Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #76  
No description available.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

It sounded like the only sessions that they offer at this gym are with personal trainers. The owner said they really like to be involved and it sounded like using the equipment without a trainer is discouraged. So if I was going to do extra weights, I would probably go to my in-laws 'cause they have a weight machine. As for cardio, we have an elliptical and most of my cardio is actually running outside, so that piece of it is not something I am looking for.

I am a total novice when it comes to weight machines and lifting. I have discovered a germ of a bicep since I have been using our Bowflex but I have a feeling I don't even know what I don't know about weight lifting, y'know? So the personal trainer, 'weightlifting for dummies', walk me through these bars and weights is exactly what I need.

She asked me what my goals were and I said that one of my initial goals is to do a chin up. She asked me what kind of chin up....ummm....you mean there is more than one kind of chin up? So you see, I need help!

It turns out that one of my friends delivered her baby, so that was a funny coincidence.

Thanks for the comments. I love the expertise on this board! And thanks for the questions, too! I will be asking them.

Last edited by midwife; 02-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #77  
Mel

midwife- I work at a private training gym. Clients are only allowed in there with a trainer, and we charge from $60 per session (if you were an old client who stuck with one of three trainers from 2 previous gyms) to $80 for new clients. If you buy less than 10 sessions at a time, add $5.00 per session.

That really seems too good to be true, to be honest. I don't know of any experienced, certified trainers who would work for that rate, let alone the cut that the gym owner would take.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #78  

Hey Mel,

If you don't mind, I'll PM you the website. The website needs some help technically but it has the trainers' credentials. If you don't mind, I'd be interested in your feedback.

She did give me a discount. People like midwives.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It sounds like a great deal. Are you in a small town? Back home I had a similar deal (although the gym is also open as a regular gym) & it was fantastic. Small town gyms & private, small gyms tend to be able to do cheaper set ups.

I would encourage you to do it, especially if you can sign up for just one month at a time. If you don't like it after the first month, then nothing lost but a few dollars.

Going with the personal trainer was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #80  

Thanks, Lifeguard. :-)

I'm in a medium sized town but in a rural poor state, so I guess that might explain why it is less expensive than in other places. Mel checked out the credentials of the trainers and they seem fine. I think I'll do it!! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Last edited by midwife; 02-22-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #81  

Hi LWL,

Midwife - sorry, no experience at all on the personal training stuff

Lifeguard - congrats on the pregnancy

Just reporting that i did do NRWL 1B again, and definitely graduated myself to the 20 kg barbell. Went for a run outside aftewards, and finished with 5 mins elliptical. And altough the run oputside was not so great ( I put on c25k week 4 and was unable to do the 5 mins runs) I still noticed that I have made major progress in just doing it and while runing. I used to think days about if I woould run outside, and now i just thought the weather looks nice, put on my shoes and went out of the door.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #82  

I signed up today and my first session is Monday.

She sent me to a sports nutrition store with a list. The woman working in the store thought we were there for my 15 year old daughter. Nope---it's all about mama!

I bought protein powder, glucosamine powder, and an EFA supplement. She recommended a certain mutlivitamin but they were out so I will go back later this week. This list reflected the basics listed above in a sticky from Mrs. Jim, so I feel like I am on the right path.

So much of this is new for me. Drinking calories? I have worked a long time to get away from that. She explained that the protein in a shake is absorbed more rapidly following a work out and talked about protein synthesis happening in the first 20 minutes.

I feel so trusting. I'm sure I'll be full of questions, angst, and excitement. Starting something new is both fun and scary.

Have a good weekend ladies!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #83  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, LWL!

Enough futzing around: spring is just around the corner, I'm going to Arizona over spring break, and it's TIME to lose the holiday weight. Yeah, I know ... it's nearly March!

I haven't been having a lot of success in the clean eating department (damn you, Trader Joe's peanut butter), but at least my workouts are going well. I did weighted pullups for the first time yesterday. It was just a dime plate, but I figure with the 2-3 pounds from the chain + the 5 extra pounds of lard I'm carrying around, that's nearly 20 lbs, no?

BTW, I saw a serious lifter at the gym yesterday. Short burly guy, powerlifter build. He was doing deadlifts on the platform next to me. Singles, at 535 lbs. As in, a 50Kg plate + 3 45s on EACH side of the bar. That's like, a quarter of an elephant. A third of a moose. Half a Smart car. Nearly four of me.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #84  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Midwife: I am so excited for you! This will be a great new adventure for you. It is a lot of information to take in at once and I am sure must feel like you just have to trust a lot of people right now. The more you read the more you will begin to see the same things repeated in different areas. This will help you feel a little more confident about the new choices you are making.

I had to smirk at the assumption from the clerk this was for your teenage daughter. Don't feel bad. It's happened to me too. Last month I went into my friendly Wild Oats store to pick up my supplements when the clerk behind the counter asked if there was an "athlete" in the family. (Everyone else here knows this story) Okay, so I am nearly 40 and old enough to have a kid in HS I suppose...Anyway, I said "Yeah, it's me." He sputtered a moment and then challenged me with a what do you do comment. Course when I told him I lift he was like oh yeah, my mom does that a little bit its good for her osteoporosis... Whatever chump.

Anyway. Enjoy the process and you are right it is all about Mama as it should be. At least once in a while.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
BTW, I saw a serious lifter at the gym yesterday. Short burly guy, powerlifter build. He was doing deadlifts on the platform next to me. Singles, at 535 lbs. As in, a 50Kg plate + 3 45s on EACH side of the bar. That's like, a quarter of an elephant. A third of a moose. Half a Smart car. Nearly four of me.

Be strong,
Kim
LMAO!!! You're too funny! Actually this sounds like my trainer & the guys he trains with. They pull crazy big numbers. Kind of inspiring & kind of scary. Sigh - no big numbers for me for awhile - it's too bad - I like max lift days.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #86  

Just returned home from the gym. Ugh - this exhaustion sucks. Within a few minutes I'm sweating & out of breath & hoping for it all to end. It's taking me so much longer to get through my workouts! Ah well, all for a good cause.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depalma View Post
She cited a study that showd that 1/2 cup of cherry juice post workout has shown to have an antinflammatory effect.
I have to tout the use of cherry juice. My DH takes it for aches and pains (not related to lifting--I just can't get him to lift weights!) that affect sleeping, and it really works well for him. He's quit a couple of times because he didn't think the cherry juice was really working, and each time, the aches and pains came back so he doesn't sleep well. Anecdotal information, of course, but it certainly works well for him. He used to take NSAIDS all the time, but seldom takes them since he started using cherry juice each night. When he's traveling he takes the cherry juice pills.

Last edited by Sheila53; 02-24-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #88  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wish me luck. In a few moments, I'm heading to a gym. I haven't been in a gym in uhh well over a year We'll see what happens.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #89  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Nelie So....How was it?

Finally I felt well enough to go try one of the new gyms I toured last weekend. It was a nice workout. I think I would like to see what it would be like on a weekday morning before I make any decisions. So far though, I'm thinking I like the way my current place is set up much better. If the new place were my only option I could be quite happy doing my thing there but I have choices.

Sheila: Thanks for sharing the cherry juice! They sell it in pill form? This is something I would like to try. Darn. Knees.

Have a great evening everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #90  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sigh....

Something happened on the way to the gym that reinforced my reasonings for not joining a gym.

On the way to the gym, I saw a kitty on the side of the road, partially in the road. So I stopped in the middle of the road and put on my emergency lights. The car behind me stopped as well. I thought the kitty was eating something, but no, the kitty was bleeding out of her mouth/nose. Someone had hit her. I tried to pick her up but her shoulder was dislocated and she was in a lot of pain. Luckily another car pulled up with a box to put the kitty in and they took the kitty somewhere. They said they knew where to take her.

So I was pretty sad and unmotivated after that but I decided to go try the gym anyway. It was good to workout and a free workout is always appreciated but I think my babies are more important to me than getting out and joining a gym. I hugged my babies when I got home, thankful that they are safe.

I am also amazed at how many people stopped to help the little scared and hurt kitty. I hope she is making friends in kitty heaven as I think she probably had a hard life although she didn't seem feral but was without any tags and was very dirty.

Oh and some butt head also pulled up and started talking about how a rabid raccoon was found recently, blah blah blah. I guess he didn't think we should've stopped and helped the kitty. I only do what I know how to do although I never felt so helpless because I knew my vet was closed and I didn't have anything to carry the kitty in.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote