Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default In It For the Long Run #13

WELCOME TO "IN IT FOR THE LONG RUN".

We're a friendly group who have all started with more than 100 lbs to lose and are doing our best to attain healthy bodies through weight loss and exercise.

Most of us are using Weight Watchers to help us along this road but we welcome anyone who is trying to successfully change to a healthy lifestyle.

Got a lot to lose? Pull up your keyboard and join us for fun, support,advice and just plain talk. We love to "see" new faces so jump right in.

Old 03-01-2003, 04:57 PM   #2  

Hello gang!

Its been a sluggish Saturday. I didn't sleep well last night so I've been out of it most of the day. Plus its a overcast day and that makes me want to snooze.

I've been down here at the computer area trying my best to purge old paperwork. I'm on this Flylady kick of cleaning out the clutter. However, tell that to an accountant who is very anal about paperwork. Good grief, I just threw away receipts for maintenance on a truck we haven't owned in 8 years. No wonder I have so many file containers. Plus I'm on this "scan and shred" kick (been on it for awhile). Takes a lot of time but I WILL get rid of all this paper. In my own defense, at least I had it organized in files and file space.

I've had a few boohooing attacks over sending our bullie to a new home. I finally asked my DH if I'm crying over the dog or is it leftover emotion that I have been ignoring over losing my dad. Probably both because I been in such a "can't change it, don't be miserable, got to go on with life" mode that maybe I needed to cry.

Linda - Welcome back! We have certainly missed you. It looks like you have been on a tough journey with your weight. My DH is diabetic and it is a challenge to plan healthy meals. We used to think that it was about controlling sweets but I was surprised to learn that it was more about controlling the high-glycemic carbs. It gets complicated and sure takes the fun out of food. Take it one step at a time and here's good vibes for you! :

Amber - My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time of loss. It is so hard to lose a loved one no matter their age or health condition. Be there for them and don't fret about WW at this time. Do what you can but don't be down on yourself. Take care!

J-Ann and Cynthia - Hope you're doing well!

Better get to doing something physical. Take care all and have a good OP weekend!
Old 03-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #3  
Find a Way

Terri - Too bad about Sadie, and I know how you feel about the defection. When we left the Philippines we had to leave our dog behind. He generally tried to bite anyone who wasn't family, which was part of his function - it was good to have guard dogs there. Anyway, dad had to find him a home and put an ad in. This guy came, with treats, and Butch took to him like I've never seen a dog take to a stranger. I watched him drive off with my dog and couldn't believe it. I assume he didn't bite anyone in the family since we never heard back.

One zip that works is Omaha, NE, but I don't have that on me right now. You can probably do a zip search.

I do quite a bit of exercise. Morning walk/jog for about 60 minutes 6 times a week. Free weights 3 times a week. And the spin bike in the evenings - which I'm now up to 55 minutes - 6 nights a week. I'm staying with the morning walk but it's time to start mixing up the cardio in the evening so I'm going to check out the gym schedule. DH and I are going to start taking Aikido lessons once we get back from Singapore - and that will take up two nights a week. I know it's a lot but I have the time for it now, and I really need to get in shape for the upcoming hiking/backpacking season.

Linda - Hello from one of the newbies. Glad you are back on WW. I've always wondered about Xenical but the side affects have always sounded too scary for me. Hope nothing really embarrassing happened while you were taking it !

Amber - Sounds like you had enough to deal with that day, don't worry about the rest. Just get back OP when you are feeling a little more settled. Do the best you can for now. I'm sorry about your loss.

Today went pretty well. DH came along on my walk to check out my jogging form. I want to make sure I'm not doing some stupid movement that will cause injury later on. Tomorrow I get to finally try out my cross country skis. I'm heading to the Nordic Center in Frisco while DH skis in Breckenridge. I'll probably spend some time on snowshoes as well. Should be a darn good workout, but fun .
Old 03-02-2003, 03:44 PM   #4  
Slimwithin

Thanks for the welcome back.
No, nothing terribly embarrassing happened while I was on Xenical but I had the most horrible, constant, putrid-smelling GAS and I never knew if it was just gas or would it be something more (if you get my drift). It made me afraid to leave the house and a couple of times I had to miss my pool exercises because of my concerns.
Gosh, some of you sound so very ACTIVE! That's one of my biggest problems. I have back, knee and feet arthritis so I have to be very gentle with myself. Yesterday I worked in the garden doing some pruning and clean-up for a couple of hours and I'm really feeling it today. I know I should do more exercise though, if just to maintain some flexibility.
I got great news on my 60th birthday last week. #2 daughter, who lives in Scotland with her hubby of nearly three years, announced that they're to become parents for the first time in early November. It's been a long, dry spell between grandchildren for us. Our two grandsons from #1 daughter are soon to be 19 and 16. I hope I haven't forgotten how to cuddle a baby. LOL I hope I get a CHANCE to cuddle the baby. It's awful living so far apart.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #5  
Find a Way

Linda - how much longer will your daughter be in Scotland? At least it's a beautiful place to visit, from what I've seen on tv and pictures anyway. Also, curious if you live in BC, Canada, based on your username?

It was a beautiful day here in Colorado. DH and I went for a walk together. It was nice having that time without distractions of television or chores. Think I'd like to make it a weekly date!!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #6  

Happy Monday!

I need to schedule some more vacation time. I sure would love to stay home and putter around today.

This morning I got up and did the 1 mile WATP. I'm trying to increase my cardio exercise. I'll do either the spinner or airdyne tonight. I just don't lose weight unless I'm getting in at least 45 minutes a day of cardio. I've gone slow to get the muscles going again but I'm feeling good.

Linda - Congrats on being a grandma again! DH's second son had a little boy in December. So adorable. But they live in Ohio so it will be unlikely that we will get to see him more than once a year. Good for you for the gardening. That is good stretching exercise. Take it slow.

Cynthia - I'll never get DH to take a walk with me but I'm trying to get him to spend some time on the airdyne while I spin. That's great that your DH is so active too. It makes it a little easier with the DH can participate at some level.

I better get moving. The dogs want back inside and I can hear them beating on the glass door upstairs.

Have a great OP day!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 AM   #7  

Good morning!

Last night was when Sadie went to live at her new home. I tried not to but I cried. Already the house is calmer but it does feel like part of the family is missing. It will be better in a few days I know. DH and I talked last night that during this, we have forgotten what an absolute brat she was - the landscape area she tore up, the grill cover she shredded, the times she caused dogfights with the big dog. So I didn't get any exercise in last night. I was home later than I had planned and then was too upset by the time the people came and left. DH suggested mac and cheese with dinner and I didn't say no. I had a great food day going until I succumbed to the mac and cheese. It was late and I was hungry and in need of some comfort.

Cynthia - I didn't thank you for sharing your exercise routine. I am truly impressed. I copied it into my journal to remind me that I need to build my endurance up to more than 20 minutes a day. They used to say all the exercise a person needed was 20 minutes. Now its an hour. I'm also impressed that you make it a priority for two hours a day. That takes dedication.

J-Ann - Are you still with us? Hope you're doing okay. We miss you!

Hi to Linda and everyone else!

Everyone, have a great OP day!
Old 03-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #8  
Find a Way

Terri - I found out yesterday just how dedicated I am to the exercise. At the last minute, right when I'd gotten on my bike, DH came down and told me I had to get a cashier's check and deliver it to the title company (refinance). He had a business conference call he had to make so he couldn't do it. At first I whined because when my routine is messed up I get stressed. I told him I wouldn't be able to get my exercise in because I hate to exercise at night, blah, blah, blah. But it was something I had to do.

During the errand I reminded myself of my motto "Find a Way". I decided that applied here as well and if it was important, I'd just have to figure out how to get the exercise in. The errand didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would and I was able to do the bike and weights like I'd planned. Felt good about it.

The Sunday we get back from Singapore DH and I are going to participate in the Runnin' of the Green. It's a 7k race here in Denver. I signed up as a walker and DH will be a runner. Should be fun.

Whew , definitely had those crossed. I was nervous that I'd have a gain at WI. I had to go to the meeting two days early, TOM started yesterday, and I had that huge loss last week. I didn't even want to look at the scale. Fortunately I lost 0.2 lbs., so I am happy !! Taking off now, you guys have a great week. I'll post again when I get back (around the 11th).
Old 03-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Cynthia, I really like your motto. I'm going to have to adopt it for my own because I succumb so easily to any excuse not to exercise. I must learn to "find a way".
Yesterday I went to the Annual General Meeting of our local Hospital Auxiliary. I'm not a member but I do volunteer occasionally at the baby clinic where my friend works every week so she figured I qualified for the free lunch. Well, for that free lunch I had to listen to three hours of speeches and then the lunch was very high carb. Dinner rolls, salad, potato soup and vegetarian lasagne. Well, is it any wonder I gave in to temptation and had two pieces of cake for dessert? I also sort of blew the rest of the day. But, in adding up my points it was just under 50 which really isn't SO bad, is it? Then I remembered the Wendy Plan which I used to use occasionally whereby you stagger your points through the week, some days higher and some days lower (it's supposed to fool your metabolism into giving up the grease ) so today I'm having a low point day.
I tried a recipe out of the WW magazine for lunch and have enough for three more lunches. It's a 4 point Clam Chowder. It's really quite good once you add some salt and pepper. What's with them these days? Very little seasoning in their recipes and if I have to diet, there's no way I'm going to go BLAND. Anyhow, the recipe is in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue. Instead of 1% milk I used a mixture of No Fat Evaporated Milk, water and 2% milk.
Trouble is, it's only 2:30 and I'm already hungry. WAAAAAAH!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 07:54 AM   #10  

Hi ladies,

Just time for a quick post. We have snow and ice so the commute to work will be a long one and I better get on the road very quickly.

I just finished the one mile WATP tape this morning. Last night, I actually got treadmill and airdyne time in for a total of 40 minutes. And I felt great all evening.

Linda - I'm with you with it being so easy to find an excuse not to exercise. It so easily slips my mind. Maybe you can start with some hand weight exercises with small weights and do sitting? Something that you don't aggravate arthritus but still get your muscles moving. Good save by remembering the Wendie plan. What's really great is that while you had a high point day, you didn't use that as an excuse to blow the rest of the week. High days will happen - its how we adjust our reaction to them that really counts. Good job!

Cynthia - Have a great trip! We'll be anxious to hear all about it. Congrats on another loss!!

I better get moving. Have a great OP day.

Linda, looks like it will be just you and me for a few days. Let's keep in touch and not lose our focus.

Take care!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #11  

Angry Newbie again to WW

Good Morning!!

I was just surfing through 3fc and found this thread. I used to post here on the 100#lb club a few years back and then I got too busy and quit. But, now that I'm way up on my weight and having lots of health problems here I come whining back wanting support. But I am starting all over. I joined WW online on Tuesday and have done well so far. I did WW before and lost well. Too bad I didn't keep it off.

I am 41, married with two beautiful dd ages 15 and 6. Yeap, never a dull moment. I work pt as a home health nurse and love my job. I've had a few health problems the last few years but the last 3 months it has become very serious and I've had to go pt with my job and HAVE to get the weight off. Due to a heart problem, I retain lots of fluid and have to take diuretics daily to keep the fluid off. It is nothing for me to gain 4-10 in a day or two of fluid. That will shock you on the scales! I have been overweight all my life except for a few months in the beginning. LOL I've tried all kinds of diets, fad diets, etc... and now am just trying to change my lifestyle and my way of eating.

Well, hope I didn't bore you TOO much. Have a GOOD day!
Old 03-07-2003, 07:59 AM   #12  

Welcome Sherry!

No whining necessary! We're here to support and have been where you're at many times. This is certainly a life-long journey. Isn't it amazing how quickly we fall back into old habits regardless of the fact that we aren't happy when that happens and we don't feel as good physically when we let it happen? But yet, we succumb to poor eating and lack of exercise so easily. The important thing is that you're facing the facts now and are taking the healthy steps again.

Thanks for the intro too. Its fun to meet and learn about people and our weight issues are so much more than just food. Its how we handle the everyday life or how other health issues impact our weight. I love your tagline. Its so true.

We're about the same age. I'm 42, married and live in Missouri. I'm a Director of Finance at a insurance company and wouldn't exactly say that I "love" my job but I like the challenges it presents. DH has two grown sons from a previous marriage so our baby is our dog Bear.

I have found for me that to lose weight, it takes lots of cardio exercise. I think its because I have tried to follow healthy eating for so long now that my body is adjusted and for me to make the scale move, it takes at least 45 minutes a day. I've been off exercise for a few months due to a hip problem but have been easing my way back in. This last couple of weeks, I have been able to get back to 40 minutes every other day. I also tend to lose a little and then yo-yo and then eventually lose a little. Very frustrating. But the yo-yoing comes from relaxing my focus or just plain getting lazy about working the plan.

I better get off the computer and get ready for work. I look forward to learning more about you and helping each other in this journey. Good luck! Have a great OP day!

Old 03-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #13  

Default I'm back - but, um, new, too!

Hi, guys! I'm back - but darned if I could remember anything useful about my old account (slutbunny for those who are confused) - so its a new name. Same gal though!

Down 5# this week - so I'm off to a good new-get-back-to-it-start.

New computer, too - which explains at least part of my absence. Combine with with a feeling of utter-dispair and failing-miserably and you have the whole store.

I'm much better now. :-)
Old 03-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #14  

Jen!

So nice to see you back! I have been thinking about you. I certainly have missed reading about your shopping and hiking adventures. Sorry to hear about the bad feelings. I know how hard it gets when you can't quite get it all to work together for more than a day at a time. But, you've picked yourself up and are back at it. Atta girl! And a 5 pound loss to boot!!

I'm still in here trying myself. I'm still trying to get off the 13 or so pounds I put on between the holidays and my dad passing away. Winter has been tough and do so look forward to spring. That has me motivated to get my endurance back so that I can enjoy outdoor bike riding this year as soon as it gets warmer. Speaking of, I need to get my shoes on and do either the treadmill or a WATP tape. If I wait much longer, I'll be laying on the couch.

I'm off to my mom's tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll be back to post this weekend or not. Have a great OP weekend!
Old 03-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #15  
Slimwithin

My goodness, it's JEN! I remember Slutbunny. I think we left this thread at about the same time and now we're returning at the same time. What a coincidence!
Well, I managed to lose 2 lb this week. I guess it's better than nothing, considering I overate on Monday. I missed my swim two days this week which is not a good thing, and I'll be missing it again on Monday. Other days just don't work for me. Maybe I will haul out my old weights and start doing a workout with them. I also have a stationary bike that glares at me accusingly every time I open the guest bedroom door. I honestly don't know why I bought it last summer. I really, really hate it....and I think it hates me.
We actually got a bit of snow today. The first this winter. Anybody who is misguided enough to think that all of Canada is snow and ice 8 months of the year (at least), should realize that here on the west coast our temperatures are modified by the Japanese ocean currents (sort of like the Atlantic Gulf Stream) that keeps our weather very mild most of the year. But, today some of that arctic air snuck in and we had a few light flurries. Not enough to cover my blooming pansies, daffodils, crocuses and snowdrops though. The interior of BC is getting hit hard with heavy snow though. I grew up in that area so I feel I've paid my dues and they can have it. LOL
Nice to meet you too, Sherry. I look forward to getting to know you better. I just turned 60 and have been married to the same workaholic, perfectionist dh for nearly 39 years and so far have managed not to bump him off. One of these days though. One of these days. Our two daughters are in their 30s. One is married with two teenage sons and the other is expecting her first in November. She lives in Scotland which makes it difficult but I will find a way.
Closed Thread