Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #16  

Default Good Morning all!

How is everyone today?
I had a long cry on hubbys shoulder about losing my wedding ring awhile back, my Mom, My uncle, my Car, my daughter and reliving how scared she was....
Needed to get that out. Not a big cryer but I let it go.... and I feel much better for it. We agreed that we had much to be grateful for. Our health being #1 and we are going back to the gym 5 days a week. We are going to train together and get back on the horse. It is kind of funny that I started posting on here a few months ago because oridinarily my life is pretty uneventful. Strange coincidence that I started on LWL (3FC) when I really needed to be reading all of your inspirational posts. Training is such a *huge* positive part of my life. I really value it and times like the recent past make me realize that even more.
Happy training all
Blessings
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:37 AM   #17  

Gosh, you'd have to be made of real tuff stuff not to cry in your situation, L2L, and it sure feels good to let it out!

Good on you for getting back into the gym!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #18  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

L2L – good to hear that you all are OK after your accident. How did it go with the other driver?

Sugar Cube – yes, isn’t it more interesting to lift when you track your progress? I have my little black notebook with me every time at the gym and try really hard to do better than I did last time - on every exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2lift
Training is such a *huge* positive part of my life. I really value it and times like the recent past make me realize that even more.
This is where I’m trying to get too. I’ve never stuck with exercising before, and I have some old head-stuff going on now that I’m (a) on my second month of weight maintenance, and (b) not exercising to lose weight.
I’m having some problems keeping my motivation up: It’s hard to get out of bed and get to the gym some mornings - once I get there everything is OK (and I have never ever regretted going ) – but getting there is sometimes hard.
I have to come up with some good answers/responses to my “gloom and doom thoughts” for those mornings - when I get up early to go to the gym, and it’s dark, cold and rainy outside. This is definitely a work in progress.

But I had a good upper body workout today anyway. And I broke my speed record on the treadmill – so all in all; a good Wednesday morning.
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mette, I've always had experiences in the past where I talked myself out of and back into going to the gym. Usually I get in my gym clothes and then talk to myself some more and then either I go or I don't. Luckily, it has been a few months since I had to have the "should I go" conversation with myself. Usually when I go, I am happy to be there. There has only been a couple instances where I went and then left shortly after. Really though, there are very few good reasons to not go and a lot of good reasons to go so the answer should be "go".
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Nelie and Mette ... Yesterday, I made a deal with some friends that everyday this week we would do some 'more' exercise each day, than we usually do. Well, I did mine yesterday, easy but today ??? I worked this morning, we have to go for dinner and then a little coffee meeting this evening. I was pretty tempted to just grab an hour of peace and quiet first but ... I came here.
Happy to report that I elliptical'd, thanks to both of you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #21  

Default Happy Humpday!

Hi Guys!
I really enjoy reading all of your posts. I reap a lot of motivation from them and just wanted to say thanks :Grouphug:
Nellie and GOEAA, It is great to see you in the throws of positive change. It helps the rest of us keep our fire lit!

Mette: Training has been a *huge* positive influence for me, but just like GOEEA's pics, it is a cumulative everyday process. It seems a little backwards ,but often results are the biggest motivator. So, in the beginning, you have to go on blind faith. I have been training for 10+ years and after two kids and some down times. My consistant training has been a *friend* to me. I know it sounds weird, but that is how I feel. Instead of gaining 20 pounds, I gained just a few despite my depression eating. I work in a medical office and recently I had a "Dexascan" which measures bone density, fat volume and muscle volume (down to the GRAM!).
well, despite my recent slips,my body fat is at the low end of the normal range, my bone density is literally *off the chart* and I have a minimum of 20 more pounds of muscle volume than the average woman my age/size. I haven't been consistant at all lately, and I've gained a little fat but it is NOTHING compared to what it would be if I didn't have the muscle on me. And my bone density well....that is just money in the bank from thousands of workouts. I thought to myself "Thanks Buddy" referring to the weights....
One of the nicest things a woman can do for herself.
On that note I'll try to start posting my workouts, if you guys don't mind, as it helps me stay motivated and consistant

Tuesday:
Biceps, Triceps, Forearms, calves, abs
Superset preachers and Pressdowns

Machine preachers (I never do these...)
70X10X10X10X9
Machine seated tricep pressdowns
160X15X15X14X12

superset cable curls and French Press
2 arm straight bar low cable curls
80X12X12X10X8
Standing french press on cables with rope
75X12X10X10X9

Superset Cable curls and horiz dips
2 arm Over head cable curls
50X14X13X13X10
Horizontal dips w/ a 45# plate on my lap
45X18X16X16X14

Reverse DB curls for forearms
20X8eaX8eaX7eaX7ea

Leg Press for calves
270X26X24X20X16X15

Machine crunches
80X35X32X31X28X20

I will try to get back into posting my diet next week too...
Thanks guys
XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #22  

Mette and Nelie, thank you for those posts, I needed that! And will think of just "go"ing instread of procrastinating like I've been doing lately...

L2L, I'm so happy you're back !! and those workouts they always make me think well if she can do that! I can do it too!

Food has been good but dang the workouts have been invisible!! And tomorrow I'll probably not have time either OYE!!!
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #23  

Hello all,

L2l, your posts are also uplifting. They keep reminding me that I shouldn't leave my best friends, the weights, alone for too long, or else I'll be sorry. Although I'm going through a very busy time, I still try to keep up training. i do not weight train so much at this point, for several reasons, but am keeping steady on cardio and food at least, actually a lot more since i heard of my blood sugar troubles. So maybe It's good this happened, like feeling so low a while back, as it helped me make necessary decisions to change my life and come to France. I hope it will be the same for you, too. Nice program you posted, am curious about the food too!

Oh well,leaving tomorrow for the Netherlands for a week, I KNOW it's going to be fun seeing al my family and friend again, not to mention shopping!!!!!!!

To keep up training I've made a day to day house training program and am going to walk a lot, if I can fit it in, swim (although the hotel will not have a pool, my company is not THAT generous) .

Ilene, git on track, hut, 2,3,4....!!! Just joking, I know how difficult it is to fit training in sometimes, but even 20 min is a LOt better than the regrets you have if you don't...

I might not have time to post next week, so I'll say bye today, hang in there all, and see you next week!

Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 AM   #24  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

L2L - good to see you again. And very glad to hear that you and the little one were OK. I suppose that's what those crumple zones in cars are there for. You've got a lot on your plate just now. I'm thinking of you.

No time, everyone. Keep on with the iron.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:51 AM   #25  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

nelie – yes, it’s all about the inner dialogue, isn’t it? Talking yourself into doing things, and talking yourself out of doing things.
I’ve had this defeatist attitude about exercising because I’ve never once stuck with it, at some point I have given up and quit every time. This time I’m looking closer into what’s going on with me/inside of me when I get to the point where I want to give up exercising. I’m trying to identify the different ways I think and feel right before I give up; what is it exactly I think or feel that makes me want to give up?
Sometimes it’s about being sleepy (gone to bed too late, trying to get up too early).
Sometimes it’s about being tired (thinking “this is too hard for me to do”).
Sometimes it’s about a feeling of “this will not last, sooner or later I will stop (just as I have every single time before) – so I can just as well stop now”.
And sometimes it’s about looking for an easy way out (“I can drop it today, it won’t matter; I can start again tomorrow”).

So I’m taking a more proactive approach this time. As soon as I identify the thoughts leading up to giving up; I can start working on the responses, and prepare the responses, and have them ready for when I need them. And by that I can turn the inner dialogue around and not spin down into where I stop exercising!

SusanB – good for you that you chose working out too!

luv2lift – I find your posts very inspiring, and I really like the idea of going on blind faith at first, before the results come. Having exercising as something stable and constant in my life: it’s what I want too. And your workout is impressive as always!

Ilene – hope you found time for workouts!? (Invisible workouts? Not good! )

Lieke – Appréciez votre voyage en Hollandes! (or something… my French isn’t completely 100% - please ignore my grammar! )

Had an excellent workout today (back and abs mostly), I really took out everything on the lat pulldowns – and I love that exercise! It’s something about lifting and pulling heavy weights with my arms that make me feel really strong… And I like that!

Have a great Friday everybody!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #26  

Default Funny Friday

My husband rejoined the gym this week, and went to work out last night, he came home pooped. He is also still sick and in my opinion not eating right, but anyway, he is glad he has broken the inertia. Next Friday, we are both going, for me a tough sell, I hate to work out after work. But for true love I will do it.

L2L - You are really pressing some weight and obviously from the test results it is paying off. I have noticed my posture is much better lately, no matter how small the improvement, I only want to get getter.

LANAII - food or exercise, I know what you mean, I am adding some more protein to my diet, the recovery phase has been whipping me at 3 pm, nodding off at my desk, can't be the boredom. I am staying on track to not eat my way out of it.

Hiking I hope this weekend unless we get a ton of rain, and then lots of knitting, I am hoping to get some mittens done for all the kids.

Liza
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #27  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all,

I've decided to add yoga into my daily routine because I am so damn inflexible it is starting to piss me off. I went to my kickboxing class on Tuesday and realized that I can't kick very high at all. If anyone has any tips/suggestions for helping to become more flexible, please let me know, I really need it.

Yesterday was a weird day, I wasn't hungry at all and had to force myself to eat. I maybe ate 600 calories and I'm not sure what was going on. Today I am fine so far, I ate an egg white omelet with canadian bacon.

mette - something that has always seemed to happen to me in the past is I get sick. I know it sounds trivial but I would be on a great exercise plan, losing weight, etc and then all of a sudden I would get sick and it'd throw me off. My immune system apparently isn't the greatest because last year I was probably sick with some kind of flu or something 6 times and I'm not talking about a day or 2, it would last a couple weeks. Anyway, I would get sick and then I'd stop exercising and I'd never go back. Since I started exercising back in May, I have only been sick once which lasted only a couple days and which stopped me from going to the gym 2 days. After I felt better, I was right back at the gym. I won't let something like that stop me again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #28  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello - all - yes, I'm still lurking, but working back into posting more. I've decided to try South Beach for a month or so to give myself a bit of a kick-start and get myself back on track. So, I'm sure I'll have questions for you SB'ers here, and I've been checking out that forum as well.

About flexibility, Nelie - I've learned the hard way, through having to have physical therapy, that stretching to maintain flexibility is as important as weight lifting or cardio. So now, after cardio, I spend a good 15-20 minutes stretching myself, and I also stretch on lifting days, once my muscles are warmed up. So, I think it's great that you've decided to become proactive about it!

Ilene, my workouts have been "invisible" as well - maybe we can motivate each other to get back into it. I've also added ab workouts M/W/F, which I was being good about until I started skipping the gym!

L2L - you're a motivation to me as well - keep telling us what you're doing so it will rub off on us!

Well, got to get back to work. I'll be spending my weekend researching and planning for my SB Phase 1 - wish me luck!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

OK I have to out and admit it ... I have no idea what those numbers with times signs between mean. L2L ??
I thought that if, for instance, I do three sets of twelve concentration curls with five pounds it would read like this .....3x12x5 lbs
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote