Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #1  

Default Shapely Secrets

Does anyone know anything about this? I've done some looking on the web and can't find much. There is basic info about Greer Childers, the woman who sells the plan and "invented it". What I have not been able to find is any information on the "exercises" she uses. She calls it Diametric Resistance. Of course, the infomercial shows no one exercising. And there is no demonstration of any of the exercises. Supposedly it only takes 7 minutes to work your whole body and you can do it standing up or sitting down, but you don't move. This is the same person who sells "Body Flex", a plan that utilizes deep breathing with no impact movement for exercie.

Anyone????

TIA

Sandy
flagmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I've got her Body Flex DVD and like it (although I don't think I've really gotten the hang of her breathing method on there, either ). Didn't know whe had something else . . . I'll have to go take a look (if I can find it).

Sorry, not to be of more help.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 199/199/140

Height: 5' 10"

I used her Body Flex system 10 yrs ago and lost 35lbs in 3 months with no diet changes. I loved it. I'm glad I read your post....starting back tomorrow! Don't know about the new one.......Sorry. Good Luck.

Mary
ATSBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #4  

Red face Shaply Secrets Response

Have re-searched this also online, saw it on Infomercial yesterday and truly interested me as struggle with weight and tried so many non lasting things.
All the reviews i read with the exception of a couple were very positive so thought would try. Feel the reason not much information is given on her site is because she sells the program, if she revealed it no-one would buy, perhaps one has to sign something stating this!!!!:

If anyone has anymore info on a sure weight loss without all the Diet's and gyms let me know.
westeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

westeria,

I have bad news for you. Every diet pill out there says you need a proper diet and exercise for them to work which basically means the only sure fire way to lose weight is through eating right and exercising. I don't think that will ever change.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

The FTC actually shut Greer Childs and her organization down a few years ago for her original product. You can probably google it to find it, but I was just reading it. She is back with this latest product, after cleaning up her claims and her marketing messages to be less untruthful. According to the FTC, while you could find people who did ok on the program, there were many more people who did no changes at all. I think their issue was that she said with no sweat, no dietary changes, etc, that you could lose all this weight, which we know, just ain't gonna work for the majority of people.

Link to FTC Verdict: http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/03232...tip0323212.pdf
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

If anyone remembers the old "Health-Rider" commercials.........Greer Childers was the spokesperson for THAT wonderful product....she swore it was her secret to staying in shape after blahblahblah.....

I don't even think she's been renewed by the home shopping network.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #8  

Default Diametric Resistance Exercises

I'm wondering why she didn't show just one example of an exercise! I'm convinced that there are no easy gimmicks! It takes hard work, consistency and knowledge of what proper foods to eat and smaller portions! You have to want to do it and it really helps to have someone who loves you to help you through it and give you the encouragement to conquer it!
ramsprt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #9  

Smile excercise example

I picked this up on another site. Someone was asking about if they could get an example of one of the excercises. I thought you might want to take a look at it and get some idea of how it works. Commentor and others say it is like body flex without all the deep breathing.

"this is one of the exercises off the advanced shapely secrets...I much prefer that to the beginner shapely secrets...I hope I can explain this ok...this one is for your waist area...get seated in a chair...now while keeping your knees facing forward, twist your waist to the right holding on to the side arm of the chair (or I will actually twist and hold onto the back of the chair)...while twisted you suck in your stomach and tighten the ab area...but make sure you are not holding your breath...breathe normally while doing this...now hold the position of twisting at the waist and pulling in your tummy for 25 seconds...after 25 seconds relax for a couple seconds...now once again knees forward, twist at the waist to the right and hold onto the arm of the chair, pulling in your stomach and again hold that position for another 25 seconds...once you are done with that side, switch sides...knees forward, turn at the waist and twist to the left...suck in stomach and hold that position for 25 seconds...then relax for a couple seconds and repeat for that side, holding for another 25 seconds. Very simple exercise, but I tell ya my tummy area stays sore from this. I really give it my all when doing these exercises."
eyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Too much/Still too much/130

Height: 5'4"

I just started it, I figure 7 minutes why not. It has only been five days but I can definitely feel my muscles. It's basically alot of squeezing with repetition. I would like more for my abs though I guess you have to buy the other dvd's for more exercises. Unlike BodyFlex, I think, she includes suggestions for diet in her 7 ways to being thin or something like that.
UltSoccerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #11  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

I bought it. Havent decided if I'm a sucker or not yet. Tried the 7 minute thing last night. Like SoccerMom said, it's alot of squeezing your muscles. Which I'll admit after 7 minutes, my muscles were wore out. I'll give it a try tonite too. Gonna try and do it everyday. It's only 7 minutes....what the heck. I can't accept that I don't have to do anything else except that 7 minutes so I have made it part of my normal strength training routine of push ups, squats, and various other exercises. So we'll see. Anyway, wish me luck..I'll let you know how it goes.
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #12  

I watched the Shapely Secrets infomercial this morning. After viewing it, I went to the computer and looked for info on Greer Childers and found a video of one of her exercises on YouTube (although it appears to be from her Body Works program): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFuQXkXErg.

Last edited by Macmadgram; 02-11-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Macmadgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #13  

Height: 5'

Default I've got it - Shapely Secrets

I did the original Body Flex back in 1998 and dropped from a size 24 to a size 18 in about six months. Then I started up again with the new Body Flex (with the gym bar, which is supposed to be better for 35-year-olds and up, 'cos we need more weight training) and I know I'm getting smaller again - started at about a 24 and am wearing a 20 (I'm also doing other exercise programs as well).

I got the Shapely Secrets, and it's a brutal workout. It's only 7 minutes but I do not enjoy it the way I enjoy BF or pilates or yoga. Still, I belong to another Body Flex board and there are a number of women of all ages and sizes doing very well with it. I do it when I think about it, which of course won't get me anywhere.

She now seems to have an "Abdonda" program - special breathing WITH Shapely Secrets, and yes, I ordered it (I have yet to see the infomercial). I do like her products and they do work, they're just unconventional. I do not subscribe to any of her stuff about eating less meat and drinking more water and yes, I still get results. If you're dieting already, you'll do just fine with her workouts.

I'll report back as soon as I get the new stuff.

Samantha
samanthaf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #14  

Default Shapely Secrets

Thanks, Samantha. I think I may order her Shapely Secrets package. It might be something to get me started. I don't have the time for a gym and I find weight lifting so time consuming. We'll see how it goes.
Macmadgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #15  

Years and years ago (and I mean YEARS) there was a craze called Isometrics. basically that is all her program is with a bit of motion . Most programs tell you to breathe right and the holding muscles is all part of the weight training bit also. This is nothing you cant put together yourself with a little fact finding and basic knowledge about different programs out there. There are NO gimics and surf the net long enough and other peeps will give you all you need to know about each one of them!!!! Isometrics actually works by squeezing the muccles just like her program. {remember how as kids we used to squeeze our arms on a door frame???} same principle. have fun and i will join you fora few Python sessions lol
wordfire is offline   Reply With Quote