Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #46  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Laurie I am suprised that you have to hem pants and you are 5'4.
I am 5'2 and I find things are usually the right length. I always wonder what the taller people do. Maybe skinny clothes are made longer.

I am taking it easy. I had a couple of appointments today. But tomorrow I am going to an alanon meeting and then to a friends in the evening. Want to get some water color done. It has been ages. I love to sit and paint but all the ying and the yang have to come together. So will see.

Jay good luck with the workouts. I emailed a trainer and asked his advice and he said:

"I would recommend you do 10 minutes cardio, 10 minutes weights (lower body, fairly heavy), 10 cardio, 10 weights (upper body, again fairly heavy), 10 cardio. Try to keep your heart rate up around 120 throughout. This 50-minute workout has lots of variety and will keep you from getting bored. The heavier weights will kick-start your metabolism. There are hundreds of core exercises that will help, and you should do some of them during your strength workouts, but just the act of stepping up your strength training will help. Once the weight is coming off we can increase the intensity of the core work."

I have not tried it yet. It just might kill me but you get the idea. I told him my age and weight and so that was his recommendation.

It is cold and rainy here.

This is a picture out my front door. Makes you want to stay inside.
So I am happy to say that the sugar thing has calmed down. Plan on getting some great rest for the rest of my days off. Have a great book to read as well. I love to just be able to chill out. Not something one can do when working.

Have a great Thursday everyone.....Jude
Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #47  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Good Morning . . .

Haircut is great (almost always the same, though -- just part of the rut I call my life ). Still haven't gotten back to those aprons I'm making for Christmas but I did almost finish a sweater I started knitting about a year ago. Anything to avoid those aprons.

Today is the mall-crawl and we've decided to hve chinese for lunch. Discovered that a little local restaurant that used to have the most horrible chinese food has changed hands and now has the best I've ever tasted -- actually seems like real food -- of course, still too salty, but I had some a week ago and it did not cause too much water retention.

Other than that, nothing exciting for me . . . it's getting colder and colder around here and right now very overcast but we are supposed to get sun later.

Have a great Thursday everybody. . .
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #48  

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone, Yesterday I worked at Curves for my DIL. I'm just afraid she is over extending herself, trying to do everything! I do enjoy it though, meet some nice people, and get my work out done while I am there. I brought my Gd home with me afterwards and then took her to dance class that evening. Day was gone after that.

Jude, the picture out your front door is lovely. Do you get a lot of fog? I'm 5'1" and I almost always have to hem pants. i did find jeans that fit well and are long enough at GAP.

Laurie, Those "ahha" moments come when we least expect them and make everything worth while, huh? I like to mix my workout up too, but find few video's that will hold my interest. I usually do a step routine while watching the TV. Or do the treadmill or go to Curves. I am so boring and predictable!!

Jay, how are those workout going?

make it a good day, Freda

Jay,
Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #49  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jude, I dunno. In my experience, a lot of so-called trainers just don't understand who they are dealing with when they work with older, overweight women. That regimen would kill me off on the first day, and I'm pretty darned fit. I guess it's about what I would expect from an internet inquiry... do you have any fitness centers near you, like YMCA?

I'm off to the gym in an hour or so myself. I joined a chain called "Anytime Fitness" which is the same idea as "24 Hour Fitness." It's OK. I could also get a YMCA membership, but the Y is pretty far from my house and Anytime is only a mile and a half from me. The workouts are going OK, slim me. My weight is slowly starting to come down, but I dare not say anything too positive about it. We have a dinner coming up this Saturday, so I'm already trying to get my head in the right frame.

meowee, I hope you enjoyed the Chinese food. I don't go near those places anymore.

Other than that... mostly the same for me today.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #50  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jude - DH is 5'7" (actually 5'6 1/2" though he won't admit it) so I don't wear heels very often, and very low heels even then. Thus, I have to hem most pants. It seems I am a "tween" - many petites are too short (though petite dresses fit me very well), and regulars are too long. Only by an inch or two - but - it still means hemming

That is a pretty aggressive workout. When I started, I did 30 minute routines and that was plenty. I still do 30 minutes unless I am doing WATP, which takes between 40-60 minutes. I have a lot of 50 minute videos (5 - 10 minute segments) and I still only do 3 of the segments, even now. I hate to contradict a trainer, since I'm not qualified to give anyone workout advice, but I would break up your workout into smaller chunks than 50 minutes. And, remember - walking can be cardio

Maybe something like 10-15 minutes upper body weights, then later do 20 minutes of cardio.

Next day - lower body weights and cardio.

See how it goes, and increase as you feel ready.

Linda - hope you enjoyed the mall crawl and Chinese I love our Chinese restaurant, there food is quite good with LOTS of veggies

Freda - GAP, huh? I've never been in there. Maybe I will have check it out next time we get to a mall. Your post made me smile - I can't work out in front of the TV - it doesn't hold my attention. I tried working out in front of the TV and listening to audio books at the same time - that worked for a while. Something about doing a video workout at 6 am before I am really awake enough to protest that works for me - strange, but I just happy that I found something I seem to be able to stick with. Of course it requires buying a new DVD or two periodically - thank heaven for Internet shopping. I don't think our big box stores carry much.

Jay - hope you had a great workout at the gym! Having one so close is GREAT! We have a small fitness center across the street from my office. But, they don't have a pool or a lot of classes, so I don't think I would enjoy them long term. I'm holding out for the "Y", I think.

A good day here - yucky rainy weather, with snow moving in before the weekend is out

I still have leaves that need raking too. Maybe I can get out after work tomorrow if the weather cooperates. If not, they will always be there in the spring
Old 11-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #51  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

OMG . . . from my point of view, you guys make me so jealous -- I never met a pair of readymade pants I didn't have to shorten. Not only am I short, but all my 5'2" seems to be in my torso anyway. Geez, I can wear some of the longer capris as pants. Yep, my arms are really short too.

Well . . . yesterday's Chinese did garner me two extra pounds this morning. I know it's only www so I'm not tooooooo upset. The calories were not bad. Today will be filled with OP eating and lots of extra water guzzling.

May have to make another shopping run since today is looking nice and sunny and the temperatures are going up again but the forecast for the weekend is lots of rain and I so much prefer sun. What is getting really though is that the temperature for Sunday is predicted to be 20C/68F. The seasonal normal for this time of year is usually about 5C/41F.

Have a fun Friday . . .
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #52  
Day at a Time

Arrow

I have never attempted to do that workout. I think it is a killer workout. Like you say Jay not really set for a woman my age or weight.
I have a gym that is 2 blocks from me. I need to go more. I wish they had a pool that would be awesome. I usually do 15 minutes on 3 different cardio machines. I do bike and eliptical and treadmill. Kinda breaks it up. I keep my heart rate over 120-130 and that works for me. Sometimes I do a few weights and try and do some stretches before I leave. Some times the cardio is only 10 min on each machine but that still gives me 30 min. It really flys by that way.
Saying that I have not been once this week!
Always next week.

It is my son's birthday on the 18th. He will be 27. I have a gift and a card for him but I can not get him to come over. I tried last night to make plans to stop by but he could not talk and then did not call me back and he won't. No time for mom.
The last time he was over was last Christmas.

I would like to know how hard is it supposed to be?? I know in my heart that I do not deserve this but I still end up feeling like I must be some terrible person. Oh well more alanon in order I see. I am going to try to get to 2 meetings a week. Otherwise I will end up back face down in the food.
It is hard to miss the love that you do not have, but I do.

Already thinking about Chinese!! yummmm. I am just trying to step out of the picture for now. My biggest worry is that it is a huge excuse to eat. So far so good. I am off to a great OA meeting on Saturday. The only thing worse would be to go off on a binge. So trying to stay focused.

This has been a pattern for me in the past. So I do not have to take on anyones elses stuff and need to try and keep my chin up and move forward.

In the picture from my front door that is rain and fog stuck in the trees. We had a beautiful sunny day the next day. Today is cold.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday and the weekend is here!!!

Last edited by hijude; 11-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #53  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I do OK with petite sizes. I'm 5'3".

I've decided that I have to do some organizing this weekend. De-cluttering! CD, you're an inspiration! My desk is out of control, and things must be done!

Jude, a gym 2 blocks away? I'd be there every day! What a great opportunity to reduce your stress.

You didn't ask, Jude, but why not just mail your son the card and gift?

We're going out to a dinner tomorrow night, and I'm already planning ahead to psych myself up for not overeating. We'll see if I can do it! Wish me luck.

Have a good one!

Jay
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #54  

Hi all - Jude - Stay strong and realize that you cannot - no matter how hard you try or how much you want it - control someone else's behavior - particularly when they are your child. Keep up with the meetings, they will help you stay focused and your emotions in check. And, when the emotions are under control - the food usually follows - at least it does for me. I will keep you in prayer this next week. I'm with Jay - mail the card. Do the loving Mother thing regardless of whether his behavior deserves it. Then, let it go.

Linda - hope you found lots of wonderful things shopping

Jay - I'm betting that you will do fine with that dinner out. You are back OP and doing well (slowly and steadily moving in the right direction) - you won't let a few tempting morsels get the best of you.

Good luck with the desk! I'm going to tackle the dining room hutch and shelves.

And - I'm back OP for the next couple weeks. I would love to drop one more pound before our trip to TN for Thanksgiving. That will give me a 2-3 lbs. cushion.

Have a great, productive weekend all! Stay strong!

Last edited by CountingDown; 11-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #55  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

So far, one of those www pounds have now departed . . . another high intake of water day coming up.

Weather forecast seems to be coming true also -- already over 15C/60F and it's raining.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #56  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, Important day today. GS's football tournament and DS is coaching. Of course it's miserable out, cold and raining cats and dogs. I'm dressing warm, taking extra socks, but I know I will end up cold and wet. So is the life of a sports GM. DH is so excited you would think he was playing.

Jude, I have to agree with everyone else. Mail the birthday card and gift. If your son can't give you what you want right now, maybe later. Keep the door open.

Jay, Good luck with the organizing. It's amazing how much you can get in in an hour or so a day. And how good it makes you feel!

Linda, Raining here too, and cold. Congratulation on the weight loss!!

Laurie, I'm sure you will be able to drop the pound and give your self some "cushion" before your trip. You do so well.

make it a good day, Freda
Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #57  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey folks,

We had rain this morning, which kinda put the damper on taking a walk. But, here it is, 2 pm, and I have done the floor in both bathrooms, moved the furniture and rolled up the rug in the TV area and cleaned that floor, then did the whole kitchen floor and my office. Then I vacuumed the screen porch (has outdoor carpet). And then I got the fireplace ready to go for the season. So far I've eaten 725 cals. and hope to keep it right there to allow for the dinner around 5:30.

Now, what do you not see in that story? That's right, there is no organizing and decluttering. Evidently I would rather clean like a banshee than organize stuff. Well, now I have no excuse, and a couple of hours, so I think I'll just start on a pile somewhere and go from there...

Laurie, what part of TN do you go to? I may have asked before... I've been to Cookeville and Monterey area.

Freda, how was the game? Did your team win?

See you all!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-15-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #58  

Hi all - miserable weather up here today too! Thus, I had lots of time to get to my "chores".

Jay, I had to laugh at your post. I paid bills, did laundry, even cleaned the bathroom - I stalled on my de-clutter chore as long as I could! Congrats on getting all that cleaning done though - quite an impressive list!

Freda - hope you are warm and dry now! And that the game went well

Linda - One down Congrats!

Well, I DID finally get around to starting on the dining room And, once I got started, I didn't stop until I had done the whole room - all the cabinets and drawers, I even washed the curtains and windows

It feels really good to get one room completely done, and 4 more bags of "stuff" outta here!

Hope you had a productive Saturday as well!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #59  
Day at a Time

Wow I hope I don't catch this cleaning bug. I will wait for spring. I did wash the window coverings in the bedroom and vacuum the area and behind the bookshelf and all the books. Amazing how much dust books collect. Not sure why we don't just keep them in boxes in the garage. I did pull out one garbage bag of clothes and now am looking for a Sally Ann box to put them in.
And sat down with my recipe box and pulled out all the recipes that I have never cooked. Now it will close properly and I still rarely cook most of the ones in there.

I am still OP with all the rock and roll in my life. You think I would be a faster learner at this point. Or would have learned some skills years ago.

I was in town today and DS was working in town and so stopped by with the gift and card and had a hug and just kept on motoring.
So that took care of that. DD called this morning as her name is on the call display but no message and I was not home...

So far today things are looking good. I even got out the paint to do a watercolor.

Jay that was a monster clean. I think you must be stressing about the dinner. How did it go? Hope you stayed OP as in the end the way we beat up ourselves is so much worse than the damage done by the calories.

Laurie you are doing quite the number on your house. Careful or it will be so organized you will be moving to a new house. But then nothing wrong with that. A little downsizing is great once you start to travel like you are.

Freda how was the game. Oh I remember standing in the rain and watching my kid play soccor. I used to wonder why it was held in the winter. It rains non stop here in the winter. Thought it was cruel and unusual punishment for all.

I am going to try and insert one of my watercolors. See if it works. I do them just for fun and my stuff is pretty simple. I found that all you have to do is show up at a class or two and low and behold there is paint on the page....

Oregan.jpg This is of the Oregon coast and I did for my daughter.

This is one I did for my son..serengeti.jpg

This is one I just did for fun...Evening Estuary.jpg click on image for larger version.

So there is another side of me that is not about weight and kids. Thank goodness as sometimes I forget who I am...

Hope you are all having a great weekend...

This is the beach that I live at....IMG_0529.jpg

So that is it for tonight. I am going to go have dinner and watch a movie....Gnite Jude
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #60  

Jude - THANK YOU for posting your pics! They are lovely. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and I am quite jealous! They are beautiful!!!!

I do "crafty" things and they help keep me from stress eating

Glad that you were able to deliver the gift without incident. Stay strong and I hope you enjoyed the movie.
Closed Thread