Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #16  

Height: 6'0"

lala, I've been to Buca. You're right--huge portions. It wouldn't be my choice, either. Eww, snails, are those what you can get rid of with a can of beer? Pour some beer in a dish; the snails drink it and then they're gone!!

I'm glad there's no tar at your work. That happened in one of my past jobs. It was horrible. You just feel sick. Our wonderful management wouldn't allow us to leave for the day.

Pam, Wow! You're blonde? I'm seriously thinking about it. My weird mind thinks that maybe the gray won't show as much with blonde hair. Is that true or not?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #17  
si, si signora

Snails and beer. Good idea. I have lots of beer that DP put outside for such a reason and never did anything with them. I'll put some out tonight. I have some cottage cheese containers (science experiments) that I could make into snail mortuaries.

Lisa -- I would go blonde if your skin tone allows it. I'm thinking that I like this lighter hair thing. I'll speak to my stylist tomorrow about when I need to get colored again.

Pam -- I hear you on the weight gain, drink water and watch those portions.

We ended up eating at 10 pm. How very continental. DP was helping our friends get their garden shed up. I thought it was one of those pre-fab things, but its really just lumber and you still have to cut things and do framing. She loved her drumsticks, the dog was ready to go bed when she got home.

Do any of you have a dog who insists that his people be quiet and let him go to bed. He's such a pill that way.

Okay, back to work ... I love data transformations.

lala
Old 08-03-2004, 01:58 PM   #18  

Lisa: I think blond does hide grey better because there's less contrast (at least I've convinced myself of that). My hair is/was naturally blond but I have lots of grey now so I get caramel and ash blond highlights. That mixed with my own colour seems to work well and last longer. Re bugs and insects, I thought beer got rid of grubs, but I could be wrong. I have a wonderful tomato plant on my deck and it's loaded with fruit. Lala's right - no comparison between a homegrown tomato and one from the grocery store.

Pam: I'd love the opportunity to do an "at-work" weigh-in but our office is much too small. The WW centre isn't far from my home, so I really don't have much excuse.

lala: We don't have the buca chain here. Good thing. Happy snail hunting. What is a lime/cilantro drumstick? Ice cream? Sounds like something else I'm happy we can't get here

Melissa: Seems like it was yesterday when you were talking about the students leaving, and now they're returning. Where did the year go?

Had a bit of a meltdown this morning. DH called to say that his buddy and his soon-to-be ex "trophy" girlfriend might be in town and staying with us on Thursday. I've mentioned this guy before; the houseguest from he** who does nothing to help and sleeps til noon. With five other people already invited to dinner, the stress level was just a little too high for that bit of news. Anyway, it turns out he isn't coming after all, but DH got an earful about how I feel about this guy assuming he can drop in whenever it suits him.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #19  
si, si signora

Susan --

Will commiserate on the houseguest issue. Maybe DH will mention that you are currently redecorating the next time he's in town. I'm learning to say no. Its hard.

The chicken drumsticks were drumsticks (I hate them) marinated with lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, salt and a nu-mex pepper. DP loved them. I would do the same with
chicken breasts if I had the time.

I love the ice cream drumsticks. They rawk.

Okay, really need to get back to work.

lala
Old 08-03-2004, 04:49 PM   #20  

Susan, you have a right to be angry about that type of houseguest. I think DH should stick up for you!! I think we all have friends that one or the other spouse doesn't particularly like, am I right?

Okay, ladies, you're talking me into blonde; I hope I have enough courage.

lala, when you started your post, I thought you were talking about a new dish--Snails and Beer!! Ha-Ha. I think the lids of the cottage cheese containers would work best so the little buggers can climb in there to get the beer.

Speaking of chicken, I tried a new recipe. Mix pesto with a little chicken broth for right consistency. Put chicken breasts on the grill and slather the pesto stuff on them. Put the chicken breasts on a bun (if you like) and add cheese (I like provolone) and a tomato slice. Yummy.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #21  

Hi Again,

Domina go for the blonde!! And yes it does help hide the gray better. Isn't it funny, I've never actually seen any of you (with the exception of Lala's LBD picture recently) but this is the hair color I imagined everyone with:

Susan - Blonde (I was right)
Lisa - Black (wrong, but you originally were brown so I was close)
Melissa - Auburn (Am I right or wrong?)
Lala - Blonde (OK I was completely wrong)
Old 08-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #22  
si, si signora

Lisa --

I'm going pestofy my basil tonight and guess what's for dinner tomorrow night?

The sameish thing!

Wish me luck tonight, I'm going over to pick up my friends house and they are treating us with Pizza-- not what I need. I can't eat one piece!

Okay, back to powerpointing.

lala
Old 08-04-2004, 08:33 AM   #23  

Pam: This is how I pictured everyone:
Melissa: blond (OK, I've seen a picture but even before that, I saw her as blond)
lala: dark brown or black
Lisa: light brown
Pam: auburn
lala: Did the pizza get you? I have a hard time having just one piece, but then again, portions are my biggest challenge. I'm a big girl, and I love food! BTW, the marinade sounds yummy but I'd use chicken breasts or thighs. Don't often buy drumsticks.

Lisa: Thanks for the recipe -- I'll try it! When are you heading to the hair salon? It's time for me to go again too.

Hi Melissa.

It's been incredibly hot and humid here. Don't want to complain since it's been so yucky to this point, but humidity is not my thing. On the other hand, it's largely been responsible for us spending a lot of time in the lake over the past few days. The water is as warm as a bath!!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:37 AM   #24  

All right, since we're doing the hair thing, here's how I pictured everyone:

lala, dark brown
Susan, red hair
Melissa, blonde hair
Pam, brown hair

lala, how was the pizza. Since WW, I just have stayed away from pizza. I rarely have any and if I do, I try very hard to have one piece (that's tough).

I'm going blonde next time I color my hair.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #25  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! Cool temps are on their way! It's raining this morning and the cool front is supposed to move in--tomorrow's high is only in the mid 60's! Our weather hasn't been the greatest the past couple of summers. Usually we get a lot more hot/humid days.

Lisa: I agree that being blonde/light brown that the grey hair doesn't show up as much. I've got quite a few sprouting in the front of my hairline but they're not that noticeable. My hairdresser told me I could use "just for men beard & moustache color" to get those few errant buggers that drive me insane rather than coloring my whole head. I'd ask your hairdresser what color would complement your skin tone--you don't want something that's going to make you look "washed out".

Pam My hair color is a dark blonde/light brown. I used to color it/highlights but I've gotten away from it the last 3 years. I'll get a picture and post it so you can put a "face" to the name. Yes, my son attends college here (it's a nice bonus).

Lala: I'm like you, I can't just eat one piece of pizza. It's one of my favorites and I don't know when to stop! I have a bunch of basil in my backyard and need to make up some pesto. I love making tomato sandwiches and putting fresh basil on it. When I was in London I had a sandwich from Pret that had brie, basil and tomato on a baguette...mmmm.

I'm trying really hard to curb the night time snacking and eating "empty" (snack) foods. Time to re-group and move ahead. Hope everyone is having a good morning!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #26  

Melissa, thanks for input. I color my hair at home, so soon I'll be going blonde. I'm rather fair and have blue eyes, so I think it will work.

I just love brie and on a baguette. You're making me hungry.

Mmmm, homegrown basil. I tried to grow some once. Actually it was quite good, but the sun got to it.

Yesterday I was doing so well OP and then at play rehearsal they brought out a birthday cake. Well, I just had to have a piece of cake. I hope I do better today. TOM is here, too, so that just makes it all the more fun!! I will probably wait till next week to WI.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #27  
si, si signora

I think I had Lisa tagged with dark hair -- was I off!

Susan with blondish/red -- from your pic
Melissa -- blondish

Pam -- reddish/brown

I had two small pieces (they were medium pizzas) of pesto/artichoke heart/sundried tomato and goat cheese pizza. They also bought a salad which was nice and I had a fizzy water instead of a diet coke. I drank 55 oz. of water yesterday which was good for me.

Today I'm going for the 64 oz. total.

My TOM started last night. I am soo bloated and achey. The wierd thing is that my TOM last about 2.5 days now. They are regular, but short. Maybe TMI for all of you.

I didn't get to my basil last night, but tonight is the night. I'm going to harvest from the garden too. DP promised me she would be home tonight, so she'll water and weed and I'll do the indoor home arts.

I have a killer headache, maybe I need water.

I am going for a haircut tonight, the great thing about short hair is that it takes about 30 minutes to cut. I'll be home before 7:30. Yipee.

Okay, gotta go and get some water and answer the 20 emails that are piling up.

lala
Old 08-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #28  

Hi Ladies,

I'm happy because tomorrow is my Friday!! Yup a nice long weekend for me...we're going to try and go to Saratoga on Friday to see the races. Should be fun as long as the weather holds out.

All this hair conversation made me realize I have an appointment on the 14th for a cut and color. My stylist was out on maternity leave but the timing of her leave actually worked out ok for me..I saw her the end of June, she had the baby on the 4th of July and she's back to work on the 14th of August. I usually go about 7 weeks between colors so not too bad.

Melissa the nightime munching was getting to me also. So far it's looking good today and I might actually have my 3rd OP day in a row. There's nothing like a big number on the scale to scare you into being OP again

Lala I'm having TOM problems also. They have been very short 2-3 days but this month I'm now into day 6?? To make matters worse, the OB/GYN I went to for the past 20 years just retired, now I have to find someone else!!

Susan enjoy your hot humid weather, we've got the same thing here and you just know it's not going to last. We'll both be freezing again before you know it.

Hi to Lisa hope all is going well. What does your DH think about you going blonde??

Time to go and decide what we're having tonight for dinner tonight..nothing is really appealing to me at the moment. Talk to you later..
Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #29  

Well, it's Friday for me, too. My company has an alternate work schedule. Tomorrow is golf and opening night for the male version of "The Odd Couple."

Pam, my husband has a "wait and see" attitude. You can wait 7 weeks for hair color? I couldn't do that; I barely make it to 4 weeks.

Ugh, I can't believe that you need to find a new OB/GYN. That's so difficult.

I had another OP day yesterday, but I'm not losing a thing. I went on the Internet this morning to check out this new medication I'm on and one of its side effects is water retention, so I think that is the problem. Thank God I won't be on it forever.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #30  

'morning. Another gorgeous day here but I think they're forecasting rain for the weekend. I won't mind that a bit; much easier to get my runs in.

Speaking of runs, I've pretty much decided to do another half marathon. A few of the women that I ran with during the clinic/bluenose half are doing the one in Prince Edward Island on the weekend of Oct. 16/17th. PEI is pretty much flat, so it shouldn't be too difficult, although the distance is always a challenge. The only thing I'm worried about is getting enough training during this hot and humid weather. Definitely not my best time.
Now, if I can just follow the program while I'm training, I should be able to drop this extra weight.

I also heard yesterday that I'm being matched with another mom/newborn for the next few months. Oh boy, another little baby to hold and play with. It will be busy with training and the volunteer work but at least it will keep me out of the fridge.

Lisa: You must do full colour if it only lasts a month. Highlights last much longer. I can go 3-4 months.

Pam: We all seem to be dealing with TOM woes. Hope this one doesn't turn into a marathon for you.

Melissa: I have the nighttime munchies too. I don't think I eat enough during the day and it comes back to haunt me after dinner.

lala: You did well controlling the pizza portions. It sounded yummy! Any trips planned for the near future?

I'll be leaving early today. Having a dinner party tonight and need to make at least one dish ahead so that I can enjoy the company tonight. I was hoping we might be able to sit outside for a bit but I think the rain will have started by then.
Closed Thread