Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi all, I'm just back from the gym where I did Stage 2, WB from the NRLW book. I did start with another warm-up set of OH Squats. I did 20 reps with the 18lb body bar, attempted a chin-up (I'm getting close!) and then proceeded with my workout. I feel good and am sweaty.

I'm not a giant cardio fan either, although now that I've quit smoking, my morning runs with the dog are already less painful and more pleasant. Plus, spring is coming and I'm looking forward to being out in the world with my dog, running in the sunshine...
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #47  
Working My Way Back Down

What is this thing called spring? It has been in the 40's here since Sunday, and tonight it is pouring rain. We have very little snow left - but plenty of ice once you get off a main road. We are also having very high winds with the rain and just from the car to the house was a very wet experience (we have no garage, just a carport). Yuck.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #48  
Mel

Fran- My main fruit consumption is apples and frozen mixed berries, so I'm not much help to you. I avoid bananas because of the calories per bite. Other than that, the only fruit I totally avoid is kiwi since it once landed me in the hospital with an allergic reaction. I eat almost all vegies, but try to stay away from the starchier ones: peas are little green starch balls, IMO. I don't eat white potatoes. If it's green, orange, or yellow and leafy or a "fruit" vegetable, I'll eat it. My mainstays are huge mixed greens salads with spinach, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower.

Pat- It's warmer there than here! I don't want spring yet- I have to use my new skis a few times first

lalala- I'm another TV cardio fan. I record LOTS of shows and have a daily dose of crime and gore with my elliptical session. A one hour TV show is perfect for 45 minutes of commercial free cardio!

Elisa! Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time and became reacquainted with the Welcome back to the real world

Off to work- gym at lunch

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Well I'm happy to see I'm in good company in my opinion about cardio. LOL
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #50  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I generally don't mind cardio. If I have my ipod, I can go for hours, or at least one hour . Without the ipod, 20 minutes, max. I generally prefer outside to indoors, but I'm starting a C25K and the treadmill is much kinder to my knees, and with the timer its easier to know when to speed up and slow down.

So I did NRL4W workout 1B yesterday, and today I'm very sore. Someone tell me this will go away by tomorrow, so I can do 1A again.

As for fruit - I love grapes, oranges, apples and pineapple. Anything else is just okay. Except strawberries, which I'm allergic to.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #51  

Hi LWL,

I did the 3rd week of 1B today, and I graduated myself to the 20 kg bar. I feel quite proud of that as I have never lifted with so much weight. I am not sore though, so I might have to go look for my extra weights!

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Gosh, isn't it funny that many of us are allergic to fruit!

Did anyone hear the news clip today that carbs are GOOD for you? It was on a fox or cnn news update, and they're not saying eat crazy stuff, but what was interesting is that for rice, beans and pasta, it is not digested in the stomach but not until later in the intestine where it creates important amino acids which EAT UP fat instead of producing sugars in the stomach. Maybe this is recycled old news, but it was the first time I had heard it.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 61.5/61.5/53 kg=136/136/117lb

Height: 1.63m (5'4")

That's really interesting, Sportmom, do you have a link?
lalala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #54  
Mel

Leg workout today on the ski slope! Brrrrr....

Mel
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #55  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I had to postpone my second 1A workout this morning, I'm still way too sore from 1B. Maybe by this evening. Is there any downside to using a muscle rub cream (besides the smell)? I've heard Jillian Michaels say on her poscasts not to use otc pain relievers like ibuprofen becuase it inhibits the body's own ability to fight pain, so I thought maybe a muscle rub work work differently?
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #56  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

everyone. Haven't been around much, but I'm still here. Still struggling with motivation, though.

Also struggling with my chronic hip injury, unfortunately. The most recent flareup came this weekend, when I (stupidly) went for a 30 min run on the treadmill and then walked/strolled around Phillie for about 6 hours. My own damned fault, but it's still annoying: I'm not even 40, for crying out loud, and it really bothers me that I can't enjoy a day of walking without being in pain for 2 weeks thereafter. God forbid I try to jog regularly, let alone play tennis (which pre-hip I enjoyed a lot).

Enough of my whinging. Hope y'all are having a good week. HD and The Boy are off visiting Grandma this week, so it's been really, really quiet around the home front.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Well the source of the exhaustion is confirmed - I am pregnant! It's been 6 years of trying to get here so this is NOT a complaint. Now the decision as to how much lifting I can continue to do. I want to continue all of it but others in my life wish me to stop almost completely. Somewhere there is probably the correct thing to do.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #58  
Meg

Lifeguard! That's wonderful news!! We've got two moms-to-be in Maintainers: LisaMarie and Wndranne. Maybe you can consult with them about exercise since they're both avid runners?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #59  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wow Congratulations Lifeguard!

I just hope it isn't contagious if there are 3 of you so far...
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #60  
Mel

Congratulations LG!!!! No wonder you are exhausted. I sleepwalked through the first trimester of both my pregnancies. Most docs will tell you to do what you are used to doing, but there are some exercises (mostly prone) that you want to avoid. There are a couple of lifting when Pregnant books out there- check amazon.

nelie- It's certainly not contagious if you just stay on the computer!

Skiing was great today. I'm 100% convinced that I would be unable to do it without the cardio and strength training. My dh, who play ice hockey 1-2 times a week is totally wiped out and he quit an hour before I did

Sure was COLD tho! I stopped when I had no feeling left in my feet- kind of hard to ski that way