WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #1  

Default New to WW and having problems, lol

Well not so new, I had joined about three years ago and all was well. This time, I have lost about 3lbs in the past 3 weeks. I am having the worst problem with staying in my points range. And its not just a little oops, it's a 30 point oops. It's frustrating. I do fine then I get to the point that I am almost out of points and I panic. I get stressed and panic and then eat anything I can get my hands on.

So... any help??

Thanks
Amanda
bella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #2  

Are you planning out your day or just eating as you go along?? I find that if I try to write it all down in the morning (leaving 5 to 10 points free for later "just in case"), I do better than if I just eat as a I go along.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there Amanda!

Would you be able to give us a general day of what you eat? And around what times, too? There may be some advice we can give to help ease the points transition.

About the points panic, it's happened to me, too. But, remember that it's just food (I know easier said.) Really though, what's so wrong with being out of points for the evening (unless it's only 1:00 in the afternoon)? There will be food tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that. There are even zero point foods we can snack on if we are truly hungry.

Do you plan an evening snack? If you panic in the evening because you're worried you're going to be hungry after dinner, then plan a snack or two. Nothing wrong with that.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #4  

No I haven't been doing that. I may have to just plan the entire day. I have had to problem of being on the run. I go to the gym in the morning and tend not to eat anything till much later like between 1 and 3 is when I eat first. I know that's bad and have been trying to fix that.

I'll do the plan everything out tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Shelby - That's a good idea! Keeping just a couple points on the side, or even be willing to use a couple Flex Points just in case!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella23 View Post
No I haven't been doing that. I may have to just plan the entire day. I have had to problem of being on the run. I go to the gym in the morning and tend not to eat anything till much later like between 1 and 3 is when I eat first. I know that's bad and have been trying to fix that.

I'll do the plan everything out tomorrow.

Thanks
Yes, do give that a try! You may not have to plan every last detail, but having a general idea (apple or orange, cottage cheese, hardboiled egg for breakfast... etc.)

Not to mention, if I waited until between 1 & 3 to eat my first meal of the day, I'd be starving!

Also, it's important to eat generally within an hour after going to the gym (which btw, kudos to you for going to the gym!). Your body needs the energy.

Keep trying to get in some form of food sooner in the day. Even if it's a protein bar at first Gotta do what's healthy, but also what works for you!

Last edited by Lovely; 04-10-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #7  

I think it's stress. My normal day is, up at 6:00, drink coffee (about a pot). Put kids on but at 7am and then I do dishes or something, go to the gym around 8 workout till 10 go home, clean, and such then around 1 or so I remember to eat. SO I eat something like a bagel or a sandwitch or something. Then I eat around dinner time with my kidds. By then I can see I only have about 10 points left or so and it's like something kicks in and I just want to eat. Almost like I get the shakes so I give in, feel bad then eat eat eat. I at first didn't want to journal it but now I am, I figgure if I have it in my face, then I can look back at it. I am almost ready to cycle and I know that plays a big part also.

Hopefully i get over it soon, lol.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

You do a lot in the day! You definitely need the food throughout in order to keep up. Your body might even be trying to make up for lacking food earlier by wanting food later in the evening. If you see your whole day planned out, and just how much food you will be eating and enjoying, you may not panic about it. Try it out, let us know! If that's not it, we'll try and think of other things

Last edited by Lovely; 04-10-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #9  

I travel like I'm lost on a deserted island -- there are snacks in my purse, my travel bag, my car, etc. I even carry a few cans of V8 juice -- so I don't end of starving at any point, because that is just a "points burner" for me. I also find it nice to write it all down because I use the 3 month tracker, so I can go back and check on how many points things are and don't have to constantly calculate them out. I did originally hate the chore of writing it all down but now I kind of abbreviate a lot of them (like cc for cottage cheese) and it goes quick

I was having the same "points panic" too at first -- that I would not have enough to last me and by after dinner I was out of points which stunk, because I work at night until 1:00 a.m. -- but the better my choices, the more I get to keep

I also keep a bowl of cut up veggies in the fridge and single serve bags of microwave popcorn around -- perfect for "perceived starvation" and not much for points.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #10  

Thanks for the help, I will try that tomorrow. I am going to Sams Club tomorrow and now am a bit worried about the samples. But I'll figgure it out. I'll either save points or just won't have any samples.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #11  

If you smell something tasty -- walk the other way
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

HI Lindy
I just wanted to be another voice that says "plan ahead"

Your day sounds hectic, mine is too. I've been OP the entire week simply from planning ahead. I get up around 4.30ish to start getting my food ready if I haven't already done it the night before. I'm out the door around 6:30... 7am train, 8:45 I'm finally at work, work all day, some days go to the gym, get back on the train, travel home, arrive around 10pm. When I'm not going to the gym I'm home around 7pm.

If I can stay OP and I'm constantly on the run, you can definitely do it! Plan and put everything in your food journal so you know exactly how many points you have to spare for anything extra, then KNOW what you your extras may be. Fill up on fruit, veg and clean foods, drink lots of water, maybe some tea if you feel a little hungry but don't want to eat yet.

You can do this!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #13  

So much better, was I yesterday (ok we just watched star wars and I love Yoda, lol)

I planned ahead and was able to snack a bit. I did go over but only by about 4 points not 40 points. So I see that as a big victory.

I did go to sams club and the funny thing was, they had NO samples on a Fri night, lol.

I will try again today, but am saving some extra points up for dinner tonight, it's by husbands b-day and we are going to a hibatchi grill. But I should be ok.

Thanks so much for the help,
Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella23 View Post
So much better, was I yesterday (ok we just watched star wars and I love Yoda, lol)

Quote:
I planned ahead and was able to snack a bit. I did go over but only by about 4 points not 40 points. So I see that as a big victory.
HUGE victory!

Keep at it! That's fantastic
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #15  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hey Lindy, how did your dinner go?

Keep at it, day by day. Planning is really key in all of this!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote