Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #1  
Oooo Silly Me!

Default Body Measurements and Charts Question

Hello there, I've been posting for a while on Fatchicks, just this is my first time in this forum area. I have a question. I'm not looking to really bulk up, I'm just concerned with having flabby skin while I lose weight. So I've taken up some weight lifting to firm things up. I wouldn't mind a nice toned body, I just wanna keep away the flab. I'm using Kathy Smiths video "Lifting Weights to lose weight" and I know as you gain muscle you will gain some weight but also loose inches. So I figured if I could find a measurement chart to keep track of my body measurements that would help me see that if I am loosing weight if I am also loosing inches in other areas of my body.

I was wondering… does anyone know where I can get a chart on the net that umm… I don’t know how to explain it. Basically what I want to do is take measurements of body parts (ie arms legs chest waist etc) and I know there is like a body chart that shows where to measure at and what areas should be measured, I just don’t know what they are called heheh. I did one when I had a membership at 24 hour Fitness and figured it would be a good thing to keep track of and thought this would be a great place to find out if anyone knows where there is one available to download or print out so that I can keep a journal of my success.

Thanks!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi SueMarie and welcome to LWL!

Let me start off by assuring you that you won't bulk up with weights. Lifting weights will definitely firm and tone up your muscles, kick your metabolism up, and give you a great shape after you've lost the fat ... but unfortunately weightlifting (or any exercise, for that matter) can't prevent you from having excess skin after losing a lot of weight. How your skin reacts to a large weight loss is going to depend on lots of factors, like genetics, your age, how much weight you lose, how long you've been overweight etc. You won't be able to tell how well your skin will tighten up until you lose all the weight and maintain your goal weight for at least six months to a year.

But -- you should still be working out with weights while you're losing for all those other great reasons!

Don't worry that you'll gain weight when you start lifing weights -- I sure didn't. Even though I was lifting as heavy as possible the whole time I was losing, the scale went only one way -- down. But it is certainly a wise idea to take your measurements every four weeks or so to track the inches that you lose. I found this page that talks about where and how to measure and perhaps you can make your own chart or spreadsheet using this info: http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts...530753,00.html

Be sure to let us know how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

suemarie: what meg said. you won't bulk up. you don't have the hormones for that. trust me.

but take a look at the pic that meg's posted somewhere around here comparing a pound of muscle and a pound of fat. and if THAT doesn't convince you, here's what motivated me <it came from a trainer>: each pound of fat burns 0 calories every day. each pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day.

i didn't care then - and i don't care now - if i bulk up. as long as the muscles contribute to my weight loss and maintenance, they can get as big and strong as they want!!!!

as for measurements, it doesn't matter so much if you're measuring an inch lower or higher than the charts recommend. what IS important is that you measure yourself at the same place every time so that you can get a good comparison over time.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #4  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Meg! I guess I should have been more specific. Yeah I understand that it won’t help get rid of the flab but it helps a lot more than not doing a thing. I understand I’m gonna have to flappies going on. I just wanna minimize as much as I can. I used to lift weights when I played softball in high school… It would be nice to firm up some of me hehehehe… I just wanna avoid plastic surgery at all costs. I know I’m a big gal…I can live with some flab as long as it is not to extensive. But you are right, I won’t be able to tell til I get there… but I know this is the road I want to go down that’s for sure. That link you sent me is great! At least now I know what to measure *grins* That’s also the lady whose video I have. It’s a really good video… I haven’t had a problem getting through all 47 minutes of the video, but I’ve been using 2 and 3lbs weights… slow slow… then Eventually I will increase. Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I’ll definitely keep everyone posted. I’ll be hanging around this forum for a while… lurking or what not

Jiffypop – lol… well I guess what I really meant was, I wasn’t like hard core into lifting weights to the point of where I look like the ladies that compete in that area. I would just like to eventually one day in the futre be firm and tone. And run away from any scalpels LOL for as long as I can possibly bear it. I pretty much gave up looking for one of those charts and the link that Meg gave me, I copied the info and I am making my own little log book that will help me keep track of my weight, how many miles I walk, or how many minutes of exercise I do, and of course my measurements. With the miles and exercise minutes, I figured it would be nice to jot down so I can set a goal for the following month to at least increase it by say 2 or 3 miles a month and such. I think I saw the pound of fat and pound of muscle link a while back, or maybe on the net somewhere… not exactly a nice picture, but the thought really does stick! Thanks for the info!

Thanks ladies!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #5  
Meg

Here's the fat vs. muscle photo you're talking about :
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:35 PM   #6  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello There!

Meg – Yes, that’s the picture I’ve seen. I think there’s something like that at my University Health Station as well.

Jack – Thank you. I learned about the Members Gallery the other day. Someone mentioned for me to put my before and after pictures in there and I was looking around and saw your pictures. You definitely worked hard as you have said! I’m curious tho, did you like many of the people I’ve talked to have the plastic surgery after loosing weight? I know it may be inevitable but I’m trying my hardest to not have to go that route. Thank you for your words of inspiration with me. I like that saying “Acta non Verba” I can use that with my fiancé as well… he’s a procrastinator *grins*

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

Jack It's kewl... I don't think I will ever be done either. Must maintain! If I stop it will come back. I just finished posting my pics in the gallery here. I plan on printing them out as well and posting them on my fridge so everytime I go there to snack, I'll see it and get re-motivated.

Take care! Have fun at the gym.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #8  
Kitchen Floor

Hello SueMarie. I think this http://www.mybodycomp.com/ is the sort of web site you are looking for - it tells you what to measure and tells your body fat percent and you can save your past measurements and even compare them.
linoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Lino -- Great site, thanks... I'll play around with it later...TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #10  
Oooo Silly Me!

Lino - Hey that's a really kewl site. I made an account. I pretty much gave up on looking for a chart to download, this site will be a great add for my journal keeping.

Thank you so much!
Old 07-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #11  

Hi SueMarie,
Here is a printable body measurement chart if your interested.
http://www.bodyfirm-********.com/female_chart_1.pdf
Please post frequently on any of the LWL Forum Boards. Happy to have you
Blessings
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to second what jiffy said, I don't care if I gain weight/bulk up/etc etc as long as I lose the fat, not that most women can naturally become "bulky" without help (steroids). I am using 45 lb plates at the gym for certain exercises and 15-25 lb dumbbells for other exercises. It is truly an awesome feeling. I figure when i get to a good body fat percentage, if I happen to have more muscle than I want to have, i'll just slow down on the weight lifting. Anyway, good luck to you
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #13  
Oooo Silly Me!

L2L - thanks for that chart! It's nice I appreaciate it!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #14  

SueMarie,
Your most welcome!
My Pleasure

XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote