Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #46  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Oooh but "fake fries" are good!! Just slice up a potato into skinny strips and oven bake until crispy! Very nice with cottage cheese to dip into! I should eat this ever day!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup Nelie! It's comprehensive all right!
Potatoes are one of those things ... naturally individual packages
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #48  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oven fries! I love those guys although I've only made them with Yams. I do have some Yukon gold potatoes (very strange, gold skin, gold flesh) leftover from a potato salad I made for a bbq. The problem is my BF loves rice, so substituting other carbs for rice is a rarity.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #49  
aka Superwoman!

Here's something that jumped up and slapped me in the face!

No food is neutral - everything you eat either helps or hurts

If you've been blessed with an effecient metabolism and you think you can "get away with" frequent dietary indiscretions, you'd better think again! Everything counts. No food has a neutral effect. Everything you eat moves you forward or sends you backwards. Once you understand and accept the maxim that you are LITERALLY what you eat, and that every food you eat either helps or hurts, you'll start to get extremely careful about what you put into your body every day.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #50  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
Misti, I think I put Tom Venuto in a google search.
Thanks... I tried that and filled out the free report stuff -- all I got was a confirmation for the newsletter. The site offers me the "opportunity" to buy the book for $40 but that's it.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 06-08-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #51  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Everything you eat moves you forward or sends you backwards. Once you understand and accept the maxim that you are LITERALLY what you eat, and that every food you eat either helps or hurts, you'll start to get extremely careful about what you put into your body every day.
What a mouthful!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #52  

Misti, I have an online friend who gets the newsletter and finds it very helpful. Yes ... the book costs money unfortunately.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #53  

Oh okay, thanks... I was under the impression it was free. Not a problem then... I appreciate the info.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #54  

It's interesting how the same sort of notion comes up in very different threads at about the same time. I was just reading some posts from gals who never really thought about the fact that they had a 'basal' calorie usage, let alone raw materials for rebuilding.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #55  

Yes I saw that thread too.

And yah I did get the impression this thing was free... LOL any time I pay 40 bucks for a book I want a BOOK!!!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #56  
Just Me

When I bought the book, I was a little put off by his website (it is kind of umm annoying) but I had heard so many good things from the girls here, that I decided to go for it. I did think it was worth it but the trade off is that you get a pdf instead of an actual book.

I just have to find the time to re-read it, I'm on page 2 so far...
Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #57  

Books are expensive! But I buy the ones I want I paid over $30.00 for the 3fc book.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #58  
aka Superwoman!

I remember stumbling upon Tom's website when I first joined 3FC (a long time ago!) and I remember him saying stuff like "Abs are made in the kitchen" and "You have to eat lots of chicken 6 times a day"... Well I thought it was all rubbish and I carried on in my little diet-ninny world for about a year or two, then I decided to join the world of weights, and I've stumbled back on him! I still don't like his website though, but apparently it's having a major overhaul according to his newsletter!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #59  
aka Superwoman!

Some thoughts on the food is a drug issue... And supplements.

Some people are quite prepared to do "anything" to be slim. They will pop pills and look for the "easy" way out. So if they are so willing to do "anything" why is eating healthily such a hard task? Is it because a doctor would rather prescribe a pill than a prescriptive menu of six small meals a day? If they would do anything, then why can't they do the sensible way? I know a lot of people are addicted to food (myself included), and it's very hard to give up your particular weakness, be it chocolate M&Ms or peanuts or chips. BUT if these people can pop pills and put up with the horrible side effects of them, then why can't they see that eating healthily - the "prescribed" six meals is the "drug" and the side effects of such a "drug" is that you may experience withdrawal from the unhealthy foods.

I think I have a point here... I guess what I'm saying is... If doctors prescribed a healthy eating plan like that which is outlined in BFFM instead of diet pills, surely that would be better for all? If you could get BFFM on prescription...? Then would the mentality of being "prescribed" something by your doctor make you follow the plan? I mean, we pop antibiotics if we're prescribed them, because we HAVE to, for our HEALTH. So if an eating plan was viewed by John Doe as a "prescription" something that they had to do for health, like taking antibiotics, would that help? Or is there something more deeply ingrained about food. For example, it's around us all the time, it's our "right" to eat food - like it's our "right" to take drugs (good/bad/recreational) because they are so abundant. How can eating a Krispy Kreme be ok, but popping an E or smoking dope not? Is it society who is permitting these "naughty" foods as ok. Tom V would be the first to point out that doughnuts are particularly All that fat and carbohydrate together raising the insulin to increadibly high levels - is it comparable to the effects of a recreational drug on our system? And again, food can be likened to a drug - the high you get from satisfying the craving for said doughnut, is it like being high on dope? Society at large is well aware that the side effects of drugs are bad... Is it something we have to teach society that the side effects of Krispy Kremes are actually quite bad, if not, even harmful to ourselves? When will a Krispy Kreme doughnut be seen as being as harmful to your health as smoking? Are they going to ban Krispy Kremes in restaurants - so you have all these guilty-looking Krispy Kreme eaters huddled round outside the restaurant enjoying their post-healthfood sin?

And I don't want to seem all high-and-mighty here, because I love a Krispy Kreme as much as the next person, however I rarely eat them because of the things I know about them. And another thing... If Krispy Kremes ever were banned (not likely) then are we going to be living in a "nanny state" - I mean where do you draw the line? Drugs are illegal because they are bad for us... But cigarettes are bad for us... Say taxes anyone? Perhaps Krispy Kremes (or their equivalents) should be taxed sky-high, so that they are ever only considered the "occasional" treat.

What do you think? Do you catch my drift or was it just a ramble?

[/soapbox]
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #60  
Just Me

I agree with you frus.

I also believe that the further away from "bad" foods you get, the less they are desireable. Ocassionally, I would buy myself a treat. Something I enjoyed a great deal in the past and figured I'd enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it then. Then something weird happened. I didn't enjoy the treats. I was confused. Maybe my taste buds have changed. I also had to train myself to like veggies. I always liked them to some extent but never ate very many until a few years ago. Now I love veggies.

I enjoy what I eat and I try to make food enjoyable. I am learning to portion and enjoy my portions as I eat. Last night, I wasn't even very hungry so I ate 2 protein shakes (with fruit) as my meals (3 hours apart). I enjoyed those very much. I hate to say that I don't like dessert anymore but it is true. Most desserts are too sweet for me. (Although an occassional piece of dark chocolate, accompanied with mint tea is very good)

Of course has any of this helped me lose weight in the past year? Not quite but it hasn't helped me gain any either.