Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #31  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

meowee!

I'm glad nothing hurts for Jazz anymore... But I'm sorry for your sad heart!

Jay
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #32  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Linda, sorry to hear about Jazz, it sounds like he went quickly. That is a blessing. We have a 17 year-old that probably won't be with us much longer. Every day, I wonder if today will be the day. He is such a sweetie (purring and laying on my keyboard as I type).

The weather is better here today. I need to get started on that package wrapping task though. Usually I am totally on top of it - I wrap as soon as I get home from the store. I think that not putting up the decorations this year has affected my ability to stay on task.

Hope everyone had a good hump day! I'm off for my date with Leslie and the WATP gang
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! I am new to 3FC. I am 54yo and my goal is to get healthy. I have Type II Diabetes and I want it gone!! I need support and friendship and I am impressed with the warmth in this forum.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #34  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

thinin08,

Glad to have you here! Tell us more about you--what kind of activities you like, your plan for losing, your favorite music--and so on!

Be sure to visit the Diabetes Support Subforum, in the Chicks with Challenges area, also!

Jay
Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #35  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi THININ08 . . . to the Age 50 + Forum. Very glad to have you with us. I too have Type II Diabetes and I hope I'll be seeing you over in the Diabetes Support forum as well as on here.

BTW, everybody . . . many thanks for the kind words about Jazz. It really helps to know you understand.

Last edited by meowee; 12-05-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #36  

Linda, I'm a relative newbie, so I don't know if you have posted pictures of Jazz. I would love to see what he looked like. Do you have a favorite story about him?

Caring for a pet with a medical condition makes you a very special person. I don't know anyone that has taken care of a diabetic cat. He was blessed to be a member of your family!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #37  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good morning!

Yes, meowee, if you have a photo of Jazz...

I had a diabetic cat--he required insulin shots. He was such a good cat, though, that it was no trouble. I loved him!

I'm thinking that what I need is a short-term YMCA membership so I can get my weight to drop. I used to have one, and I went 5 and 6 days a week. Where I live now, I use the free community fitness center, but the machines are old and half-broken, and I'm not using it as often as I should to support weight loss. Well... it's an idea. Maybe after the New Year (when everyone else is joining--ha!).

Jay
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #38  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Wow, it's still snowing; my driveway has still not been plowed (thank goodness for 2-wheel-drive vehicles) . . . and I have to take Frack to the vet at 2:30 -- she has done something to her right eye -- it's running and swollen and she can only get it half-way open. I swear it was easier raising my kids.

Jazz was on two shots of insulin daily and he was a really easy going little guy so no problem at all to take care of. Funny thing -- although he just loved to cuddle and purr; he had a speach impediment and you couldn't hear him purring, you had to feel it. He also hardly ever meowed and had a very strange and gutteral voice when he did.

Here are the most recent pictures of Jazz that I have. They were taken in early July. Coincidentally, that is Frack with him in the third picture -- although she was only 4 months old then and has grown a bit since then.

Have a great day . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JAZZ1.jpg (31.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg JAZZ2.jpg (15.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg JAZZ&FRACK.jpg (25.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by meowee; 12-06-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #39  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh, Linda! My diabetic cat was black with yellow eyes also! What a sweetie... And Frack looks very nice! Love those striped ones!

Jay
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #40  
Onward and Downward

What a coincidence, Jay . . .

Well . . . the Vet thinks Frack must have somehow scratched her conjunctiva -- at least there doesn't seem to be any damage to the cornea. Now I've got ointment to stick in her eye three times a day for the next week -- should be just about as much fun as trying to give a pill to a cat.

Later . . . gang.

Last edited by meowee; 12-06-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #41  

Thanks for posting the pictures. Jazz looks just like my Panther did (yellow eyes and all)! Panther didn't have an audible purr either - how funny! He was about the same size too!

Frack is absolutely beautiful! What a gorgeous patterned coat

I have done the ointment in the eye thing with cats a couple times - it isn't too bad after you get the hang of it. Much easier than pills - for me at least.

Busy day here (seems like I say that every day). We actually had sunshine - it felt soooo good (even though it was cold). We are supposed to get more snow tonight though, so I will probably be shoveling my driveway instead of pilates in the morning
Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Well, wouldn't ya know that the sun came out the day after I left MI! I sure never thought it would be as cold as it was so early in the year. I spent lots of hours on a plane and sitting in airports yesterday. I am glad to be back to the desert sunshine. I thought I would walk while I was in MI, but I couldn't even go outside. I am such a wussy. I have never shoveled snow, and really haven't missed the experience much.

Tomorrow, I am off to town to do a few errands and get a new battery for my pedometer. I am not too happy that the battery didn't last longer than it did. It is one of those watch batteries about the size of a quarter.

Astonishingly, I lost a couple of pounds while I was gone. I ate quite a bit of stuff that is inconsistent with weight loss, but I was careful not to eat too much of anything.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #43  
Onward and Downward

Hi everybody . . .

I was up way too early this morning and it is going to be a long day . . . Oh well . . . at least there was no additional snow overnight and (hopefully) the forecast for a pretty calm and relatively 'precipitation-less' day will hold true. However, it is not going to be warm, with the high predicted to be -9C/+16F, but the sun is shining at the moment.

I have lined up a new 'plow-boy' and hopefully he will show up sometime today, and, so far I've managed to get two doses of at least 'some' ointment into the cat's eye and only have one major scratch (on the palm of my hand) to show for it -- luckily she is small enough that the "wrap cat in towel" routine almost works.

For a little more good news . . . I managed to pick up a last-minute round trip flight to Ontario (where most of my family is) for under $200 -- compared to the usual almost $500 at this time of year -- so, I'm going "home" for Christmas, after all. Jazz (and his insulin requirements) was the main reason for not going, because I didn't want to have to ask my neighbour/friend to have to come over to give him his shots twice a day especially since I knew she would be a nervous wreck about it. I'm sure she won't mind dropping in every day or two to tend to the needs of the rest of the menagerie (hopefully Frack's eye will be healed by then). Of course, this will not bode well for my food and exercise routines for the end of this month. Hey, all we can do is our best.

Speaking of doing well on vacation . . . Wowee, congratulations GAIL . . . very impressive.

Guess I'd better get myself moving and shaking . . . see you all later . . .
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #44  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey gail! Way to go on the "mystery" weight loss! Watching portions really does work, I've found.

You're not missing anything with the snow shoveling.

I wonder where Spinymouse is!

I don't have much to report today--just more to do. I'll get my walk in, though. And, I might go to the pool if it's warm enough later.

Jay
Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #45  

Just checking in - SOOO glad it is Friday. 'twas a long week. Just a dusting of snow today. I found a few more clothes at the second had stores tonight. I finally have a decent work wardrobe in my current size, but not much casual stuff.

Gail - glad to hear that you made it back home safe and sound - congrats on the weight loss. You aren't a wussy - we have had some yucky weather the last couple weeks. All my walking has been indoors.

Linda - wow - way to go finding a cheap flight for the holiday! We bought our tickets to Oakland early. I am STILL trying to find cheap tickets to Knoxville over spring break. At this rate, we will be driving.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am going to try to get my gifts wrapped and some cleaning and laundry done. I just can't seem to get much housework done during the week.
Closed Thread