Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default *** August Chat ***

Hey everyone: Have been too busy to check in for a bit, but will take time to read posts this evening or tomorrow. In the mean time, welcome to the newbies!
Butterfly, you were saying atkins sound scary and it can be! Take things a little at a time. Going into induction suddenly is HARD, but for a real carb addict, if you can get through the first few days, its really helpful. I couldn't do it though, and what worked for me was starting with lowering carbs to about 100g/day, and making sure they were "good" and low glycemic carbs. Then I went to 60/day, and finally to induction. I can now handle about 60-80 g/day without gaining weight, but still have to be careful of sugars, I do ongoing weight loss of about 40-60g/day right now as a routine. So you don't have to "give up" everthing, but you do eat very differently. I don't find it so hard, because high carb meals. (like pasta) leave me feeling horrible. I do save my cheats for things I feel are worth it, like a bit of dessert, but thats me.

Otherwise gang, weight is still at 172, and I hope to get under 170 for labour day, but today, will be hard. I am going to an Annaprushon (rice tasting ceremony) for my honorary grandbaby, it is a Hindu ceremony celebrating first solids. I imagine it would be equivalent to an infant baptism for Christians. There will be a wonderful indian buffet for supper, and I will avoid the rice and naan bread, but will eat lots and well. So I won't even look at the scale for a few days after. Ruth, you are right, just avoid the scale after dim sum, you know there will be waterweight afterward, so just take a few days for it to go away before you check again.
ttfn see you soon friends
Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hey everyone: Have been too busy to check in for a bit, but will take time to read posts this evening or tomorrow. In the mean time, welcome to the newbies!
Butterfly, you were saying atkins sound scary and it can be! Take things a little at a time. Going into induction suddenly is HARD, but for a real carb addict, if you can get through the first few days, its really helpful. I couldn't do it though, and what worked for me was starting with lowering carbs to about 100g/day, and making sure they were "good" and low glycemic carbs. Then I went to 60/day, and finally to induction. I can now handle about 60-80 g/day without gaining weight, but still have to be careful of sugars, I do ongoing weight loss of about 40-60g/day right now as a routine. So you don't have to "give up" everthing, but you do eat very differently. I don't find it so hard, because high carb meals. (like pasta) leave me feeling horrible. I do save my cheats for things I feel are worth it, like a bit of dessert, but thats me.

Otherwise gang, weight is still at 172, and I hope to get under 170 for labour day, but today, will be hard. I am going to an Annaprushon (rice tasting ceremony) for my honorary grandbaby, it is a Hindu ceremony celebrating first solids. I imagine it would be equivalent to an infant baptism for Christians. There will be a wonderful indian buffet for supper, and I will avoid the rice and naan bread, but will eat lots and well. So I won't even look at the scale for a few days after. Ruth, you are right, just avoid the scale after dim sum, you know there will be waterweight afterward, so just take a few days for it to go away before you check again.
ttfn see you soon friends
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all!

fbs at 91 this morning. I did my new aerobic dvd and I really liked it. I was thinking "this is too easy" but I was really sweating by the end. It is Gilad's beginning weight loss and toning. Pretty good. I had my favorite greek yogurt for breakfast. My goal is to eat on plan and to work out at least 5 days out of seven for this week. So far so good.

Off to work. Have a great day!

Rie
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi Everyone. I Have High Tryglercides so I dont like the amount of fat Atkins consume or is it jest me. I wouldnt mind starting off with 100grams of carbs a day what would the calorie range be to something like that.. I am waiting for the free kit from atkins to come in and let me see what the whole picture is I may give it a try If I have problems I can jest go to my own plan. STILL CONFUSED.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #5  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Butterfly I do about 15-20 carbs per meal and snacks. When you get your meeting with the dietician they will help you a lot. I keep track by doing a journal. I also have on the bottom of the page as follows:
Starch (9):
Meat (8):
Vegetable (4):
Fat (5):
For every serving I eat in the above group I put an x next to that food group and the numbers represents how many servings I can have in a day. For me it's an easy way of keeping count of my servings in each group. Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #6  

Bonnie,

I have put the occasional menu into a calorie/nutrient counter and it generally comes up at about 1200 -1400. But I don't count and I really don't worry about healthy fat. Upon diagnosis, my cholesteral was really bad but it came down dramatically with my bs control and a better diet. My dr told me that he was initially worrried about some of his patients who did atkins but they have good cholesteral and blood pressure numbers. His theory is that it is really about bs control and weight loss. You will get help from the dietary folks but you will still need to experiment and find what works for you. I can't do it tonight, but if you pm me with your email address, I would be willing to send you a copy of one of my food diaries. I am sure that others would help you as well.

Essentially, my plate is this: 1/2 plate green non-starchy veggies, 1/4 carb, 1/4 lean protein.

I had a fruited greek yogurt for breakfast. (130 cals, 19 carbs)

Lunch: green salad with a little oil and vinegar, 2/3 c leftover chicken and veggie stir fry, 4 strawberries

Tonight was a rather large meal: salad with romain lettuce, alfalfa sprouts and cucumbers tossed with my homemade ranch, 1 1/2 inch slice of polenta with garlic, one baked chicken thigh without skin. Decaf coffee with a tiny bit of cream for desert.

My evening snack will be a light and fit yogurt at about 930pm.

I try to drink 60 oz of water each day but I don't always get that done. I have a coffee weakness and I drink it all day. So, I try to drink 8 oz of water about every 60-90 minutes at work. If I am really hungry, I use a go to snack like a hard boiled egg, salad, cucumbers. note that I eat 3 - 4 eggs per week and my cholesteral has gone down to very acceptable levels.

I am comming up to my 1st aniversary of my diagnosis next month. The dr who diagnosed it was really mean and I cried for almost 24 hours straight. I was a teary mess for days. I remember being so overwhelmed and confused - feeling like "life as I knew it" was over. Well, yes, I was right. There is no more McDonalds on the way home anymore. My DrPepper habit is gone. I excercise almost every day. But, I am healthier, looking younger, and feeling better.

For everything that I gave up, I have gotten other things. Believe it or not, I now feel confident most of the time in my ability to manage my eating and cope with different situations. I just returned from a week's vacation. It included some lovely indulgences but mostly I kept my bs well under control.

I hope that this helps. I am so glad that you found us. I believe that you will find this is easier than you think. Take care.

Rie
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RIE ~ you have done so well; 74 lbs is astounding, and only since March of this year. Your sample menu sounds quite interesting too and will be helpful to others, I'm sure. Oh, FOOEY, to that doctor -- you are a winner, girl!!!

BUTTERFLY ~ I don't count my carbs in numbers like some here do; I just cut them way back. I cut the sugar way down; and use lots of no-sugar subs. As I was PRE-diabetic, I was able to get my sugars down with Metformin over about 3 years. I am now off it and doing fine; but as you see I have lost over 85 lbs and am still losing lots of inches (I don't focus on the lbs pers say that much anymore, but go by sizes like I did with great success in the past; it works for me). Mind you, weight-loss is still desired at a healthy rate and for health reasons. My blood pressure and cholesterol have also come way down during that time.

BF ~ most days is an egg or an omelette (today was a mushroom omelette with chz) and 1 slice bran toast & coffee & one fruit (ie banana, strawberries, peaches, etc). You may want to sub low-sugar fruit only.

LUNCH ~ varies widely; homemade pita pizza; or soup &/or sandwich; or leftover meat & salad; or other leftover dinner; or an omelette (on a day I don't have eggs for breakfast).

DINNER ~ is most often some kind of lean meat (chicken breast w/o skin & veggies/salad; lean steak & same; or fish & same; or turkey & same; or lean pork chop & same; once a week 1 cup pasta with meatballs/sauce; etc). Tonight I had a chicken burger (no bun) with stir-fry veggies and a romaine salad (with baby cukes, onions, tomato, and shredded carrot).

I do have a splurge meal of choice once a week: homemade hamburger & salad; OR baked chicken nuggets & salad; OR thin crust pizza & salad (or pita pizza); OR baked onions rings & salad, etc. I only have the more starchy carbs 1-3 times a week now; subbing corn & lower carb veggies instead (ie new potatoes 1/wk or beans 1/wk or brown rice 1/wk or pasta 1 w/k).

I have a couple of cups of coffee a day; 1 tea; rest is water with the occasional lemon/lime sugar=free drink; low sugar hot chocolate now & then.

SNACKS: s/f popsicles (25 cals); s/f pudding (60 cals); cheeze; PB & wg soda crackers (2-4); boiled eggs; lean meat; soup; yogurt ice cream about once a week (1/2 cup only); baked fruit or fresh fruit; and s/f yogurt most often; veggies or salad, etc.

NOTE: I do have to eat some higher carbs or my b/s levels dip too low now; that is why you'll see some bread, pasta, rice, etc in my plan. The lowest I can go is about 3 a day; if I have one starch carb for BF & Lunch, I can go with less or none for dinner some days. I do have a small evening snack and that curbs the night dips. BTW, I am still tweaking & experimenting like most here ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-01-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #8  
Bonnie

Justwant2Bhealthy Riemontana Thanks for your advice I do think that atkins isnt the way to go . My Doctor said to lower my carbs and I have been doing that so far I have lost a few pounds I have also cut out sugar no more tea unless I use a splenda( Witch is maybe 1 a day) From what I am used to eating I have basically given up alot. I am going to be going grocery shopping tonight and I need some ideas of what to buy I know I will be buying lots of veggies and lean meats. I jest dont know what are good numbers for me. So if I pick up cheese or cream cheese , Cottage Cheese, Yogurt what is the best to look at???? Fat free, Low Fat or Regular. I want this to be a lifestyle change and my whole family is going to be going me.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #9  

Good morning all!

fbs at 90 this morning. It was nicely controlled all day yesterday. I had whole grain toast with a slight smear of peanut butter. I got my workout in for the 2nd day this week. It really seems to help me stay on track in other ways.

JustwannaBhealthy. Thanks for the compliment. So nice. But actually, I started this the first of september. I was hoping to make 100 lbs in a year but I realize now that is not reasonable.

Bonnie, it sounds like your plan is comming together. I don't eat many fat free products because they tend to have more sugar. When I started, I looked at food labels. "what is the largest serving size for the least carbs and calories that I can have?". That is how I select yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Buy lots of greens. If you like ranch, I recommend the old fashioned packets and a shaker bottle. I use half the mayo (made with olive oil and 1% milk) It spreads easily because it is thin. Tastes better than any of the bottled stuff. I also like italian. Buy garlic, onions, peppers and other spices as well as olive oil for cooking. Buy some quick veggies like green beans. I like to buy broccoli and cauliflower florets in frozen packages because they are easy and cheap. Remember to only buy things like meats and starches in limited quantities. Good luck, you can do it!

Rie
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #10  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

Hello everyone!

glad to see such good info going about the thread the past week or so. This is helping me as well.

Tomorrow is diabetes education class #2 and my weigh in. I haven't weight in 4 weeks... anxious to be able to lower my "current weight" number under my picture. Maybe I'll even break down and get a fancy dancy ticker.

Setting up my goals for the coming month: (subject to change after I see the endocrinologist next week for the first time)

1. make sure i test nighttime. i tend to forget
2. start keeping a food journal (looking to see if there's an app for my blackberry so I can carry it along wherever I am)
3. exercise time! find SOMEthing to do 3x a week minimum to start. be it dancing in my panties (haha!), throwing in a work out dvd, or going for a walk...

On Sunday I had a high reading around 10 am. it was 127. I hadn't eaten since Midnight and then I went straight to bed. naughty naughty. I also tried a glass of wine. I sipped it over a couple hours... and drank only 1/4 of it. but I am pretty sure thats why I was high. I've been so long without socializing liquor now that it really doesn't bother me to go without it anyway.

I'll update tomorrow after I've been to class!

Kari

Last edited by gothik butterfly; 08-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #11  
Bonnie

Riemontana Thanks the Dressing sounds good tell me how to make it Please.

gothik butterfly I am new on this too so I have been reading tons of info . Hope to see you back soon.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Another quick flyby. I see lots of newbies here. to all of you. I've kind of become a lurker around here these days. Started writing a post this morning and something came up and had to close out and not send it.

Our kids have moved in, but not settled. This is going to be quite an adjustment for us. Lord I hope I can stand a year of this. lol I've been sick with a cold that dear 16 mo. old grandson gave me. The good thing about being sick is that I really don't feel like eating. I just eat what I have to eat to function. My FBG has come back down to normal range for me although I still want it to go lower and the best part is that the weight is slowly coming down. Now I'm just trying to keep it going down and at the moment that seems fairly easy since I can't seem to eat much at a time. I'm also dealing with some nausea because of drainage which makes it really easy not to eat.

I am enjoying reading y'alls posts especially how everyone eats. Rie you have done super great. I like the plate division way of eating. That was one of the ideas my doc gave me. Reading y'alls menu ideas gives me ideas too. In fact, I think it was Rie who mentioned chicken thighs. I cooked 2 chicken thighs and made me a chicken salad for dinner, but could only eat half. I'm hoping that these small meals at a time is shrinking my stomach so I can keep it up when I get well. I think I need to do and would like to continue eating smaller meals. I really hope to have lost a substantial amount of weight when I go back to the doctor in October.

Butterfly50 This is overwhelming at first. It took me a long time to settle how I wanted to eat since I know it is forever and not a diet. My doctor told me that any diet would work as long as it is a plan you can live with. You will find your way and there are lots of good people here to help. We've all been where you are so please don't feel like you are alone. Good luck on your journey.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #13  

Bonnie, in the dressing isle in the supermarket you will find Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. It is a dry mix that comes in packets. The recipe is on the back but I modify it. I use half the mayo (I prefer olive oil mayo) and twice the milk - use 1% milk. I have a shaker bottle that I got on amazon. It is made by tupperware and is called a gravy shaker. The ranch thickens nicely in the fridge. It comes in at a fraction of the calories, fat and carbs of other dressing. Good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #14  
Bonnie

pattygirl63 Thanks.
I can say I went to the store and now my freezer is stocked with Chicken And Ground Turkey and a few other lean meats. Plus they are over full with Veggies this is the first time I ever Filled the deep freezer with meat and the two other freezers with veggies I jest hope they last for a month. Trying to feed 5 people on 400$ a month is kinda hard But somehow I make it threw the month. So the family had subs when we got home and I dug out the george and cooked me a piece of chicken breast and make me a salad. I used the reg Salad mix and then I bought baby spinach and something and mixed some of that with my salad.Then I found a sugar free that only has one carb dressing I jest drizzled a tiny bit one it and it was wonderfull. I am so full.

The nutritionist called me today and I go in on the 12 for the class it is from 9 to 4 they provide lunch she said they will teach me everything I want to know. She said my A1c was 7.3 on my last Dr Apt. I will be going back sat for another one . But so far all is going good.....
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #15  
Bonnie

Riemontana Thanks for the receipe my packet dont have the actual directions for that it is all ways the Dip mix. But I will check other when I go back to the store..
Closed Thread