Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Random thoughts

Hi Ladies,
I've been doing some interesting journalling lately and been reading around the boards. Saturday (see post in 5 Day Challenge thread) I allowed myself to be undermined by a number on the scale.
- On Friday, the number had gone down. I was excited about that.
- I know from other life experiences (and common sense) that I am more motivated and will continue (despite odds) to "perform to a specific standard" when I receive positive feedback.
- On Saturday when the scale gave me negative feedback by showing the number going up. I felt disappointed and to some extent overwhelmed ("Is there no way that I can get the number to go down" type feeling.)
--I subsequently didn't exercise and ate donuts. Both acts of self-sabatoge.
--On Sunday, I stopped myself from thinking "You're just lazy," by asking myself if it's true. (I consider this positive. Just beating myself up didn't completely make sense when I'm legitimately tired, having worked out the past 9 days in a row, working full time, and being a single parent might be a tad tiring.) I decided that I don't know whether or not I'm lazy, but since I'm not sure, I shouldn't beat myself up for it.
--I got back "moving" on Sunday evening. I wouldn't call it exercise, but I was consciously moving.
- Monday, I got back on track and have done well with nutrition and exercise.

What I've realized is that there are plenty of other ladies here who have felt the same way or done something similar.
It's not just a matter of continuing to correct the path, but as SusanB's quote says, we should KNOW that the path to sucess will have stops and starts.
To apply that to my recent situation: The number on the scale may go up or down no matter how well or how long I stick to my nutrition and exercise plan. The sucess comes in two ways. One is sticking to my course understanding I may have a bump or two but not getting overwhelmed and quitting. The second way that sucess comes is by sticking it out. Realizing that every body is different means that everyone's weight-loss path is going to be a little different.
The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that there's a problem. Got it.
The second step is finding a workable solution...I think that's the step I'm working out now.
The third step is to apply that solution. I think that's going to be a lifetime of practice.
So, I've been kinda quiet on the boards lately, but I've been doing a good bit of "working out" in my brain. The number on the scale will go down when it goes down. My goal is no longer to have lost 30lbs by my birthday, but rather to remain consistent and improve my nutrition and exercise by my birthday. It may or maynot lead to a loss of pounds. But I need to set realistic achievable goals.
At this point, this new goal may help avoid a lot of frustration and keep me on plan better than a numeric goal would.

Please weigh in with an opinion...I've just been mulling this over on my own so far.

Thanks.
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #467  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Your thoughts are very insightful and deep. I agree with how you are looking at it. I think it is incredibly hard to convince ourselves that we need to do this for a lifetime and get used to eating healthy and exercising. Most of us have spent a lifetime getting to this point and now we have to make some radical lifestyle changes. At our age, we usually have plenty of stresses and other daily life activities that can distract us from our goal. We can cave in and just go back to the old ways because they are easy and so familiar. It is much harder to make myself get up in the morning when I'd rather have that extra sleep. It is easier to buy quick and easy meals rather than ones that might take a little more thought and preparation to make.

It also seems that we are all tied to a number on the scale. I am including myself because I am very much obsessed by the number. Forget the fact that I feel better and stronger when I'm exercising and eating right. I ONLY LOST X lbs!! That's a tough one to change. If I never make it to my goal weight, wouldn't it be better to get healthy and at least a little more fit?? Can I possibly look only to the next lower "decade" rather than focusing on the overall goal? Tough to do! (BTW, I will make it to goal!!!)

I think that one of the best things is to have a support group (like this one) to continue to remind me of what I already know. Although I have educated and re-educated myself on losing weight, do I always remember what to do? Nope. Does it take a little encouragement to see the positives rather than focusing on the negatives? YES!

I guess that is a lot of random thought. Just thought I'd share. No real answers from me!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #468  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good thoughful posts, both of you. You never know what good typing random thoughts might bring. You might just touch someone or you might just touch yourself ... with just the right thought at the right moment.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #469  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hi guys. I knew I'd be busy this summer but really thought I'd get on here more often. I haven't even read any posts that I've missed -- like 3 wks worth?! I will catch up at some point. Just popping in to say I hope everyone is doing ok. How is everyone's battle of the bulge going? I'm still struggling w/the food part and my exercise routine is so random and scattered -- it's just this summer schedule though. Work has also picked up for me (figures they do this in the summer) so I'm just kind of floundering around from one thing to the next. The scale is remaining the same so I'm not complaining.

Hubby had off last week and we did some day trips. We went horseback riding. Lots of fun. Found a place 15 minutes from here and went on an hour trail ride (w/guide). Yes, some body parts were a little sore the next day!

Kim -- did they catch the peeper yet?

Clydegirl -- I did just get your PM. Thanks for the reply; it must be a struggle for you. Saying a pray for your daughter and family.

Hope everyone else is well. Another kid just wandered in, looking longingly at the computer. To paraphrase Monk ' computers -- they're both a blessing . . . and a curse!'

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #470  
Eleny

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

there is no better time. There is no better life stage. All you have is now; all you have is you. These things that seem to impede you - you don't wait till they're done then start your life. They are your life.

This is a lot of my problem. I am always waiting for a better time. I have to stop that and realize now is all we have. It will take a lot of thought pattern breaking, but this is what I need to work on most.

This has been a very busy week for us. And Today is no different :-). My official weigh in is on Sunday, but I stepped on the scale today and I have gained instead of loss *grr*. I am trying to tell myself it is muscle gain since I have been working out. But it is so frustrating!
brismiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #471  
returning to myself

hey Cammie...what you are saying IS true...on one hand we might make a commitment to eat right, exercise and to do what we need to do to become healthy and eventually slim....

but day by day we are allowing the numbers on the scale to dictate what we ACTUALLY do....even though we made a commitment, if the scale doesn't go down then we may take that as an excuse to give ourselves permission to eat toomuch, not exercise...etc...after all, if it's not doing any good then why bother? right?

the thing is, we wouldn't treat SOMEONE ELSE that way....if our child doesn't behave the way we want the first time, we don't give up on them...we don't just give up on our friends or family...and lord knows that for some of us, our significant others often get WAY more chances then they usually deserve....

when we goto work, most of us do our best, not because we will get a raise EVERDAY...or even a pat on the back...we do our best to feel respected and to feel good about ourselves....

and that need to be the reason for what we are doing now...and how hard is THAT when what you REALLY want is to be thin?? except being thin is NOT what we really want...

WHAT???? we don't wnat to be thin????

'course we do...but what we REALLY want is THE FEELING we have when we are thin...not feeling self conscious...feeling confident and healthy and comfortable in our skins....feeling GOODABOUT OURSELVES...that's what we are REALLY after.....

so we need to stay on plan to FEEL GOOD ABOUT OURSELVES.....to know that every day we are being the best people that we can be.....because THATS where the immediate rewards are...and the OTHER rewards...the scale going down...discovering thinner body parts...the clothes that fit, finally...those rewards will be the icing on the cake (so to speak)

btw...yesterday...I had to fix the gasket at the bottom of my fridge door...I was laying on the floor on my stomach and I was going "OW OW...what IS that....?" I reached under myself to see what was sticking me..and IT WAS MY RIB!!! I FOUND THEM !!! YAY!!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #472  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Hey Clydegirl: Hope all is ok with you. I saw that you posted on the baseball thread in General Chatter and I was glad to "see" you!

Jo: Glad you could post for a little while anyway! I'm like you, not making a lot of progress this summer. It's just been so freakin hectic. But staying the same is better than going up!!

Eleny: I understand what you're saying. It gets to be such a struggle and I think we all look for the easy answer. There isn't one, we just need to keep plugging away, staying committed. It is hard to change our mindset after having it set for so long!

Laura: Excellent post. Glad you found your rib bones, by the way! I totally agree with you in that we just can't give up. We just have to keep trying. There isn't another option unless you go back to the old, unhealthy way of life.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #473  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi Diane I'm still around. I check in every day but don't get too much computer time during the summer. I've been busy with my girls and just got back from the pool again. It's a lovely day and the humidity is down. I don't do too well during the hot days of summer.

My weight is stagnant at the moment only myself to blame. I will get back on track one of these days. I'm not gaining just staying the same.

Cammie good post- "set realistic achievable goals". That's something I should do and not get caught up on a number.

Jo good to see you posting again.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #474  
returning to myself

hmmm...seems like alot of us are kinda standing still right now...I'm sure it must just be a phase!!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #475  

Good Morning "prime-of-our-life" ladies!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #476  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Morning Susan. Morning girls.

Summer is always a hard time to lose, well it is for me. When the kids go back to school everyone gets back into it. Weight Watchers always has a big promotion at that time.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #477  
Eleny

Just dropping by to say Hi :-). Been very busy this week. I am trying to stay focused on the now and not beat myself up over the fact that I am not moving on the scale.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #478  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Off Net for a While

Just a note ladies that I'll be off the net for a while...I'm going on vacation tomorrow with my daughter and we'll be out of computer range. I'll check in if I can, but I don't know that I'll have any contact until 8/9 Aug.
Please keep me in your thoughts as I'll miss your support and company.
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #479  
Eleny

Cammie have a great time!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #480  

Morning! We're going to miss Cammie, yes?