Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #1  

Angry Boss @ Work...

My boss at work is nightmare for bring in cakes/muffins etc but she just doesnt stop!

Shes larger than myself but the rest of the folk at work are thin and i almost feel likes shes trying to see my fail with my weight loss to make sure shes not the only bigger person in work She bought our workplace a birthday cake for doing well that week it served 32 slices for 6 members of staff!!!! I refused to have any and i got a million questions ie why dont you want a piece of cakes blah blah blah. She has noticed ive changed my meals for lunch etc to fit in with my new WW diet yet still buys way to much rubbish. Today i have walked in to 2 packs of 6 chocolate chip muffins from costco.

As much as im tempted to have 1, i wont because i really want to make a go of my diet. Its soo hard! But how can i get her to understand this??
Di1586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #2  
Lorna

S/C/G: 217/Ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Sounds like she needs a crutch, someone to enable her and help her feel justified in continuing her eating habits...and she perhaps is also just being kind hearted. Though yes, whether consciously or consciously, she is putting you at risk of sabotaging your own plan. This is not war, but it is about self confidence and will power.

You may need to give her a wider berth for a while - do you have an office, another space to go? Bring some extra healthy zero snacks to work. Always have one to hand. Make sure you are filling up on nutritious healthy DPs...and eating all your daily points.

Use other distractions like going for a walk, going to brush your teeth etc. And continue to emulate the new you...you are changing...you are in charge of you - its up to her to catch up or find another snack buddy. Good luck!

Last edited by Lorna F; 05-09-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Lorna F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #3  
is stronger than this

S/C/G: 242/see ticker/142

Height: 5ft 6

I'm not on WW but I had to post - I feel your pain!
My boss sounds like the identical twin to yours! He's constantly "on a diet" but then 5 minutes later he's munching on cakes/biscuits/crisps/anything. We have one shared office between the four of us, and my desk is central so guess where all the sugar snacks get dumped! I am not very confrontational so I can't bring myself to say anything to him, although I probably should! I just make sure my desk is fully stocked with healthy snacks and when I feel a craving I politely put whatever it is back in the box and clear it away to the kitchen to remove it from my line of sight! Unfortunately, I don't always win that battle! I guess it comes down to remembering why you're saying no, and sticking to it! But good luck!
purplekitten7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #4  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I feel your pain and frustration! My work has food brought in by my boss, reps, and fellow co-workers. Plus, they bring in lunch such as Chinese, which smells up the whole place with it's yumminess!

Staying strong and making sure you have enough food of your own that is within your plan is key. One thing I have done is to pretend that I ate something and see what the points would have been. That has actually stopped me from eating the offending food item.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #5  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

I'm not on WW, but I have to post because I have days like this all the time at work. I don't think anyone there is intentionally trying to torture me, but there are always cupcakes, cookies, muffins, or other pasteries/baked goods there to torture me.

I finally had to out myself this week and explain to my staff that I'm trying to lose weight and I politely asked that they not ask me if I want fast food for lunch or repeatedly ask me if I'm sure I don't want whatever fattening treat that was brought in that day. I know it's not really any of their business, but I got tired of hiding in my office everyday and avoiding people. It's actually gotten better and I think they respect my decision...although I do have to deal with one person now who wants to give me advice she doesn't seem to follow herself - but I suppose that's the trade off.

Good for you for saying no! If you're like me and can't stop with just one right now, then it's probably best to pass on the sweets for the time being. Hopefully, someday this will all be a non-issue.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

But remember that throughout your life, you will always be surrounded by different temptations, and it is not up to those to curtail their activities to suit each of us, as much as it is our job to handle what we choose to eat. Is it hard? Absolutely. But perhaps there's nothing underlying in it and folks just like it and she feels like she's doing something nice for those who do enjoy it. If they never get eaten, she'll stop spending the money.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Lord...I get that. I actually BAKE cakes for people. Here I am dieting and I have people coming up to me for this flavor or that flavor and I have to either hope that it turns out right or...actually taste test it. My solution was mini cupcakes for my sample tastes, and only one bite.

But my problem has never been store bought cakes...I can taste the difference between oil, butter, and shortening, and water vs milk vs buttermilk in cakes and am a snob when it comes to how various store baker's make their cakes compared to how I make mine...so turning everyone else's down is usually easy for me. I simply don't like their's.

I know for me, the easiest thing way to ignore the various goodies laying about around me as I baked was to keep gum in my mouth. Or go brush my teeth. Something about having a freshly cleaned mouth and putting something in it disgusted me enough that I no longer wanted the junk. Just a thought.

