Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 11:59 AM   #16  

Welcome JoAnn - I hope you find this plan to be successful. I just started a little over two weeks ago and have had encouraging results. I lost 4.5 the first week and 5.25 the second week. I didn't really feel like I was starving either.

One thing I noticed regarding low blood sugar, is that mine is set off by caffeine. The first week I didn't drink any coffee at all - since I usually drink my home-made lattes with espresso and milk and sugar! It's alot of points for that morning jolt! Well, I was ending each day with quite a few extra points, so I added my latte back in. I don't go over my points, but it definitely makes me feel really light-headed and shaky by mid-morning. I think we are set off by certain foods and certain food combinations and it's a matter of recognizing them and making the adjustments - keeping a good food journal really helps with monitoring that.

So, my starting weight was 186 and I weighed in last Thursday at 175.25. Got my 10# ribbon.

I'll tell you guys what one of my motivating factors is. About two months ago, I got back in touch with one of my best friends from high school (we graduated in 1984). He hasn't seen me since ~1987 and I weighed about 120 back then. It turns out that there was a good reason we were such good friends back then, we get along perfectly and he is a doll. I've been describing my "perfect man" and I never thought it would be him - but it might be. It's all very weird and surprising. Let's just say that I'm very happy right now about this whole situation and highly motivated to be healthy and attractive. So that's why I'm . Girls, we had our first kiss last night! Who would think at 34, something so simple could feel so special!!

And - I hope all those kids and their mothers get well so they can enjoy this holiday weekend! My plan is to just take a little bit of my favorite foods - skip anything that I don't absolutely love. I'm glad that I'm not cooking, because the "taste-testing" has to be the hardest part! Remember it's just one day!

Mary

------------------
186/175.75/130
Old 11-23-2000, 09:44 AM   #17  

Hi there! Hopefully you don't mind if I drop in!?! My name is Nadine and I am from Mississauga, Ontario. I am a full time Dental Hygienist and am currently dating a wonderful man! I have been watching my weight and have attempted WW severall times. I rejoined this past June and am still attempting to keep it going! I started at 149.8 and have gotten down to approx 134. something but wasn't there too long before I went back up... I am at 139 right now.... I need all the help I can... I am very weak these days since I have started to date the man of my dreams again.. We dated Feb to June... and have started again in late September.... I was the silly one who broke it off... couldn't handle someone so perfect and wonderful for me! But... I came to my senses... Our problem is however, that he loves to eat and can really influence me! We love to eat out... drink wine and enjoy life which always is accompanied by food! I am trying to be the angel of the relationship always trying to make good choices for both of us... it is soooo hard.. He has been working alot.. so when we get together we chow down! I have moved to 3 different jobs since July and since schedules change, my time for exercise hasn't been a priority! I would love to chat with some good people to remain smart about keeping focused and staying on program.... Help me out guys~!!!!!

Have a great Turkey meal! Man it is chilly these days! Talk to you soon!

smiles
Nadine
149.8/139.0/135
Old 11-24-2000, 09:17 AM   #18  

Welcome Nadine!

I had exactly the same problem with the guy that I used to date. He was a big guy(not fat, just large) and loved to eat - ribs, ice cream, etc. We ate out almost all the time. I know that there are healthy food choices that can be made in restaurants, but it's very hard to resist the good stuff. He also loved to have dessert. A good example was breakfast - I'm perfectly happy with a bowl of cereal - he always wanted bagels, waffles, eggs, etc.

My advice is to try to eat in, then at least you have some control over the type of food that you're exposed to. Even if it's just for awhile when you're really working on the WW program - after you reach goal, gradually work the dinners out back into your schedule.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mary

------------------
186/175.75/130
Old 11-27-2000, 05:47 AM   #19  

Hello Thrilling Thirties!

I am new to this thread-- I have been posting at the 3 fatchicks website for over a year on the Zone thread. I have been experiencing a major plateau which is giving me a a bad attitude which is turning into a slow weight gain. I have lost 50 pounds since 1998 but in the last year I have put on about 12 pounds and I am scared for my life that I will be 225 again (I am only 5 feet tall).

I have joined WW a million times-- never reached goal but always had success-- just quitting everytime for whatever reason. I do not care for the meeting here or the leader-- she has been in this area for years. I live in a kind of rural area in Connecticut so this is all that is available to me-- so When I join AGAIN on thursday I need to keep a positive outlook and attitude.

I am 33 and I have 2 kids, Carly (8) and Ethan (4). I am happily married. I am finishing up grad school in 2001 and will return to the workforce September 2001 when my son begins Kindergarten. I dread it because I will have to live by someone elses schedule but the paycheck will come in SO handy after years of living on one income!

