Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Need a new ST program - I'm bored!

I've done NROLFW and NROLF Abs. I'm just finishing the later, but am really unhappy with the lack of results from it and BORED! I loved NROLFW and if I can't find something else, I guess I do it again, but again I'm bored!

I google strength training for women and didn't get many good results. I'm in desperate need of a structured program, I can't just wing it at the gym and I can't afford a trainer...SO I was wondering if anyone new of any good programs. It needs to be gym oriented, I don't do DVDs or at home workouts. My gym time is my time out of the house, my me time. Thanks!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Ncuneo: The same routine does get to feel a little like eating last night's dinner for breakfast...stale. (Unless it's pizza of course)

Krista has some workouts available on her site that may help you get through this tough spot. You can take a look and see if they fit your goals:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/t.../workout_ideas

There are also other sites I like to look at for variations to my workout as well. Some of these may actually get you a few stares if you are doing this at a gym but only because if you are able to do them, your in the minority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZawPu33WQ

There are many more vids from him on YouTube and you can also get links to workouts from his site:

http://www.briandevlin.com/

Yes it is very different, it's not just lifting heavy weights but much more functional in nature. He really programs outside the box and is a great for inspiring new ideas for your workouts. Even if you don't do he workouts exactly as written, I find just adding two new exercises like these is enough of a mix up to make things fun again. Workouts SHOULD be fun.

Another spot to look for ideas is www.trainwithmeonline. To be able to watch the vids you do need to purchase a subscription. But his site is wonderful for putting together workouts as well. There are some things you could access for free so go ahead and take a look at it as well.

It does take a little bit of time and effort to look at the sites, watch the videos, write them down, and then apply at the gym. However, there is a very real return on that investment. You own it and there will be visual cues for you every time you walk into the gym when you need to switch things up a little.

Okay: just because I REALLY MISS THIS KIND OF TRAINING...I'll send you another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQPVmN3EIg

But seriously go look at some of the others on Youtube...it's just really exciting what's available out there. :

Aack: Why I didn't think of this earlier....take a look at CrossFit as well. There is a WOD (workout of the day) posted. Definitely great ideas there as well as instructions on how to do the movements and Youtube demo's as well. Cheryl, Mel, and Nelie may have advice as this style of training as well.

Okay. Now I'm done...Laundry to fold.

Last edited by Lydia227; 05-15-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I am posting the routines I just finished. I did these routines for 4 weeks, and am starting a new set this week. The trainer modified them somewhat because I got quite fatigued. I'm sending the highest weight and highest number of reps I was able to do. You'll have to find your own level, of course. As a referent, I've been training about 9 months (over a 12 month period), and am 65 years old.

I "super set" two at a time. Of course, you can go straight through doing one set, then go back and do the second (or third) set.

I rest for one minute between the super sets, and as I need it.

UPPER BODY

I do a series of activations, mobility moves and stretches. I do a total of 11, involving rotations, ankle stretches, squat stretches, hip flexor stretches, hip rotator stetches, push ups, leg swings, etc. The point is--don't just jump into strength exercises.

Strength exercises:

1-Arm Dumbell Bench Press 3 sets of 12 reps, 25 pounds
Facepull 3 sets of 12 reps, 140 pounds
EZ Bar curl 3 sets of 12 reps, 30 pounds
Dumbbell shrug 3 sets of 12 reps, 35 pounds
Shoulder press front, using the Smith machine 3 sets of 12 reps, 20 pounds added to bar
Lat pulldown, using V-Bar 3 sets of 12 reps, 75 pounds

One other UB exercise of my choice: 3 sets of 12 reps

Lower Body

I do a set of 7 activations, mobility and stretching exercises.

Strength exercises:

Kettlebell sumo deadlift 2 sets of 9 reps, 80 pounds. (I stand on two steps-one under each foot- put an 80 pound dumbell between my legs, then do the sumo squat. This allows for a deeper squat.)

Leg curls 2 sets of 9 reps. I put Valslides under my feet, stretch my legs out, get in a bridge position, pull my feet up under me---I find this one very hard to do---really gets the hamstrings.

Trap bar deadlift 2 sets of 6 reps, 162 pounds (I LOVE the deadlift--big rush)

Lateral lunges 2 sets of 9 reps, 25 pound kettlebell held in hand while lunging

Barbell Valslide reverse lunge Holding a barbell over your head, do reverse lunge with valslide under back leg (or not!). 2 sets of 9 reps, 35 pounds

Front squat 2 sets of 9 reps, 65 pounds (more comfortable at 55 pounds)

Anterior reach 2 sets of 9 reps, 60 pounds

Conditioning I do HIIT and constant state cardio on the elliptical, plus a number of core exercises (don't do nearly enough of these)

Last edited by Tejas; 05-15-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #4  
hee haw

S/C/G: 182/173.6/120

Height: 5'2"

You can find several workouts on the Muscle and Strength website:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html

I have done a few of the fat loss/tone workouts and been satisfied with the results. There is also a forum so you ask of help if needed.
torta del burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #5  

Lydia, thanks for those links! I, too, came here today looking for different ideas for my fitness classes. The trainwithmeonline link seems to be broken. FYI Or it's my computer.

I often go to youtube for boot camp ideas - there's TONS of them. Some good, some stupid, some dangerous, but mostly they get you to think outside the box.

Another suggestion - watch the info-mercial for P90X and Insanity with a pen and paper. Jot down what they do and form your own version of it for free.

If you have a little cash to spend, try TRX bands. I tried them for the first time at our gym. Totally fun ways to use your own body weight and gravity and can be done from home.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Try this:

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #7  

That works!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Thanks guys!

I picked up the Venus Index off the internet and only did one workout so far and am pretty impressed and sore (haven't been this sore in a while!). It's a 12 week program that will take me longer because I can only work out 2xs a week, but I'm excited.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

For what it is worth, my trainer said today that you need to do 2-3 sets of all exercises if you want to build muscle.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #10  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Throw some Crossfit workouts in there. Plenty of free workouts online, never gets boring, just IMO, 3 years later.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

ncuneo - are you still doing Venus Index? I just started Week 3 today. Haven't seen anyone on 3FC mention it before. I'm not paying attention to measurements aspect of it, but I like it so far. There are a few exercises I hate, but I love the variety.
christiina is offline   Reply With Quote