Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #16  
Mel

Hi Kearie,
First, congratulations on your loss so far! Most gyms offer a introductory session when you join. For the gym, this is their big opportunity to try to sell you personal training, but if you are persistent enough at asking questions, you can make it into an information session where a trainer will take you around and show you how to use the machines and hopefully free weights. Be prepared for either a hard sell, or far too much information to absorb in 1 session, tho. It is a little easier if you go armed with specific questions, like: show me 3 exercises for my triceps, 3 for my biceps, the proper form for a lat pull-down (back), proper form for a freebar squat. Or ask them to set up a weight circuit for you which would give you a full body workout, or ask for an upper body/lower body split workout.

Another great source of information is the Krista Smash site: www.stumptuous.com (I hope that's right). Also look at the top of this forum where MrsJim has posted a sticky about how to get started with weights.

Also, feel free to ask questions here: most of us are long-time gym regulars and I'm a certified trainer.

Mel
Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Kearie -- Welcome!! We LUVS newbies!!

(they've made me the welcome wagon lady, I hafta do this for all the newbies ... But I luv doin' it! )

Mel said it all... But here is the site for Krista Smash...http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
Very informative site...

You've come to the right place for weight training info we're a great bunch of gals if I do say so myself...
Old 05-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #18  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey, does anyone know the scoop behind what happened with Muscle Media and Energy magazines? Apparently they've just disappeared!
Cindy
Old 05-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #19  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Popping to see if Ms. Jim watched Colonial House last night? I saw it. So sad! But my very favorite part was the girl (I can't remember if it was Bethany or Julie) that talked about milking the goats as the sexy milkmaid job. I laughed by butt off.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Godess! Nice to see you!

Cindy - I had heard that too about a month ago but I don't know the reason, MM was one of my fav magazines...
Old 05-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat
Hey, does anyone know the scoop behind what happened with Muscle Media and Energy magazines? Apparently they've just disappeared!
Cindy
Cindy - on the MM webpage there's a note...

Quote:
Muscle Media Magazine has ceased publication, and will no longer be taking new subscriptions or renewals. In our continuing effort to provide education and inspiration to EAS’ customers, we will instead be concentrating on providing education and inspiration to our many loyal and valued customers through other means. If you are a current subscriber of Muscle Media, you will be receiving information in the mail within 30 days, which will contain information on obtaining a refund. For customer service questions please call 1-800-297-9776.
Now this is just MY OPINION, but I'm thinking that EAS is trying to make themselves more attractive to a potential buyer...by streamlining things a bit. Oftentimes, periodicals can be money-losing propositions. (and speaking for myself, I haven't really found anything that great in either magazine the last few times I've browsed through it.) There are a LOT of fitness-related magazines out there competing for the subscribers AND the advertisers - some are bound to fall by the wayside. Just my two cents.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica
Popping to see if Ms. Jim watched Colonial House last night? I saw it. So sad! But my very favorite part was the girl (I can't remember if it was Bethany or Julie) that talked about milking the goats as the sexy milkmaid job. I laughed by butt off.
Ya know, I am SO ticked at KQED (our local PBS station) right now...they're showing Colonial House from 9-11 pm. As you all probably know, I'm usually in bed by 9 pm and we don't have Tivo...arrggh.

I did watch Frontier House again over the past week or so though! Hopefully they won't end up with a Clune-type family on CH!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 PM   #23  

Wow, Cindy! I was wondering too where my mags are. I checked the Mag Rack for them at Kroger last week too. Thanks for the info, Mrs. Jim. Bummer. Big Bummer.

Welcome Kearie! Congrats on your weight loss, and I think you are making the right move into weight lifting. I was 208# when I started and the results are remarkable.

Well, we went to the gym and I murdered my legs which were hurting already from bending over landscaping for the past 2 days. I 'spect I'll be real sore in the AM.

Just watched about a half hour of Colonial House. The reality shows never appealed to me. Watching Oprah's experience was enough.

Well, off to bed. Damn, I'm bummed about MM and Energy. Well, there's still Shape. Anybody have any other reco's? I haven't perused any of the other hard body mags.

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 05-18-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #24  
Meg

Hi Kearie and welcome!

Just a sec to report back on my Ohio trip yesterday. I drove through terrible storms and flooding and managed to stare down the Krispy Kremes as they lounged seductively in all their cream-filled glory at the gas station (and no, there aren’t any other gas stations in the middle of Nowhere, Ohio ). I even managed to do a half-assed arm workout and 30 minutes of cardio when I got home.

But now I can’t wake up!! And I still have to unload my car. Remind me to count the pairs of shoes as I unpack them — and these aren’t even all of them! Most everything still has to come home on Saturday.

One interesting note: we went to lunch at Ruby Tuesday’s. They have a new menu with the nutritional info for EVERY item on the menu — fat/protein/carbs/fiber. That was really eye-opening! I figured that I’ve been at this diet stuff long enough to be able to read a menu and spot the “good” choices, but in some cases, I was way off. Like in the sandwich section, the highest calorie sandwich was a turkey club (almost 1200 calories!), not a bacon cheeseburger. I would have picked the club over the cheeseburger any day.

I was also struck by how high the calorie counts were for everything on the menu — way more than I would eat for a meal at home. When I looked at those little breakdowns, I saw the reason — the fat content of everything is very high, boosting the total calories. I’ve always heard that restaurants add fat to everything to make it taste good and I guess this is the proof. Even an ordinary “grilled chicken breast” is double the calories than one from home. So more evidence that it’s really tough to eat clean when you’re on the road.

OK — the plan for today: major coffee , cardio, house cleaning , phone calls, back workout groceries, cook dinner.

Have a great day, all!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #25  

Good Morning LWL and Mr. Jack!

I didn't sleep well because my legs were hurting, but I've kept moving until now. I hope to squeeze in a nap today. But ya know what? I came home from the gym walking taller and staighter, and same for this morning. I'm glad Meg mentioned a slight scale increase the other day AFTER 1300 calories of absolutely clean and a beneficial work-out. I was up 1.2# this morning also, but took it lightly. Today I will strive for as low-fat as possible in my eats, but hard to do when your pumping in the protein some times. Easy-paced cardio only today, that's for sure.

Hey Jack - Be careful on that bike trip and safe passage. Hope your time with your brother is joyful.

Hi Meg - I worried about you yesterday as I watched what was moving across Ohio. Don't know about you, but I hate to drive in the rain any more, slow or fast. I trust myself, but not the other guy or those semi's.

More rain today although it's not at the moment, but I'm not doing any landscape work today. I haven't done laundry for over 2 weeks and it's getting out of hand. Also I need to clean our walk-in closet -a good dusting and vacuuming back into the corners. Errands and groceries, and maybe a poodle bath or 2. And all the little things in between. Supper tonite will be turkey chili and salad.

Hope everyone has a safe and JOYFUL day. (My latest thing inspired by an Oprah column is about joy - finding something fun in everything. But of course she was talking about staying up til 7AM partying with John Travolta - like I wouldn't?)

dip
Old 05-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Meg - I was at Ruby Tuesday's last week and noticed the new menu. I ended up getting an appetizer instead of a meal, a chicken/whole wheat half pita dealy with only 200 cals. You are absolutely right about the fat added. You are also right about Krispy Kremes being at the gas stations on the highway. Everywhere I stop between Detroit and Knoxville has those little buggers.

Dip - Great job on whipping your legs to a pulp. They will bounce back stronger than ever.

Jack - I wish I could see your brothers face when he sees you!

Hiya to everbody else. I got the last of the rotting grass up and into my trash can. It was disgusting BUT it gave my son an idea for next year's science fair. This year he researched the effect of sodium, sugar and caffeine on urine (we spent WAY too much time collecting "samples" and shining flashlights through them). For next year he wants to see how long different things take to start breaking down, rotting and growing "fur." Yes, he's a typical gross boy.

I have a date with the track for this evening. Got an ankle wrap so hopefully I won't re-injure myself. I miss the endorphins and the weather right now is PERFECT for evening running.

Peace. Tiki.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #27  
Meg

Maybe Karen's keeping him away from us on purpose? He's a hottie!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:56 AM   #28  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Hi all, I'm back from NC. I had a great time and my SIL was encouraged to lose weight. She had lost 40 lbs a year ago, but gained it back when my brother got deployed and she started getting scheduled at inconsistent times for her job. She's going to get back to healthier eating and plan workouts around her schedule.

Unfortunately, I wasn't as good an inspiration as I could have been, since I ate tons of crap while I was there. I'm up about 5 lbs. Oh well - back to reality. Hopefully the weather will be nice and I can go running tonight. I haven't gone for quite a few weeks; weather has to be perfect for me to like running. 55 F is too cold, 75 F is too hot, and no precipitation. Actually, I've never gone running in the rain - so maybe I'd like it. (Would you, could you, on a train? Would you, could you, in the rain? No thanks, Sam I Am.)

So, anyway, good to see people getting back on track - I'll be joining y'all there. Good luck on the race, Jack!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #29  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good morning LWL! Just wanted to pop in and say "hi!"

I've been a bit lax with food lately - thinking that it's a result of hitting some milestones - kind of like Tiki did - what is it about us that we mess with ourselves this way? I'm happy to have hit 185, so why would I then want to eat in the evenings and mess with that??? I'm thinking I need some Dr. Phil to help me figure that out...

In the meantime, I'll be keeping myself out of the grocery store and will try to knock it off. It's only an evening thing at this point, so I need to find things to keep me busier at night.

Well, need to get back to work - hope everyone's week is going well.
Cindy

PS - Jill, I've been meaning to ask - where in Michigan are you from? I'm a Michigan native - grew up in Port Huron, went to Mich. Tech, and have lived in Holland and Albion as well. Moved to upstate NY in 2001.

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 05-20-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #30  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well JEEZ guys - haven't I posted photos of Jim before?

Here's another photo of him playing his bass - when he was with his old Beatles cover band "The Sun Kings" a couple years ago...

Cindy - the evenings are the *worst* time of the day for me. I really have to fight the food demons! Practicing 'environmental control' helps quite a bit - if I don't have the red light stuff in my house, then I can't eat it can I? The best days are when I have a riding lesson after work - I don't get home until 7:30 or so, then it's just a quick bite and off to bed...also, brushing and flossing as soon as I finish eating helps A LOT - getting the taste of food out of my mouth and signaling to my brain that eating time is over!

We don't even HAVE Ruby Tuesday's around here. It sounds a lot like TGI Friday's or Appleby's though. I wonder if having the calorie count listed stops a lot of folks from ordering? It would definitely work with me...

Today was a cardio-only day. I'm feeling pretty good! Today is the last day of my meeting, then I can relax. until the next meeting that is...

Dip - didja see Dr. Phil on Monday? I knew it was on, but missed it because Jim wanted to watch "Motown 45" which turned out to be a total drag - the Funk Brothers were on it, but Jim was disappointed because I guess they didn't focus much on the group (BTW - the Funk Bros. are the guys who played on all of those great classic Motown hits in the 60's and early 70's - bassist James Jamerson is a MAJOR influence for my Jim - the film Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a tribute to them.). So I missed Dr. Phil for nothin'! They were supposed to kick someone out of the WLC weren't they? The website doesn't say much though. Have you been watching Deadwood? This week's episode was the BEST yet, IMO. And I still haven't gotten to see Colonial House as yet. I don't watch a lot of reality shows - it's the historical aspect of this that appeals to me. I'm more interested in the life of the 1800's pioneers, but still, early American history is pretty cool too. Ah well - with three local PBS stations, I'm SURE I'll catch it eventually.

I haven't bought any fitness mags in eons - I find pretty much the same info online (besides, I have a nasty habit of NOT tossing mags...). Oxygen is not too bad, although it focuses more on fitness competitors. Muscle & Fitness is pretty good - both the regular one and 'Hers' (I think they're just calling it "Hers" now - not sure though).

Welcome Kearie! Nice to see ya here! As Ilene sez, we luvs newbies!!!

Well...looking at the clock and I've gotta run downstairs and across the street to check on my meeting in a few minutes, so need to wrap this up...
Closed Thread