Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #1  
Mel

Default September

New month... September always seems like the countdown for the year or a new beginning if you still remember being in school

Goals? Anyone? I am aiming to heal some injuries, and hit a few new Prs. 100 pd clean, 200 pd squat and 250 deadlift are just a hair beyond my current, and improving my snatch form is high on the list.

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Happy September!

I certainly remember being in school since this is the first year since I was 4 years old that I am not returning to some kind of school environment. I am not going to miss it

My goal to get off of this weight plateau I am on. I am more interested in being strong than in what the scales say, but there is still too much fat on my frame and it isn't budging. I'll scrutinze what I eat even more carefully.

I did intervals on the elliptical yesterday and had deep muscle pain in my back on the right side last night, almost under the scapula. I imagine this is from my neck and am thinking that it must be from the movement of the arms on the elliptical. I'll keep my arms stationary next time and see if there is any difference.

Have a great day.

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Since it's September 1st, all traces of sun and summer are now gone. Now it's rain, rain, rain all the way until Christmas! (The rain actually started yesterday for us)

My goals for September, finish stage 1 of NRoL4W and weight increases on all my routines. I'd like to get out of this weight stall, so I'm going to start analyzing my protein/carbs/fat ratio as well as salt intake.

Today is workout B5 of stage 1, it's going to be a tough one! I'll post back with my routine and weights lifted.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My goal should be to figure out my eating

Tejas - I saw you wanted to ask about a wallball on the last thread.

A wallball is such an innocent looking thing and you really have no idea how painful they are until you do them.

Here is a good youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeaHC3CNBrA

Basically, you have a weighted medicine ball (from 10 to 20 lbs). You squat down and aim to have the ball hit the wall at a certain height by using your whole body to power it up.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #5  

THANKS Nelie. I took the post off because I found it on-line but I hadn't seen the Youtube. I haven't tried it! I saw someone today just slamming a medicine ball down again and again and I wasn't sure they were exercising or were just mad I've seen other people throw a medicine ball over their head and behind them.

I read on-line that one should do cardio after lifting to get the most of them both. I do 15-20 minutes of the elliptical before I do the lifting to get warmed up. When I finish a session with my trainer, I'm finished--can't imagine doing serious cardio then! Does anyone have an opinion about timing of cardio? I've been trying to do it on days when I don't lift.

At the end of my session today I did 450 pound leg press, 2 sets of 15 reps. That's the most I've ever done.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #6  
No description available.

Well, since I stopped going to the private gym I've lifted a little bit at home, but that's it. Everytime I think about joining another gym, there's a hundred excuses about why we can't spare the $ at this exact minute. But I'm getting squishy (-ier) and that is unacceptable. My in-laws have a fairly nice weight machine at their house so I'm going to try to go do some upper body work and then I'll run later.

My goal is to join a gym this month so I can have access to equipment again!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

My goal this month is just to get back to the gym on a regular basis. I've made peace with the lower dose of this medication, and will leave it there til I've met with my doctor at the beginning of October. No more upset stomach! I'm going on vacation to the Oregon coast with 7 GFs in mid-October. They're from all over the country, and we've made a 44 day challenge to all be in better shape and weigh less by the time we meet! No prizes though, except our own better physical (and mental) health.

RHonda - I'm with you, I don't like doing cardio after a hard lifting session either. I do a short cardio warm-up, but I usually do a cardio workout either another day or another time the same day. The exception comes if I ride my bike to the gym (4.5 miles). I've done a longer cardio than a warm-up, plus I have do another to get home! It is more downhill on the way home
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #8  
Workin' It

My goal for the month is to slow down and recover a little. I have two more days in my 8-week strength plan, and once I've done them I may take a break from the weights for a week and focus more on the yoga and the cardio. I feel achey, so I need to recover from that a bit before I hurt myself. If I were smart I would stop right now, but I can't leave those two last days just hanging out there now can I?

to all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Today's workout was one of the more difficult ones I've done:
Buy-In:

Push Press 5×3

WOD:

With a 21 minute clock:

7 min AMRAP
5 Push Press (95/63)
10 Pullups
15 Box Jumps

7 min AMRAP
5 Hang Power Clean (95/63)
10 Pushups
15 Squats

7 min AMRAP
5 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (95/63)
10 Wallballs
15 Situps

Cash-Out:

2000m Row

The last round was just painful. I kind of laid on the floor for a few moments, contemplating life or death.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #10  
Mel

That row would be the straw that broke me, nelie! Good job

I've been kind of moping along- going through a really unpleasant, stressful time at work and it's really getting me mentally. Still doing yoga at lunch, which does preserve a semblance of sanity. Crossfit after work makes me forget, at least for 45-60 minutes, but I'm having trouble getting up in the morning to do cardio when the first digit on the clock says "4" no matter what the other two numbers are!

Shannon- finish your days then rest as long as you don't think you'll actually get hurt. Otherwise, it will BUG you

Mel
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #11  

Nelie...how about "living dead"? Congratulations on surviving.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #12  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Mel, I hope things get better for you! Work has been getting to me lately too, they keep asking to switch shifts or do overtime to help out and it's messing up my gym schedule. It's also a very stressful job (I had a customer say they 'should kill' me a few days ago)

I even feel irritated at the gym, irritated at the guys in the weight area. There was seven in there yesterday and they had set up barbells and left them all over the floor! I had no space to do my deadlifts I had to push some stuff out of the way. There were literally 6 barbells on the floor plus some dumbells. What's more irritating is the rack is RIGHT THERE. Then when I saw one dance in front of the mirror and flex and make kissy faces at himself I felt like packing up, but it was so bad it was comical at that point, haha.

I managed to grab a 45 lb barbell and do 3 sets of 10 deadlifts. Then I moved to the woman's only area that has everything but barbells.
Dumbell shoulder press 3 sets of 10 reps at 15lbs per hand (tried 20 but couldn't complete the full 10 reps just yet)
Lat Pull down 2 sets of 10 reps at 65 last set at 55, this was alternated with the dumbell shoulder presses.
Lunge 2 sets of 10 reps per leg with 10 lb dumbbells in hand alternated with 2 sets of 12 reps of ball crunches.

I didn't finish my last set of lunges because I get a weird pain in my tailbone. I don't know what it is, I noticed it the first time I tried them and it came back this time. I wonder if I have improper form? It hasn't happened since, but then it happened again last night so I wonder.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Stephanie: Sorry about the clown show. Really hope they are not regulars. Frustration with other members during your workout kinda kills the whole Mind/Body experience. Hang in there.

Mel: You crack me up. At first I was going to rib you about the duplicity of your goals: heal and exceed personal records. And then I thought I'm not saying a word...I will probably post something like that in the near future myself.

I really hope things improve at work. Oh, the not wanting to get cardio in when it's still dark out is so tough and I'm sure the stress of work is part of the equation of why you would rather not begin the day. Does it help to focus just upon the three times a day you carve out for yourself, cardio, yoga, and then CF? You know, and the rest is just filler..I'm oversimplifying I"m sure, and I don't mean to, but don't let the things that sustain you be robbed by the things that deplete you.

K. Well, as we discuss goals. My goal this month is to simply find my way to the gym without a darn GPS. sigh. I'm getting there. Oddly, I can always find my way back...its just getting there. Guess I haven't been going enough these last two weeks.

Today I tried out a Golds Gym. It was pretty nice. A little more of what I'm used to. However, no power cage....why doesn't anyone have one of these ? Anyway, the toys were all there as well as a good assortment of new cardio. Yep my beloved AMT so that's great. I'm going back tomorrow to see what the crowd is like on Saturdays.

Off to hang with the boys. Oh, Tuesday can not come quick enough! (First day back to school for both sons after and exceptionally long summer break)
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #14  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Alena! WHERE ARE YOU!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #15  
Mel

A Gold's without a power cage??? that's just not right.

Lydia, you made me laugh at my own goals. BTW, I'm house hunting in Columbus in 2 weeks- can you tell me where that lovely small gym was and the Y? I'm looking in Hilliard, UA, and maybe German Village. Ther is a house on your street for sale....

I had to bail out of an Xfit workout tonight. No food all day except breakfast and a 1/2 banana on the train before the workout, Total disaster day at work. Round 4 of hand stand push ups, pistol squats and power cleans and I was seeing stars. Gotta have food to workout! The last 3rounds just didn't happen

Labor day weekend plans? I'm de-furring my house

Mel