Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #1  
She

Default Protein Bar

I've been using protein bars for their convenience and portability. Specifically, I have been using the new South Beach Diet meal replacement bars, which are low carb, have 19 g protein, 5 g fiber, 23 vitamins and minerals, and 220 calories. However, most of the protein comes from soy which I've been reading fairly negative things about lately. A problem I have found with a lot of other protein bars is that gelatine in a primary ingredient, which helps to hold the bar together but also serves as a poor source of most of the bar's protein.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good HIGH protein, low carb / sugar, non-soy / gelatine based protein bar?

Thanks,

~Julie
She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Oh gee Julie, I've never found a protein bar that agrees with me, they make me sleep and tired, there must be a lot of hidden sugars in them. Now I stick with whey protein shakes with frozen strawberries or CC and strawberries if I can't use a hand blender... Sorry! I hope someone else can give you a better answer...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #3  
Meg

The only answer I've found is to make my own. We have several recipes for protein bars and muffins in our Bodybuilding Recipes sticky at the top of the LWl page.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #4  
She

Thanks so much. It had not occured to me that I could make my own protein bars and muffins. Duh!

One quick question, isn't it the WHEY protein that does not lose its potency when you bake it?

Thanks!

~Julie
Old 01-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #5  
Meg

The protein bars that I make aren't baked, so it's not an issue (here's the recipe ). I think I remember Mel posting about it being OK to bake her recipes with whey PP, but perhaps she'll see this thread and give you a better answer.

The bonus is that all of these recipes taste light years better than anything you can buy!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #6  
Mel

My understanding is that you can heat whey protein, but not casein.

I love tri-o-plex bars, particularly the chocolate-peanut butter chip. They are too big for one serving for me (around 430 calories) so I cut them in half before I start eating one and attempt to hide the other half in my gym bag or car.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #7  
She

Tri-o-plex bars, I'll have to look for them. Thanks!

I modified a pumpkin-bran muffin recipe I had to make it higher protein and it turned out great. I posted the recipe in the appropriate stickied thread if anyone's interested.

~Julie
Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #8  
Meg

Cool! Thanks! We're always looking for new recipes.