Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #46  

Thank you all so much for your support! Noone else knows I'm trying to lose weight, so you are the only ones I can turn to for help and support. Just reading your posts about your losses and NSVs gives me enough motivation. Today was a good day, stayed within points. Thank you so much girls, you're a great group of people. My main motivation is the fact that I desperately want to lose weight, I feel like I've lost so much precious time, and I really want to enjoy myself and life and be as I want to be. Well, that's enough. Take care all and congrats to the "losers"!!

Natalie
Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #47  

Natalie - great to see that you are keeping that positive attitude. Like the thread says, this is a journey. Sometimes we will have potholes on that path. That's why we are here. Looks like you had a good day. Tomorrow, you can have another one.

Linda - From what I saw on the website I found abseiling is like repelling. Going down a building, bridge, or cliff with a harness and cord. Brave girl, that Dawny! I'm glad you have found your quilting group. It sounds like a great group to of ladies and such a great cause! It is good to have something that you can look forward to that you know will be uplifting.

Well, I'm very pleased to announce that my WI was GREAT! Lost 2.2#, so that put me over the 20# mark! Yippee! Another little dancing guy to entertain! I was whining this morning because I have clothing that is either too tight or too frumpy. Hee-hee, won't belong until I shop my closet again.

I have heard may times that nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. I have always been overweight so, that never really sunk in. After getting rid of 20#, I am starting to believe it is true. I'm far from thin, but I know how much better I feel already.

My love to everyone!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #48  

Greetings!!

Just a quickie - I need to get my dog out for a walk...

Good to hear from all of you, and Natalie, I'm really pleased you aren't giving in - YOU GO GIRL!!! And Melanie, congrats on reaching another goal!

I had my weigh in and after the excesses of the wedding at the weekend, I am afraid to say that I.......

lost 2.5 pounds! I was in shock, but am feeling really pleased

Anyway, just keeps me more motivated - I have a holiday in the middle of september so if I can lose about 12 pounds by the time I go I will be very happy....

I'll try to get back later, Fiona xxx
Old 08-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #49  

Hi, everyone has had another great WI this week by the looks of it.

Melanie, hi, 2.2 is wonderful news, and I still just love those dancing 'animals', are they sheep? Anyway, you were right about the abseil, I'm surprised I spelt it properly actually, but yes, I will be going down the side of our Sheffield United football stadium apparantly. I now know that it's the first weekend of October, so plenty of time to prepare. It's given me a good bit of motivation, no-one will want to see my big butt over the top of the building, so double fast losses for a while - well I can hope can't I?
Linda, your work with your quilting sounds very rewarding. It's a warm feeling inside to know that you are helping others with things you enjoy. I will be careful with the abseil, but I'm led to believe it's very safe - I'm sure they are right!
Natalie, keep going girl.
Fiona, great loss once again. It makes you wonder why we lose so much when we've had a good pig out, doesn't it. Makes a good weekend become great. fab news.
Well, off for now, just a quick visit tonight, back tomorrow, see ya later.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #50  

Great work Fiona. You must have been a very good girl except for the wedding. I love those little surprises.

Careful, Dawny. By October, the wind may just carry you away! You will have to ask them for some weight on your harness!

Well, I am struggling with a plain old bad day. Woke up late and have been a step behind the rest of the day. Tonight I have been invited to my sister-in-law's house for dinner and scrapbooking. I was first told we would order pizza, but I heard she is making lasagna. Eek! I am going to call and confirm that info. If so, I am going to politely decline and eat something else. I just don't like it enough to use that many points, especially since I had the Lean Cuisine version earlier this week. Wish me luck. The bad part is that SIL and another lady coming tonight are also in my weight loss group at church. They just aren't taking it very seriously.

Well, back to work with me. It's strange how sleepy I feel because I overslept. I just didn't wake up properly.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 AM   #51  

Melanie, exactly how are you getting those dancing "creatures" to appear for you? I've wanted to ask for a long time. They are so cute! I know there are features on this web site I have not even begun to explore.
Natalie, maybe you should share you intent to lose weight with some close friends or family? It might be helpful to you if people understand, that way they can help you and applaud your efforts. Something to think about.
I am finding that having my daughter to share this with is helping me as well. I don't feel competitive at all, it's not that. It's that there are times when I am "low" and want to blow it and I see her trying so hard to stay on track, it makes me feel a bit more motivated.
I was on track yesterday and saw the scale go UP a pound this morning. I hate those fluctuations and, I am, as I have mentioned in the past, addicted to weighing myself several times a day. I can't help myself. I am going to cut and (in proper point sized pieces) and freeze the rest of that blueberry coffee cake this morning. It's supposed to be 5 points, but maybe I overindulged by having it two days in a row? I planned for it and it was my only breakfast for two days. I have been usually having a 3 point breakfast, though. I have tried to exercise and do everything I should be doing otherwise, but who knows? I did have ham for dinner on Tuesday night, so this small gain could be sodium? I save higher sodium meals for the nights right after weigh in, and never, ever, have them the night before for sure! Little "tricks of the trade" I've learned over the year. So, maybe the one pound gain is from the ham?
Melanie and Fiona, great losses! I'm impressed, particularly when one of you had a wedding to go to, wow!
Well, for me, it's a day of "catch up" my house looks like a cyclone went through it and I have many things to do around here. I will work out and get down to business!
Have a great day, and a safe day everyone!
Linda

Last edited by derrydaughter; 08-06-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #52  

Yeah, you have a point Linda. The thing is, I don't want to tell anyone that I'm dieting, cos then I'd be very stressed cos I feel that everyone will have high expectations from me and ask me about it all the time, you know "how much you've lost?", "are you sure you're allowed to eat this?" and so on. I've decided to tell my mother only when she noticed a change in my weight. If she asks me if I'm dieting or comments that I've lost weight, I will tell her the truth. I just don't want the pressure others put on people on a diet, even if they do it meaning no harm.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:31 AM   #53  

Good Morning! Well, I survived last night’s scrapbooking get-together. We ended up having spaghetti and breadsticks. I didn’t go overboard with the bread and skipped dessert (had a little light ice cream at home).

Linda – the dancers are one of the Smilie options. In the lower left-hand corner is a box titled Posting Rules. There is the word Smilie in blue and underlined. Click on that and you will get a list of all the guys.

I understand the scale addiction. My most tempting times are the day before and day of WI. I check morning noon and night. But, unfortunately, my weight swings around more than my mood. At one WI, I found I had lost about a pound. While we were standing around talking, I decided that I would check again to see if it was lower. It said I hadn’t lost anything! I decided to keep the first one! So, don’t worry too much about one reading.

Natalie – I understand wanting to keep it to yourself right now. One reason I would do that in the past was that I would think that trying to lose weight meant admitting to everyone that there was something wrong with me. So, I would try to make it no big deal. And, since I was only accountable to me – I found some good excuses to eat whatever I wanted! Doing this on your own is super hard. We’ll be here whenever you need. Oh, and I’m real good at lectures too; ask if you ever need a stern talking to about a twinkie!

Since I have an optometrist appointment today, I’m leaving work 2 hours early. That makes the day go by much faster. And I get my weekend earlier too. I still go to the doc in my hometown 30 miles away. They have a Super Wal-Mart, so I am going to do my grocery shopping for the week and look for the new WW cakes and muffins I have read about. Have any of you tried them?

I must go work now. wish me luck
Old 08-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald

Natalie – I understand wanting to keep it to yourself right now. One reason I would do that in the past was that I would think that trying to lose weight meant admitting to everyone that there was something wrong with me. So, I would try to make it no big deal. And, since I was only accountable to me – I found some good excuses to eat whatever I wanted! Doing this on your own is super hard. We’ll be here whenever you need. Oh, and I’m real good at lectures too; ask if you ever need a stern talking to about a twinkie!

Yeah, that too. I dread admitting to others that I'm dieting cos it'd be like admitting to them that I'm fat. I know it probably sounds a bit silly, but I have this problem with friends, not so much with my family. I'm trying to do it on my own, so that's why I love this forum!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #55  

Hi there gang,
Seeing a few familiar names so guessing this is the place to be postin again!!

Someone mentioned a new WW program....anyone want to fill me in on that?? I hadn't heard anything about it....and frankly don't know if I'm up for a change again.....kinda missing things about the last change. I miss banking pts....how sad is that with all the flex pts....lol.

Been sticking to my exercise goal, and feeling really good about things...food, exercise, water....life!! Can hardly wait for each weekly weigh in and meeting!!! And despite loving Fall....I will be sad to see the sunshine season coming to an end before we know it. My newest reward has been laying out in my pool in the afternoons.....I know, I know....skin cancer.....but then again....being fat/ skin cancer/ getting hit by a truck.....it all could happen, but might as well doing what makes you feel good, and it's the best relaxation technique I love right now....plus...not eating when I'm out in the pool....although I keep my water bottle with me.
Going away for the weekend....will check back in here on Monday!!
Michelle
Old 08-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #56  

Michelle, Good to hear from you and that you are doing so well. I think you stopped posting for a while, right about the time I started my addiction. But, I remember your screen name. I loved it.

I read a post on the new program that is under WW at home. Check there for a description. But, the good news is that you won't HAVE to change. People will now have the choice of FP or the new program (completely different).

Hope you have a good weekend.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #57  

Well, the weekend is almost here again, and that means 2 more days of time at home, and more food around the place. Hopefully I can contain myself, and stop myself from going too mad. Not done too bad today. I did have some mini 'cheddars' with my lunch, and for once, the 3.5 points didn't seem too much to spend on half a dozen little snacks! I NEEDED those today, and yes, I enjoyed them very much. Just have to be careful for the rest of the day!
Hi Natalie. I've always hated anyone knowing my weight, but not so bothered about who knows I'm trying to lose it. My sister is the opposite though. I've mentioned before how much she has lost, about 70 or so pounds, but for a long time, I was the only person that she told. Again, she doesn't want anyone to make her feel a failure if it doesn't work out - again. Or to say, 'I told you so'. Once she had lost a substantial amount, there was no getting away from the fact, and everyone knew. She's only 5ft1 like me, so every pounds shows. Everyone now is so proud of her achievement, but I know if she had only lost a bit, and then gained it all again, there are certain people that would be only too happy to say things like 'I told you diets don't work' and similiar. Why don't you just tell your mum now a little bit of what you would like to achieve, just to have one person to keep you on the straight and narrow, apart from us of course, but drop in to the conversation that you have been concerned how others might react, and could she please keep it to herself. If anyone will understand, it should be your mum. It can be more awkward with friends, so maybe just wait until the first one mentions that you are looking good today, or what is different about you, or even the magical 'have you lost weight?'. Good luck.
Fat girl, I don't think we've met before but nice to get together, and thanks for coming in on our little group. We'll all get stuck in together and shift those excess pounds.
Melanie, hi, how did your optometrist visit go? Mine was only ok. Of course I do work with mine, and it's just not the same! Did you get the new cakes or muffins, I wonder if they are the same ones as here. I find they are quite nice, most of them, a bit pricey, and not always worth the points, unless I'm in a desperate cake mood, but better than and equivelent of double the points. I like the WW 'strawberry moussecake'. If you don't have those, a bit like cheese cake, but not. nice though.
Oh, I don't think I'll blow away when my bit of bravado kicks in, it could be a Very long time before that happens. People keep saying to me, 'you don't want to lose much more do you, you can lose too much you know'!!! What do they know. If someone has never been overweight, how can they possibly know how much we want to lose, we aren't stupid, and are pretty unlikely to overdo it! We obviously like our food too much for that. But lets just make them jeolous when we look better than them eh?!!
Linda hi, thanks. Good to know we are all real people out there. I'm a scale watcher too. I think we must all be. Again, I'm a morning, noon and night kinda gal, especially around WI. And why must our weight fluctuate so much anyway?
anyway, gotto go, back tomorrow hopefully, see ya later.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:08 AM   #58  

Michelle, Michelle!!!!! So good to find you back with us again!!!! I missed you girl!
Sounds like you are well and making progress!!! I heard about the "new" program as well and that is will be given to us all very soon, no official date was given. All I know is that this new program will be different and people will be given a choice of which one to follow, meaning the current type or the new one. Supposedly this new program (might be really good for you as you don't like journalling) is a no journalling type of thing, I think. I might try it WHEN I get to maintenance (which I most certainly will acheive!). So good to have you back. Have a great weekend! I just HAVE to journal to be true to myself and really key into what I am eating, if I stop journally, I "lose it" and am off program.
Melanie, I am a bit short on time this morning as it's nice and cool out and I want to get out and do some yard work for a change - and I can earn points by doing it, a big plus! But, I will go and look at the place you mentioned so I can have those cute little animated "guys" of my own. I like Chachee's (who sadly isn't posting here anymore) moo cows that she puts one up for every 5 pounds she's lost, and she's got tons of them up there now! She's doing well!
The scrapbooking craze is something I have not quite been able to "understand" in terms of wondering how many scrapbooks can a person own, or make. Yet, there was a huge convention of scrapbooking vendors and people in NH that was on the news not long ago and they said something like 5,000 people attended. There is a new shop that has opened in town totally dedicated to scrapbooking, can't believe there is enough business to keep them going, but obviously I am missing some point? Maybe you can enlighten me, Melanie, as to why I would want to make these?
I did make one scrap book for my parents 50th wedding anniversary long before it was a "fad" to make them. I sent out invitations to their party and asked that instead of a gift that people find an old photo or momento of my parents and write a note to them with memories in it. I gave each person that responded to this request a page. I even was sent a clipping of my mom and dad's original engagement announcement that was in the the paper in 1945, sent from my aunt. People sent amazing photos of them in their dating years at beaches, at ski logdes, roller skating as a "couple" (they met when he was her roller skating instructor, kind of cute!) places I never dreamed my parents would have gone before being married and having my sister and I - What, they had a LIFE before me???? Interesting concept! My own kids often find it amazing when my husband and I talk of life before THEM as well! Hard to imagine us younger and more active and vibrant, particularly when one didn't have kids to spend all one's money on, ahem!
Natalie, when you are ready, I think you need to "come clean" with people. You might find they can totally relate to you. Maybe if you pick one person that you know needs to lose weight too and share with them, at first, they might even join in with you. But sharing with a person who is also overweight could help them as well? But, don't be surprised if this person might be in "denial" of their own weight problem, happily eating their way through french fries (crisps to the UK) and gaining one pound after another. We all face facts and hit "rock bottom" at different times.
I think having "partners", as we all are as well, (thank goodness for you guys!!!!) can be really helpful. Let's face it, America is truly "Fatland", in fact I have a book out of the library that is about this. A friend to share you successes and failures with is important. If you can only do this with us, for now, though, that is totally ok, whatever works for you! We're so glad you are with us.
Food is so abundant in our society and we are all "bred" to eat as part of our entertainment vs. eating to live. I had a learning experience recently that I would like to share that proves this point! Seems I can't go to the movies without having the usual buttered popcorn. I was really upset when we went to see Spiderman II and we ended up late for the movie, arriving just in time to get our seats before the movie began. I stood for a few seconds in a very long concession line as I NEEDED my popcorn, which is probably about 9 points. I just HAD to have it and in my head it was justified "cheating" as I was at a movie and that is what I just DO when I go, period. My husband kept looking at me like "what are you doing, you'd miss the movie we paid big bucks to see just for the popcorn?" and I finally, truly angry, abandonded my place in line. I found that I actually enjoyed that movie, but the smell of everyone elses popcorn drove me crazy, I felt I was deprived the entire time. Food had become part of the entire entertainment experience for me and it wasn't complete without it. I can watch a movie at home without this "treat" though, pretty odd.
So, after the movie, we went out to dinner and I had a fairly low point choice. I came home, satisfied with myself and wondered about my "feelings" regarding this "necessary" food that seemed to be so much a part of this experience.
Interestingly enough, I didn't modify my behaviour as I saw Shrek II a few weeks later and still had the popcorn, but had a diet coke at least with it. I used my flex points, wrote it in my journal and enjoyed every mouthful, to be honest.
So, my point is that in America (and in the UK probably as we have a few people from here posting) are we so conditioned by society to think of food differently vs. just needing it to love and being healthy. We (me especially) have been bred to be gluttons! How many holidays can you think of that you relate specific foods to? Christmas, Hannakuh? (sp?), Easter, Passover, Kwanza, and especially in the US, Thanksgiving - a day I treasure but it's all about the food to our society!
Dawny, I haven't seen those ww cakes yet, I am dying to try them! I'm a real cake lover and it's something I crave! I did try making what is called a "soda cake" that uses diet soda with a boxed cake mix and it just wasn't the same. I want frosting and ice cream on top - way, way bad girl stuff! So, for now, I am best abstaining - but the ww ones sound like it might be good for someone like me!
People who warn you "don't lose too much more weight" amaze me as it was said to me in the past (no yet this time, but this is the LAST time for me to go through this, I hope!). If one goes to ww, though, they have the safe weight ranges based on height and their staff work with doctors and many doctors work for them. They consult with insurance professionals on "death rates" (sad to think of that part, but let's face it being overweight is just NOT healthy) and the ranges they set for us are truly what is best. If someone says something like that to you again, please do tell them the proper range for your weight, age, etc. is established by doctors, etc. It's true! The top of my range is 136, I want to get to that at least! I am now hovering at about 151ish and it's so tough to break that 150 pound barrier for me. When I do get down into the the 140s, there was be such a loud "ya-hoo" that the UK people will probably hear it all the way across "the pond"!
The scale watcher within me needs a name, a name that represents someone who can't stop compusively watching and counting things. I am trying to think of an alter ego name (maybe from a movie) of a character who is like this and can't help themselves. This is truly me, hopping on and off that silly piece of equipment several times a day. I made joking remarks that it is my personal "step areobics" program in the past, I do it so often! It was mortified at the end of the day, yesterday, when I was 155, but the day started, in my lightweight nightgown as 150. The 155 was fully dressed after eating all the meals of the day. I am nuts! Why do I put myself through this? I've tried putting the scale in the closet, and find myself sneaking over to the door and taking it out to weigh myself. I can't bring myself to get rid of the scale, either, no way.
Maybe it's just something I need to accept and maybe, one day, when I reach the top of my range, I'll settle down a bit!
Oh well, no one said I was perfect!
Linda in NH where the sun shines and it's beutiful this moring!
Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 AM   #59  

Linda, you sound like Jack Nicholson from As good as it gets!!
My scales are certainly not working well, I weighed myself this morning, the last weigh-in before my holidays, and I've actually lost 4 lbs!! This can't be true, can it? I mean, is it possible with a few cheat days, to actually lose 4 pounds?? I don't mean the occasional dessert or snack, I had entire days way over my points. Since the day my friend's brother died I haven't weighed myself (that's about 2 weeks) and some days were within points, others were totally over. Please, tell me the truth, can the scales possibly be right? Could I have lost 4 lbs?? I highly doubt it...

Last edited by sugar_cane; 08-08-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:41 AM   #60  

Hi people, I've just got up and the sun is shining, it's gonna be a lovely day!
I got on my scales this morning too. For some reason, they showed me to be under the magical 140 mark! I can barely take the smile off my face. Now I know that by now, about 1.5 hours later it could be showing a good couple of pounds different, but who cares. By wedsnesdays WI, I know that it will be nowhere near that, as the meeting scales are usually 3 pounds different to mine, but I know that in the back of my mind, at least the figure now seems in reach.
Natalie, as regards your scale victory, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't have lost 4 pounds, even with a good few 'bad' days, I sometimes find that the good days definitely ofset the bad ones, and occasionally the bad days seem to boost the metabolism a bit, pushing a few more pounds off than expected. That probably makes no sense whatsoever, it is quite early here! I know what I mean! Accept the 4 pounds with pride, and enjoy your vacation as much as you can. Relax, get your head together and you will full of life again when you return.
Linda and Melanie, hope you are both having a fab weekend. Hope you are having good weather to spend with your families, and make the most of good 'quality' time.
I need a bit of quality time at the moment. A few arguments with hubby last couple of days. Hopefully nothing I can't handle, but making me feel a bit down in the dumps. Trying to stop myself resorting to comfort eating, but with the fine weather, maybe we will get out a bit, and take our minds off our troubles. Went for a lovely long walk last night. It was a nice warm evening, so we stopped off at a little pub nearby, it's hundreds of years old, and very nice, we had a little drink but AJ was falling asleep so we had to cut it short. Nice for a while though
Anyway, I'll go for now, back later,
Closed Thread