Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #18

Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

A new month... and the election will soon be over. Sooooo tired of the ads at this point.

CD, I like the idea of going out for dinner. We don't get any kids in my community, and that's fine with me. I don't need candy in the house.

Jude, yeah, I've found that having expectations about others and then being disappointed when they don't live up to them is a dead-end street.

gailr42, again, what a great trip! The bread... I'm not a big bread eater, but... I could go nuts on good Italian bread.

the slim me, flowingair, pamatga, EZMONEY, and our other MIAs...

I'm fighting the good fight with my excess pounds from two months of travel. I just have to keep on keeping on with it.

I'll be out doing "political action" with a sign on a street corner today for an hour or so, and then I think I'm done... whew...

Have a good one! Make it so!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-01-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Unexpected sunny November First

Good signs: New month, new thread, sunny, and warm in the Boston area.

Think I'll get a last ride on my bike before I relegate it to the basement for the winter season.

I too look forward to the end of the elections. I plan to walk down to my polling place at 6:45am on Tuesday for the 7:00am opening - I'm worried about unplanned for crowds at the polls.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Beautiful and sunny but also cold and windy . . . typical for this time of year in northeastern Nova Scotia.

Have a great November 1st everybody . . . see you all later . . .
Old 11-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #4  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Thansks for the support guys. Keep it coming. I am not so crazy today.
I got a quick reality check yesterday. Had too much sugar and was a basket case. But I think I am moving forward. Nothing like a bad day to put you back on track.

Happy Birthday CD. Sounds like you had a great evening. I am in a gated place so no kids there. Could not handle it anyway.

That was some trip to Italy. Oh I have never been off the continant. Sounds wonderful. Not sure about the bread though. Cheese maybe.

Meowee hope things are wll with you.

Hi to billy blue eyes. Hope everyone is having a good Saturday. I am doing some OT but only 6 hours. Going home later to veg out and watch movies.
Back to the gym on Monday. Only went once this week but better than zero.
Ciao....Jude
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - I hope you are having a great Saturday! I've spent it working around the house. Nothing like being gone for a while to have the dust get so thick that I can hardly see the tables.

We had a great evening out - ran into friends at the restaurant and hung out with them for a while. We still had a few trick-or-treaters after we got home, but not many.

Spent another chunk of the day working on church stuff for tomorrow's services. In fact, I still have a ton to do

The weather here is still beautiful - I wish I had time to enjoy it - maybe tomorrow. The leaves still need to be raked, the garden winterized, and we try to get the Christmas nativity up before the snow flies for good.

Off to do some vacuuming.

Laurie
Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Happy Sunday to everyone!

CD, I hope you swaddle that baby Jesus well in your nativity. Someone in my former neighborhood had a nativity scene but they didn't wrap up the baby... and it looked so cold and uncomfortable out there!

No leaf raking here, but it's about time to get up on the roof and see about the gutters. We have a large live oak in the back, and they drop leaves in the fall, but not all of them. Enough to clog a rain gutter, though.

It's warmed up again and it was raining when I got up.

You all remembered to change back to standard time, right?

BillBlueEyes! Glad to see you! I notice that you have a Beck thread going in General Diet Plans.

meowee, tell us how you're doing beyond the weather report sometime, OK?

hijude, I'm glad to hear you are less crazy... What kind of work do you do?

See y'all later!
Jay
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
BillBlueEyes! Glad to see you! I notice that you have a Beck thread going in General Diet Plans.
Yep, the Beck Diet Solution has helped me to stand down all those emotional thoughts that whisper "food would solve this problem" to me. I've been on that Beck thread for some 13 months now - I just love it.

Have you read the Beck book?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #8  

Bill, while I am not doing Beck specifically, I have read the book and a lot of her concepts have been incorporated into my plan. She has some solid strategies - especially for emotional eaters, like me (well - formerly me, anyway)

Jay - We have big maple trees in our yard - we finally took all the rain gutters down. They were constantly clogging and were such a pain to clean. We put splash blocks down in the few places we didn't have cement and just let the rain come off the roof. As we get older, we are trying to pare down the number of "maintenance tasks" that the property requires. Thus the siding of the shed this year and planting more perennials and the like.

Reorganizing the shed and garage contents will allow us to not plow snow to the shed this year too

DH is working today (consequence of taking two weeks off for our trip to CA). I think that is the thing I will like most when he retires - we will actually be able to do things on the weekends. Right now, he works either Sat. or Sun. every other weekend

I'm still behind on my house chores. Church stuff took way longer than I planned yesterday. But, the results were worth it - folk were quite pleased. So, I'm off to get some laundry and cooking for the week done. And then tackle some of those leaves.

Hope you all have a fun Sunday! And that you did enjoy that extra hour of sleep I know I did!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #9  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hate to admit it sometimes but the weather report is probably the most exciting thing about my life right now . . . anything else sounds like a health complaint.

Today we finally have white stuff falling out of the sky, but it isn't sticking around.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #10  
Day at a Time

Default Sunday

Hope you are all having a good day. I have a big maple in front of my garage and I was just out there in the pouring rain trying to get some of the leaves out of my gutter.
So yes it is a miserable job. I am in a strata and it is supposed to get done but they all decide to come down on the same day.
I work for a huge automobile insurance corportation in Canada. I work as a claims adjuster. So could it be any more stressful?? Only when the call is ESL!! My shattered nerves. Not good for a person trying to detox from sugar.
I just went and weighed in today and that will be the last one till the first of December. This will be so hard.
We all know that no matter the number it is never the right one. So new challenge.
I am now down a few pounds so that is encourageing.
Does anyone here ever night eat. Now I know that may sound strange but under stress I have gotten up in the night and gotten something to eat.
I noticed last night when I went to bed that I was hungry. Well I thought I was. Anyway woke up an hour or so later and am out in the kitchen munching on the wrong things. It is very hard to find a wrong thing here but I managed too. This is something I fought years ago in my 30's and turned out I was aneamic. I think it is just triggered by stress. Maybe if I tried some meditation before bed that would help. Or my Thai chi dvd. I will try that tonight. GRRRRRRRRR have a good day and then blow it on unconcious eating...

How is everyone doing today. It is wet here and I still have to run out to the store.
See you later.....Jude
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to all, Sorry to be missing in action for so long. I went to camp with the fifth grade, recovered over a couple days. Then, work, work, work! Grades are due and parent teacher conferences are coming up. So I've just been bogged under. I did catch up a little with your trips.

Laurie-It sounds like you had a great time in California. You sure put the miles on your hiking boots. Do you walk with one pole or two?

Hi to everyone else and welcome all the new people. have a great week!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hello, flowingair! Glad to hear you survived the camping trip!

Busy day, busy day... and it's not over yet!

CD, I like the idea of no rain gutters... but I'm not sure it would work here.

hijude, an insurance claims adjuster?? Wow, I guess there's a little stress... Wow... What do you do to reduce your stress level? About the eating at night... and possible anemia... Have you considered Geritol? Or a good one-a-day multivitamin? The only thing I can think to suggest is that you eat a protein snack before bed--something safe, without sugar. Cheese, a hardboiled egg,

meowee, white stuff huh? Maybe you've been shoveling?

BillBlueEyes, I haven't read the book--I should see if it's at our library.

Have a good evening, all.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-03-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #13  

Jay - LOL, I don't remember seeing that smiley - and it sure fits what you do!!! Hope you get it done soon - and that you get paid in a timely fashion, too!

Flowing - We had a district-wide PD day today - and I was not required to attend - so I got to use the day as "catch up". What a blessing!!!!

We hike with two poles. I researched a lot before we decided to get poles. I'm really glad I went with the two pole system - it is so much easier and balanced! We have rubber feet for them, so we can use them for urban or trail hiking.

Lots of folk around here are Nordic walkers. It is very common to see several people with poles on any given day - just walking around the lake path, or even in town.

Jude - I second what Jay said about night eating. I am miserable if I go to bed hungry - I make sure I have a snack in the evening - and I also make sure it is a "protein snack" I like almonds or walnuts, light string cheese, egg, Flatout bread with Laughing Cow - stuff like that.

I do my yoga in the morning, but DH does a Chi routine in the evening and it helps him.

Linda - keep the snow please, I'm not ready for it!!! Hope you are doing well!

As mentioned, I had a catch-up day at work today. I almost feel like my head is above water - at least temporarily.

Then again, I suddenly realized that it is November and I haven't even BEGUN my Christmas shopping. Normally, I would have it virtually done by now. I need to spend some serious time with my computer over the next couple weekends. And - the older I get, the harder it seems to be to pick out gifts for folk.

For our American chickies - Don't forget to VOTE tomorrow
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #14  
Day at a Time

Well it is Monday and now that the time has changed it feels like the middle of the night and it is only 630pm. It is cold and raining here. Brrr.

I seem to be having an off program today. I was doing ok then I got to work. Work is the biggest challenge that I have. But have to find a way to deal with that without the candy being my coping tool.

Here is too a better evening and tomorrow.
I am liking this food program. I guess because I know I have found something that will work. I just am so used to failing at this it has become a pastime.

I need to get to the gym. Made it one day last week and am hoping for 2 or more this week. So tomorrow I will go for sure.

Oh we will all be waiting to see the election results from your country. Looks like a close one but I think Obama will be in. I know Florida is a big swing vote so we will see who turns up to vote.

So have a good night all and will chat tomorrow.....Jude
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #15  

Jude - are there some healthy snacks you can have around that will satisfy you and keep you from grabbing the candy?

I find that keeping food within reach is really important for me. I keep snacks in my purse, my desk, my car - I feel like a squirrel sometimes. They are everywhere!!

Speaking of which - Mozart (the extremely strange 11 year old dog) did the same thing. During one of our trips this summer, we had ordered Balance Bars from Amazon. They came and DS2 opened the box and left the carton of bars on the dining room table. When we got home, we found an empty carton - which meant that 15 Balance Bars had been consumed by our darling mutt.

But, we discovered throughout the summer (and as recently as yesterday) that he never ate the bars - he hid them. We found them in flower pots, under bushes, in the pond, in the wood pile - even in an old bucket we used for plucking weeds. With the one yesterday, we are only missing two of them.

Hope you all had a good day - I'm gonna finish up a few chores and then actually turn on the TV and watch the returns.
Closed Thread