Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:42 AM   #91  

I just started the chapter on cardio. I have an old cheap manual treadmill. My treadmill time used to be what I would call "la-de-da." I mean I was working at such low intensity I was wasting my time, not even breaking a sweat. Now I am checking the montior to see that I keep up my speed. I can still read while I walk on the treadmill, I just need to pay attention to my exercise intensity.
garybearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #92  
Lovin' Zumba!

Yes, my cardio time too. I plan to dig out my heart monitor and start paying attention to how hard (or not!) I'm working.

I'm into the cardio chapter myself. The food chapter really gave me a lot to think about - as an endomorph I like the ideas of carb tapering and zig-zagging, but I really need to plan this out before I can put it into effect. Figuring out meals 5 and 6 without starchy carbs will be a huge challenge for me - especially my dinner with DF! I really need to have some good recipes/ideas on hand. This is why I always struggled doing SB P1 - hard for me to come up with just meat and veggies meals that weren't so plain. Maybe I'll search the recipes on the SB thread for some ideas.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #93  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybearsgirl View Post
I can still read while I walk on the treadmill, I just need to pay attention to my exercise intensity.
If you can still read while on the treadmill, you are not working hard enough ... Get some good music going and workup a good sweat ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #94  
Mel

Ahem....I read all the time on the treadmill! My heart rate is well within the range where it needs to be. It just takes some practice!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #95  
Working My Way Back Down

I can read on the treadmill - not on the elliptical though - but it doesn't make it much less boring. Of course, audiobooks work a lot better.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #96  
Meg

Oh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could read on the treadmill or elliptical!! But I bounce around so much that it's impossible to focus on one spot on the page. Geez, I'd probably do double cardio if I could read at the same time! Is there a trick to it?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #97  
Working My Way Back Down

Book has to lay flat, and the print has to be big enough! In my case, no paperbacks.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I kinda glanced at the books on CD at the library last night. That's certainly a tempting idea ... for walking or jogging.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #99  
Working My Way Back Down

Try them, you'll like them! (says the librarian). It keeps me from skipping, and worst (or best) of all, from reading the last chapter early on.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 PM   #100  
Ilene the Bean

Well the ladies I see at the gym reading on the treadmill DO NOT work up a sweat at all ... I really didn't think it could be done ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #101  

This is the quote that's been kicking around in my head lately .... It's amazing what can happen to your body when you put nutrition, cardio and weight training all together at once. The results are "synergistic". "Synergy" means the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Synergy means that 1+1+1 may not equal 3, it may equal 30 or 300. In other words, by using this combination correctly, you can increase your results exponentially!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #102  

Good morning guys I am new to this forum and have spent a few days reading some threads. If you guys don't mind I am going to jump in here because of all the books that I have read this one makes the most sense. I am familiar with his idea of eating smartly, setting some really solid goals, and the importance of working out. The thingy with me is that for the life of me I just haven't been able to get back on track (ugh!!), and I end up feeling like such a failure. Ok this is not productive thinking so let's get moving!!

Oh one thing I love the little guys that you insert in your postings, there was one with this little dancing carrot, where in the world can I find those??? Mind you I am 43 years old and a mom of two gremlins, but I never matured beyond the age of 12

I look forward to learning from you guys and making this a fun journey.
Tweety888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #103  

Hi Tweety ... I agree, the good stuff is all in this book.
If you click on "Go Advanced" instead of posting a quick reply ... you'll have a selection of smilies to choose from ... even the dancing carrot.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #104  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hi tweety!

If you click on "Go Advanced" under the little type window, then you can see the smilies on the right hand side. You can also click on "more" at the bottom of that square for more fun things

We like Tom Venuto! Just take the lifestyle change one step at a time! Try doing healthy breakfasts for a week, then the next week add in a bit of exercise. Don't try to do it all at once, that's when we fall off. Perfection is over-rated! Or at least I think so anyway, perhaps that's why I haven't found my "perfect" body yet But it keeps me upright and all the bits work pretty well, so I'm happy with that!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #105  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

SusanB - Just for you!

2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote