Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Larger sized Bra question/Boob rant

I wasn't sure where to post this since it isn't about plus sized clothes, and it isn't a question limited to featherweights or twenty somethings. I have big boobs, which have grown a cup size a year since I was fourteen or fifteen. They are now a 32E, and I am having an IMPOSSIBLE time finding a supportive bra that actually fits and that I can actually afford (broke college student), let alone that isn't a "granny" bra that I can't wear with half my clothes. All sports bras smoosh them to the point of pain or are lose around my rib cage. Right now I'm wearing 34 and 32 DDDs, but getting a bad double boob effect. The 34 band does not fit right, because my rib cage only actually measures about 26 inches ( Even at my heaviest of about 180-190 some, it was only 27. My boobs were smaller so I looked more balanced then I do now. The only meat on my ribs is boob, it looks really odd). I'm willing to track down a sewing pattern and make my own, but the only bra patterns (well, ok, bikini but I can do some changes) I can find at local stores are for A-C. Or if there are any brands that might come in my size

Does anyone have any suggestions? My back hurts, my clothes looks odd, and I'm frustrated beyond belief with these things. Also, does anyone happen to know how much a boob might weigh?
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #2  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I feel your pain! I struggled with a large chest for a long time, started adding cups in high school and just kept through college. By my junior year in college I was a 36DDD/F, and after losing some weight I ended up at a 34H! I wore a lot of ill-fitting 38DDs that I'd altered to fit (bringing the band size down), and learned to shop carefully. In Dec '03 I had a breast reduction, which was probably one of the best decisions of my life! I'm now a 36C, and the relatively minor scarring is well worth the fact that I can run and jump and use a clipboard and do all sorts of normal stuff that was a major hassle with an additional 6 pounds on my chest! (The surgeon removed 3 pounds from one side and 3.25 from the other!)

As you've obviously learned, the options for bras above DD-cup are slim, and above DD along with a small band size are almost impossible to find. I found a few F-cup bras at Dillard's, but beyond that the internet was indispensible. The biggest problem with this is that fit varies within the same size, so you almost have to be able to try on a lot to get ones that will fit well.

My favorite source for big bras was figleaves.com. They have a free return policy which works as well as you can ask with online purchase (Order 3-4 that seem promising, try them on, send some or all back for a full refund, including shipping. Repeat.) Fantasie and Goddess were my favorite brands a few years back, but things fit differently on every body, so you'll learn what works for you in time. Fantasie even has some darn pretty stuff in sizes up to 32F. I've also used biggerbras.com and braexperience.com - it takes work to find a good fit, but it's well worth it when you find a good bra!

One more comment - as I'm sure you know, the sizing becomes interesting once you leave D behind. Each brand seems to do their own thing... some use D, E, F, G straight through; some use D, DD, E, F... some D, DD, DDD, E, etc. Check the sizing charts for each brand against your measurements, since a DDD in one brand will be an F in another, and F in the first will therefore be an H in the second!

Good luck!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #3  

Default A thread that MAY help..

This thread is more in relation to sports bras, but maybe you can find some useful info.:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42500
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #4  
sfj

I found this site sewsassy
you can buy the pattern and the kit (includes everything but the pattern) or just the pattern.
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

There ARE 32 E's out there, but they are hard to find. I talked to the ladies at the bra store for a friend (who was a 32G when nursing) and they said often the best route for hard to fit like that (they DONT make 32G non underwire nursing bras) is to buy a 34 E or whatever fits your cup size best and then have the band tailored. Since you sew, that may be easier than making your own. Fitting underwires is a PITA. Just take in the band on the bras you can buy.

Frankly with your rib size, I would guess you are actually closer to a 30 than a 32.

I'm a 34G formerly 34H so I know your pain.

As for cheap...eeeks, I'm going to say that cheap bras even in the supposedly right size do not fit or support. I was a 34DD before this last kid and 34DD at target gave zero support and horrible double boob. And yes. Above DD bras are ugly. Even the ones they try to make cute.

You wear a bra everyday....dont be afraid to invest in a good one. It will do more for your figure than jeans or shirts. You can make them last longer by handwashing, and if you can tailor, taking the band in again when they stretch.

Here is a site that has A LOT of bras in sizes as low as 30DDDD
www.barenecessities.com
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #6  

bravissimo.com

Tons of bras for small bodies, big chests. Not cheap, but in specialty sizes nothing is cheap.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

a girl i work with swears by Fredericks of Hollywood. I think you'll just have to accept the fact that a good bra costs some cash. I'm too big a band side for them, but they have cuter stuff and honestly are kind of there for women who purposely have big boobs, not those of us naturally blessed.*L*
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'd love to find something online ... if I could find a couple really good fitting ones ... when I need new, I could just send away for a couple. Do most of the online sites have return policies? Try 'em on and trade til you get the right one? Canadian would be great but it's not too much different to order from the States.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

susan...some of them have pretty good return policies. I've done it with sports bras. As long as you dont remove the tags usually they will take them back for exchange, but not necessarily refund. And of course you end up paying shipping, but bras are cheap to ship.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I agree that you should check the size charts-in many brands a D is a D, a DD can also be called an E (if the brand goes straight through the alphabet), and a DDD can also be called an F.

I would recommend going to online shops!

Also, if you know anyone who sews well, it might benefit you to have them MAKE you some tops. There are really cute patterns out there now. (I sew)
It is very easy for someone who knows how, to make the waist and sleeves a size 6, and the bust/bodice of the top a size larger, like an 8. This would really help you out it seems.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I love Anita bras, and they do go to a 32 - but they are expensive. Worth every penny to have a nice fitting bra though.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #12  

OK ... I spent way too much time in the last two days, with a tape measure, various bras and the internet ... I ordered two from Victoria's Secret. I'll let you know how it went.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I was checking on some sizing, and it seems that MOST brands overlap the size charts-as in DD=E, DDD=F, and DDDD=G.

If the 32DDD is a little too tight on you in the cup-I would recommend searching eBay for a 32DDDD! I just went there, and found some great ones there! I would also in your size (I am a DD) look for thicker straps-not the little flimsy Victorias Secret type...they don't hold up the weight of big breasts for long without stretching out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-New-Le-Myste...QQcmdZViewItem

Check this auction out-this is a really good brand, and a great deal...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

wow,thank you for all your responses!
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #15  

I love ebay! The prices are fabulous. Just as soon as I find what fits ... I'll be there!