View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #15
HalGal

Default RE: Sum, sum, SUMMER TIME...!

Good Saturday morning movers and losers!

I am not so sure I am ready for a party, but it feels like a party just not having papers to grade, lessons to plan before class begins on Monday! I started reading a Robin Cook (fictional mystery) last night, and I am ready to get some serious R and R.

Yesterday I mentioned we are lucky to have fresh fruits and veggies this time of year. Thin - can you say red peppers! Here is an article I found on reducing cholesterol and eating more natural foods.

Veggies Add Vim to Low-Fat Diet

Adding Plant Foods to Low-Fat Diet Doubles Cholesterol-Lowering Effect

You can lower your cholesterol with a low-fat diet. But you get twice the bang for your buck if you eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.

For years, Americans were told to avoid fats. But it's not enough to avoid unhealthy foods. New dietary guidelines stress the value of eating plenty of healthy foods: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans.

How much better is the new advice? At least twice as good, find Stanford researcher Christopher Gardner, PhD, and colleagues. Gardner's team finds that people who eat a low-fat diet lower their cholesterol. But those who eat just as few fats and eat lots of plant-based foods double the diet's cholesterol-lowering power.

"The effect of diet on lowering cholesterol has been really minimized and undermined by a lot of clinicians and researchers saying, 'Yes, it has an effect but it is really trivial. It would be better to put you on drugs to control your cholesterol,'" Gardner says in a news release. "We weren't really giving diet a fair shake. We were so focused on the negative -- just what to avoid -- and not what to include."

The plant-food-enhanced diet isn't strictly vegetarian. It's simply rich in foods known to lower cholesterol. These include soy-based foods, garlic, soluble fiber (provided by food like oats, barley, psyllium and beans), whole grains, and nuts.

Two Low-Fat Diets

So what's more important -- simply avoiding fat or eating lots of good foods? Gardner's team asked 120 people to help answer this question. These 30- to 65-year-olds had moderately high LDL "bad" cholesterol, ranging from 130 to 190 mg/dL. None was obese, and all were in generally good health.

For four weeks, half the volunteers adopted the old-fashioned low-fat diet and half stuck to a low-fat, plant-based diet. To minimize cheating, the researchers fed them dinner every weekday and gave them a cooler filled with foods for the rest of the time.

The diets were fat and calorie balanced so that nobody gained or lost weight. Some of the study participants were, indeed, overweight. Losing weight is a good way to cut your cholesterol. But the study was designed to look at the effects of diet and not weight loss.

Exactly what did they eat? Here's a sample menu for each group:

Low-fat diet:

Breakfast: frozen waffles, butter, syrup, apple juice, coffee, and low-fat milk
Morning snack: apple-grape juice and nonfat raspberry yogurt
Lunch: turkey-bologna sandwich, light potato chips, caffeine-free Diet Coke
Afternoon snack: lemon cake pudding and low-fat milk
Dinner: garden lasagna, iceberg lettuce salad, French dinner roll, margarine, coffee
Low-fat "plus" diet:

Breakfast: whole-wheat bread, sunflower-seed butter, smoothie, plain yogurt, tea, grapes
Morning snack: soy nuts, sun-dried raisins
Lunch: tempeh burger with vegetables and cheddar cheese on whole-wheat bread
Afternoon snack: black licorice
Dinner: parsley pesto and soba noodles, garlic butter, spinach and mandarin salad with sesame, egg, Odwalla Superfood juice, and tea

Iced tea! Does anyone drink the green tea mixtures out there? I read it is very healthful also.

I picked up some pottery yesterday at an annual festival held here each June. I collect this stuff, and have begun collecting for one of my brothers (executive chef with the Marriott). This guy is getting older, and each year I cringe, hoping he is still coming. He is from Cincinnati, and I see myself making the dirve there some day if he stops coming to the show. It is fairly inexpensive for pottery, and very well made. I love pottery.

Now, to snag a few flowers to fill my flower containers. I have a large deck with tooooo many containers. Trust me.

And, to move it... walk Rocky.

Happy weekend everyone! I'm getting back on the scale Monday. I am ready for a challenge, to feel better!!! I like Oprah's plan which is lots of exercise and low simple carbs.

HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote