Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #31  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Also, a past "friend" of mine went shopping with me. I was back up over 200 and had been for some time. She had seen me lose all the way down to 130 a few years before. We shared a changing room. I was down to bra and panties, very vulnerable at best, and she said "my God, if I had ever lost that much weight, no way would I regain it all and look like that".

I was crushed. Of course, I never told her how much that hurt me. We just gradually drifted apart after that. I haven't been back to a changing room since that comment. I buy online or where I know I can take it back if it doesn't fit.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #32  
Metamorphōsis

S/C/G: 220/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

"Girls are commodities. Ugly* girls are broken products; no one would buy broken products."

*)fat, of course, and she was referring to marriage.

Mom. I was in elementary school. *facepalms*

Last edited by Symmetry; 01-17-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I haven't had anything as serious as the first post, but my little sister calls me fat cow pretty often. She's always been smaller than me and has no idea what it's like to struggle with the weight.

I've heard from a friend that a guy I used to hang out with told him that I would be hot if I lost the weight. lol So...good and bad? lol

But, recently, my sister has been saying I make her feel lazy because I exercise so much.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #34  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Suddenly, I am soooo incredibly thankful for my family We have our issues, no doubt, but they were never cruel regarding my weight. They might not have been particularly helpful, but never even the tiniest bit mean -

Aside from a couple boys in junior high who decided to follow me home from the bus stop and call names while throwing sticks and small rocks, and a couple other mean kids type incidents in childhood, I suddenly realize how lucky I've been (and how sad it is that I consider myself lucky since kids only threw stuff at me once...) -
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #35  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
"Girls are commodities. Ugly* girls are broken products; no one would buy broken products."

*)fat, of course, and she was referring to marriage.

Mom. I was in elementary school. *facepalms*
Holy shnikeys...is your mom Betty Draper?
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

OMG! Thank you Nola I needed that! LOL!
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #37  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I could totally see her saying that to little Sally, couldn't you?

The good news is that Sally seems to be turning out okay, so there's no need to believe the Bettys of the world and any bad news they have about "broken products."
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #38  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My SIL was telling me about finding some jeans that fit her perfectly and how excited she was. She has a difficult time finding jeans because she is heavy and a bit short. I was just nodding my head in commiseration with her as she told me when, out of the blue, she said "Well, at least I don't have your problem. You have these itty bitty lower legs and forearms and everything else is big." I had no idea what to say. I know that I'm obese, but I never realized that I look odd. I stood naked in front of the bathroom that night and asked my husband if he thought I looked odd, too. Well, I don't know what I thought he would say! Of course, he said no. But, I'm very self conscious now when I wearing capris or short sleeves.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #39  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Good for you for telling your uncle off, Gamecockgrrl! And to all of you guys.

At the moment, I can't recall too many *super* hurtful things that people have said to me about my weight. There were idiots at school (elementary school, mostly) and yahoos yelling out of car windows (and in one case throwing pennies at me), of course, but almost all of the mean or dismissive things that people have said to me about my weight have come from strangers or acquaintances who I've not been particularly attached to, and whose opinions usually don't carry a lot of weight with me anyway (no pun intended).

What really bothers me is when I sense that I am being overlooked, ignored, unfairly or unjustly excluded, or written off by people simply because of my weight. This has happened reasonably often in my life, in too many ways to list. On a related note, I haven't been too keen on the idea of getting married since I was a little kid, and there are still plenty of reasons why that's unlikely to occur even if I do lose the excess weight, but the way that a lot of men (many of whom are themselves overweight or obese) treat fat women in normal social and work situations has been most educational, and not really something that's made me inclined to favor the idea of trying for some special emotional and legal bond with one of 'em.

My weight also seems to incline some people to think I'll be stupid and so desperate for attention/affirmation that I'll be an easy mark for whatever they're selling, be it religion or makeup. Their delusions don't usually last too long.

Fortunately my parents have been pretty supportive of me, and their criticisms of my weight and eating habits (both of which they had a big hand in developing) have been pretty mild compared to what some of you have gotten from your families.

Last edited by theox; 01-17-2011 at 11:08 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #40  
= ]

S/C/G: 350/280/150

I grew up in a small town, 8,000 people at most. Everybody grew up with everybody, so we were all nice to each other for the most part. I got asked out in junior high a few times as a joke, and I knew it was a joke every time. Other than that, I never had issues with people being rude to me about my weight. Ever since I was a kid, I've been outgoing, so that helped as well since I wasn't the awkward fat girl sitting in the corner.
Rhapsodysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #41  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Wow...reading some of these is making me scared to leave the house! I've been very lucky, I suppose, not to have been tortured growing up. I can only think of two times when my peers were mean to me — the Token Annoying Kid in middle school once told my my feet were disproportionately small, and once a boy said "Watch out, she might sit on you" when another kid was joking around with me (again, in middle school). Oddly enough, I ended up dating the kid who said that for almost two years, and he was the sweetest boyfriend. Way nicer to me than I was to him, and I wonder if subconsciously my being a b*tch to him sometimes had to do with that ...

Other than those, the only other two times someone said anything to me have been in the last two years. And I was a fat kid — I was 215 pounds throughout most of middle school.

I did experience the people not recognizing me, though, which was humiliating. I had starved myself down to 135 my freshman year of high school, moved away and gained it all back (up to about 220), and then I went back to that high school. Nobody made jokes or anything, but a few didn't recognize me.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Reverse chronological order.

Prospective employers who brought me in based on the extensive military experience in my resume only to end the interview within minutes with the said excuse being my weight and/or fitness level even though the job is in no way physical (this has happened 3 times in a year).

My mother is bipolar. In the past when she became angry she has called me a fat-(unlovely word for offspring resulting from a horse and a donkey here).

When I was a size 10 my boyfriend of the time in telling me about a vivid hot and heavy dream with a beautiful woman...like one of the people who posted above I said "Like me?" and he said no, she was skinny.

When I was a size 8 going to the movies with my boyfriend at the time one of his friends looked at my midsection said "wow" and asked if I was pregnant.

Both of the last ones were real wtf moments.
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Also this thread is so sad and my heart goes out to all you ladies. You are all so strong. We can do this despite the often craptastic close-minded world!
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I feel for you girls, some of these stories are just awful. And Essa, you may not be thin (yet!) but you ARE gorgeous! I've gotten comments over the years, but not much that sticks out. I once had a total stranger come up and tell me "Wow, you're a big girl aren't you!" I think I was 190ish at the time. And one that did bother me...I was a newish driver so I was probably 17 and my cousins and I were at Wal*mart, wasting time. We were walking shoulder to shoulder so the four of us took up the aisle and I was on the end, so I ended up bumping into a display of bikinis. The youngest cousin, who was and always has been a stringbean, decides to run his mouth so he laughed and said something like "Yeah like you'll ever fit into one of those." He's still like that, NO filter, and I've accepted that it's how he is but back then...honestly, I knew I was chubby/fat, but despite lack of male attention and other fat girl woes, I never really cared, and that was the first time I truly felt bad about myself.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I actually had a comment on my mind recently and I talked about it in my blog today ( http://worsthalfweightloss.blogspot.com/ )

Its about a friend who made a particular negative comment about my before picture... which happens to now be 50 pounds lighter than I am today. The comment he made about how bad I looked in that picture makes me feel like sh*t about how much bigger than that I am now.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote