Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #1  
Lena

S/C/G: 250/230/165

Height: 5'8"

Default How to get over nervousness?

So, lurking around this forum has convinced me that I need to start weight training ASAP--but. I'm a college student. The weight room is tiny and filled with big bulky guys lifting heavy things, and at least when I'm doing cardio I can stare out the window and not look at anyone. I'm being silly and flaily, but does anyone have any tips for how to get over this? I can't be the only one who feels/will have felt this way.
sobocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

I feel the exact same way - and although I'm not in college my gym is - so it's the exact same scenario.. Still haven't plucked up the courage.. Don't want the teenage boys gawking at me and scoffing at how I'm doing it wrong or whatever..
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Brown, that is awesome! It really made me smile
I listen to my mp3 player while I lift and no one gives me a second glance.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Lena: I feel your pain. Seriously. I went to school at Ohio State. I made an attempt to try this when I was in my early twenties but it was just way too intimidating for me and I shelved it for another 15 years. Please. Don't. Do that! The benefits of lifting are so expansive that nothing and no one should prevent you from having this for yourself.

And trust me, what you are feeling is not unusual. I still feel this way when I'm in a new gym. Heck, I'm going through it right now and I have been lifting for five years and have two personal training certifications. It's all about the culture of the gym and how you feel you meld into it.

He's what helps me as I acclimate:
Load up the iPod and don't leave home without it. If I can't hear them they don't exist.

Put together a workout before you get to the gym. This allows you to look at your list, and move from one exercise/activity to another without feeling lost.

Study the exercises you are about to perform. Use the university of google and check out the youtube videos. Don't just watch one version, watch many of the same exercise being performed. Rehearse it in you mind and then practice the movement unloaded at home. This will help you once you are in the gym later.

Also know that people are people in the gym and out. They may look intimidating but really are nice folks. I've been pleasantly surprised that the biggest and scariest of them were the ones who were most willing to make room for me and compliment my efforts.It is a little different at the university level. Some are there for social reasons, but there are some who came to work and you'll soon know the difference if you don't already.

Hmm. Another thing that might help is to get a staff member to help you with a couple of workouts or...get a friend to go in with you! Course, my experience has been that they usually don't last past the second week but if after the second week you can do this more comfortably on your own it's fine.

Hang in there and please don't give up. Let us know if you need suggestions on where to find workouts/exercises etc. I did list some sites on a previous post in this forum this morning. Those may help as well.

Last edited by Lydia227; 10-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #5  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

try a cathe friedrich dvd. you could do it in your dorm, or if you have the space etc hook up and mp3 player to the tv in the gym. she has downloads that are affordable. review online. find one you like. she's also on fit tv. you could record the shows, and try it at home with hand weights or a resistance band. she's so petite but so strong at the same time. i look at her and go, if she can, i can at least try!

oh and you can find her on u tube and cathe dot com. lots of reviews on collage video too. or other instructors you may like.

Last edited by katy trail; 10-25-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: websites
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I came here for the same help months ago too, so I know how you feel!

Don't wait, just jump in. You'll realize that those guys really don't care. I used to do a 10 min warm up on the treadmill and could see the weight area from it. I used to size up the guys that were there and find things NOT to be intimidated about. With an iPod you don't notice them and it feels a lot better, it's almost as if they aren't there. Plus you can't hear their silly grunting, which would make me laugh and drop a barbell if I did (I had giggle fits in the girls changeroom cus I could hear them through the wall)

After the first time it feels so liberating, then the other times aren't so bad.

But I did get irritated by the guys leaving barbells around and hogging stuff so I started building a gym at home with small stuff I would buy.

Keep it up, you can do it! If you can get adjustable dumbbells and start at home with that, that would work too!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #7  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

if you want to get some weights. try looking at good will, or other used stored. they also have weight benches and other fitness equipment. i bet you could get some at walmart for around $5 too. resistance bands don't cost much either.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #8  
Lena

S/C/G: 250/230/165

Height: 5'8"

Gosh, thanks so much, you guys. I'm definitely going to drag a friend along with me (like a gym booty call but with less booty), and study the crap out of some exercises. Thanks so much!

Oooh, and my paycheck(s) come soon, I'll look into getting some of my own.

Last edited by sobocin; 10-25-2010 at 02:25 PM.
sobocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

You have received some really good advice, and I just want to add a voice of encouragement. I have been lifting only since January even though I thought about it for decades. As Lydia said, don't let your feelings, or the boys' behavior stop you. They do not own the world, or the gym. Take your place, enjoy yourself and get strong.

Good luck!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I just wanted to add, if you can, work out with a trainer at least once. It helps me with my form, to stay motivated, and get some different programs lined up. Most people at the gym are focused on what they are doing, not other people.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Trust me, a lot of those guys either don't know what the heck they're doing, or are paying more attention to their reflection than to anyone else around them.

I was intimidated by the guys at my gym for the longest time and avoided the free weights for almost a year, but now that I've learned more about weight lifting and have become comfortable with heavy weights, I often have to laugh at all of the grandstanding that goes on around me.

Never mind them, do your thing
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I'd like to add that being a girl can have it's own confidence related benefits.

In high school I took a weight training class where I was the only girl. ( I love weight training). It was great self confidence boost. For example, one day we did max presses (doing the most weight in a particular move that you can lift, 1 time). The teacher didn't believe that I could lift what I did and asked me to do it again, and was impressed when I could. Also my legs are naturally pretty strong and when I was trying to do a max press for legs, a lot of the other kids(boys) ended up adding weights from other machines, trying to see if I could still lift it. So not only was it attention, it was positive as well as empowering as a girl in general.

So you very well may be surprised.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Go to a Crossfit gym. Plenty of strong females that love lifting heavy, plenty of support. You can learn what to do from them, then go back to the school gym and show the guys a thing or two.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #14  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I remember feeling this way, initially. I got over it once I joined a Usenet group (yes, I'm that old!) on weightlifting where I learned the lingo, the magic of s'quaht, and the exercises that identify the "real" lifters from the newbies and pencilnecks. (Oh, and I learned the insults, too, although I haven't yet felt the need to use them.)

My quibble with my university gym is that there are *never* any women there after the 9 am "lifting for women" class lets out, except for the woman who checks IDs at the door. I don't mind working out with the guys -- they leave me alone, I leave them alone -- but it sure would be nice to have some women around, too. Curiously, I spend a lot of time at a university gym on the west coast, and the ratio of male to female lifters is much more balanced there.

b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #15  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

My suggestion was to pay for a trainer once or twice as well. That way you at least know you're doing the exercises right and won't feel as intimidated. I did all my workouts in a college gym too and while it's a little overwhelming when you see all the boys down there, it's so good for you. I had some previous weight training (with a trainer) under my belt so I knew how to do the exercises and the only thing I worried about (initially) was them thinking I was too fat to be there.

You'll be fiiiine. It's just a new thing, so it'll take some getting used to.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote