Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default SEPTEMBER - They are going baaaack!

Evening, chickies!

As I walked the dogs I thought this would be a nice motto for September (you probably think I watch too many commercials LOL). WHen I logged on, I was surprised that nobody started a September thread yet. Yes, I do realize it is still August ... for 3 more hours and 20 minutes.

I am very tired today and headache-y. I slept horribly last night and I am on my way to bed as soon as I finish typing this. Just wanted to poke my nose in and say Hi. I did biceps and shoulders today, and several hours of gardening; plus some painting. Hardly a spot on me that the skeeters left alone - my Off! spray is missing, not sure what happened to it.
I am going to take some more Advil and catch up on the August thread tomorrow morning.

Night night!

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hey chicks, and man, remember me? That's ok, I don't either

Anyway, as Alena says, it is September, and I am coming BAAACK!! Instead of blocks of 12 weeks, I'm taking BFL in 20-pound increments. Which will probably be 12 weeks. But I have a theory that when you're looking at 12 weeks, sometimes it's too easy to flub up in week 4 or 5 knowing that you've still got 7 weeks to get your act together. So, I decided 20 lb chunks work well for me. I have about 3-4 chunks to go, maybe more by the time I get there, we'll see.

So I'm sitting down with my trusty calendar again and will be plotting out the fall with my plan. I'm glad Alena got us started early so that I could post this and move on to planning my cardio in the morning. Just lovely that we got a cool snap (60 this morning!) timed perfectly with this, bc you all remember my whining about having to workout in the heat back in May/June. It's all coming together.

Have a great month everyone! I am baaaack!

Last edited by sportmom; 08-31-2009 at 09:06 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #3  
No description available.

What---no challenge? No "Lift 1000X your body weight in September?" :-)

Back to school = total insane hecticness in my life. School clothes, lunches, meetings, homework, nightly reading, sports, sports, sports, committees, room parents---STOP THE INSANITY!

Tonight I had 90 minutes in between soccer and the gym to cook dinner, clean it up, check homework, oversee other homework, and get the kids bathed. Whew....

But I'm off to the gym!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #4  
Mel

Humph...I had a challenge but Alena cheated and started the thread last night (which I thought about!). I'll have to set my computer to Greenwich Mean Time next month

Cardio done, CF tonight.

Welcome back Fran! Good spin on the plan. You know what works for you at this point.

Midwife- I empathize! Just wait a decade or so

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #5  

Mel, where did you pack ds off to? I was wondering if it was someplace in Md since you stopped by the Harbor. Sorry I wasn't around on the thread and missed a chance to meet you!

Cardio got done this morning. I would not advise anyone to take the summers off. "Nuff said, right? I've lost alot, but I know it will come back more quickly than when I was a BFL newbie. I jumped straight into the HIIT brisk walking with inclines - no point on going easy.

Last edited by sportmom; 09-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Mel wrote:
Quote:
I'll have to set my computer to Greenwich Mean Time next month

I am on GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and thought about starting the thread but hecticity got in the way. DB's school goes back on Thursday, we have the builders (collapsing lean-to or 'conservatory' being rebuilt) and it is torrential most of the time.

Highlights of the past few weeks:

I have been swimming most days (DB wants to perfect handstands and somersaults)
I have eaten too much sugar (none is best for me)
I have eaten too much
We have been on tour.

Anyway, I'm back home and ready to give it another go.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #7  
Workin' It

Good morning! Wow, September... Where did August go? The good news for me in August is that I actually made the 500 push up/pullup challenge! I can now do 1 unassisted pullup again, and last night I managed 6 kipping pullups before dropping into a heap on the floor.

Mel, what would your challenge have been, hmm?

Alena - hope you slept better last night!

Fran - welcome back! The pound increments sound like a good plan to me.

Midwife - on making it to the gym after all that!

I had a really great workout last night, IMO. I am a believer on that 'recovery period' at this point. My heart rate got to where I expected again, I held form better, and I slept really well last night. I did wake up with icky tummy this morning, so planning cardio for after work... probably some kickboxing and some time on the elliptical. Icky tummy and treadmill don't mix well for me, especially when it is already a struggle to exercise in the morning!

Yesterday's workout:
-kipping pull up - 6
-Jump rope - 30 seconds
-DB Snatch 15lb/ DB Clean & Press 15lb per/Burpee - decreasing sets from 10-1. (Did this entire set in 27 mins, compared to 22-24 minutes for 4 rounds of ten reps before rest break )
-DB one hand side press - 10 per side, 8 lbs
- Flapping Bird (last exercise on the page) - 2x5, 5 lbs per
-iron cross - 3x10, 5 lbs per
- walking lunge with opposite shoulder press from Pat's PN workout - 1x10 w/12 lbs, 1x10 w/15lbs
-weighted crunches - 2x10
- miscellaneous body weight squats for warm up, and the front to back with broomstick thing from Cheryl's video yesterday

to all! Have a great day!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #8  
Mel

Fran- DS is at UMBC near Catonsville. I foresee many more trips in that direction. We should have a meet up with you and nelie.

My challenge is more for me- I do my age in push ups (1 set, real ones) every year on my birthday. This year is a double digit birthday that sounds REALLY OLD. last year I just managed to squeak them out. I figure doing at least 500 last month helps, even tho I had to bail on the 'do 100 push ups" challenge when my arm went numb. At least I'm not that old Thought I'd be quite happy if I were still doing pushups at that age!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey, just wanted to pop in real quick and welcome Fran! Nice to see you post!
My recovery week is turning into two. Had a great workout Saturday and picked up a cold virus the same day. I attempted to go in on Monday did a set of bench presses and felt a fever spike. Eh, well. Hopefully it will speed through my system quickly. I have a double birthday party to put on Saturday afternoon....so looking forward to getting my life back. back to school, week of birthdays, cold virus, two hour kindergarten. Is this over yet?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
- walking lunge with opposite shoulder press from Pat's PN workout - 1x10 w/12 lbs, 1x10 w/15lbs
And Shannon, did you, like me, have trouble with this? Not the actual exercise, but putting up the opposite arm I thought I was better coordinated than that...

I am kind of missing my workouts, but I really needed the time. I'm hopeful that my sister (or her son-in-law) has found a gym I can use a few times. I'm planning lots of walking, maybe a little running depending on the surface (my sister lives at the beach ). I did pack my resistance bands, so I can do some with them.

Fran - good to see you back, and with a plan! I am now half-way through my precision nutrition 6 month plan, and I'm still happy with it. I have gotten quite a bit stronger, and lost enough to wear a size smaller clothes - top and bottom.

Cheryl - maybe you should just enjoy the quiet.

Silver - good to see you too. A new conservatory? How exciting! How old is DB now? 8? Kids here have been back in school since 17 Aug - but they'll be done at the end of May.

Rabbit - nothing wrong with relaxing in the sun. I find it highly restorative!

I'm taking my laptop on my trip, so I'll check in a few times.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

How about if we plan to lift 1000x MIDWIFE's body weight in October - I promise I won't start a new thread - I don't want to lift 1000x of mine!

Just poppin' in for a moment - I am in middle of crazy gardening - weeding, pulling out weed shrubs, cleaning the dead stuff from a hedge, etc. etc. Just had a quick lunch (turkey chili with chickpeas as well as red beans) and maybe I will have a Skinny Cow ice cream bar. Weather is getting better (i.e. warmer)although some rain would be nice! Should be around 25 C by the end of the week - I will grumble it's too hot.

I am going to Zumba tonight - at least I hope my foot will let me. The insurance covered all the chiro bills, that's good news.
Speaking of birds - no flapping birds here but I found one dead sparrow on the lawn this morning. DOn't know if the dogs did it or something else, the bird definitely wasn't here last night. It's chest was ripped open - poor thing - but I didn't study its anatomy and got into the garbage right away. I hate to find dead animals.

Fran, so if I understand correctly you are planning to lose 20 lbs per each BFL cycle? If you do 3 or 4 more you will have guns like Lydia!

Mel - HAPPY 31'st ANNIVERSARY!!!!

ALena
Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #12  
Let's salsa!

Shannon, I just saw the pics of you in that beautiful red dress - you look smokin' hot!!!
Did you have a good time and how did you survive all day on those heels?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #13  

MEL - No Way!!!! UMBC is where dd swims! I can be found there on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sat mornings! Want me to do any spying for you???

Wow, so there is finally a TRUE possibility that we can meet at the RAC (where I walk the track while dd swims) and TRAIN!?!?!? Yeehaw! (But wait, let me get back in shape first or you'll be calling 911 on me.)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Silver - I missed you on my first post this morning, sorry! Welcome back!

Alena - the heels weren't nearly as horrible as I expected. I had better balance than I normally do, which seemed to help!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
And Shannon, did you, like me, have trouble with this? Not the actual exercise, but putting up the opposite arm I thought I was better coordinated than that...
Pat - I did have trouble with this... I kept trying to put up the same arm I stepped forward with, which threw me off balance. Of course, I make no claims of exceptional coordination... As all of the bruises on my legs display clearly!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-01-2009 at 04:20 PM.