Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #16  

I am doing a low-carb eating program, mainly a hybrid of Protein Power and Atkins. I have lost 25 lbs thus far Yes, I was bad and have not been to the gym since November I hurt my elbow, plus work got busy, and I have not had the motivation to return. I got this DVD program designed for LC eaters, so I am translating the exercises to the gym. Plus it gives a modified LC plan, basically, not counting veggies as carbs, and adding back in some low-glycemic carbs. I know this will work with me exercising again. It has just been hard to get back to it!

Robin
Old 04-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #17  
JEC
Aussie and proud

thanks for the support guys - I appreciate it.

JC
Old 04-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #18  
Meg

Happy Tuesday, LWL and Jack — glad to see you here too!

I’m still under the influence of some mighty powerful pain killers, so apologies if I sound ...

All these new photos are great! Ilene, wow! You are definitely making a lot of progress, especially in your back and tummy. Being the Cardio is melting you away and all those pretty muscles are showing up. And size 8 pants on top of that! You must be on !

And the new Dip collage — there’s not much more I can say since it speaks for itself. Incredible changes in the past seven months. Dip, may I have your legs please? Can’t wait to see Cindy’s pictures! Unfortunately, DH didn’t take any photos of me in my mummy wraps or else I’d have something to post too. Anyone else have photos to post, even if it’s just to put a name and face together?

JC — hugs on that dreadful mess at work. It sounds like you’ve made the right decision for you but it’s really a shame that you have to leave your job due to that @#%^. You’re lucky that you’ve got such an understanding and supportive DH (did I mention that he’s kinda cute too? )

Jack — can’t tell you how much I miss seeing you on the cross-trainer every day. About the cardio and weights — I think Anne and Tiki’s got it right — do whatever works for you. I know you’re usually at the gym twice a day and what I would do is split it up, like Mel suggested: weights one time and cardio the other. Or weights and brief cardio one time and long cardio the other since you’re the Cardio King. About a belt — the only thing I use one for is deadlifts, nothing else (and that’s just because I can lift more with a belt on those). Otherwise, I (incoherently) agree with Mel about strengthening your core muscles.

OMG, Anne, I’m a dessert person too! And there’s a part of me (OK, a lot of me) that just wants to dive headfirst into a pool of chocolate and spend a few days wallowing around and comfort-eating. Which would be the worst thing I could do right now since I’m inactive. So I’m in with you on your month of clean eating.

to both Robins! Elasky — glad you’re back in the groove. Hey Tidey girl, don’t stay away again!

I went back to the doctor’s to be de-mummified yesterday and to see for the first time what he did on Friday. My arms are swollen but look really tight and defined — bat wings are G-O-N-E. On my legs, he said that he was able to get a lot more excess skin off, especially from around my knees. I have internal stitches and yards of surgical tape that looks for all the world like masking tape (but undoubtedly costs much more), but no staples this time.

And that means that I have to be extremely careful not to pull or stress any of the incisions while they’re healing since there’s not much holding the incisions together in some very high-stress areas. These are all going to be visible scars and the goal is to have them heal as inconspicuously as possible. The bottom line is: no shower until Thursday and no bending my knees for three weeks. I can lie down or walk stiff-legged but no driving! and stairs and sitting are tricky.

Nonetheless, I’m going to be the best possible patient while all this heals — I haven’t come this far only to screw it up now. So Ilene, my bud, you're going to have to keep up on legs for both of us for a while. It sounds like we had a GREAT workout yesterday and I’ll bet we'll be feeling it today (heck, my legs hurt already! ).

What's everyone up to today?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Good Morning LWL and Jack!

Thanks for the encouraging words girls! I feel a little and and on about it all! Now I know EXACTLY what some of you girls feel when you worry about waking up and having gained all of it back over night! I swear I'm going to try those pants on again today just to make sure they fit!

Dip -- Just wanted to come back to you to mention what your DH said about the loose skin issue. Think of all the $$ you will save with no and you just may be able to afford it... Isn't your coming up soon take the $$ instead of gift and run to the bank to open a "skin removal account"... Your progress collage is awesome!

RobinBB - Yes I remember about your plan now and your elbow... Good luck with it, and come back and tell us about it more often...

Meg -- At least you can bend your fingers and keep in touch with us... Your coherence seems the same as usual, but is that a good thing?!

Today is shoulders and ... Its all good it's sunny so that should melt the dang snow!!

Eats time, clean the joint then off to the gym...

Hi to the rest of the gals...

Back later!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #20  

Good morning!!

I know I have been terrible about posting!! I read a lot of boards....guess I just need to pick a few to post on I will definitely keep you all updated of how I am doing.

Since I have been away for a while, what eating plans are you all following (if any?)

Robin
Old 04-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #21  

Hi All!

My bad for not stopping back last night and keeping up with you all, but I was sooo busy, and thus, accomplished much.

MEL - first thing I have to say is that your clients who cancel have no respect for *themselves* - it has nothing to do with you. They haven't yet learned, and will hopefully learn it soon, that no matter what, they need to put themselves first which starts with their health and work-outs. Since getting healthy and fit is the In Thing currently, I suspect we'll see many signing on with a PT half-heartedly, and half-assed.

JC - You did good, girl by weighing it all out and making a decision before the problem got the best of you. Fortunate you are in a position with a supportive partner (and cute) that you could resign without dragging it on for weeks or even months. About forgiveness, even if he the jerk, is nothing to you, it's the spirit of the action that will help you get over the ordeal, and may even open a bigger door. Many years ago I was fired from a job that I was unjustly accused of something. Actually, the person who did the accusing was the actual perpetrator and I was used as a scapgoat when she got caught. I was pissed to say the least and harbored some bad feelings. I had applied for several new jobs, but nothing was coming of it. After about 2 weeks and funds running low, I began to pray the Lord's Prayer and got to the part about forgiveness. I chose to forgive that evil woman because she was just that, and it wasn't up to me to deal out any punishment, while my resentment was eating me up. I felt relief immediately, and not 2 minutes later the phone rang with the job offer that ended up changing my life, and put me on a successful career path. (karma)

Ilene - You have done fabulously this "first quarter". You give me hope that some day the rest of my fat will be gone and I too can have a physique like yours, as well as your work-out discipline! Aha! I see you've posted already this AM while I've had this in the writing stage for an hour while doing other things. Girl, I am just learning how to be a saver, and bascially stop wasting money on stuff we don't need. I have a garage full of garage sale items to demonstrate my past spending behavior. But you got me to thinkin' that just maybe, with this newly found self-control, I can set up a PS account for myself. I haven't given up looking for a part-time job, just not being aggressive about it now that sailing season is here.

Cindy - No reason to be jealous - let's resolve to work a little harder the next few months. Thanks for doing the progress collage - and THAT in itself makes me realize that I still have a loooong way to go. My butt and belly seem like they'll never give up the fat. I would love to make a reverse collage, blow it up into a poster and hang it in a high school girls' gym lockerroom with the caption - "Don't let this happen to you!" I was just looking at your photo album again, and you have done a marvelous job yourself. Anxiously awaiting the currents.

Meg - "bat wings?" Yep, that about describes it, and I am totally thrilled for you that you see your arms tight already. For someone on painkillers at 4:30AM you sound pretty good, darlin'! It would be nice to see you use this 'down time' for some more pearls of wisdom throughout the forums. BTW, I would have loved to have seen pics of you in the mummy wraps!

Well, I better get off of here. Today is the first mowing of the grass, and more tree/limb clean-up. I started a new 8 week program yesterday, the one that was in March Shape mag, both the lifting and cardio. I don't know if I'm hurting from the work-out or the limb hauling, but I hurt just about every where. I'm also going to have to watch my eating because I get outside, involved, and then come back in ravenous. Just a reminder of the ever changing adjustments, and to expect them with the seasons and the activities.

Hi to all! Have a great day, and I plan to come back later and do more catching up.

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 04-06-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

Jack -- Your post was cute! Love the chocolate factory story!

RobinBB -- I count calories basically at Fitday.com, TRYING, but not always succeeding, at staying 40P, 30C, 30F.... aiming for 1300-1500 cals/day....

Ok gots to go ...

Later...
Old 04-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

DIPSTER!! missed you by a few minutes!! Have a great day!!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all!

JC - congrats on making a decision and good luck on finding a new position. If the acctg. market there is anything like it is here in the D, you should be back at work in no time flat.

Meg - I have complete faith that you will NOT stress your stress points. I don't think there really is a limit to what you can do when you put your mind to it. You can probably move a rubber tree plant

Mel - The trainers at my gym charge a rate based on XX dollars for XX sessions. If a client no-shows without reasonable notice, the session is still recorded as used. I hope you have some type of way to be compensated as well.

Heya DIP!!!!! You blew my denial! I was trying to convince myself that it was still too early to mow grass, but you are right, it is time. I guess I have a date this weekend with my lawnmower.

Okay, I am totally losing it. Healthy food is all cooked up and in the fridge, and yet I still binged like a maniac last night. As I was scarfing down this, that and third, I was thinking about why and came up with 2 things - I miss eating all that crap and I am feeling out of control, which was also reflected in how my house looked. I stayed up last night and got my house back in order, made sure that I didn't bring any money into my office today and am back to journaling. I can't help but think about that Ray Stevens song from the 70s about the nighttime junk-food junkee "Good Lawd, ha mercy on me!"

Hey Hey to everybody else!

Peace. Tiki.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #25  

Hi everyone, just a shorty today as I am going to pick up Sweetheart in about 10 minutes..

JC, you made a very difficult but right decision. I guess that in your line of job pickings might not be easy, but still better that in other jobs. Don't forget to get a glowing reference, they will not dare give you anythng else anyway

Tika, the message was for you. The cat IS wacky but not called Tika (Masja, in fact) haha.

It took me about an hour to read through all your mail, lots of things to say after the weekend. Had my first real day at work, today was off but had lots to do. on the way back I took the wrong train and would not have made it home at all (not many trains at that hour, the last one had gone...) except for a very nice girl who offered to take me back to the village (15 miles either way).
So now I've gained a friend, too, as we are going to go for a coffee after easter (my treat of course!), Yay!
Did a heavy workout today, as gym will be closed over easter (Back + deadlifts, chest and abs). I figured having gone hiking on sunday for 3 hours + walking to and from stations 70 minutes, cardio could go hang today (but not tomorrow).
Tomorrow the great Peugeot rechecking campaign for Belgium (look up on the map, it's about as big as a poststamp on a sumo-wrestler's butt), and i'm going to be the lady with the bad (but not too bad) news, hehe. Am enjoyng myself already.

Hang in there, Jack-and-the-ladies!

Greekgirl, lost in France....
Old 04-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #26  

Hi everybody! I'm just going to dive right in ...

Dip, how 'bout stashing an apple in your pocket or next to your clippers so that you can stave off starvation when you're outside? As I recall, you don’t each much fruit, but I was trying to think of something that’s portable and doesn’t need refrigeration. I suppose a protein bar would work as well. Just a thought. And my little lumberjack, you’re doing fab, you know. And we’ve got the pictures to prove it.

JC, there’s little I can add to what’s been said other than I’m rooting for you. What a miserable awful set of circumstances. And now I’m curious about the reaction to your resignation. If this comes as a big shock to the owner/boss, then you’re certainly well out of there. But I wonder whether he has suspected there was a problem, and what he’ll do with the proof. As you would say, good luck mate!

Meg, do you mind if I help out with your workouts? If so, you’ll be happy to know that yesterday, we did the best UBWO that we’ve ever done. I lifted heavier weights than I’ve lifted since I was in my 20s. And you know what – I did just fine. I’m not even very sore this morning. It must have been the joint effort.

Ilene, about those Size 8s –

Jack, I don’t think I’ve introduced myself. Howdy!! Like several others, I, too, split up cardio and weights. I love cardio because I always feel so fabulous afterward. I spend about 45 minutes on the treadmill – usually first thing in the morning and usually about 5 times a week. I used to try to lift in the mornings as well, but there’s not enough time, and I don’t like to give up the cardio sessions. So, I joined the university gym and now I lift at lunchtime.

RobinBB, I think you’ll love the Pilates, but you may want to ease into it. Last week, I took my usual Pilates class, but I concentrated like I’d never concentrated before. I worked to my utmost. And man oh man, was I sore the next day. Don’t let anyone tell you that the resistance of your own body weight is insignificant. Great stuff. And for what it’s worth, I too read a lot of boards, but this is the main one I post on. It keeps me honest and in touch with everyone here, and with myself.

Tika, I remember that song! Keep humming along as you journal, and this too shall pass. I’m passing along a giant cyber

Howdy Greekgirl. Sorry it’s taken me until now to say hello and welcome.

Anne, good luck with the job search; Elasky, welcome back to the game – ain’t it great!; and Cindy, your furniture sounds great – loved the story about the legs – that sounds *exactly* like something I would do.

Finally …. oh my, I do go on … Mel, you have any thoughts on seated calf raises vs. standing? I’d never tried the seated variety before yesterday. Kinda funny contraption – the seat is pitched forward, and you put your feet up on a bar and then press against it. I could really feel it in my thighs, not my calves. Odd.

And that’s it … I gotta run. Hugs to all.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #27  

Hey Tika-tika - I was out of control last week, not so much on junk food, but too much food. Fighting like crazy yesterday and today to get a grip back on. Sooo, let's blame it on the moon. Just came in from mowing, and even did the push mowing because it started to cloud up, and I didn't want to wait for DH to get home. Dang! I should have gotten the weed whacker out to see if it's still as heavy as it was last year. Oh well, there's always next week. Have fun mowing, and pssst - don't wear white shoes.

Hey Ilene - sorry I missed you. Working today?

Hi Greekgirl! and all who haven't made it by yet today.

RobinBe - As for food plan, my body adjusts easily to what I do to it, so I have to fool if often with food as well as exercise. I thought I'd try upping my carbs every 4th day to shock it, and all it did was make me crave more carbs. I basically do the same as Ilene but strive for 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

I think I'm going to take a quick nap- check back later,

OOPS! Missed you Robin, of the Indiana variety! Duh, a protein bar would do it now, wouldn't it? Apples are a possibility but I try to stick to berries because fruit seems to make me carb cravey, (get it - carb cravey, as in carb crazy - never mind. My first time out, and I forget everything! You sound cheery, girlfriend! Any insight as to when you're going to start building?

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 04-06-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

New Product Update:

I bought a 4 pack of the new Dannon Lite and Fit carb control yogurt - vanilla cream flavor. I opened it up and tried it and was immediately taken back to a time when i was much younger, maybe 5 years old, in kindergarten. Back when, after all the really hard work was done, my favorite teacher, Miss Weigel, would pull out the arts and crafts supplies and we would make all sorts of amazing creations out of popsicle sticks and Elmers Glue. I remembered looking at the glue one day, swirling it through my fingers, sniffing it, and then when nobody was looking, taking a big taste of it. It wasn't too bad actually. Elmer's had a mildly sweet taste to it, not too thick to swallow, but nevertheless, it wasn't worth the namecalling I would be subjected to if I had gotten caught like James the Paintbrush Licker did.

This Dannon yogurt is exactly the same - same color, same consistency, same taste - and NOT worth the money, but the memories were kind of nice.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #29  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I tried to resign yesterday but the boss wouldn’t take it. He said that he didn’t want to lose me over this and wants me to take some more time to think about it. We spoke for about 1.5 hrs and I just let it all out and he was totally surprised that the whole situation had gotten to me the way it did. He said that he understood my position but that he wanted to try and find a better solution to the problem other than me leaving. He also said that this guy ‘wasn’t worth it’ to which I said it’s not about him it’s about his behaviour and it was completely unacceptable to me.

I promised him that I would take a day or two more to think about it but I am pretty solid in my decision still. I just see not benefit in me hanging around anymore – the thing is what is the advantage to me in this situation?

JC
Old 04-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #30  
Mel

TIK! I don't think they're going to want you to write ad copy for the new yogurt

Ilene- Congrats on the pants! Wow, you've made great progress in the last few months.

JC- Hope your decision brings you peace of mind and an easy job search.

Dip- You right about the clients not respecting themselves, but I still don't get paid. According to the gym policy, they get one no-show, then it's paid for time. But the policy isn't written anywhere, and I'm very non-confrontational. That may change.

Robin- The seated calf machine only works your soleus, and the standing or donkey calf machines work more parts. but it does a nice job on the soleus (creates that teardrop look). I've wrenched my back a few times taking it off the rest, so I don't use it.

Hi everyone I missed- I'm STARVING!
later,
Mel

Oops, JC, you snuck in on me. Maybe your boss saying that the other guy wasn't worth it is an indication that his tenure is shortlived? Can you outlast him? If he weren't there, would you like the job? Or have you already mentally moved on? Lotsa questions, no answers
Closed Thread