Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #61  

Hello!

I had a question (or questions!) I have been low-carbing for a few months now, and have dropped 20 lbs I have never felt better, and I am eating more veggies than ever before. However, I need to get back into an exercise routine. I am wondering if it is ok to combine BFL exercise with LC eating. I know that weight training is highly recommended by most of the LC authors, so I know I need to get back into it.

Robin
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #62  

Personally, I was physically unable to get an effective lifting workout when I was doing extreme low-carb. If you are planning to lift while doing low-carb you may want to consider incorporating carbs into your pre- and post-workout meals to facilitate your workout. Your body will need the carbs for muscle growth and repair. Just my .02
Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 AM   #63  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello all!

Had a great, hard LBWO this morning. So much so that my legs buckled a bit each time I got off of a machine, and they still feel like rubber! I feel like part of the club now!

Did treadmill lunges today - only 2.5 minutes, but at an 8% incline. It's a start. My goal is to work up to 15 minutes or so, like some of you gals. Then I'll think about adding weights - right now I have to hang on for dear life - my back foot slipped off the end at least twice!

Not sure if I shared that my new approach is to *really* lift heavy - kind of new for me, as I tend to be wimpy about pushing myself too hard. My plan is that doing so will tap into some major calorie burning - may as well use all this lean mass for something!

I'll keep this short - hope everyone is doing well!
Cindy
Old 03-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #64  

Stopping by while on "break."

Hi Colleen - Glad to see your smiling face!

Hello Robin BeBe - been awhile, hasn't it? About lifting and low-carbing, there again, everyone's different. I just started back to low-carbing (1200 cals) because my weight loss stalled when I upped the protein and subsequently the carbs to balance out, and cals. I haven't found that low carbing hurts my lifting, but I make sure I have a protein shake right after lifting (afternoons) followed by a protein/carb real food meal. I don't lift to burn calories, but to build muscle. I burn fat with cardio. My lean body weight is around 135, and my daily protein gram intake is about 130g. Everybody's goals are different too. My goal has been ultimate weight loss while building as much muscle while doing it. I figure when I get to a decent BF% and weight, then I can concentrate on becoming buff. But I sure like to show off and carry 8 bags of groceries in each hand in one trip. Start out light and increase your weight as you go. Since being back to 1200 +/- cals, I sure have more energy than I did last month when I was doing an average of 1400. Good luck!

PS - Just how low of low-carbing are you talking about? I just realized that some people try to do 30g's a day. To me, low-carbing is about 100g's of low-gly carbs and whole grains, on a good day, with a max of 25g's of good fats.
dip

Last edited by diphthong; 03-03-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #65  

Hello ladies!
I had an amazing cardio workout last night! It felt sooooo good! I was sweating up a storm...a very pretty image I know So people talk about how after you exercise you have a rosey glow...Not me...I look like I am on fire and stay that way for at least an hour afterwards! Oh well.
Cindy - I'm in with you on the really forcing myself to lift heavy...a lot of the time I convice myself I'm lifting heavy (for me) but I know that I could probably add a little more.
Well I haven't had time to go back and read all the posts so this is gonna be a short one. Hi to everyone and have a great day!

Melissa
Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #66  
For my HEALTH...

Smile

Hi DIP thanks for the TIP

I already ordered those protein powders to give them a try.

I'm sure the other WLS ladies were happy to get that tip too.

Thanks for visiting. Talk to you soon. Your buddy--Pookie

P.S. All the CLEAN FOODS/exercise tips I am getting on this LWL forum will not only help me to lose weight before my surgery but will also hopefully help me to fight the dreaded "REGAIN" that often happens a couple of years after.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #67  

Good morning all!

Just popping in to say hi and to report that I had a most excellent cardio session this morning. According to my friend's pedometer, a little over 2.5 miles including an absolute bun-killing hill at the end. Food will look like this today:

6:30am: 6 macadamia nuts
9:00am: kashi cereal with low carb milk
11am: small apple with one string cheese
1pm: either chicken teriyaki or an atkins wrap from subway, or maybe one of the new salads
3pm: small tangelo and one string cheese
6pm: chicken cutlet wraps made with fontina cheese and proscuitto and roasted red pepper served with salad
9pm: not sure yet

Lots to do today, have a great day everyone!

Sabrina
Old 03-03-2004, 02:11 PM   #68  

dipthong.......I do about 30-40 carbs a day, most of them from veggies, cream, etc. My protein intake per day is about 100-150 grams, depending. I don't track fat intake, but it is a lot. I don't want to fuss with this WOE too much because it has worked so well for me.

I have been looking at one program, which is exercise/weight training based, but their LC program ups the carbs a bit, which I suppose I will have to do if I start to heavily lift again. It is called lowcarbexercise.com, run by Graeme and Kate Street. I just don't want to spoil a good thing!!

Robin
Old 03-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #69  
The Salad Guru

Tiki - a Kool-aid snob , you crack me up!

Susan- about JP, yes it's the eyes, and that calm and cool attitude did you see Signs, or Inventing the Abbots? or Gladiator, or 8mm for that matter?- i love all movies he's been in. and that one with the train yard- forget what that one's called, with Mark W. and Charlise Theron.
and I LOVE PETES WICKED STRAWBERRY BLONDE!! one of my favorite's, i'm not a regular beer drinker because of the calories and i don't want to get loopy- i got a 2yr old here and it only takes a couple i'm kind of a light weight. i've yet to try Sam Adams light. i'd love to try that Spotted Cow, next time i'm in Minnesota

About LC and working out........don't think i personally could do it, i lost weight on the Atkins but found i was tired a lot. You gotta have some more calories to burn if your working out regularly.

I gotta go to the gym tonight, i took a couple days off to get some stuff done at home, mostly with my husbands business and whatnot. Here's my new motivation---this morning i noticed how toned my quads are getting. I've noticed the arms for a while now but i tend to lose weight from the face down, like a candle would melt from the top . so my legs are the last place i see results--but today i noticed, lookin good!! now i'm psyched and i'm excited to hit the gym tonight. i'm gonna be SMOKIN by the end of the summer!!
-E
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #70  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Dip - traditionally low-carb refers to 30-40 gms per day or less. Yours would be moderate carbing as it mine (100-130gms per day).

My morning sucks - the criminal who robbed my neighbours place 3 weeks ago came back to take my car. Luckily I caught him in the middle of it and scared him off. I hate being freaked out like that - just the type of stress I don't need at the moment. I was scared to come to work and leave the house empty.

JC
Old 03-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #71  
Mel

Eek! JC, I'd be freaked too! Hope this guy is caught soon. I'd be scared to leave and scared to stay.

Just got back from the gym. Major leg day, plus biceps. Kind of weird combo, but I'm trying to get all my weight workouts into a compressed week. Leaving tomorrow afternoon to visit DD in Columbus, and will stop by and visit with Meg on the way. Just hope my sore throat does not develope into anything nastier- I don't want to infect western Pa and Ohio.

Need to keep this short- tons of laundry and cooking to do before I leave. So HI EVERYONE!

mel
Old 03-03-2004, 06:45 PM   #72  
Ilene the Bean

JC --- OMG !! How did that happen? Did you come out of your house and he was there taking the car? Good grief what is this world coming to?? It just makes me so angry!!! GRRR!! A few years back, up the street friends of ours had their van taken in the driveway while she was at home, she came to leave for work, it wasn't there and thought hubby had decided to take it, only to call hubby and he hadn't taken it, and it was there half an hour before when he left!

Elasky -- Your comparison of loosing weight like a candle is so true! I think most of us are like that too, I know I am... I have noticed too that the fat at the top of my knees is going away!... for us!

Mel -- Have fun on your trip!! No fair you've met Meg twice now, and we haven't yet!! Dang, I want my turn !!

RobinBB -- Hi welcome back, post more often!! Your input was always interesting...

Serina -- Just a couple of questions, if I may be so bold... How do 6 macadamia nuts keep you nourished for 2.5 hours? or a small tangelo and string cheese for 3 hours? I'd starve!! Are you following BFL? I can't remember.... Just curious....

Well I had a great leg workout today... by the end of it my hammies and quad where burnt toast!!!!!! Is all I can say.... Food is spot on these days so I'm pleased with that... OOOPS, I lied I had 4 squares of a Caramilk Bar, but the calories where still good ... WHew!! for Fitday!! I can always tweak a bit when I have somethint like that...

Well not much else so talk to you all later......
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #73  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Yep I walked outside to go to work and he was in the car trying to start it. He made some BS excuse about me calling for a tow at this address and then said he would check with his boss and ran off. I called the police straight away.

JC
Old 03-03-2004, 07:33 PM   #74  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Gang

RobinBeBe.....Im looking to do the same thing. Ive done 1 1/2 bfl challenges, and Im just not happy with my results. I did l/c for a while and lost quite a bit of weight, and have about 45 more lbs to go. Im looking to do a lower carb (under 100) per day with no starchy veggies and the BFL workouts. If you want a partner Id be more than happy to partner up with you, and see if this works for us.

The other Robin
Old 03-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #75  
JEC
Aussie and proud

RobinH - I absolutely love your avatar. It reminds me of my 2 Beagles.

As for the low carb - I have done and had good results but found that when I went back to eating carbs again I retained water worse than before I low-carbed. I now try and stick with a moderate balance similar to Meg's ratios of 40/25/35 - P/C/F which is about 160/100/60 per day and find that works best for a nice slow and steady loss.

JC
Closed Thread