I work out at a gym and have found a love for running. In 1998 I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs with out huffing and puffing and resting at the top of the stairs and last month I ran in 5 mile race-- I came in 243 out of 249 and only passed a few walkers but I did it-- running the entire way. But as of late-- the attitude is affecting my motivation to exercise too.

I would love to chat here-- I need the support and I enjoy encouraging others too!

I look forward to posting and replying here !!

Jakeswoman aka Amy
225/168/178/150-- my goal is very different from what WW recommends but 150 is a good weight for me-- it is realistic and my Doctor is thrilled with that as a life time weight for me!
Old 11-27-2000, 11:53 AM   #20  

Welcome Amy,

I hope you find some great support here. I've found that there is alot of information and discussion here that helps me keep on track. I'm finding that I have to keep the plan and weight loss on the "top of my pile" if you get what I mean. As soon as I stop thinking about it, I fall into old, bad habits. My pattern has been, start out strong, feel confident, "oh, I don't really need the meetings", gradually go off plan.... So I'm working on breaking that old pattern. There are so many great resources online that I keep exploring to find different sources of inspiration.

What are getting your graduate degree in? I bet it's exciting to be so close to completion.

Also - it's great to hear about your 5 mile race. I use to run competitively in HS and college and have unfortunately gotten out of due to injuries and weight gain. Though it can be hard on your legs and feet, it's definitely exercise that gives good results that are noticable more quickly! I've started doing a 2.2 mile loop that's about half walking, half running. My first non-food reward was a new pair of running shoes. I really like them! Having non-food rewards is a new thing for me - food has always been the feel good thing for me. My next reward is a pedicure!

It's too bad that you don't have a good leader near you. I've been to groups with moderate to not so great leaders. This new group I joined happens to have a lady that's really great. She's funny - I feel like I'm going to a show that I just don't want to miss! Maybe there will be someone in the group that you can identify with and make a "pact" with to show up no matter what. If I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you know!

Good to have a new face here - I'm pretty new myself.

Mary

------------------
186/175.75/130
Old 11-27-2000, 07:50 PM   #21  

Hey thanks Mary!!

Non-food rewards-- I really need to do that, before I go on thursday I am going to set a non food reward for any success the first week. Then set 5 pound loss goals.

Your ideas are great-- just what I need. I wish I didn't have to wait until thursday.

Your 2 mile loop sounds perfect. I started just walking 30 minutes a day and couldn't even run a 1/2 mile until it had been a year. Keep it up-- you will get back into it-- if you are avoiding injury running can be very tough on the body. Power walking is just as powerful and can give similar results as running would. Make sure you take the time to truly stretch out after-- that is key to avoiding injury!

Well-- I am petrified to weigh in for the first time-- I am so afraid that I am back in the 180's-- my scale says anywhere from 173-178 but when I used my sisters scale over the weekend it said 183-- AAAAAHHHHHH!! It just floors me how easy it is to put back on-- even though I am exercising-- I must me eatting alot of calories. I crave to have that control back! I will let you all know.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving!! I am really looking forward to being apart of this thread!

For fun can someone tell me how to make all the symbols-- I know this one but how do you make the angry ones, maybe -- or the surprised ones, etc... Thanks Oh I see there is a smile legend-- maybe I'll check what that is all about.

Mary--I see you have lost a little over 10 pounds-- how long have you been on the program?

Got to go start the day---- AMY
Old 11-28-2000, 02:24 AM   #22  

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site per the reference of Jakeswoman. I just joined WW a week ago and NEED accoutability (that means all of you). I need you to shoot straight from the hip and help keep me in check.
Here's my MO: I'm 33 as of the 22nd of Nov., am 5'3", and weighed in at 154. I need to lose 24 lbs to feel better and will push you if you push back. I also have multiple forms of workout equipment that just don't seem to be doing their job. I've even dusted off the treadmill and step and they refuse to work (no, I haven't gotten on them in several months).

Your turn!!

------------------
kamifivi

Old 11-28-2000, 05:51 AM   #23  

Hey all! Well... Its Monday! The weekend was a bit of a blur.... Not totally on the WW plan, but I did keep a good curb on most of the time.... I am getting my big P tomorrow... so the scale is telling me 1 1/2 lbs up this week... thats ok... gonna keep focused~! December is almost here... and I want to look great at the new boyfriend's parents house on Christmas eve and day! We broke up for a few months this summer... and they had met me a few times before this.. I haven't seen them since like May.. so I will have to look and feel good to help win back there respect for "breaking up with their wonderful son".... Anyways, now that Turkey day is done... you Americans can get back on track! Anyone done all their Xmas shopping yet? I am almost done! Anyways, I better go.... I think we should post our goals by the week... what do you say PEOPLE? Mine for this week Nove 27 to Dec 1 is to drink 8 glasses a day and work out 3 times this week! Lets do it girlfriends!

Nadine(smiles)
Old 11-28-2000, 07:31 AM   #24  

Hi Amy - Here's a tool that I've been using that keeps me accountable. It's the nutrition diary on the www.dietwatch.com website. I plan my meals by the WW points and then enter the items into this online journal to see the nutritional values, calories, etc. It's free and seems to be just what I needed. It has made me very aware of calories, etc. Something I have never paid much attention to. It takes a little bit of time to enter everything, but I find it worth it. At the end of the day, the diary compares your totals to the recommended or customized goals and gives you feedback on how well you did - smiley faces, up and down arrows.

You may have the same problem that I've had - it doesn't seem like your eating too much, your exercising, but the weight gain happens. This tool really puts the truth in the numbers! I think it's neat.

I started WW on 11/2, so I've been on it just over three weeks. I had a quick weight loss to start, which was very encouraging. We skipped weigh-ins over thanksgiving so this Thursday will be two weeks since the last meeting. I'll be happy if I've lost about 4 pounds or so, considering the holiday. I was planning on ~1.5 lbs. per week, so I feel pretty confident that I can stay on track.

This week's goals: Run at least 3 times. Ice skate at least once. Find two new low point recipes and try them out.

Mary

------------------
186/175.75/130
Old 11-28-2000, 08:35 AM   #25  

Hey Kamifivi-- you found us! How great! You will find this very helpful and I think easier and more practical than what the WW website has to offer. Unless I am just working that website wrong-- could be!

Meewolf (I may have that wrong)-- I am logged onto dietwatch and use it sometimes-- it seems to take so long, maybe my computer isn't fast enough. When I join on Thursday I think I'll start up with it again if I find I can make time.

My goal this week is to JOIN WW-- and to go to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday and run from home on Wednesday and to do something active over the weekend.

I am going to hang my worst picture on the refridgerator-- that would be when I weighed 220 and actually let someone take a picture of me in stretch pants-- OUCH!!! Why didn't anyone tell me how bad I looked- I dressed like that for so long too. But who is going to tell a sad, depressed (and at times nasty) fat chick that she needs to lose the stretch pants??? Apparently nobody. But I will hang it there so I am reminded of where I do not want to return. I know it is negative enforcement but I bet it works!

Keep smiling !! And I again I am glad to see you here Kami!

Amy aka Jakeswoman
Old 11-28-2000, 08:19 PM   #26  

Hi Ladies!

Amy, thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to get lots of support from you gals. Are you ready for Thursday? I weigh in for the 1st time since joining on 11/21. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of a little loss but can't expect too much because I didn't start "seriously" until 11/25. We'll see.

THIS WEEK'S GOALS: Make my point choices more healthy and work out a minimum of 30 minutes 3X.

What do you guys think about including a post-goal notation each week (i.e., did we reach our personal goal).

EVERYONE>>>>Keep up the good work and let's keep each other in check!!!

154/?/130

Meewolfie, I definitely need your motivation for the workout portion of this project! I have planned to begin walking with a co-worker two days a week beginning tomorrow.

Mary, what a great idea to eat ONLY the things you absolutely love during the holiday season! I have three Christmas parties over the next three weeks + a wedding and you have just helped me decide how to handle the BIG decision of what to do at the parties. I had even considered not going to two of them because of the temptations. I wonder why we crave food so much when it only makes us feel bad later!? I guess if we can figure that out, there would be no need for WW or this site, right?

All, have any of you tried the "recipe" for "ice cream sandwiches" that only count as one point on the WW plan? Let me know if you are interested.

Old 11-29-2000, 02:23 AM   #27  
soon to be thin

Good afternoon: Sorry I haven't been here for awhile. I've been shopping and I haven't had time to get on the computer. There are some new people thats great. Welcome! I haven't been sticking to my plan at all. I seem to have lost control. Well, it time for me to get ready for work. Have a great day.

------------------
TALK TO YOU "LIGHTER"
Tammie
Old 11-29-2000, 05:04 AM   #28  

Tammie: I think shopping counts as exercise! Especially at this time of the year! My strategy if I go off plan is this: Start the next day as if it was my first day on plan. That way I have a few things going for me - I'm already familiar with what I have to do to be successful, I'm "starting" at a new lower weight, so even if I've gained a few, there is still less to lose until goal. I'm planning on using this strategy when I reach my first 10%, because I've failed in the past when I've let a little success go to my head and then I've gotten over confident and gradually gone off plan.

Over and over again I'm trying to teach myself that one mistake or one day or one week is not an excuse to give up. There's a message on the "general WW" board about "what size did you wear last christmas". I found it great inspiration. People are really, truly being successful by doing this. It's a good reminder that we can do it too!

kamifivi It sounds like many of us have Thursday weigh-ins. Pretty soon we'll all be menstruating together!

Seriously, though, it keeps us on similar schedules through the week and we can set weekly goals, etc. Friday could be our day for posting weigh-in successes, goals reached, etc. How does that sound to everyone?

Amy My "handle" is meewolfie, but you can call me Mary! I have done the opposite as you and have posted a picture of myself from when I was about 118 and had just won a third place trophy at a 5k race. It's a nice reminder of where I'm heading, but I can also understand the "worst" picture posting, because then you're reminded of where you never want to be again!! I think I may put two pictures up. I love to visit the web-sites of people who have documented their losses. It's great to see all of those beautiful, happy faces of people that have regained a healthy life!

Have a good Wednesday!

Mary

------------------
186/175.75/130
Old 11-29-2000, 07:45 PM   #29  

Drumroll paleeez! I weighed in last night for the first time since joining and have lost 4.8 #'s!!!! Now that's motivation. No way am I going to screw up today...I have too much to look forward to next week!

Mary: God forbid we all start menstrating at the same time...we may get kicked off the site for using fowl language !

Do you girls have Christmas parties over the next few weeks? I'm going to do my best to eat ONLY the things I really want and brush the others aside like they're cheese (I HATE CHEESE!). My first party is Saturday night but it is at the home of a neighbor that is also a WW member. I've already asked that she have a plate with 25 points on it! (I have 18 points saved up from this week and MUST use them!) I guess that would be a good TIP OF THE WEEK: If you know you have a party coming up and it will be difficult to stay in control, save up a few points throughout the week and use them the night of the party!

Have a great day everyone!

Kim
154/149.2/128

[This message has been edited by kamifivi (edited 11-29-2000).]
Old 11-30-2000, 02:08 AM   #30  

KAMI--- THAT IS FABULOUS You must be so thrilled!! This should help you through those holiday shin digs you have going on-- like you said you have so much to look forward to!

Mary-- GREAT Idea about the "thin or Fit" picture. I am going to put mine side by side. My husband and I started to clean out the closet last weekend-- I was driving him nuts because I had to stop constantly to look at old photos-- well I found one from when I was 17 or so and I was so fit and beautiful then-- and I thought I was fat then HAA HAA HAA-- If only I knew! I am going to hang that next to the woman in spandex-- I still can't believe that woman was me. C'est La Vive-- no longer I am on the road to healthier days!

I am joining tomorrow night-- provided I don't get snowed in-- big snow predicted. But I have two chances-- there is a morning meeting and an evening meeting- I should get to one. I would walk if I had to-- I am so ready for this!

I am feeling VERY energized-- I have been bitten by the gym bug again. I can get very addicted to the club-- I went yesterday and did strenght training for an hour and then ran a mile-- (that killed me) and then today I did a spinning class that whooped my butt! But if feels good and I am feeling better about myself already.

Mary-- I did come up with some non-food rewards and my husband agreed to help (he is the BEST! And I can say that after 11 years of marriage)-- I love to have massages-- and I can't afford a massage therapist-- so for every 5 pounds I lose my husband said he would rub me from head to toe with warm oil and aromatic candles burning--and here is the key-- OBLIGATION FREE (if you know what I mean)-- unless I feel like it, of course. For 30 minutes he will rub me each time I lose 5 pounds. And then when I hit goal I am spluging and going to a professional for a full hour. Isn't that great?? For me it is heaven and the greatest motivator!! SO thanks for the idea of Non food Reward-- I knew I'd think of something good!

I have an idea for Kami-- I have a couple of holiday parties too. I am going to bring a couple of WW things to the parties. There are alot of recipies-- I am going to try the dessert pizza (I got it off the ww website) and decorate it with red and green sprinkles to make it more holiday like. This way there will be a dessert I know I can have and I will know the point value. Also- if you like coffee-- I like to bring the host or hostess some gourmet flavored coffe for a hostess gift (usually in a basket or something to spruce it up) and then offer to start a pot-- this way I walk around with a cup of coffee for a while as oppose to wine or beer or fatty eggnog. I also bring flavored seltzer water wherever I go and some limes and lemons and pour it in a wine glass let the fruit float around and drink it-- it is kind of fesitive. Just some ideas-- the cocktails are such wasted calories I try to go light on that so I can splurge a little on the "food" stuff.

Well this is mighty long-- I will post sometime tomorrow to let you know how signing up went.

Keep all the great work everyone!

Amy
Closed Thread