Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:08 PM   #46  

Karen

thanks for posting the CP workouts! that is quite a lot of work you did -- pretty intense with the extra evening cardio too !! that second round was fairly recently too.

yes, i grew up in southern california, riverside to be exact, although l.a. and orange counties are more affected by the fires each year.

i hope you're having a good day Karen :-)

i'm on my way to a late workout........ i almost never workout in the evening, but i felt like a bit of a change today. i'll have a great workout after all these hours at the computer.

take care and i'll see you later,

adriana
Old 01-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #47  
Ilene the Bean

Oh my you girls are hard to keep up with !!

I haven't been to the gym since Sunday... Altho Sunday I had an awesome w/o with my buddy Lu which we've started to do, because I usually never go to the gym on Sat and Sun... this is just my own routine and it works for me... so Luane and I only work one body part, this week it was back... Wow... she is THE best little bobybuilder...because of my cold I haven't had the energy to exercise or even to eat... Firstly I can't taste or smell anything at all...and I'm NOT hungry at all... So I will let this week go by and next week is a new week...I can physically tell that I am loosing fat... It doesn't take long doesn't it??

Oh well a new week will start...

Later girls, I will keep lurking....

(my nose is sooooooooo sore from blowing it!!)
Old 01-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #48  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Talking Hi girls!

Wow where to start?

Adriana: I sit at a computer all day as well but then again I play sport, plus I go to college at night and I look after the house etc as well. On my own as well when hubby is away.

My CPB results?? The first time I did it they were great. I would have to search through my notes to get my exact figures though. The second time wasn't so good.

My running is intense? I guess so I don't really notice it that much because I love to run. It's empowering. I tried walking but it bores me to much. I used to get shin splints when I was over 200lbs but they disappeared when I got to about 180lbs.

Cheryl: my brownies weren't gowey at all they were solid but kinda like cake my rubbery. I do know that the one thing I did different to normal was I whipped my egg whites to form peaks and I blended it very very well. I also had the nuts in it as well. Besides that I don't know.

Lana: Sorry about your nose! I really wish that I had a training partner but there are hardly any girls who lift in my gym and those that do use the little pink dumbbells normally. I am yet to see another girl use the big boy weights like I do.

Well personally I am great. I played soccer last night and we won 3-0 which means that we are still on top of the table. It was good to run around and I was soooo full of beans last night!

JC
Old 01-22-2003, 08:34 PM   #49  

Default hi ladies !

Lana -- i hope you get well real soon. take it easy on your body or else it'll just take longer to re-coup. be well.

i did an evening workout and remembered why i don't like to workout inthe evenings too many people, too noisy and i don't really reach my full potential with the weights. strange how i can do a good cardio push in the evenings, but weights is another matter.

don't get me wrong, i still did an excellent chest, back and shoulders workout, but the whole time i just wanted to bolt because of the people who were there. i'm so anti-social .

i changed up my cardio a bit, dumped the treadmill for a few weeks and went onto the stationary bike. now, that was a strange experience. i do spinning 2-3 times per week, which is tough, right? well this innocent-looking stationary bike was so different than the spinning that i really got in a great 30 minutes of HIIT

i'm looking forward to working on that thing now for awhile.

i hope everyone had a great wednesday. i'm up at this insane hour (3:30 am) because i got up to the bathroom and couldn't go back to sleep. i'll go back upstairs in a few minutes.

take care !

adriana
Old 01-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #50  

Well, I went and worked out. I did legs today, I sure am outta shape! I must have done it wrong or something though, it didn't take me 46 min, it only took 25-30? Am I supposed to double up on things? Oh well.

I hate to say this..although I have suspected it all along. I am not going to be a gym rat. As much as I want to be it was a real pain. We live about 20-30 min from the gym so we drove in. My kids went in the pool while I worked out. So, there is the changing of the clothes to get in, the changing of the clothes to get out. Then the drive home. I am afraid this is not realistic for me, I am lying to myself. I need to get some home equipment I guess. I fear if its too difficult I will give up. I way dont want to do that. I have a free pass to the gym for a few days to try it out.

I called and Sears has the "Crossbow" on sale for $499. Any of you have experience with it?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #51  

Forgiven- Are you waiting a full 1 minute between each set? Usually it's rest times that throw people off.

It's great that you are realistic about getting to the gym; we're moving 20 miles away in 2 years and I'm already thinking about gym access, because mine will be too far at that point.

Lots of people at L and S do home workouts; I don't know about the Crossbow but many seem to do fine with a bench, barbell and dumbbells. A swiss ball is also good to have.

Adriana-
I've never even *been* to my gym after 2 in the afternoon; what I hear is that it's much more crowded and a younger crowd. I admit I'm spoiled going at 10 a.m. when there's almost no one in the weight room. The resolutioners are still in cardio classes now, they haven't discovered the weight room yet .

JC- way to go on the soccer!

Lana- Hope you feel better soon; so far we've escaped any colds or viruses here at my house, but when we do catch something, all 6 of us seem to get it.

I'm off from the gym today, but have to go to my "job"; I work 2.5 hours a week at ds4's preschool as a lunch/recess aide. We will NOT be going outside today; right now it's 8º.

Laura
Old 01-23-2003, 07:45 AM   #52  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey,

Laura, nice to meet you. You sound like you have been at this a while.

Forgiven, I work out at home w/ a bench, dumbells, and barbell. I bought my bench for $190 at Hibbets and about $150 for the olympic weight set. Dumbells I have been collecting over the years from places like Target and Wal Mart. I totally understand your reservations with your gym experience and having my gym set up at home suits my work/commute schedule. I don't know anything about bowflex however.

Lana, are you feeling better?

Almost a week into the split routine and I miss my old bfl routine. I like lifting 3 days as opposed to 4. But I am going to give it a whirl and see if I get used to it. I have a lot of uncertainty regarding the new workout that seems to inhibit having a really good workout. But then I felt that way when I started w/ instructions by the bfl book too.

Hope everyone is well and having a good week.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:55 AM   #53  

Hi Ledom!

I'm LLS over at L and S so I've seen you there. I've also lurked here for months so I feel like I know all of you (plus a bunch of others who seem to have fallen by the wayside).

I started BFL last March after losing 10 pounds doing the Zone (too little food, too much math) and then my own Sugarbuster's variation. I met Mel at the SB board on this site and she persuaded me to try BFL. We've also met a couple of time IRL; including one memorable night exploring most of South Jersey on our way to a bodybuilding show in November.

I started BodyRX in June and have been very successful with it. I'm doing Cycle 1 exercise again but my eating is very tweaked. I also think I will be changing my lifting routine very soon; I'm ready for a new split and think I may do :

-Legs
-Arms
-Chest/Shoulders
-Back/Abs

I don't do cardio, I find that I do just fine without it.

Laura
Old 01-23-2003, 08:47 AM   #54  
Peace with body and soul

Default The Crossbow

Forgiven, go try the Crossbow out and see what you think of it. My BF has a Bowflex and I really love it, I know the Bow is lots more expensive and the Cross and I can't critique the Cross because I've never tried one.

But be sure the bows are long and have a smooth movement to them. If they don't, don't get it. That movement is very important to avoid injury by jerking your arms or legs.

Really I think most pieces of equipment probably have a purpose to serve, if they're actually used.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #55  
Uber-Moderator!!

My opinion (take it for what it's worth as I'm a gym rat myself for the same reasons Mel is - of course I live only 2 blocks away from mine and it's open 24 hours) is if you're gonna shell out five hundred smackers on a home gym, it's probably (pardon me here!) junk that you will soon grow out of and will end up becoming an expensive clothes tree

My suggestion - I have two actually. You can get a good workout with just dumbbells and an adjustable bench or Swiss Ball - I would STRONGLY suggest looking into PowerBlocks - they take up very little room and are totally adjustable. They might seem expensive at first - but if you figure out how many dumbbells you would have to buy in their place, they become a much better deal! If I had the room in my wee place, I would buy 'em (especially now as the Omni Fitness store down the street has them on sale this month!!). Check 'em out at powerblocks.com.

Another suggestion - if you have a Play it Again Sports in your area - you would get a much better deal. Also, check your Penny Saver or classifieds in your area (my husband loves www.craigslist.org - they're more a Bay Area thing though) for some good deals on gently used equipment. I see Bowflexes and other stuff like that advertised all the time.

OH and if you have an acquaintance or friend who is a weight trainer, bring him/her along to help you - and check www.eopinions.com to see what others think!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #56  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

Hi girls!!

I am alive again!! Feeling 100% better now... It's really amazing when you are healty how fast you heal...I only have the sniffles this morning...

I was going to go to the gym only on SUnday with my buddy but I am going tomorrow I feel I really need it....

JEC -- it is very difficult to find a WO partner compatible with you... I've gone through a few over the years and only 2-3 have been really good... I have a great friend who goes to the gym every day at 5am too, but she uses the pink dumbells , and now she's pregnant so she will be using the "baby" pink dumbells
... oh well....

Home gym equipment front -- I am a total gym rat and every time I tried to WO at home I would fail...

Well I do have to get going.... I need to wo/do housework...

Later all... OH and thank you all for asking how I was...

BuhBye.....
Old 01-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #57  
Mel

Default Bow thingies

I've used my brother's bowflex (probably more than he has) and don't like it at all. I'm assuming that a cross-bow is a cheaper version. The bowflex takes a LOT of time to set up between exercises, and even with the leg attatchments, you can't get a real good leg workout. The action is smooth, but the eccentric-concentric feel is quite different from real weights. I agree with Karen- go with powerblocks, a bench, and a swiss ball. I still don't think I could get a proper leg workout that way, but if you know you aren't going to go to a gym, it's certainly preferable to doing nothing. There are lots of folks at L&S who seem to get great results without a squat rack or leg press- I'm just kinda fond of those torture devices

Workout partners! Gosh I'd love to find one! Never have, and don't really expect to, tho. The only women I see lifting heavy at my gym train w/ a trainer ALL the time ( we're talking megabucks here!). Wouldn't it be wonderful if some of us lived near each other? There was a woman who briefly posted at L&S last year who lived about 3 miles from me, but she wouldn't even meet me, even tho I was the one answering most of her questions. Guess it was the "you never know who is on the internet problem". Oh well, just keep slogging along in solitary.

Lana-Glad you feel better!

Laura-I remember that night more as "escape from South Jersey" than exploring! We barely made it out before our hair pouffed up, our clothes got tighter, heels got higher and our accents changed! I've always wanted to see the back streets of Camden.....

JC- I had no idea Australia was on fire. We get so little international news, especially now with Superbowl Fever raging, except for pronouncements from our trigger happy president. And I read a REAL newspaper, not TV news.

I am dying from not going to the gym- gone from hard to lard in 5 days, despite eating clean. I snuck onto the exercise bike twice for 1/2 hour sessions, but no weights. Shoulders still bother me.

shoot- gotta go back to work,
mel

Last edited by meliris; 01-23-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #58  

Default hi everyone !

sure is nice to see you all here already

i'm hanging out here at the computer for a bit longer, waiting for a decent time to go to bed. i've been awake since yesterday morning (that would be our wednesday). i have pms related insomnia and it's that time now another day or two and i'll be just fine.

before i started working out in sept i would have this for 7-10 days before my period, so now 1-3 days is not too bad. i'm shooting for 0 days within the next year..... let's keep our fingers crossed.

no workout today for me because of the lack of sleep. i don't like to workout when i'm not sure what kind of rest and recovery i'll have. i'm hoping tomorrow i'll be able to do a legs workout and some cardio.

Lana - good for you !! that was a quick recovery and i'm glad to see you up and at 'em again ! it does make such a difference to be fit and healthy!

Laura - i also go from 10am - 1pm and that evening workout was torture for me! i'm back to my regular time from now on, it's like having a personal gym...... soooooo empty and sooooo cool i'm frequently in the pool by myself !!!

i admire all of you who have the gumption to workout at home. i've never even considered it -- buying equipement would be a total waste of money for me because i'd never do it at home. good for you all though !! all the more power to you. i'm sooo lucky that my gym is 1/2 mile away and i often walk there.

well.... it's time to pack it in for a good night's sleep.

take care everyone. see you tomorrow.

adriana
Old 01-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #59  

Hi everybody!

Things are going ok for me. After a derailment of going out to eat for lunch yesterday (for a coworker...no getting out of it!) I am back on plan. This has not been a great week for me eating wise. On Monday a friend of mine from Turkey made me a traditional Turkish breakfast. Very interesting, and I ate more than I should have. Trying to do better though! I have had good workouts. I am trying splitting up my UBWO and I am liking it better. I get bored too fast!

Next week I am going to do really, really well!

I posted a recipe. Please go check it out. I know it needs modifications, but I am not sure what. I want to eat it for dinner! Thanks

Carrie
Old 01-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #60  
Peace with body and soul

I disagree on the inability to get a good workout w/a Bowflex, been using my BF's for a couple years now and have made good progress with it. The squat attachment has helped my legs immensely.

My belief is that any piece of home equipment is a good buy, if you can use it to your best advantage, this doesn't mean as an expensive clothes rack. LOL
Closed Thread