Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 12:18 PM   #1  

Default I finally did it

I finally did something I have been putting off for a year or more. I weighed myself. I knew it wouldn't be good and it was quite shocking. Yesterday, I decided I needed to do something after thinking all summer, things were getting bad. My high weight about 5 years ago was 212. I then started a walking/slim fast program and got down to about 165. But....in the last 2 years my weight has slowly crept back up. I'm not walking consistently and I'm back to eating junk. I have been avoiding the scale like the plague, and decided yesterday I needed to get real with myself no matter how bad it was.
I stepped on the scale, about midafternoon, after a day of eating ( the worst time of day for me to weigh myself ) and it said a whopping 194. NOT GOOD!!!!!
I pulled out my old weigh watchers book and ate fruit and a half a turkey sandwich for dinner. I plan on having a discussion with my kids about cutting back on the junk food in the house. I can't have that stuff in the house or I eat it.
I don't have the points calculator, can anyone give me the formula for calculating points?
Thanks for your support.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:51 PM   #2  

Thumbs down Congratulations

Good for you. Stepping on the scale and coming to reality is very hard. You are not alone. We've all been there and done the same thing.

You made a great choice for dinner. Keep it up. Take one day at a time. Drink your water and journal.

As for the formula for calculating the points, I'm not exactly sure. Hopefully, someone will answer on that!!

Good luck to you!
Old 08-15-2001, 09:45 PM   #3  

Hi good for you.!!!!!1 You can do this/ Go to www.angelfire.com and type in points calculator. I think it is number 2 on the list. I use this all the time. You can download this on your computer and have it all the time. Good luck!!! Patti
Old 08-16-2001, 12:43 PM   #4  

Team Mom,

I can't really help you on the points question because I am not really counting points.. I count calories.. it is easier for me to do that.

However, I can really relate to your story. My high weight was 195.. and I also dieted down to about 165 about two years ago.. and gained it all back.

I am also a compulsive overeater.. so not only do I have to deal with losing excess weight.. I have to work daily with my addiction. It is a challenge.. I struggle constantly with this. I can relate to having trigger foods around. Congratulations on being pro-active with your family on this.

Posting here is a really valuable part of the process. We welcome you!

Best,
Elainer.

195/189/140
Old 08-16-2001, 01:21 PM   #5  

Hi Elaine,
We are about the same weight with the same goal.
How many calories/fat grams is your goal per day? That would be easier than points.

Thanks everyone else for the points info. Doing the points looks to be sort of fun, and maybe help us strive to take in more fiber and more healthy foods. But I love the fact that if you eat something not so healthy, you can fit it into your plan.

Barb,
aka Team-Mom
Old 08-16-2001, 01:53 PM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

Default New to Weight Watchers

I decided five weeks ago that I should lose some of the excessive weight that I am carrying around. I tipped the scale at 186 lbs., so want to lose the extra 65 lbs. that have been my albatros for so long.

I dragged out the old Weight Watchers book and decided to follow the points regime, but unfortunately, do not have the funds or the time to attend meetings. Fortunately, another lady at work wanted to lose some weight, so we have our own little weigh-ins at the nurses' office once per week. The nurses give us lots of info, recipes and encouragement and are always hanging around when we come to weigh - just to find out how much we lost that week. Through this effort, we now have another 5 people in our weight loss group with more who are joining when they get back from vacation. It has been very rewarding and I have realized a weight loss of 15.5 lbs. so far. I leave for vacation on Sept. 14 and am hoping to lose another 10 lbs. before then...pounds that I plan to keep off throughout my vacation time.

But, back to the point that I was writing about. The biggest difficulty that I have encountered so far was figuring out how many points are in recipes that don't specify the WW points on them. Thanks to the person who steered me to the points counter on the angelfire site. It is soooo neat and I have had a lot of fun converting my own recipes and others to the WW points.

Thanks, again

Peggy
Canada
Old 08-16-2001, 03:33 PM   #7  

YOur welcome for that site. Isn't it nice. I use it all the time and download it so you an use it more often. We can all do this together with a little help from each other. Patti
Old 08-16-2001, 04:20 PM   #8  
Conquering with SBD

Default Download Point Counter

Patti, I went back to the site to find out how to download, but didn't see any directions. Can you give me some directions on how to download? Thanks much.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:35 PM   #9  

Hi Peg. Go to the site and get the calculator on your screen and then go up in the left top corner and click on file..... Then click on SAVE AS...this will then give you a choice where to put it on your computer. I put mine in documents. Let me know if this works. If not I will send it to you.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:49 PM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

Thanks Patti. That worked perfectly.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:59 PM   #11  

YOU ARE SOOO WELCOME!!!!
Closed Thread