Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #1  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Default Normal to be this sore?

I'm curious if it's normal to be as sore as I am today? I started weightlifting again yesterday. I've done it in the past, but I obviously don't remember being this sore. I did a rather simple, but intense routine of lat pulldowns, seated row, barbell bicep curl, deadlifts, hammer curls and tricep extensions (I think that's it). Today I can hardly get onto the toilet... couldn't iron... couldn't fasten my bra... cannot unload the dishwasher... cannot pick up my kiddos... whine... whine... whine! And I was planning to do it again tomorrow, but now I'm wondering how long I need to wait? I actually feel raw inside. This is way beyond the "good sore" feeling.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  
Meg

Nori, unfortunately, it IS normal to be that sore when you're first starting (or restarting). Thank goodness, you'll never be that sore again -- unless you quit, which you won't, right?

Since you did a full-body workout and you're sore all over, I'd suggest giving your muscles at least another day to recover and repair. Wait until it isn't so painful, probably a few days. When you resume, you could split your muscles up into separate days rather than doing a full-body workout every time to give each muscle group a little more time to recover between workouts. Or some people like an upper body-lower body split.

Regardless, you'll be feeling better tomorrow! And you should be happy that you did something very good for yourself.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I would guess if varies by individual, but I definitely get some heavy duty soreness after a break or after trying something that perhaps trains muscles in a way I'm not used to, yes that "the toilet is all the way down there!?" soreness. Might want to space your lifting to a little less than every other day for a while, but for me the soreness usually gets to be less after a couple weeks in a routine. If you suspect you might be overdoing it or might be experiencing a mild injury due to form or some other issue it never hurts to see a good personal trainer once to make sure your workout routine is being done properly and is appropriate for you.

ETA: I see Meg beat me to it, good advice from the pro around here

Last edited by shananigans; 12-16-2007 at 06:05 PM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Thank goodness, you'll never be that sore again -- unless you quit, which you won't, right?
Right! I was so tickled to be able to do some of the weight amounts I did...now I'm thinking I was too aggressive! Ouch! I'll wait until Tuesday. Thanks ladies!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

And take some ibuprofen for the pain, it will take the edge off the pain and allow you to function (and sleep). I did this to myself once so bad I actually kept waking up in throbbing pain - that's when I knew I couldn't just tough it out.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Nori Hope you are feeling strength in your muscles instead of soreness soon. It does take a while but so worth the effort. 'Course you already know this. Happy lifting.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Some stretching and moving around (even though it hurts) can really loosen things up. That was something I had to learn the hard way & now when I'm sore I push myself to get through the warm up & I always feel better for doing so.

Good for you for starting!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I was listening to one of the trainers at the Y tonite talk about one of their own instructors who took a break during the 3 weeks between sessions. When she came back to work with the trainer again, he reported that she said she was dying the next day and was begging for mercy. He said he personally ensured she would never take a 3 week break again!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #9  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Over the past decade of lifting, I've become well acquainted with the "off-again-on-again sores." Just to give you something to look forward to, days 2 and 3 after the second workout are usually the worst.

When I'm starting up again after a long break, I often through in a bit of very light cardio after my lifting workout, especially if it involves legs. Then light stretching. Light is the operative word; the goal here is not to improve cardiovascular health or flexibility, but to get the blood flowing to the muscles and jump start the process of repair.

This helps a bit. So do ibuprofin, and strong towel bars to get down & back up again. What helps the most, though, is knowing that it's temporary, and that it means you're doing something positive for your health.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 AM   #10  
One life, live it well

Ok, I'm almost 80% now! It was some of the craziest sensations though. You know how when a sunburn is healing you get so itchy? I swear my muscles were "itchy" on Monday and even yesterday! I did the same routine again yesterday, with a little lower weight on some of them. I'm that "good" sore now.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #11  
Meg

Yay, Nori! You're in the groove now!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote