Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 12:27 PM   #1  
Net browser

Talking Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 year olds #197

Hi Everybody
DH saw the doctor again and he is doing well and able to go back to the office on Monday. I guess the "Big Gun Antibotics" he was on did the trick.
Maria how are you doing with your infection? Feeling better now? Sometimes you just get lucky when shopping, that you find the perfect outfit without even really looking for one. (Or I should say DH found it) It sounds like it would be just great. You could still get the "silk" made up into something for another occasion.
Peggy after Glenda guilted you into giving out treats, how many little munchkins did you have at your door. My DH always insists that we potentially could get 100 to 200 children, so we must be prepared. Well, I made up nice goodie bags for 36 children and told DH if that went I would just hand out the the remainder of the stuff. Well we had a total of 27 children. I wrote it on my calendar so that when I get my NEW calendar for next year and fill in birthdays etc I will put that in ) I now have all these treats in my house. The chocolate will go into the freezer and the packs of candy I'll pass over to my dil and she can save them for the kid's lunch bags or just take them to the school in a couple of months for a school party or something.
I have not been walking on my treadmill (or anywhere else for that matter) since DH got sick. I just have to get these extra pounds off, and I know it can only be done with following the program and doing some exercise. So......today, back to the basic WW plan, not MY OWN version of it.
So Karen I can use all the help you have to offer. Talk to you all later.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:24 PM   #2  

G'day all,

Cool change came in this morning and it is quite a mild overcast day now.
DH has gone on his bike to watch ds play cricket about 8 km from our home. I was going to go with him but I still don't feel all that fantastic so decided to stay home.
The infection is clearing up but late yesterday I lost the temporary crown from my tooth . Rang the dentist who had already left, his receptionist said it should be ok but to come in first thing monday morning. My tongue is quite sore from touching the very sharp remains of this tooth and of course I cannot chew on that side and hot or cold drinks......

Slavika that is a lot of children calling your home for Halloween. I am sure your d-i-l will put the left overs to good use. Good to hear your dh is so much better. What ever did people do without the use of antibiotics

We had a nice time last night with friends we had not seen for over 12 months. With good friends it doesn't seem to matter how long it has been, we just pick up where we left off 12 months or so ago.

Off to a wine and cheese tasting function tonight at ds's cricket club. Won't be doing too much of either, I am driving so that is the end of wine and I am not all that fond of cheese. It will be nice to catch up with people we haven't seen for a while.

Have a great weekend all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-01-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #3  

Slavika- First off all I can say is get on track. Use your journal it is the most valuable tool we have when it comes to getting our eating under control The next thing is to use your winning outcome tool. Remember what it was that made you want to lose weight in the first place. Then ask your self how bad do I want this and what am I willing to give up to get it Also so glad yor Dh is better. I used to get pneumonia all the time. Now I get the flu shot and haven't had it in years.

Maria wine and cheese tasting tours are the thing Dh and I use to like doing when we were overseas(Germany) Used to take bus tours so we enjoyed the wine and didn't have to drive, Fun

Can't remember all that was going on in the old thread. So can't comment on all that.

Lily how is it going with the d-fluffing?

I need to get off this thing and get started on the wash. Want to finish my quilted table center thing. Also want to go see the the greek wedding movie . Have a new recipe for Potato soup I want to make also.

See you later
Karen
Old 11-03-2002, 01:52 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Glad your DH is getting better! I have never had Pneumonia but I hear its pretty bad. Poor guy

Maria: Wine and Cheese? Yummmm! Love to do that kind of stuff. And you dont like cheese? Alas! Thats one of my Red light foods. Put it in front of me and there no holding back

Karen: De fluffing going good. 3 more and Im back to where I want to be. I wrote my winning out come before I started. It has always helped me. I guess I'm the kind of person who just needs to set my goals see it in writting and nothing stops me once I do that.

Well you will all yell at me.... I didnt buy any candy for halloween to give out. I was a real scrooge this year. The past 2 years no one has really come, got tierd of buying candy and then not seeing the kids come by. So I just didnt bother this year.
Im a bad girl

Later!
Old 11-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #5  

Lily good for you. I agree I threw out so much candy Idon't think I will do it next year. Somany of the churches in town are planning activities for the kids that, they don't do much trick or treating any more.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:59 PM   #6  

Bought 20 pieces of candy so I wouldn't be the humbug and had 5 kids come by 7:15. It started raining so I closed up shop. I only had 3 pieces and the other disappeared. Must have a ghost in the house. Maria hope you are feeling better. Your dh sounds like mine when it comes to his taste in clothes. Glad that he found something that you both like. Can't wait to see a picture. Hope your tooth is doing ok. These things seem to happen on a Friday and you have to wait over the weekend to get it fixed. Wine might help numbing it. Karen you need to come and give us a daily talking to. You are a good leader. Share your potato soup recipe. That is one of my favorites. Slavika glad that your dh is better. Nothing worse than a sick man in the house. Lily good for you for getting back on track. You and Karen would make a good team. I am going to go read for a while. I have been making snowkids all day and am sick of looking at them. Jenye what is new with you? Hi Glenda.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:02 PM   #7  

G'day all,

We had a lovely weekend despite the fact I was only able to eat on one side of my mouth :eek
The wine and cheese tasting was fun but better still was the catching up with people we had not seen for a long time.
Yesterday was a beautiful 'top down' day and I packed some lunch and off we went. A 'glad to be alive day'.
Going to India has gone quite again and as time goes on, it is going to be more likely that it will happen in January

Lily I think you are very wise re the candy. Not much point getting the candy if no-one turns up and then who is going to eat it

I agree with Peggy please share the potato soup recipe Karen

Karen whilst the bus tours are a great option not for me, when I know I have to drive I just don't drink but when I know that is not the case, well I will leave it to your imagination......... the next morning is not a pretty picture

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 11-04-2002, 07:16 AM   #8  

Maria have you ever tried Jurlique Skin Care Products? I see in my Natural Health Magazine that they are made in Adelaide. You all can get a free sample from www.freeoffer.jurlique.com When they asked for phone # I just put in all 0's. [a little trick I learned from the telemarketers who call my house. I have reveal put on my phone and they have to put in a number and they get around it by putting in all 0,s so now I don't answer when all 0's come up.}
Old 11-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #9  
Life Time 2001

Karen: Yes Potato Soup recipe. Sounds good! I think thats why we dont get many kids anymore. They have a Park around my house and they have all kinds of activities there. So everyone goes there. We also had a scare here with some body putting a razor in some candy. They are trying to find out who. Cant believe people now a days.

Peggy: When are you doing another craft fair? You need to sell all the snowmen you are making Great idea on the phone! Never thought of that.

Maria: Bet your happy India might not happen til Jan. Then you will be home for Christmas! Your weekend sounded great! We were going to go for a ride yesterday but never made it. ALAS.

Later!
Old 11-04-2002, 10:34 AM   #10  
Fun Blonde

We had a wonderful weekend with kids. Went to my son's house for his coaching high school team and they lost, but we spent the rest of the weekend with them. Rented a horrible movie and played Guesstures. Austin was the center of attention and he, of course, loved it. We went looking for baby furniture for the new little girl. There is so much "out there" to take care of a baby and it is even different now than when Austin was born. The cute things they had then are now Cadillac-style, just more and nicer.

Anyway, went to Wal-Mart last night and they had candy bars on sale for $1 a bag and just had to buy 3 bags. Why? They are in the freezer and WILL NOT end up in my mouth. I am pretty good about that, at least. Chocolate usually gives me a horrible headache, but why were all us old heavy women over there looking and buying this "bargain." So silly. Lily, you are so much smarter and wouldn't be "taken in" by a silly bargain that will just tempt you.

Maria - I am always so envious of you going into spring when we are facing WINTER. Riding with the top down! WOW! We are already "bundled" up as if it were January.

Let's all de-fluff this week. Journaling is the bestest tool of all!
Glenda
Old 11-04-2002, 04:11 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Karen thank you for your input. Now you "KNOW" that "I KNOW" all that stuff having attended WW for a zillion years but sometimes you need someone to just remind you. DH went to work this morning, but he did not have a good night. He once again had night sweats, well actually three times during the night and they were just as bad as the last episode. I really gave him what for this morning and told him he had to contact his own doctor and find out what is going on. He said he was thinking about that, and thought maybe it was because we had a BIG dinner last night. I told him, a small salmon steak and baked potato was not a BIG dinner and what did that have to do with night sweats. Grrrrrrrrr, husbands! I think I will talk to our son today and tell him DH had the night sweats again and for him to also encourage him to see his doctor. That might do it. He makes light of it, but this morning there was this mountain of damp linen, and three wet PJ tops. There has to be a reason for this.
Well I am back to walking on the treadmill and my body is telling me it's been awhile. Peggy I went to that web addy you gave us but ALAS you have to live in the US.
Glenda our Supermarket had the Halloween Chocolates on half price and DH told me maybe I should go and get more. I gave him the "LOOK", and he didn't say anything else........ I have a ton of stuff as it is. All the menfolk in my life like frozen chocolate bars, DH, son, and grandson. I am just getting to the end of last years stash!
I am going to have Tea Time tomorrow so I will see Trudy It seems like I haven't seen her for a long time. Lily well done on the de-fluffing.

Last edited by slavika; 11-04-2002 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:08 PM   #12  
Net browser

HI All: Just heard from DH and he did call the doctor and has an appointment for next Tuesday. GOOD!
Talk to you all later.
Slavika
Old 11-04-2002, 08:41 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down Back in circulation!

The busy weekend is finished, my sore feet are rested and i had a chance to sleep in one morning to get caught up. I once again feel like a human being rather than a robot.

Maria: Sorry about the infection, and glad it is better. Why is it that with a broken tooth the tongue just won't stay away. It has a real mind of its own. Hope you got it fixed today.

Slavika: Husbands! I have never understood why they just have to take so long before they will go to the DR. Guess maybe it is because they are supposed to be big and strong and can't give in. Glad he made the DR. appt.

Peggy: Like your telephone idea. I must remember that. Hope you get to sell all your snowmen and ladies. We don't have to worry about getting trick or treat candy. No kiddies around here, and as we are a gated community they can't get in from the outside. But we did have a 'grown-up' trick or treater or two. Fun

Glenda: Never heard the idea of sleeping on cement, but I can identify. That was about the way I felt on Sat. nite. But I am learning to do something else instead of eat, because nothing really satisfies, except sleep.

Lily: good for you in the defluffing. I haven't been to WW in two weeks and now there will be no meeting this week as all leaders etc. will be going to a big meeting. So I keep plugging along. I think I have dropped two lbs. and hope I can do more before the next weigh in. My goal was to improve my health, and by putting on that extra weight again, I elevated my triglycerides once more so I have to get back to basics.

Karen: Thanks for the good advice. And I too would like the potato soup recipe. Today I made my own version of the WW vegetable soup. The only thing other than vegetables I added was some lentils. I need the extra fiber. So instead os 0 points, i have 1 point per serving. I usually put whatever vegetables i have available, as well as a can of mushrooms. I don't like the canned tomatoes as they are too often very acid, so I dice a fresh tomato in it. Sometimes I used chicken broth and sometimes beef. Mostly chicken, tho'

Hi Trudy: Hope you all have a lovely tea time. You will have to tell us what great goodies Slavika fixed this time. Low Point that is :

See you all tomorrow. Ann
Old 11-05-2002, 12:51 AM   #14  

G'day all,

Another beautiful sunny day here. Went to the doctors today and will be getting another cholestrol test and also a bone density test. The continual aches and pains in my hips are due to ageing...osteo arthiritis Also checked to see if we need to have any additional injections for our sojourn to India, she is going to find out and let me know.

Peggy Yes you Jurlique is made in the Adelaide Hills in a small place called Mount Barker. It is beautiful stuff. A couple of years ago for my birthday my children gave me a voucher for a massage etc at a Jurlique salon. It was divine
I think it is a little pricey but it is very nice so get your free sample!

Glenda it does always seem a little odd this being back to front with the seasons A workmate of dh is in Beijing and the other day the temperature got all the way up to -3 degrees and then the other extreme in Mumbai where it is always hot. The advantage of going to a hot country is that you can travel a lot lighter

Slavika Pleased to hear your dh has now made an appointment to see his doctor again. They can be very trying......husbands Sounds like you are back on track, I would find it hard walking on a treadmill. Most days we walk on an average 45 minutes.

Ann pleased you are feeling human again! My tooth will finally be 'crowned' on Friday!

A request.........
Does anyone have or know of someone who has a 'Steam Dream Machine'???? I see them advertised and on the shopping channel it is an American who shows all the wonderful things the steam does but I just wondered if it really is that good. I was mainly wanting to use it as an easy way to clean the grout in my tiles on the floor in my family room. One person told me that it is pretty useless and not half as good as shown on TV. I definetly do NOT need another useless gadget

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 AM   #15  

Maria I think that I would pass on that steam thingy. Usually those things never work as well as they show on tv. I bought an iron steamer at a yard sale and after I tried it I could see why they were getting rid of it. Slavika glad that your dh is seeing his doctor. Men!!! Have fun a tea time and tell Trudy hi.
Closed Thread