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #8  

I would use her temptations as motivation. I'm so stubborn that someone trying to sabotage me is the best challenge! I wouldn't give in just to prove it to myself that she and her treats are of no interest.

You can do this! Those treats aren't worth the points!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #9  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I've had to learn that just because I'm making a lifestyle change does not mean everyone else is. I cannot expect other people to change their lives and what they enjoy for me. We are creatures of habit and routine. People easily freak out when change happens. Usually, most get with the program and leave you alone when you don't budge. Let your haters fuel you.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #10  
Lorna

S/C/G: 217/Ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Excellent point!
Lorna F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #11  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMuchFattitude View Post
I've had to learn that just because I'm making a lifestyle change does not mean everyone else is. I cannot expect other people to change their lives and what they enjoy for me. We are creatures of habit and routine. People easily freak out when change happens. Usually, most get with the program and leave you alone when you don't budge. Let your haters fuel you.
I agree to an extent. But two things about this change things for me a little.

1. Its one thing to bring in these types of food for the other employees, but if her boss knows that that OP is trying to avoid those types of foods, then its kinda insensitive to keep asking her why she is not eating them. (Of course, if the boss doesn't know that OP is trying to avoid them ... different story).

2. This is her boss, not just another employee. I'm not saying that OP's boss is obligated to buy anything at all, or anything in particular, but it does seem kinda odd to only bring in food that you know that only certain people can eat. It would be nice if her boss was supportive. My bosses are VERY supportive of my weight loss. If they ever do an office party where there is going to be food served, they usually don't just buy a bunch of high calorie food for everyone. Typically they'll ask each employee what they'd like off a particular menu. Then, if they have a dessert, they'll usually have fruit too.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #12  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Exactly...when I started this journey I was convinced that everyone around me was a saboteur. Why would you bring in cookies and cupcakes and treats when I'm trying to lose weight? Now I don't worry about what anyone else is doing. You can bring in all the sweets you want because I'm NOT eating them. My weight loss is my responsibility. I don't want to be responsible for other people's choices so I can't expect them to be responsible for mine.

Also...once people see that you're losing (and it took me 40-50 pounds before anyone really noticed) they WILL leave you alone because they'll see that you're dedicated and committed.

Last edited by ChickieBoom; 05-09-2013 at 10:42 AM.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #13  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
I agree to an extent. But two things about this change things for me a little.

1. Its one thing to bring in these types of food for the other employees, but if her boss knows that that OP is trying to avoid those types of foods, then its kinda insensitive to keep asking her why she is not eating them. (Of course, if the boss doesn't know that OP is trying to avoid them ... different story).

2. This is her boss, not just another employee. I'm not saying that OP's boss is obligated to buy anything at all, or anything in particular, but it does seem kinda odd to only bring in food that you know that only certain people can eat. It would be nice if her boss was supportive. My bosses are VERY supportive of my weight loss. If they ever do an office party where there is going to be food served, they usually don't just buy a bunch of high calorie food for everyone. Typically they'll ask each employee what they'd like off a particular menu. Then, if they have a dessert, they'll usually have fruit too.
If her boss has brought in X for weeks, months, years - it's habit to bring in X. It may not be malicious, but just not thinking....

BUT! Not everyone is a thoughtful person. A lot of people are very insensitive. OP says her boss is overweight, too. Perhaps her boss is just a d*ck that is a hater and has his/her own weight issues.

Which is why I say:
Quote:
Sometimes you just gotta be your biggest fan.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #14  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah zoesmom! Gum! Thank goodness for Extra Dessert Delights. I'm completely obsessed with their gum. I'm chewing the Lemon Square flavor now but they've got a new Raspberry Vanilla Cupcake that's not bad either. I literally go crazy when I see a new flavor when I'm on line at Target or the grocery store. I haven't seen their Key Lime Pie flavor in awhile but that was a good one too.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #15  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
If her boss has brought in X for weeks, months, years - it's habit to bring in X. It may not be malicious, but just not thinking....

BUT! Not everyone is a thoughtful person. A lot of people are very insensitive. OP says her boss is overweight, too. Perhaps her boss is just a d*ck that is a hater and has his/her own weight issues.

Which is why I say:

Sometimes you just gotta be your biggest fan.
Again, I agree. I would seriously doubt it was malicious at all. And if she has brought in food for people for a long time, she may be a very nice, thoughtful person. But again -- if someone tells you they don't eat that type of food, stop asking them repeatedly why they aren't having any. Some people are food pushers. Believe me, its hard enough to resist eating those treats when they are sitting in the kitchen of our office. But to have someone constantly badger you about why you are not partaking in those treats is a little over the top.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote