Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 06:08 PM   #1  

Unhappy

I am recovering from a broken ankle (6 months so far) and playing with my little corgi on my bed was the sum total of my exercise for most of that time. Now I have returned to work on crutches, but I still can't walk far. I need help to quit lying to myself about why my WW diet isn't working. I have over 100 lbs. to lose and I'm 56 years old. Is it a hopeless cause? No, no...I know the answer to that. I just need some encouragement.

Gobbie
Old 04-20-2001, 08:38 AM   #2  

Gobbie: I haven't seen your name before, so I'll assume that you're new here. To that I say, "WELCOME"!

You already know that this challenge is not a lost cause. The WW program is one of the healthiest - if not THE healthiest - I've found. Since I also have 100+ pounds to lose, I've been around the block in regard to diet programs. What they say at the meetings is true, you have all the tools you need, now you just need to use them. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I am NOT preaching. I am the original procrastinator and excuse maker for not getting my butt in gear and doing what needs to be done - once and for all.

I think the WW program can carry us for the rest of our lives, yet I still have trouble in certain areas (journalling, drinking water, and lately exercising). Sometimes just having to plan my meals, which is always a good idea, can seem like one more thing to add to my to-do list.

I think that the secret for those of us who tend to fall off is to get back on, while chanting all of the things we CAN eat and the different ways we can MAKE it work. Believe me, I'm saying all these things not only to you, but to myself also. We are all human, make mistakes, and take breaks from what needs to be done. Think of this as a "learning experience".

You mentioned your broken ankle and that you're 56. I don't know how long it takes an ankle to heal. What I'm thinking is that this is a good opportunity to have a chat with yourself about taking care of yourself, your bones, and your overall health.

It may help also to come to this site often. There is a lot of support and excellent ideas here. Here you will learn that you aren't alone and that if others like you have been successful, you can be, too.

When you're ankle is sore, try some upper body exercises or non-weight bearing exercises. That will keep your other muscles active and your heart pumping.

So good to have you here,

2oM (Annie)
Old 04-20-2001, 09:38 PM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Gobbie - Welcome!
I too have 100 to lose and for 2+ years have felt the overbearing weight of procrastination, frustration and depression because no diet was "clicking". Last October I began walking daily and I got myself up to 1.5 miles per day which is AMAZING for me. The day after I met that goal, I sprained my "foot" at a pee wee football game. I sat at home crying because the "click" was lost in an instant. I was in a cast for 8 weeks and I felt so depressed. Then I just had surgery in March and I was so frustrated that I couldn't get out there and walk..... BUT this time I thought - OK since I can't walk, WHAT CAN I DO??? And I came to the realization that I COULD become totally engrossed in my diet and following the WW program to a "T". I couldn't make it to join a meeting for 4 weeks after the surgery, but in the last 7 weeks - just my diet alone (following WW) I've lost 19 pounds. The day before my surgery the doctor weighed me at 252 and yesterday on my final checkup before returning to work I was 233 on his same scale. Just this week I began walking again and was able to make it out 3 days....

If you can just concentrate on ONE area of life change which would be better for you - just try that only. To me, changing my eating habits - even without exercise has given me a tremendous change of energy level. Also - I found that while I was stuck at home - cleaning out a packed dresser or a set of junk drawers that I never had time for was liberating and made me feel like I was accomplishing SO MUCH - even though it was little physical activity.

These boards are great too for encouragement - we've all been exactly where you are today. It's so frustrating to "know" what you are supposed to do - yet you can't bring yourself to do it!!! We're here for you if you need reassurance and motivation.
Kim
Closed Thread