Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

They are addictive. A couple weeks ago I found a 40 lb kettlebell, I currently have a 35 and a 45... may need the 40 lb
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just bought my first kettlebell. I'm going to start looking at books/dvds for the workouts based on previous recommendations. I'm very excited.

I do have a question that I didn't see answered in previous posts. How often can you use the kettlebell? Is it similar to weight training where you should rest a day in between or can you use it daily?
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #33  
Just Me

Jenjen - it depends how you feel. Some people take rests although I've read that you can use kettlebells every day and you don't need much. There certainly are people who kettlebell every day but you might need to build up to that
Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, nelie. I wasn't sure if the muscles needed a "rest" like they do with weight training. I think I'm really going to enjoy this type of work out.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #35  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I went and bought one tonight. I didn't really have the money - I took $20 out of the (little) money I have put back for my trip to see my daughter the end of the month. I only got a 10 lb one - partly because of the cost and partly because I have some shoulder and elbow issues and didn't want to start out too heavy. Did the workout that came with the kettlebell and it kicked my butt - but it felt good. I did 30 minutes and I am dripping with sweat. I am gonna have to use this several times a week because I can tell it will make a difference with the weightloss. I think I'm gonna be sore tomorrow - but a good kind of sore.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #36  

I love kettlebells!
Jodi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #37  
Mel Belle

S/C/G: 157/ticker/120

Height: 4'11"

Hi all, I am fairly new to kettlebells. The Go Fit kettlebells have been on sale at Target so over a period of a month I have purchased a 15, 20, and 25, (of course I was at Target for other stuff).

I am interested in knowing what kind of workouts everyone is doing. I purchased the Kettlebell Bootcamp and have been doing that, but I'd still like to know what is working for everyone else. Thanks!

Mel
melaniea1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #38  
Gone Primal.

S/C/G: 352/248.8/185

Height: 5'7.5"

I recommend any DVD from Dragon Door (dot) com. Andrea DuCane has a DVD series for special populations that will transform your life, not just your body. I also like Lauren Brooks' DVDs. She's a mom of more than one kidling and still has a functional strong body and is a great teacher (Ultimate Body Sculpt). I won't give birth again without her pregnancy DVD. Mostly I love going to train with my RKC certified coach, Jen Waak of http://movefitfun.com. She's a geek and a Kettlebell enthusiast but her secret to being my favorite trainer is her Z-Health certification. She's rehabilitated my body in ways that the docs said wasn't possible. LOL. She does the impossible with me weekly and I keep coming back for more.
ResilientWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #39  
Gone Primal.

Talking Z-Health and Kettlebells for rehab of shoulders/elbows/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaP View Post
I only got a 10 lb one - partly because of the cost and partly because I have some shoulder and elbow issues and didn't want to start out too heavy... I think I'm gonna be sore tomorrow - but a good kind of sore.
I had badly damaged shoulders and spinal muscles and core in general were weak and ineffective.

My favorite Z-Health DVD, R-phase is all about rehab, restoration and repairing what was lost. Cam shafts are a part of my daily routine for correcting what my giant breastfeeding breasts did to my shoulders. (Went from less than a C-cup to an H-cup in 2 weeks and never had any upper body development or strength before that.)

My favorite kettlebell exercises for my shoulders after my coach gave me the green light to lift them:

*military press
*bent rows
*halos

What excites me every new month is the new nerve function and muscle ability/mobility that I've wanted for so long. It's even more exciting than the weight loss or how I look in my new clothes.

Reading Paul Wade's book Convict Conditioning. Costs a fortune ($42 with tax and shipping) but you could lobby your library to get a copy or split it with a workout buddy. Bodyweight calisthenic progressions that require no equipment and rely on your own body awareness to train you rather than a coach. The progressions are revolutionary, turning the strength training community to take a different look at bodyweight training. If you can get past the testosterone induced lack of accessibility to female language and thinking, it's still science and it works. I never did pushups until a few months ago and now I can 20 at a time. WOOT!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #40  
Gone Primal.

Today I hefted a 16 kg/35 lb Kettlebell with my trainer. Today I repeated this feat twice on each side. That was the best I could do with spotting. I am strong and getting stronger. My planks and pushups are coming along. Leg raises are alright. My Z-Health drills are making a huge difference in my functioning. I feel grateful to be alive and to get to fight through the weakness to liberate my inner athlete.

Last edited by ResilientWoman; 08-30-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #41  

That is so great. I love swinging the 16kls bells. So glad you are feeling good today. Kettlebells will do that for a person Thanks for the update!
dollyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #42  

How much time each day do y'all spend doing your kettlebell workouts?.. seems like I can go only about 20 minutes without being too winded to go on, but I feel like I should be going longer...

Thanks!.. hugs......
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Question Video Suggestions

So I have decided to try working out with Kettlebells! Great I'm excited... but where do I start? I was looking at a couple sites online and found a couple of videos that looked good. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if anyone has suggestions.

I looked at "The kettlebell goddess workout" and also the "From Russia with tough love."

Also: Kettle worx (had an infomercial and seemed very typical of anexercise program)

and "enter the kettlebell"

I'm not looking for a light workout. I want something challenging. Any thoughts or help would be great!
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #44  
Just Me

I think the workbooks help you work out your form and the videos give you a good workout. If you buy kettlebells from goFit (which I recommend), they come with an intro DVD that will help out a bit with form.

I like Art of Strength (http://www.artofstrength.com/) DVDs and I like Enter the kettlebell and from russia with tough love work books. Also crossfit.com has some various videos of kettlebell exercises to help you with form.

Do you have a kettlebell yet? I'd recommend a 20 lb one to start.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

nelie ~ thanks for the help! Although after I checked out that site I have more to look at now! I don't have a kettlebell yet but I had read some of the earlier posts on this thread and it seems 20 pounds is a good starting point. I'm glad I read that because I almost went out and bout a 10 or 15 pound! If you had to choose which DVD is a worth the money? There are so many and I'm a little strapped for cash. I don't have a gym membership so I don't want to spend money and end up hating the video!
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote