Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Cole-Why don't you buy a few basic weights...second hand or otherwise...and check out the website stumptuous.com (may be spelling it wrong) She has a great set of suggestions for setting up a routine for yourself. Or take out a basic weight lifting book from the library on setting up a routine for yourself.

Rabbit...where did you find that test on gauging your real age?

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #17  
Mel

Here it is: www.RealAge.com

It's kind of fun! Keep on liftin'

(drive-by post)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #18  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Where oh where have I been? I’ve been loaded down at work lately, everyone is back from vacation this week and need things taken care of yesterday. Finally I have a little time to check in here. Plus I have work/dinner shin-digs tonight and tomorrow. How ever will I survive? At least it’s free food

Mel – a free elliptical, that is like my dream!

nelie – That’s great news about the dress! I have really come to love yoga. Even if I’m completely slacking off and I do nothing else I make sure I get at least one yoga class in per week.

Susan – Great news about the two pounds lost! Hope your vertigo sorts out soon, that does sound awfully limiting. I personally hate sleeping upright.

I took the Real Age test, kind of fun. Turns out that all that smoking put a year or so on my age, but I’ve taken years off in other areas. My calendar age is 26.5 and my “real age” is 23.1, not too bad for an ex-smoker!

I’ve been doing pretty much the minimum for workouts these days, but that’s better than nothing I suppose. I found my heat rate to be lower than usual during my elliptical workout this week, even though I’ve only been doing one elliptical session per week. Might be the yoga, the walking, the rollerblading, whatever! It’s still good news. I just have to kick up the intensity now to get as good of a work-out.

Food has been pretty good this week. I have a temporary ban on beer in my fridge since it’s way too easy for me to talk my self into just one or two. Problem is that one or two 140 calorie beverages that do nothing for me nutritionally isn’t something I can really afford if I want to lose these 10 lbs by Oct. 7. The scale has been dipping towards 169, but I’m not going to list that as an official pound loss till it sticks for a few days. I remember when it was so much easier to lose a pound! Oh, those were the days.

Hope everyone has a fabulous day!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #19  

hi LWL,

I stuck to my resolutions today & did 30 mins mini-workout straight out of bed. 15 mins treadmill, 10 mins legs & 5 mins stretching. Boy, am I stiff around the back, neck & shoulders!! I really really need to keep this up. Bit I am still struggling with the tiredness, plus the fact that the kids are not here & XH still causing problems makes me think anything I do is just not worthwhile. Current XH problem is this time I might have to move as he does not seem to want to sell me the house. On the other hand, that might be a VERY good thing for me to do, as i can move closer to where the kids social life is, and stop ferriiing them around!. Fortunately i can nog recognise these thoughts as b******t and stick to doing things that DO make a difference because they improve the quality of my life right NOW.

I read in a book that excercise, specifically running, could increase the amount of red bloddcells. I'm going to check that out. it sounds too good to be true. I have a congenital anemia that is not treatable, so if this would be true this would certainly be interesting!

Cole - I second what artmaker says...just get some weights and check sumptuous for a scedule. Alternatively you can get BFL for women from the library: basically they suggest alternating UBW and LBW, and do 2 excercises for each muscle group. I started out with a full body workout from a book as well. If you are in a weightlifting class now, you can probabely go a long way by copying what you do in class.

Artmaker, mel, Shan, - I have not gotten to re-doing the test, but I certainly was not pleased to see that I'm judged to be like 6 years older than I really am ! Time for action!.

have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #20  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm 19 and a half! I'm really 23 and a half, so that's good!

I'm also a PURPLE belt as of last night

We're off on holiday for the weekend on Saturday morning. 3am start

Scales are UP I have NO IDEA why!!!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #21  
Mel

CONGRATULATIONS FRU!
Maybe you should just stay off the scale for a bit? I think you're driving yourself bonkers with it. Keep eating right and exercising. It will come off!

Rabbit- It's been a tough couple of years for you packed into the last 12 months! you'll rebound. I think you are well on your way to getting younger at this point

Hi Shan! Welcome back! Free food? Be careful out there

Susan- Hope you are getting some sleep! I can't sleep upright unless the light is on, I'm trying to read, and there's a hockey game on the TV.

Today I have to decide whether to drive or fly to Ohio tomorrow- based on what the news is saying about security lines, it's going to take me about the same amount of time I was so thrilled to find cheap online special tickets now that Southwest flies this route, it's much cheaper to fly than drive. And I'm sooooo sick of the PA turnpike! But standing in line for 4-5 hours, flying for an hour and a half, then waiting for a bag I wasn't planning on checking in the first place isn't sound too good either. I don't know if I can get a credit for the tickets

Arms and cardio on the gym menu.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 AM   #22  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Morning all! Rabbit, hang in there....I admire the fact that in spite of all the s.... that's being thrown your way, you take the time to reason it out and realize that it's his problem, his nastiness, and that you aren't going to let it get to you. I read a book that indicated that in general, people who are optimistic live longer...and it sounds like that is what you are doing. Great going! This too shall pass.

YAY PURPLE FRU!!!!! THREE HIPS AND A HOORAY! Congratulations. Bet you got a good night's sleep after that. You must be flying high!

Did the real age thing....told me I was 66 not 63, but's that's because (1) I drive a compact car (go figure!), and (2)I wasn't able to remember what my cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. was, and (3) I mistakenly indicated I only see friends 1nce a month instead of 1nce a week. That kind of stuff. Not significant. I know I'm doing the right things, and compared to my friends of the same age, am way ahead on taking care of myself. If only my weight was down 15 pounds I would be "just perfect" (grin).

It's Friday....let's all go out and celebrate. Fru, you've got a great reason, and Rabbit....wouldn't hurt to get out and have some fun with some friends and forget the x. Mel, good luck on the flight. Shan, enjoy the shin-digs!

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #23  
aka Superwoman!

Mel - TELL ME ABOUT THE FLIGHT !!!! We are off to Marrakech for the weekend and had checked in on-line. A 4 hour flight without a book, and we're going economy, so no in-flight movies or food!

I'd celebrate tonight if I didn't have to get up at 3am for that darn plane! I'll buy something purple in Marrakech!!!

Roll on 4pm!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #24  

Hi LWL,

Frus - CONGRATULATIONs PURPLE BELT!!! I hope you hape a gorgeous time in marrakech, according to the news overhere the lines are already less today, but maybe that is just here..

Mel-Oh what a pity! I hope you'll have a great trip anyway!

Mel, Artmaker..I'll take the test again next week. I have indeed extra points from the current situation but I am determined...probabely my age is already down from when the going was toughest. Today i went shopping at Ikea, which is always therapeutic, and I got lots of stuff to brighten up the house.

Also i checked out the relation between running and increasing the number of red bloodcells, but no such luck. What i found is that if you overtrain you will get anemia, and that if you train at high altitude you'll get more red bloodcells. Duh..I was sent to the mountains on doctors orders when I was a teenager, and I could barely MOVE in the thinner air. I just gguess I'll jhabve to sort it out in the ususal way then.

Rabbit
Old 08-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #25  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Frus, I don't think I can sleep without cuddling, it is part of my nightly regimine! Congrats on the purple belt and I know the scale is frustrating but maybe throw it out the window for a few days.

Susan (am), I do enjoy the push workouts, mostly because they do motivate me. I haven't been to the gym in over a week, yet I've been getting in some decent workouts. As the weather starts to cool down, I'll probably go to the gym again but it is a nice alternative.

Shan, I'm starting to do yoga twice a day! Not anything too extreme but still.

I did the Real Age thing and it said I was 25 instead of 31. I think it is mostly because of my recent dietary changes. Of course it gave me things to improve on.

I exercised like a mad woman yesterday. I did 15 minutes of yoga in the morning, 30 minutes of upper body, then after work I did 30 minutes of cardio and then 40 minutes of yoga before bed. Only problem is it isn't a reasonable pace for me to keep up all the time.

I'm kind of in shock today. I found out someone I know, a few years older than me, has cancer and I believe it is one of the rarer forms of cancer. It is hard to believe someone near my age is going to be struggling with cancer. I guess it is why I try to do the best for myself and my body to try to stay healthy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #26  
aka Superwoman!

Scary about your friend - at least you are already on your way to optimal health!

I do like cuddling too but recently I've been so tired I just want to fall asleep - I think exhaustion just got the better of me! However we made up for it last night!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #27  

Height: 5'4"

RealAge also has nutritional analysis available here: http://www.realage.com/racafe/nutrit...troduction.asp
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #28  

Hi LWL,

House redoing cardio today! I am really really proud of myself because i have been drilling into walls & ceilings with the drill I gave myself for the holidays last december...and I can do it!! This may seem trivial, but i have so long considered drilling into stone & concrete mens work, that although on an intellectual level I know there is no reason on earth that I could not, since it is a question of tooling mainly, I still feel on an emotional level that for some strange reason i was not meant to odo these things. But I have copnquered another obstacle!!! I am re-donig my bedroom and it is coming along splendidly.Now up to my living room and kitchen. Pity that I am again tired, but it is very wrthwhile to DIY at home!!!

have a great day all,
rabbit