Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #31  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Mel: I can't get on either - it must be really busy. Yeah the brownies are really morrish huh? (that's an aussie term if you haven't heard it morrish as in you want more) It's a big portion.

How are you feeling with everything?

JC
Old 01-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #32  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the answer. It sounds similar to what I do on "good" days...run full speed for a minute and walk for a minute.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #33  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Jennelle: Yep that's how I started doing it, I would just jog as fast as I could without dying which was about 5 mph. Then I worked my way up in speed and slowly but surely I got to my current speed which is 14.2kms per hour or 8.9 mph. I can keep that up for a full minute now no problem. I am aiming for 15 kms ph next!

JC
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #34  

I have loved reading the cardio opinions. I have had a hard time deciding whether to do BFL or BRX. I have decided to do BFL because I cant seem to find anyone who has lost over 100 pounds on BRX. You can find success stories for BFL.

I started today. Tomorrow AM I will go join the gym in town. So it will be my first actual weigh workout day.

What was Camp Pam B like?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #35  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey forgiven,

Good on you for starting. The thing I like about BFL is that it gives you a good foundation for moving on to other things in the future if you wish to. It's also so simple that it's hard to stuff up!

Camp Pam B? Well it's harder than other programs namely BFL but it is tailored to you personally. Pam B takes a few things into consideration like your weight, goals, workout timings etc and creates a plan for you that includes diet and exercise. I would suggest that most people should do at least one round of BFL before tackling Camp Pam B. You can email Pam and ask her questions via her website which I can't advertise here. Over at lean & strong there is a link to it.

Good luck

JC
Old 01-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #36  
Uber-Moderator!!

I second what JC said about CPB.

My suggestion: Do BFL by the book for at least one - and preferably two or more - challenges. If you get to your goal doing BFL BTB (by the book) then great! If you find that you get to a point where you need a change, then it's time to look elsewhere, and CPB is one option.

I might add here that unless you are planning on actually competing, I would personally NOT do a 'competition diet' as it is not really meant for PERMANENT results - a comp diet which is VERY restrictive and requires a vast amount of discipline is really meant for only a temporary effect - i.e. the date of competition (not saying here that CPB is exclusively a comp diet though).

HIIT - actually the 20MAS in BFL is an example of a HIIT program. What I do now is switch between the 20 MAS in the book (adding on five minutes at the beginning and end for warm up and cool down) and a HIIT consisting of 2 minutes light/1 minute heavy with a five minute warm up and a four minute cool down.

Sheesh! I'm gonna have to try that brownie recipe after I get back from Miami!!! (Looking forward to stone crab next week...mmmmm...)
Old 01-21-2003, 11:55 PM   #37  

Default hi everyone!

Lana -- i hope you're feeling better by the time you read this. it seems like absolutely everybody in the entire world has had either a cold or flu this winter. get well real soon !

Mel -- wow. i'm sorry to hear about your shoulders. pain like that can be very tiring throughout the day. i agree with you about it most probably being because of the computer. i sit here all day long too and sometimes my whole right side just aches and aches. maybe you should go ahead and get it checked out. feel better

Cheryl -- oh how i love your enthusiam !! good for you! don't think of yourself as weak, you're strong and just only now discovering HOW strong i hope to hear of your continuing progress during this challenge.

JEC -- that's pretty good running !! it's fun isn't it? i love the feeling of running like that -- makes me feel powerful, especially since i could barely walk fast 6 months ago. did you do a Camp Pam session? i was curious about the whole thing also after being at L&S for a bit - but you've answered some of the questions here too.

=================

i'm so happy to see so many posts here !! the more the merrier.

yesterday was a rest day for me -- but we ended up almost sprinting through the streets of tel aviv. i parked far from the dentist's office on purpose and my daughters wanted to kill me. but i completely ignored their complaints and we all felt good in the end.

today i start week 3 of my second challenge. feels good to just be crusing through the days, working hard and feeling stronger. i can see and feel more difference in my jeans -- it's just about time to take them in for an alteration ! they were jeans that i couldn't even wear 4 months ago, and now they are soooo baggy on me -- i've also lost another kilo this past week, so i'm feeling quite pumped !

wishing you all a great Wednesday !! i know, i know, some of you haven't even finished up tuesday, lol ! what can i do? i like starting out my day here on this board.

take care and see you all later,

adriana

Last edited by adriana; 01-21-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:58 PM   #38  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Adriana: Yes I have done 2 separate sessions of CPB. The first one was 8 weeks and the second was 6 weeks. If you have any questions then SHOOT!!

JC
Old 01-22-2003, 12:02 AM   #39  

JC -- boy that was quick !! i keep forgetting that you're awake at this hour also -- lol

are they so intense that they run only the 8 or 6 weeks? she actually tailors it to each person, right? what's the program like?

enough of that for now, i don't want to make you crazy.

what program are you on now? i'm sure you told me before but i have a problem with my short-term memory until i get it through my brain !

are the fires anywhere near you? that's so tragic what's been happening there! i keep praying for your country.

adriana
Old 01-22-2003, 12:10 AM   #40  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Awake??? I am at work! It's only 4pm here.

They are pretty intense but I always asked Pam to go hard on me as well. You can do it for as long as you want but I found it very taxing mentally. Yes she tailors it to your individual needs. What's it like? ummm hard! ask me something more specific...... No you aren't making me crazy....

No you haven't forgotten - no one here knows what I am doing at the moment. It's quite different to what I have done before and I really don't want to go into it until I have tested it fully. As for workouts I do this;

Monday: Lean legs by Dave Draper with abs
Tuesday: back and bis split followed by 20MAS
Wednesday: soccer
Thursday: lean legs again with abs
Friday: shoulders, chest & tris followed by HIIT sprints with 7 high points. Total time about 17 mins.
Weekend: off but sometimes I run my dogs on the beach. I am taking a break off weekends for the moment to thoroughly test my diet properly.

Ah the fires I was waiting to be asked about that. At the moment they are 3 states and one is particularly bad about 450 houses have been lost. There are some about 30 minutes from me but no I am not in danger. Thanks for thinking of me though. Hubby has been to the Canberra fires to help out since he volunteers on weekends and said its the worst that he has ever seen.

At the end of the day fires are a part of our life unfortunately. Loads of dry land and not a huge population.....

JC
Old 01-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #41  

i vaguely remembered the Draper legs workout.

wow! the Camp Pam program was so intense? and you asked for more punishment? wow ! okay, give me one week of the second program you did, if you can remember it.

that's so cool that you're working on something so individual right now. i'll be looking forward to hearing about the whole program one day. your workout week is pretty intense and that's good that you take the whole weekend off. i also like the two days off now, but i do 3 on one off, 2 on one off.

that's what life was like in califoria also ! fires are a way of life there and it can get pretty scary. i never lived in a real fire area, but some of my brothers do. one year one of them almost lost his house. the fire line reached the embakment right behind his house but they were able to fight it back. it's all so scary. i'll be thinking of your husband and praying for his continued safety.

ad
Old 01-22-2003, 12:35 AM   #42  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Monday: Morning: chest & quads - 4 sets of 10 reps with 3-4 exercises per bodypart. Evening: 20HIIT with 20 mins moderate after.

Tuesday: shoulder/abs/calves - reps as above. Then Cardio 60 mins of moderate - I used to run about 5 miles.

Wednesday: Back & hammies as above

Thursday: 20HIIT with 20 mins moderate after.

Friday: Bis & Tris, Cardio 60 mins of moderate - about 5 miles.

Saturdays: 20HIIT with 20 mins moderate after

Sunday: rest

I get tired even reading it. It was hard but please note that I was doing so much because I was already fairly fit at this stage. Not everyone would do that much - then again some may do more.

As far as the diet is concerned I can't say much - it's Pams business.

You think that my workouts are intense? Boy and I am on a break at the moment! You should see it normally! I keep thinking that I am slacking off lately.....

Thanks for the thoughts - hubby is a bit of an adrenaline junky.

JC
Old 01-22-2003, 01:16 AM   #43  

thanks JC !

that is a fairly intense schedule, but it's just about what i'm doing now too, except the extra rest day. it's interesting seeing these programs in writing.

the two sessions per day can get a bit tiring, but then i don't do much else during the day other than just sit at the computer. it's not like i'm physically active all day long too, except for housework, which keeps me more sane than anything else.

did you have good results from the Camp Pam programs?

your workouts right now are fairly intensive because of all the running that you do in a week. i would die ! especially with the soccer. i can't run more than 5 minutes straight yet. well, i can, but it's not fun after the 5 minutes. i'm still quite heavy (209) and i feel pain in my ankles after the 5 minutes. but it's better than the 20 seconds i started with !!!

ad
Old 01-22-2003, 09:53 AM   #44  

Question Brownies

I made the brownies that you all have been talking about lately. I think I must've cooked them too long, or something, because they were....hard, rubbery. The taste was excellent, tho. I made them in a mini-muffin pan rather than a cake pan. Maybe that had something to do with their outcome. I just wanted to check with those of you who made them and see if you had any suggestions as to how I could make the next batch more brownie-like (meaning chewy--not rubbery-hard).

Cheryl
Old 01-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #45  
Uber-Moderator!!

Cheryl - I haven't yet tried making them, but if MINE come out like a brick, I wouldn't be too surprised - that's my lot in life - lumpy Jello and rock-hard brownies. Julia Child I most definitely am NOT! Actually I think the brownie baking thing came up last week at L&S - you're not the only person having this problem. JC is our resident HBBE (Healthy Brownie Baking Expert) here - she'll probably have some good tips.

Adriana - I did two stints of CPB last year - 8 weeks between Feb - April and then four weeks around September/October. I also worked my fanny off quite literally - cardio twice a day except on leg day - and some really tough workouts, lots of supersets. If memory serves my split was similar to what Pam has posted in her training document which was posted in August 2001.

Mon - chest/tris
Tues - quads/hams
Weds - back/bis
Thurs - Shoulders/abs/calves
Fri - chest/tris
Sat - quads/hams
Sun - rest
Mon - back/bis
Tues - Shoulders/abs/calves

and so on...whew!!!

You must have lived in Southern California - we don't get TOO many fires here in Northern California, although we had a couple of doozies in the past ten years (Oakland/Berkeley Hills fire in 1991 and Morgan Hill fire a year or so ago). We don't get those dry Santa Ana winds up here that they get in LA and Orange County. I didn't know there were fires going on in Australia - right now it seems the only two news stories here are the Raiders in the Super Bowl and the Laci Peterson missing person case in Modesto.

As far as cardio - don't worry about it. As you get fitter, your '10' will become harder - I remember the ankle thing myself when I was in the 200's - I thought I had weak ankles - I didn't I was just too big for them, that's all

Forgiven - let us know how your first day of training went!

Gotta get caught up a bit here at work - be back later!
Closed Thread