Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #1  
from flab to fab

S/C/G: 177/170/135

Height: 5'2ish

Default Why WW?

So I'm curious!!! Why did you chose WW over other diets? What was it about WW that got you to commit?

For me, I'd done Atkins in the past which worked. However, I lost 40lbs, ended up having high cholesterol (which I never had when I was fat) and could basically go nowhere with friends. Atkins really poses a problem for the social life.

So here I am ... 4 years later and 40lbs heavier. I guess, I'm exactly where I started. I tricked myself into thinking that Atkins was the way to go again. I low carbed for about 2 days before I realized that it wasn't going to happen.

I'm not working my butt off (literally) only to get stuck in a place where I'm skinny but can't eat MOST foods.

WW was the best choice for me. From what i've seen, its a program that changes the way you deal with food. It's only been 2 days and already I can see my food attitudes changing. Its a very manageable program for me!!!!!

Let me know what clinched you guys!???
missjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #2  

Good luck -- sounds like you are doing awesome!!

I personally picked WW because it is the only thing I've ever tried that worked. I am a "recovering" binge eater, along with many other eating issues over the years and knowing I can have anything I want, as long as I plan it out helps me tremendously. It also adds a bit of "casual counseling" every week which moves me along.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I've been told by doctors that it's a sensible & healthy plan. The group atmosphere & meetings really drew me in. Also, to have someone face-to-face to be accountable to.

Last edited by Lovely; 05-02-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #4  
from flab to fab

Thank you for your replies!

I'm happy to hear that your doctor said it's a healthy way of losing the weight! That's exactl:carrot the point, we want to become healthy!!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #5  

Second the doctor -- my doctor has been pushing me to go for two years.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #6  
from flab to fab

It's funny when I originally lost the weight, it was my doctor who suggested I got on a diet. I remember visiting her in 03' and she gave me a pamphlet about nutrition and how to make good choices.

At the same time, I was taking an intensive fitness class in College and become obsessed with working out. At first, my intention wasn't even to lose weight - I had the state of mind that I wouldn't EVER be able to be thin. I thought I was destined to be fat my entire life.

After one term of working out 5 times a week I ended up losing about 10 lbs with very little effort. By little effort, I mean that I didn't modify my eating habits at all. I guess by working out I burnt off all those extra calories I was taking in.

That winter I become obsessed with weight. After doing some research online I decided to jump onto the Atkins bandwagon. I bought all the books and set out to lose an extra 30 lbs. By the end of that summer I weighed 126 lbs. I was miserable though. Yay I was thin... but I was ALWAYS starving, I never went out with friends because I was scared I would get tempted into eating carbs. I was in a really bad place.

I ended up back at the doctor because I wanted her to see that I'd done it! When she weighed me she told me "very good" you've lost 41 lbs. However when I told her how I did it, she told me "not good" and sent me for a blood test.

Sure enough, I had high cholesterol which she attributed to the fact that I'd eaten eggs, eggs, eggs and meat for almost 8 months. She then explained to me that losing weight is meant to make you healthy and not to induce other medical problems. She suggested WW but I laughed it off thinking I don't need someone to tell me what I can and cannot eat.

So here I am, at 26.. unable to control what I eat. So far weight watchers has made me accountable, it's helping me gain the control over my diet and how much and what I put into my mouth!

I'm SOOOOOO glad I found this board. You are all such a huge inspiration to me!!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Well, my MiL is a WW lifetimer. I think she's over goal, but she's been doing the WW points thing for a few years now. She & I would talk about it, but I was TRYING to do South Beach. She always said how much she liked it because she could eat what she wanted, just had to watch her points. She never pushed me, but was always so pleased with it.

Thing is, I started with trying South Beach, and then You: On a Diet, then Slim Fast, then back on South Beach, then back on Slim Fast, then back on South Beach...last year. With South Beach, I couldn't make it past day 3 in Phase 1 the first time. Then I tried YOU... and I gained weight! Slim Fast (the newer, updated plan where you can eat...not the old plan I tried in the 90s) worked, but then I felt guilty about eating so many products with corn syrup in them.

Second time round on South Beach, I managed to last 5 days. Third time, I managed to last 7 days. I just couldn't stick with it. Even though it's just 2 weeks, I couldn't psychologically get over no fruit or whole grains. Besides, it was very expensive for me to try and do.

My turning point/inspiration about WW came with my middle sister doing it. She's struggled with her weight since puberty. The only time before this that she was able to lose weight and keep it off for a while was when she did Jenny Craig in '98, but that's expensive.

Her sis-in-law gave her, as a gift, some WW materials. My sister and her dh have been working on it since about January. She has lost 23 lbs (and that's using more points then she's allotted, though not all her flex points). He has lost probably 25 or so. It took talking to her more, having be SO excited as she talked about how to use it.

The other thing was learning about #1: the at-home kit, which I've now ordered (just this week, so it's not here yet) b/c I'm not a big one for meetings and #2: that I could get the basic startup info at my first meeting. Our area has a special that dropped the registration fee, so I was able to start up for $15. I have significant weight to lose, about 75 lbs to get to my goal, and I need something I can stick with.

I started on April 8. I only made one meeting and a second weigh-in, but I'm doing alright on my own with what I have. I've lost over 5 lbs so far. Slow, steady loss, but it keeps coming down. And guess what? I haven't gotten tired of or frustrated with WW yet. I don't see myself getting tired of it. I like that there is FREEDOM with it. I'm not blowing the whole thing if I have a bowl of cereal, kwim? I have yet to use up all my flex points, and I'm doing a decent job at using up my daily points.

I'm still enjoying it, and can't wait to see how well it all goes! I want to break 200...in my clothes...by next week.

Last edited by luvmyfam; 05-02-2008 at 03:41 PM.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, Weight Watchers worked for me because of the accountability of weighing in every week, the focus on sensible eating not rapid weight loss, and meeting with other "losers" for group support.

I've had success on several programs, but they've all shared these traits. Hubby and I couldn't afford to both be on Weight Watcher's, so we joined TOPS. In TOPS we can follow any sensible eating plan, and many of us are former Weight Watcher's, about half of which still follow the point system. The plan offered by TOPS is an exchange plan, very similar to pre-1994 Weight Watcher's, which I am more comfortable with than points because it reminds me to eat a balanced diet, though I do revert to points on days that journaling will be difficult (like vacations, road trips, social events), because I have enough memorized to do them in my head.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #9  
The Last 10lbs!

I've been trying to lose weight for most of my teenage years (I'm 20 now) because I've always just had a bit of extra chub without being really overweight for my height. That said, I have attempted to cut back on processed foods and sweets but I found diets that restricted me far too difficult, as well as those that demanded a lot of exercise. Especially as a full-time student, I don't have that much time on my hands and sometimes am unwilling to do it after a long day at school. WW works even without exercise (though it obviously speeds up results and is better for you if you do it). This is the only time I have been successful, and so far I have lost 20lbs and am almost at my first goal. I feel great, and best of all, I don't feel like there is anything I can't have, as long as I am sensible with my choices. I love WW!

Last edited by freedomreins; 05-02-2008 at 04:12 PM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #10  

Weight Watchers works for me because it teaches me self control. I love the fact that there are not any forbidden foods. That all foods are allowed within moderation and within my allowed points.
WW teaches me how to eat without overeating.
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I chose Weight Watchers because it isn't a fad diet - it's my belief that any plan that has you cutting out entire food groups, or having to buy special food, or drinking specific shakes, is just not healthy. I tried Atkins years ago, and I lost 20 lbs; however, I also started losing my hair, the second month I had my period for almost the entire month (it was bizarre!) and my skin was constantly broken out because of all the crazy stuff happening with my hormones (also the reason for the other two issues). My doctor agreed with cutting back on certain carbs, but she felt that Atkins was awful and had seen multiple patients with real issues stemming from the diet (including one with kidney disease). That scared me off of plans that teach, "This is a diet. You must eat this food, not that food." Weight Watchers is really just a way of life, you can eat whatever you want; it just teaches moderation and real portion sizes, lol.

Also, it is the only program that I lost a lot of weight on in the past. Stupidly though, I stopped following my new way of life and I gained it all back. That was my fault, however, not the Weight Watchers plan! I won't make that mistake again.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #12  
Blonde Bombshell

S/C/G: 164/133/136

Height: 5'8''

I just want to say that I LOVE WW. Going to the meeting and weighing in is one of my favorite times of the week (I kid you not, I'm a dork!) It's just a great feeling because it DOES work...and the people are so supportive and helpful. I love finding new recipes that sound amazing and I don't feel guilty about eating them! The best thing--you CAN eat whatever you want. It is NOT A DIET. (My family still says "Can you eat that?" "Is that on your diet?" and I just laugh). You can have your favorite foods, but learn to control portions. and learn to love new foods! This forum is great for finding recipes and getting support. With WW, I feel flexible, and I love eating (yes, I eat all day long on this "diet" and still lose weight), and I'm exercising more and eating HEALTHY foods! They base the points on YOU, and you still get flex points each week! It's scientifically proven to work, and if you follow the plan and keep yourself accountable (which helps with going to meetings), it will work. And people are supporting you every step of the way. I think I'm rambling, but I think I made my point
KatieLeighVOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #13  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

Well, my doctor has been urging me to go to Weight Watchers for a couple years, but I didn't go due to the expense. Any 'diet' I'd tried previously (such as Atkins or calorie counting) was on my own. Finally, 5 weeks ago, I decided I couldn't afford not to go! I've had some medical issues this year that demand I lose weight.

I did lose over 70 lbs on Atkins 5 years ago, but I gained all but 10 back. I decided I just couldn't be restricted from eating any particular foods anymore. It isn't realistic for me to say I'll never eat chocolate or french fries again, and I never want to feel guilty for "cheating". So WW is good choice for that reason too.

Finally, there are three women where I work who have had fabulous results on WW. One lost 30 lbs, one 50 lbs, and a third has lost 85 lbs over the last two years! They were my real inspiration to try Weight Watchers!

So far so good. I must say it is motivating to have to go in to get weighed every week, too
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #14  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

I chose Weight Watchers because to me, it seemed to be the most realistic choice for me. I'm a full time college student and a full time worker, and sometimes I have to eat fast food or things of that nature. I feel WW has helped in me making better choices. It leaves room for life's little mishaps. You can't plan everything and WW makes it easier for me to make better choices.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #15  
from flab to fab

TheHeather

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a full-time Law Student and I also work! Sometimes I just don't have the time to make myself a meal. WW is great for that since I can make better choices and still stay within my pts!

Last edited by missjenny; 05-08-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo