Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Only 24 Work Out Days 'til Christmas!

Time flies!

Yeesh, it was hard to get going this morning after 5 days off work! I did all my workouts, but food was...ummmm....YUM! And wearing heels all day was a killer.

KAW- good to see you! I go to an actual CrossFit (www.crossfitinspire.com) rather than doing the workouts myself from a web site. I really don't think I'd push myself to that level of intensity on my own, and I'm pretty nuts. I really enjoy the camaraderie although in the past I've loathed group exercise classes, whether doing or teaching.

Pat- Those are excellent goals for December, I shall make them mine as well.

Birch- Glad you are healing

Lydia- Have you over-studied yet? Four days to go?

Despite an abysmal day at work, I fought off the urge to come home and eat everything in the house after my CF workout. It really was a battle, but I won

Happy December

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #2  
No description available.

YEsterday was my first POP day in a long time. I went to a HIIT camp at the gym and it kicked my rear. Lemme put it this way, the easy part was pushing the sled. I felt like I was hit by a truck this morning!

This month will truly be a landmine for clean eats, but I'm digging my heels in right now. It's a brand new month!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning.

So, my gym is adding - on a trial basis - a zumba class! But a 9:30 in the morning what are they thinking??? How is a working person supposed to get to that??? I'm going to let them have it tonight when I go. (Got the news in an email) And speaking of zumba - where is Alena, hmmmmm????

Well, last night wasn't a good start to December's goals.... I had a good OP day, but when I got home all I wanted was to fall face first into a big bowl of mac 'n cheese. I didn't, but I did graze through the kitchen eating cheese and crackers and then some PB toast when DH got home at 8ish (while he ate a reasonably healthy dinner). TOday however is December 1, and I shall begin as I mean to go on.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: OMG. Yes. I think I am at the point of information saturation. It's a lot of memorization. I'm so grateful it is almost over. I am trying to give myself permission to relax at this point but I'm still staying home in the mornings to review instead of hitting the gym. I am so freakin' excited for the upcoming Monday.

Pat: Nice job avoiding the mac and cheese. Oh I love that stuff too. Best not to even bring it in the house.

I'm with you, as soon as this weekend is over, It's chicken and broccoli till December 24th baby! I did okay up until this weekend. The closer I get to the actual exam the more stressed I feel and I give myself permission to let a few things slip that I otherwise know I would not do. I'm not exactly sitting here with a bag of Doritos every night but I've dug into the Halloween stash a couple of times. I'm looking a little soft too. Amazing what four weeks can do. Its more psychological but I also feel it in my gait, so I know there is a little loss of strength/flexibility as well.

But the good new is...I can put together a decent program for myself for the upcoming year. Overall, the rest is good. My tendons and ligaments have been given a nice rest, I've fatten myself up just a little, and mentally, I'm recharged. Its all systems go.

Midwife: THE SLED WAS THE EASIEST. I'm so sorry...I met a sled last summer and thought I was going to die. The trick they say is NOT to STOP. Fine, until the trainer makes you laugh. On purpose. So you stop and start and stop and start. ~sigh~ Hope your feeling better soon.

Off to pick up DS from the library.

Enjoy the evening everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #5  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hi all,

My day began with a meeting (3 hours, on the budget), had a meeting in the middle (not on the budget, thankfully), and ended with a meeting (2 hours, on the budget). Not exactly conducive to real work -- making budget decisions is NOT my real job, thankfully -- but because my day was slaughtered anyway, I decided to go to the gym between Meeting 2 and Meeting 3.

I don't typically work out at this time of the day, and I remembered why: too many people, all of whom (except me) were undergraduate-aged men. So, rather than attempting a CF-style workout, which tends to require equipment hogging, I did one of my standard chest workouts from pre-CF days.

Was pleased to bench 5@145 x 3. It's not my PR, but close to it. I followed up with 25# weighted dips, DB incline press, French press, and feet-elevated pushups. Wisdom o' the day: don't do elevated pushups at the end of a heavy chest day, unless you want to attend Meeting 3 with a skinned nose!

Tonight is the last night that my FIL is in town, so we're going out to eat. He chose a local institution known for its burgers and fries. I looked at the menu on line, and saw exactly 0 items on plan. Not that I'm in the mood for more fowl, but even the chicken entrees are deep fried. Pat's mac n' cheese is starting to look pretty high on the health-o-meter!

be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Ugh, exercise?

My morning sickness came back this week so I haven't lifted since the 26th I've still been walking 1 hour per day with my puppy but I'm just running on empty.

Great workouts ladies....
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

Kaw: Your bench press still amazes me.

Sacha: I so remember morning sickness. I think DH and I ate out every night for the first four months of both pregnancies. Well, he ate, I slept in the corner. If it wasn't morning sickness it was fatigue. That was the most difficult part for me. It does get better....before it gets worse.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #8  
Mel

Lydia, you are a And for you, boys NEVER grow up!! At least not by 19 or 20. I'm sure you know the material backwards and forwards. Take some time to do yoga and de-stress.

Sacha- Sorry to hear you feel so yuck. I mostly escaped morning sickness, but spent the first 3-4 months of each pregnancy in a near coma, I was so tired. Haha, ditto for the year following each!

kaw- That's why I don't do CF style workouts much in a regular gym. I do remember your displeasure with the undergraduate crowd. I used to have the same problem during school breaks at my gym. OTOH, occasionally my CF is filled with teenage girls from one of the high school lacrosse and field hockey teams (kudos to their coach!) when they can't make their own time. 15-17 yr old girls are just as annoying.

Midwife- How are you feeling today? I actually miss the sled!

I have a VERY long day including a "mandatory" holiday work get together. I have no idea how I'm going to get all my work done as it is. I may go, leave early for the late CF, then go back to work. UGH.

Hang in there!

Mel
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

Mel: Great idea. I'll make time to do that this evening once the boys are in bed. I'm done anyway. I'm sitting here with my book reviewing "special populations" and then that's it. I'm am officially declaring myself done with the book. Friday morning my girlfriends are gathering for java. My first inclination was to decline but I just can't sit here in this kitchen studying any more.

So. My cat is SICK. Like with a cough, sneeze, and runny nose. I have never had a cat with a cold before. Poor puddy. I've been her human mommy for one month and have taken her in to the vet five times already. All I have to say now is "Penny" and I can almost her the receptionist giggle over the phone. She has a prescription for Zmax on the way. Just looking at her I know it can't get into her soon enough. She's looking more like zombie cat than the zippy little thing from two weeks ago.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunny weather. Not. Making great use of my full spectrum light today. Hmm. maybe I'll go string some Christmas lights outdoors before the rain hits.

Enjoy the day everyone!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Pat's mac n' cheese is starting to look pretty high on the health-o-meter!
Kim

Gotta run, my day sounds like Kim's yesterday: Meeting 1 - with church pastor on her next year's contract; Meeting 2 - interview last person for my open position; Meeting 3 - with City Manager (my boss) on some museum stuff and to tell him formally that I am - really - retiring May 1.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Lydia: Good luck with the cat. One of ours is cold-sick, too, and it's both sad and disgusting. Cats use their tongues as kleenexes. Eww.

We haven't had much luck with the prescription meds, but maybe that's because it's so hard to get the cat to eat it. I don't remember the name, but it's some goop that we're supposed to put in his food and, in theory, he won't notice. Ha. Hope your cat -- or her meds -- are more accommodating.

Today's CF workout calls for one-armed pullups, which aren't really one-armed because your "free" hand is grasping the other wrist. I've never tried these, but I suspect they will be even harder on my poor "tennis" elbow than regular pullups.

I'll give it a shot but, dang it all, I'm also giving myself permission to do something else if it hurts-in-a-bad-way. In some circles this goes without saying, but the CFers who post on the main site's board seem to be somewhat, er, cult-ish in their obeisance to the WOD as its written. (Maybe "regimented" is a better word, given the military/paramilitary origins of CF!)

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #12  
Mel

So how did the ONE ARMED PULL UPS go???

Us "almost normal" folk modify when it is a bad hurt. I don't do hanging knees to elbows because I have no interest in rotator cuff surgery and another few reps of KTE's would have me there. Modification versus real injury is highly encouraged!

Mel
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Kaw - when I'm in a crossfit mood I modify if things hurt, too. Though I'm not always quick enough to realize it hurts before I've done minor damage...

Today was a "push" day on my three day split. I dis my first ever standing barbell shoulder press and my left elbow is seriously sore. I was planning some yoga before bed, might have to be just the hip opener piece - probably should so too much on the elbow and wrist right now...

Exercises:
bench press - 10x45lb, 2x6x65lb
standing shoulder press - 6,7,6 x45lb
parrallette dips - 10,8,8
ab crunches - 3x10x10lb
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #14  

Hi all,

Shannon - OMG one arm pull-up???? I'm still working on 2 armed assisted!!! And my left elbow has been acting up for the past couple of weeks..better be carefull.

Lydia - have you sat the test yet ? I'm sending good vibes over the pond.

Birch, Pat, Mel

I've decided to refor ulate my challenge to 7 workouts per week. I'm doing a new lifting program I found on stumptuous, callig for higher weights and less reps. NO way can I last an hour. Plus, I have a hard time to carve out en entire hour as 1 chunk of time per day,,,so 7 wo per week, min imum duration 30 minutes. That I will be able to manage consistently.

For startes, I lifted today, and I hope to pick up a bench & some stuff as a present for DS this morning. I'm so excited! I keep telling myself the deal will probabely fall through but OTOH it would be really cool to get his this as a present. (gently used of course, but with a weight set & bench this probabely id no probelm)

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #15  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Second attempt.

Rabbit - bench & weights is a great idea! Do you think he'll share??

to all. Only 21 days left now. No formal w/o for me as I've gone mobile (great expression I heard a taxi despatcher use once). On train to London at the moment, to be followed by a lot of schlepping about. It all counts.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote