Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

thanks for AOS link, I'm watching the videos now.

How is the instruction on the Lauren Brooks DVDs? I've watched and read Enter The Kettlebell but I'm still struggling a bit with cleans and snatches.. I think I'm having trouble finding that power in my hips to power up the KB and I start to use my arm muscle to make up for it, but of course I'm too weak to throw up or curl 20lbs so I wind up banging up my bicep or wrist. I was thinking of trying a lower weight KB, but then that might encourage me to use me arms instead of my hip strength...
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #122  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if AOS talks about it but there are a few snatch/clean Minutes of Strength videos, did you look at those?

It took me a bit of practice to get snatches. The visual of punching the sky helps me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I looked at the AOS videos on the KB. When I am doing swings I swing much higher in front. Is that a waste of energy?
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #124  

I love Lauren Brooks. She shows the cleans and snatches. I am confident that I am doing them right so I think she explains them very well. Aren't there some video's on her website and youtube??
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #125  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
I looked at the AOS videos on the KB. When I am doing swings I swing much higher in front. Is that a waste of energy?
It seems in RKC kettlebell swings, the swings are lower, at about shoulder height. In Crossfit, we go all the way to the top. I'm not sure if one is better than the other but I do both, depending on what I'm doing.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #126  

Thanks, Nelie. Mine are usually about as high as my forehead. I do 2 sets of 25 at 32.5 pounds, and am taking the weight and reps up as I can manage.

I don't see myself doing those snatches, but I'll work on my imagination

ps: I just looked at Body by Boyle, which is the site my trainer uses. He swings the KB high enough that his arms are straight out from his shoulders, and the KB seems to continue up on a trajectory to about eye level. For what that's worth....

Last edited by Tejas; 02-26-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #127  

Still loving kettlebells and kettlenetics!!

This weekend I get to do the bod pod test and I am very excited. A part of me wishes that I did it before I started kettlebells because my body is changing quickly.

I feel great and do not dread the workout. I am so grateful to have found a fun workout that strengthens my body. I have never enjoyed free weights--I like how they perform but find it boring--kettlenetics/kettlebells perform and are fun!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #128  

I have worked up to a 20 pound kettlebell. I love the workouts and don't miss a day. I rotate kettlenetics and Lauren Brooks workouts and then take my furry friend for a walk. I think that post workout walk helps relieve soreness, or so I have heard. My legs still get slightly sore. My back is so much stronger.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #129  

I increased my reps from 25 to 35 with 32.5 pound KB. I don't want to be a nag, but are you sure doing those every day is good idea? (This is your mother talking )
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #130  

Wow, good job on the 35 pound kettlebell!

Kettlenetics is more cardio than strength training. The weights are really light (it comes with a 4 pound kettlebell.)

That said, I thought I read that even regular kettlebells are ok every day. Maybe I am remembering wrong.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #131  

Thanks...actually I did 2 sets of 35. Today I did one set of 40, followed by a set of 35, with the 32.5 pound KB. That was it though, no more of those for a few days
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #132  
Gone Primal.

S/C/G: 352/248.8/185

Height: 5'7.5"

Just popping in to say, 'hi.'
ResilientWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #133  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
Still loving kettlebells and kettlenetics!!

This weekend I get to do the bod pod test and I am very excited. A part of me wishes that I did it before I started kettlebells because my body is changing quickly.

I feel great and do not dread the workout. I am so grateful to have found a fun workout that strengthens my body. I have never enjoyed free weights--I like how they perform but find it boring--kettlenetics/kettlebells perform and are fun!

I never liked free weights either. I love kettlebells and have been using them for several months. It's helped me reshape my torso considerably. I'm currently at 15 lbs. which is a big deal for me b/c you can see I'm kind of a smaller person (see my stats) but I'm hoping to get to 20 lbs. soon. I love the cleans, snatches and especially the swing moves. You can really feel every muscle in your body working together. It is fun, I agree.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #134  

Hi! How is everyone? Are you still doing your kettlebell workouts? Has anyone completed the 10000 swing challenge?

I stopped my kettlebell workouts to do P90X workouts with my girlfriends. It is a good workout and I like the instructor. Bit, I like my kettlebells better. I am a creature of habit. Although the kettlebell moves are different in my DVD, they are still quite similar. In P90X every day is different, every workout has a lot of variety, and I don't like that.

My heart rate monitor shows about the same burn. I think kettlebells shape my core better. My abs, back, buns, and triceps seem to be stronger.

I got a Paul Katami Kombos DVD that I really like.

My question: do you think it is ok to workout every day with kettlebells? Part of the reason I switched to P90X was that I was starting to feel some tightness in my mid back. I don't know if my form was getting sloppy or if I was overdoing it.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #135  
Just Me

It might be that your form is a bit off. I looked at a few clips of Paul Katami and if you are swinging your bell like him, I'd expect your back to hurt. His form really isn't that good and he seems to do things that you should really not do with a kettlebell of any decent weight.