Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #31  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hi there!
I remember when I was around 15, 150 lbs sounded HUGE - (I'll NEVER get that fat). Years later, at 243 (!!!!), 150 sounds like a great number I think that eating plans are great, but there is a HUGE psycological component to dieting (otherwise food restriction would work for everyone and be sustainable!). I found the book "The Thin Commandments" to be interesting in addressing these issues, but there are lots of other similar books to be read. Also, a support group for weight loss might help, such as Weight Watchers, or TOPS, or others. I know you are in Hong Kong, but if you go www.weightwatchers.com and plug into the international locations tag, you will find meetings close to you. Of course, 3fatchicks is a great support forum! I find that I need face-to-face contact as well as this forum, but everyone is different. You aren't alone! Keep it up!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #32  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Beth,

Sorry to hear about your daughter struggling and your relationship. Yes its very tough, but the only way I see to get through it is with the support of my husband, family and friends. Its tough to do alone.

I wish your daughter well and you too!

freiamaya - I hear ya. I was 170 in HS after a 50 lb. weight loss and although I did look a lot better and felt good, I still felt so HUGE compared to the other girls. Now I would LOVE to be that again!!!!

I wish everyone the best through their daily struggles. I know it is hard, but you are not alone, you have all of us battling with you.

*Flady*
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 AM   #33  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Can you believe this? ... When I was in high school I weighed between 115 and 120lbs ... and STILL I wasn't happy!!!! I was constantly trying out new diets and trying to lose a few extra pounds!! How ridiculous is that?!! What I wouldn't give to have that figure back now ... but I'd be happy with anything that would allow me to wear a couple of sizes smaller than I am now! ... For starters anyway!

Nichola
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #34  
~Believe~

Nicola - I hear ya. I haven't been 115 or 120 since probably MAYBE jr. high.......IF even then. But I would be happy to be down a couple sizes just like you said.

I bought all new clothes and they do fit, but I don't like the way two new outfits fit. So I'm considering giving them away or selling them. It makes me so depressed.

*Flady*
Old 05-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #35  

Flady ... I know the problem ... I went shopping today for a new outfit to wear this evening, but everything I tried looked awful ... even the clothes that fit me size-wise didn't fit me right ... I could see every bump and buldge underneath and I was so depressed looking at myself in the changing room mirrors ... I felt like screaming!! Eventually settled for a pair of black linen trousers (how many pairs of black trousers can a girl have?!), and a red top. Not what I would have liked to choose but I don't have much choice if I don't want to look like a sack of potatoes! It really p****s me o** ... I've finally come to a point in my life where I can actually afford to go out and buy new clothes if I want them ... but nothing ever looks good enough to buy ... and whose fault is that?

Nichola
Old 05-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #36  
AJL

S/C/G: 190/140

yes this would be me as well. I'm 190 right now, I didn't even weigh this much when I was 9 months pregnant. My last two babies were NICU babies and I tend to eat when I'm stressed. I'm on day number 4 of making better eating choices PLUS exercise! I have been so good and am so proud. Last night I was sooooo close to screwing up but did not
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #37  
~Believe~

I feel the same way, Nichola. I too now have the means to buy clothes if I want, but when I do, they don't fit right. Like you I see every bump, bulge, etc. Even though hub says they look fine. What do mean know about clothes anyways? LMAO!

I blame all those stupid skinny @$$ models and actresses on tv and in magazines. And all those stupid commercials for pills for quick weight loss! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

*Flady*
Old 05-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #38  

AJL, welcome and well done for keeping your willpower under control

Well, I had some very bad news yesterday ... had a telephone call to say that my work collegue had been taken into hospital ... she'd had a heart attack ... and she's only 35!! I think I'm still in a state of shock, I can't get my head around the fact that these things happen to people so young. It's not until something happens to someone close to you that you realise how fragile life really is. It's made me think more seriously that perhaps it's about time I started to look after myself properly instead of abusing my body with years of yo-yo dieting, overeating, and too much alcohol!! It's a shame that it's taken something like this to make me realise I need to take better care of myself.

Nichola
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #39  
banned

Wake-up calls SUCK. As for the clothing issue, trying to fit a British/European body into an Asian-tailored garment just won't work, no matter what your weight is, unless you surgically remove your bum, hips, and boobs. Don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #40  

I just wanted to thank you for this thread. I recently moved into the over 200 range for the first time and let me tell you---save yourself NOW. It's only worse on the other side of 200. More weight to lose and even more depression. There's just something about 200 lbs that you KNOW you're a fat person.

Anyway, I say thank you, because I think this has motivated me to start again on my journey down the scale.

Good luck to us all.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #41  

Hi to both of you

Beginme - glad the thread has been motivating for you, good luck with your journey

Freiamaya - You made me laugh ... you are so right about trying to fit my round British body into Asian garments ... shopping for clothes here is a nightmare!! Alas, I was trying on clothes in that famous British store "Marks & Spencer" ... and even their clothing no longer fits properly! I guess it's time for surgery!!

Nichola
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #42  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I hope by Asian you mean the Far East, because I'm Asian too and I have a butt and hips to THERE. I think most Indian chicks do too - there's a very small population where the hips are nonexistent. Even thin Indians have hips that are noticeably wider than the waist. I think that looks pretty and that's what I want.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #43  
banned

Sorry! No offense to anyone meant! I was referring to the Far East dress makers as our original poster is in Hong Kong, vs the South Asian market. Have you ever tried those cute little chinese-style silk dresses made in Thailand in an XL size? I can't get them over my thigh...And the SHOES!!! (Insert hysterical laughter here...). Sigh...
Old 06-10-2006, 02:57 AM   #44  

freiamaya ... I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is shopping for clothes here in HK. You walk into a shop and can see the assistants looking at you as if to say "Why on earth has SHE come in here, nothing will fit", it makes you feel SO uncomfortable. Even when I'm in there with my teenaged daughter looking for clothes for her (she's skinny!), I still feel as though I have no right to be in there ... they are SO rude! Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me (YET!), but lots of people I know have actually had comments made to them like "No fat clothes here for you!" ... Can you believe that?! ... And I'm not talking about people who are overweight either ... things like this are said to Westerners who weigh about 130lbs!!!! Most of the local women here are SO skinny, they have no chest, no butt, and look like ironing boards! I can't wait to go back to the UK in July for my summer holiday so that I can stock up on clothes for "real" women (even if they are several sizes larger than I would like them to be! ) ... And bras! ... I'm desperate for bras that do not have 2 inches of padding in them, and are larger than a 32AAA!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 AM   #45  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Speaking on wake up calls. I had a dear friend that worked at the same company as me and during her vacation over last Christmas she failed to return to work. After several calls she was located at her mothers in Northern California. She had been hospitalised and was undergoing tests, after several days of different stories and rumors going around I got the call from her sister to inform everyone at work she had died that morning. She was 34. She had an advanced stage of melinoma, first it was 1 year with kimo, then 6months, then....she was gone. One minute she was there and the next gone forever. I still miss her very much.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote