaving their hair in the drain in the bath tub!! I don't even like to clean out MY HAIR and I sure don't like cleaning other peoples!! I have finally got this through to Tim but my son and his GF are so bad about it!! I went in there one day last week after Tim and I had showered and sprinkled Comet in the tub and left it!! It was there all day---no one said a word,I guess they didn't need showers that day!! GRRRR!!! So many things but right now I can only think of things that they are doing that are driving me crazy!! They did rent a place last week BUT havent' moved in yet--- they decided that they really want to paint and decorate first!! Tim and I would have liked to do that here too--- but that didn't happen.. Somethings you just have to work around. OK, Enuff!!! LOL!!

This picture of my Dad was when he was in his early 30's. My Aunt is in the process of taking old movies and putting them on DVDs and I borrowed this one to look at. When I saw this picture I just had to figure a way to save it. Everyone used to call him "Bing" because he looked so much like Bing Crosby. I still find it hard to believe that he has been gone over a year now. Really miss him a lot.

OK--I need to get back and get some stuff done an I want to watch Dancing with the Stars-- right now I have the Biggest Loser recording and will watch it later. Too many good shows to watch!!

Have a great night!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad.jpg (13.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #191  
Bobbi

Good Morning girls!
Zoe...I love the idea of having a weekly pet peeve day, we can commiserate and laugh at our peeves. I hate talking on the phone, I like short, get to the point phone calls. Sometimes when someone gets a little 'long winded', I snap my finger at DH to call me out loud and then I can say, DH is calling, gotta go. Or I set the oven buzzer on the stove to go off, ooops gotta go or my cookies will burn. Or the old stand by, the UPS man is here, gotta go!
As to MIL's clothes, I didn't feel bad at all, I didn't even ask money for them. I put them out at the curb with a FREE sign just to get rid of them.
Quote:
Bobbi, selling your MIL's summer clothes is no great sin, honey. Knowing how she's behaved towards you and your DH, I swear I would've sold HER if I were in your shoes! But you know me...

The October thread is posted, can you believe how fast summer went? But the older I get, the faster it goes. This summer was the first time since I started the Golden girls thread that we had so many posts over the summer. (Usually it dwindles out to a few posts here and there.) We've averaged 232.25 post a month since January. It's been great getting to know everyone and we all seem to have a great sense of humor. I especially love when you all post pictures, unfortunately I can't do that anymore. The down loads fail, 3FC's have tried to help me with the problem but to no avail.
I have a new printer that won't scan pictures, I'm going to do a remote control thingie with the HP tech guy today. I have carrots to dig today too, I might be able to do it in shorts since it's suppose to reach the 70's. Yipeee! Have a great day.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #192  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Well, I have to say that your pet peeves prove that I'm a totally neurotic basketcase! I get furious about LITTLE things, like when I put something on a shelf, turn away, and it jumps off and crashes to the floor! Or when I tear off a piece of paper towel or toilet paper and a left-behind piece dangles. Obviously, I need a life!! Hahaha

Otherwise (!), life is good. We're still warm, but it's quite tolerable. Unfortunately, we haven't had a DROP of moisture since August 7th, and that's really bad. The fire danger is high, high, high... I know the east coast is getting too much; it'd be nice if Mama Nature would spread it around!

No news, also obviously... status quo. Rosey, I think good thoughts for you, and Mary, I think your DH is very lucky to have you. Freda, Bobbi, PT/Zoe, KarenMOFLO, Jane, everyone, have a lovely day!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #193  

Just biding time until we go to the airport to meet our dd. We will just watch the kids and luggage while she gets her rental car. Looking forward to seeing them again. Do wish I'd gotten more sleep though as I'm tired today. I worked ahead yesterday so I wouldn't have so much housework to do today with the kids coming and knew I'd be baking cookies. I also planned to mow the lawns today but the grass is too wet. The sun is shining now though and it is very pleasant.

Just remembered the high chair in the attic and climbed up to get it. Of course, dh thought he should get it but I didn't let him. He thinks he can do everything! He probably could but if he injured that leg again, oh, my...so I continue to limit him at times while allowing him to do a lot still. I tell him by Dec if the bone (x-ray) is looking good, I will back off.

I got the baby bed set up yesterday fresh sheets on the guest bed and little bed in my office for the 4 yr old. So think I'm all set! Their flight was delayed and the kids were entertaining everyone in the airport.

Well, time to go so have a good rest of the day...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #194  
Bobbi

Good bye September, hello to Fall...beautiful changing trees from green to reds and oranges. Hello to corn stalks and pumpkins in the front yards, holloween candy at the grocery stores. (Crabby Maxine says, "They call this candy bar "fun size? Heck, it takes 3 or 4 of them just to get me mildly amused.!") Hello to sticking to our diets BECAUSE the holidays are around the corner. Hello to svelte, slender, lithe bodies that will float through the holidays to amaze our friends and families. Ha Ha! I can only dream!

On a serious note, do enjoy the beauty of nature, the crisp clean smell fall today. Have a good one.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-30-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning all....Bobbi what i'd give for 70ish day. The weatherfools promised us a "cold" front that would keep Nicole over on the East Coast. Well Nicole stayed East and we stayed hot and humid. You can wring the air out it's so heavy. Fall clothing here seems to be white socks with your sandals...ugh!

I thought I'd get the quarter panel on the car fixed without reporting it to the insurance. 2 est were $920 and $1174....wonder if the guys were looking at the same dents? Anyway turned it into the insurance and adjuster just checked it out and agrees with estaminates. Poor Nancy she has a booboo...I have spent past few weeks wondering when I would get first windshield ding. Never dreamed it would be the quarter panel....

pet peeves...the list is endless. I am developing into a cranky old lady. I absolutely can not stand cars passing me with the radios blasting and the booming booming sound. I go into road rage in a heart beat.
I hate to call anyone to dinner...makes me feel like a servant, now I push the intercom buttom and it makes the phones ring all over the house....Dash loves it and drags DH into the dining room asap. And a real biggy is people who think it's funny to call me by my first name (Karen is my middle name). Now legally I am Marjorie...I sign my checks as Marjorie and I have been Marjorie for 70 years, when making a business call I call me Marjorie...so why is it funny to call me Marjorie....unless you knew my mother and knew what a difficult woman she was!

Did anyone watch Survivor last night. How interesting to watch how egos and me firsts take over. Jeff was dumbfounded that they voted off a known leader. The other tribe voting off a strong male.....nothing is for the good of the community...Me, Me, Me. Kind a microcosm of our society today, I think.

Dh laughs at me, but I like to watch the reality shows. It is kinda like watching from a sociological study in human behavior. Even after all my years of working acute psych people surprise me.

Feeling bad...will finish the last book of the Endless Forest series today and she takes 2 years for another book so be 2112 for that and another year until new book from Dragonflys in Amber series...I do love big fat books.

Need to go start that white bean soup...will report back on taste/calories etc....hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-30-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread