Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #16  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I had a coworker a few years ago who would bring me plates of food from home the day after I told her I was going on a diet. I would come in to work, tell her that I was serious this time and the next day (without fail) she would come to work with fried chicken, potato salad and macaroni and cheese. And everytime I would lick the plate clean. Granted she's a pure b*tch but she wasn't force feeding me. Now when I see her and she's trying to get me to go off my diet, I just smile and shake my head.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #17  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplekitten7 View Post
My boss sounds like the identical twin to yours! He's constantly "on a diet" but then 5 minutes later he's munching on cakes/biscuits/crisps/anything.

We have one shared office between the four of us, and my desk is central so guess where all the sugar snacks get dumped! I am not very confrontational so I can't bring myself to say anything to him, although I probably should!
In this case, I would say something--I'd keep it light-hearted but I would say something--no sweet/junk snacks on my desk--let's put those in the breakroom. That'd be over the top for me, since they'd be staring me in the face.

I feel for the OP, though--there's food at my office all of the time. (I even bring it in myself from time to time, since I don't want leftover party treats at my house!) For pushers, you could just say "no, thank you"--over and over again, even if it doesn't quite make sense: "Are you sure you don't want some?" "No thank you" "Why aren't you having any?" "No thank you" "Try one bite" "No thank you" (and that's when you suddenly have to go the bathroom, make a work phonecall, or respond to an urgent email)

Good look to all of us faced with treat temptations!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #18  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di1586 View Post
i almost feel likes shes trying to see my fail with my weight loss to make sure shes not the only bigger person in work
joefla70 - My thoughts of her malice stemmed from that.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
joefla70 - My thoughts of her malice stemmed from that.
I can assure you this is not malice this is fact! She has admitted that she likes the fact she isn't the only bigger person that works in my unit and tries to joke about BOTH our weight!

She is fully aware that im on this diet and has bought cakes muffins etc even more since i have. I have tried other diets and failed so i feel because i have started WW and im sticking to it and feel like im doing well this is why i feel more cakes etc are appearing at work and constantly asked why im not wanting to eat them.

I can assure you this is not a comment to be nasty in anyway to my boss. I posted this to receive advice in a way in which i can either 1 find it easier to avoid the cakes....
Di1586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #20  

I'd just keep up the "no thanks" with a smile. Even if its 22x in a row. Or say nothing but shake your head with a smile. Since its your boss I get that you have to be/want to be nice about it but it irks me to no end when people act this way. Don't let her de-rail you, you have worked too hard.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #21  

Height: 5'4"

I think, as others have said, you will need to just find ways to navigate a world where treats are abundant and unavoidable. Have alternatives handy at all times ("Pack a snack" as WW would say).

Ask yourself what you would get out of eating something. Is it something you really want or is it that same gross grocery store cake with the "buttercream" frosting that always tastes the same? If you decide you actually do want to eat a treat, do it and track it and move on. Nothing wrong with that.

My office is pretty good, we don't have treats around. But during our monthly department meetings there are often cookies. At the last one, our boss went around and put a plate down in front of each person to encourage us to go fill it up. Mine just sat there in front of me. I hated to waste the plate but I had no say in it, and I threw it away after the meeting. (I figured it would be kinda gross to put back a plate that was handled so much ). Several others did the same thing.

If you ever have a chance, maybe bring in a fruit tray to work. That would be a good way to model what you would like to see more often.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #22  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di1586 View Post
I can assure you this is not malice this is fact! She has admitted that she likes the fact she isn't the only bigger person that works in my unit and tries to joke about BOTH our weight!

She is fully aware that im on this diet and has bought cakes muffins etc even more since i have. I have tried other diets and failed so i feel because i have started WW and im sticking to it and feel like im doing well this is why i feel more cakes etc are appearing at work and constantly asked why im not wanting to eat them.

I can assure you this is not a comment to be nasty in anyway to my boss. I posted this to receive advice in a way in which i can either 1 find it easier to avoid the cakes....
Di - that was my point! Your boss might just not care that you are losing weight, so may not be supportive. Your boss might pressure you to eat what he/she brings to feel better about him/herself. The one thing I've learned in this journey is not everyone wants me to succeed - so it's ultimately up to you the be your own cheerleader and remind yourself of the lifestyle change you're making.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

My WW leader once told us a trick she used was to tell people she HAD tried the X in the break room and it was good. Then people would get off her back about it and she hadn't really used any points!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #24  

My head boss brings us in fruit now... which is great its the table i always go for now. Still having comments being said... but as you guys say she will soon see when the weight starts coming off and im looking/feeling better for it.

Thanks Everyone
Di1586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #25  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

My boss and coworkers are always bringing in pastries, doughnuts, cookies, and desserts. Most of the time I avoid them as some of it is usually chocolate, which I'm allergic to. But other times...sighs.

So what I've been doing when I've had to give a presentation or a training is bring in some fruits and other healthy stuff for snacks instead. You would not BELIEVE how fast these get inhaled! Usually, most folks will bring in candy, and you'll still have a bunch left, but when I brought in fruits and stuff, it was completely gone!

So there is a desire among everyone to eat healthy, but until everyone gets on board with that, you're pretty much on your own. Not easy, but it is doable.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm not doing WW, but the topic heading caught my attention. Except in my case, I'm one of the bosses, and the person who is always bringing in the junk is our receptionist. Since I'm doing MRC, I just say "that's not on my list", and go on. Problem is, she KNOWS whatever isn't on my list, I've been doing this for 10 months now. At least it goes in the kitchen, and I've learned to ignore that part of the kitchen, and just head to the fridge where my stuff is.

It's hard, but you'll gain respect by simply stating that it isn't in your plan, and being consistent.
MarleneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Maybe some bosses or receptionists, etc. are doing it in a mean way, but I have something to say....
I LOVE to bake and I LOVE to feed people. I bring treats to my FFs monthly (and have never heard complaints...) and it's never to try to get them to go off diets, or to gain weight or to be fatter than me. I am just trying to be nice and give some guys treats that they don't get at home. I make the same things for my husband. If they don't want to eat them, they don't have to, I'm not forcing them. I can't bake fruit.
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

When it comes to sugary treats, I've found that a little white lie works. "No thank you, sugar makes me ill." Well, it does...if I eat too much of it. I can have it in moderation but, well, why explain? I've found that just saying that it makes me ill stops people cold from offering me cakes and candy and other sweet treats.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2008 View Post
Maybe some bosses or receptionists, etc. are doing it in a mean way, but I have something to say....
I LOVE to bake and I LOVE to feed people. I bring treats to my FFs monthly (and have never heard complaints...) and it's never to try to get them to go off diets, or to gain weight or to be fatter than me. I am just trying to be nice and give some guys treats that they don't get at home. I make the same things for my husband. If they don't want to eat them, they don't have to, I'm not forcing them. I can't bake fruit.
There is a difference between bringing in something that is a treat occasionally and leaving it where such things are left and the individual bringing whatever directly to one's office or desk and asking multiple times "would you like to try such&such?", "are you sure you don't?", and then pouting to others when you insist you really don't want it. The second is what happens in my office, and sounds like the OP's as well. I wouldn't (and don't) have a problem with someone bringing something in that I choose to not eat, but what they are doing is disrespectful of our choices.
MarleneV is offline   Reply With Quote