Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 AM   #1  

Angry Steel Magnolias -- #347

Good Evening, Flowers!
Just peeking in before I head off to bed. Tomorrow will be a busy day so I'm not sure if I will have time on the computer or not. It all depends on when the kids and grandkids show up.

Our weather has cooled down about 30 degrees. I had to shut the windows this evening as there was a stiff breeze blowing in from the lake. . . it was more than comfortably cool and smelled a tad fishy!

Gloria -- Hi Stranger! If we are lucky the roofers will be done sometime in October. They don't show up until Monday afternoon and leave at noon on Friday -- the company is a 3+ hour drive away from here. Why the school board didn't hire someone closer to home is beyond me. Hope you have a nice weekend -- enjoy your clean floor!

Maggie -- Again, congrats on the lost pound! Any loss is a great loss! Wish Will a Happy Birthday for me -- I'm sure the party will be a huge success.

"Gma" -- Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us -- you are smart to take pictures as you lose the weight. Our family has several birthday and anniversary celebrations in the fall also. Ian's first birthday is Thanksgiving weekend and there is a wedding on his mother's side of the family the same day. I told her to celebrate a week early as he'lll never know the difference this year. Take a picture of the dog sitting in/on his car seat. I've never seen one except in pet catalogs but think they would be a great idea. Good luck with the job possibility; you couldn't ask for anything that would be more convenient for you.

Have a relaxing weekend, Flowers! Now if we hear from Bubbles, the roll call will be complete. Whatever happened to Joyce??

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:57 AM   #2  

Just a quicky!

Jean: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i AM GIVING YOU THIS CAKE BUT EXPECT YOU TO BE INTELLIGENT ABOUT EATING IT!

Today is going to be another busy day. Commissary shopping and the cat has "redecorated" a portion of the ceiling above the fridge and Jack has to try and patch it someway and it isn't going to be easy.

It is supposed to rain here all weekend, but I hope it holds off on Monday and dd, sil and the big T are coming for a cookout. I guess we will be using the broiler if it rains! T's mom is going to kill me because I bought him Findins Nemo cookies and ice cream and cones to eat!

BUBS< JOYCE< MAGGIE>GLORIA hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

Faye
Old 08-30-2003, 02:59 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: What's the secret to healthy eating?

A: Thicker gravy.

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO ...... Cocoa beans ... another vegetable!!! It's the best feel good food around!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

Now go have a cookie...flour is a veggie!
Old 08-31-2003, 12:44 AM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am all babied out for one day! Not only did we have Ian and Madaline here most of the day, we had Ian's cousin who is 3 months old, a friend stopped in to visit with her 6 month old, and one of the guests brought her daughter who is 2 1/2! Ian kept trying to take Jarin's pacifier which was hooked to his shirt with a dodingus and Ian couldn't figure out why he couldn't just carry it around without a baby attached to it. We had two great grandmas who spent the afternoon with us and 15 adults for the evening. After everyone left, DH propped Ian against a pillow on the couch and just talked to him to sleep. It was so cute!

"Gma" -- It's not my birthday yet . . . it is ds, Jason's, on the 3rd. Mine is in October right next to Maggie's special day. I hope the weather cooperates for your cookout! It has cooled down here and we were able to be out on the deck tonight, first time all summer.

Maggie -- I got a chuckle out of your health tips! Wish some of them were really true!

I am off to bed! Have a super Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #5  

Just peeking in to see if anyone has posted lately.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend! Happy September 1st -- can you believe it?

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #6  

Jean: I read your post wrong about the birthday! DUH!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I have been sick as a dog the whole time and dd sil and the live wire were here yesterday and I didn't even get to enjoy them.

I guess they are going to leave the pool open for 2 more weeks which is nice, but I have to start walking to get myself ready for my 5 k. DD and I finally found the right race and it is the 25th of Oct so I have some time. I have already done 2.4 miles so I think I can do 3.1 if I just work at it and the glider is helping build up my legs etc for walking too.

Butterscotch keeps getting into our patch job above the fridge. I had to get up there and repatch part of it this morning. If we can get it dry I can sand and paint it, but he gets into it every night while we are in bed! Maybe it will be dry enough to sand this evening and I can get paint on it.

Well, better run.

Faye
Old 09-02-2003, 09:56 PM   #7  

Angry

Good Evening, Flowers!
It a warm evening and I'm hoping it will cool off before bedtime. It was hard to get going after having a three day weekend vacation from school. One of the teachers suggested we should have a long weekend once a month! There has been so much hullabaoo (because of the heat) over starting school so early when the state says we are to start after Sept. 1, I don't think long the weekend idea would fly with the powers to be.

"Gma" -- Sorry to hear you were under the weather this weekend. Hope you are on the mend by now. Good luck with your training for the 5 k.

Maggie -- How was the party?

It's time to figure out what I'm wearing tomorrow and head for bed. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:26 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Unhappy

I can't say I am too thrilled about the new WW system because I followed it to the "t" this week and ate the points that they said I SHOULD and showed a gain of 4.4 pounds. So my friends I am going back to my tried and true method of varying my points each day.

With the points I ate when I lost my 50 pounds the weeks intake averaged to 25 points a day. With this new program the points I was allotted was 10 more a day than that! Every point = 60 calories. So with the new program I was eating 2100 calories a day and with my program I was eating 1500 on average a day. Makes a huge difference to my system.

So instead of the 30 points a day with 35 flex points to use when ever I want, I will follow my old program which has 13 flex points. (I never called them "flex points" back then but in reality it is the same principal.)

Many can lose on the WW program as written so I am not saying it won't work. But I have to keep my metabolism guessing so it won't think I am starving my body and hold on to the weight ~ and this is what I have found that works for me.

THURSDAY ~ a super high day ~ 35 points
FRIDAY ~ a very low day ~ 18 points
SATURDAY ~ a high day ~ 25 points
SUNDAY ~ a medium high day ~ 23 points
MONDAY ~ a very low day ~ 18 points
TUESDAY ~ a medium high day ~ 24 points
WEDNESDAY ~ a low day ~ 19 points

Then to make my average points intake 25 points a day for the week I have 13 Flex Points that I can use when ever I choose. Also I am glad that I can program the new calculator each day to show my ever changing "target points."

Now I am looking forward to my next weigh in!
Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 PM   #9  

Angry

Good Evening, Flowers!
I stopped by earlier, didn't see the thread and didn't have time to go looking for it. All of a sudden it seems like lots more people are posting on the Support site.

Maggie -- As I said before, I'm sure you will show a loss next week by doing it your way! How do you decide how many points are for which day?

I had a meeting tonight and then three of us sat around and visited for another hour after the meeting was over. It's nice to catch up once in awhile.

I need to fold a load of towels, figure out what I am wearing tomorrow, and head for bed. I really need to go shopping for some clothes now that the weather has cooled off.

Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #10  
Thin Within

JEAN I got that idea from the Wendie Plan. Fluctuate your points and it it keeps your metabolism guessing. I used the two lowest spreads of the old WW plan and made my plan from that to average 25 points a day including my floating 13 points. If I have a "food function" to go to then I can change my Super High Point day if I choose. Works for me.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 AM   #11  

Hey girls! Busy as usual so haven't had much time for posting!

Maggie: I hope your new WW "thinking" works out well for you!

Jean: How's the baby and the BIG boy doing? I got my ice show tickets yesterday so now we are all set for the big day. I am really looking forward to it as this will be the first time we have ever been able to take him anywhere by ourselves other than babysitting. He'll get to pick dinner, hope it's not his favorite, "Quigznos..." I can usually redirect, but his choices are always, Quiznos, Chinese, or Cracker Barrel! Can you believe a kid that doesn't pick McDonalds! Kelly did something right!

I am gearing up for my walk and did 3 miles the other day. I am still doing the pool and the glider too so I get plenty of exercise. Wish my food was as good, but I am bound and determined to work hard on that.

Bubs: Hope your poochie is not driving you nuts

Gloria Hello to you!

Gotta run. Got the ceiling painted then went on to repaint touchups in the kitchen and laundry room so I am on a roll and now am going to repaint the countertops as they could use a little sprucing and then am going to repaint the cabinets. Have a brand new kitchen before it is over!

Faye
Old 09-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #12  

Thanks Faye, but the poochie may drive me to drink! The bigger she gets the more frustrated I get! I'm too old for this! You are amazing to me with your dedication to the exercising! You go girl! I started PT for my right shoulder Tuesday, so am hoping it will improve rapidly.

Finally cooled off today.........hooray! I was ready to move to Maine or Canada.

Most of our new members did OK with the new FlexPoints program, but we warned them to stay away from those FPs except in an emergency, and to definitely not eat all 35 of them. Maggie, what's the website for Wendie's plan? I keep getting thrown into Dottie's plan. My former pastor is having trouble getting off his plateau, and I thought maybe your method could get him jump started again. He's been stuck at 194 for several months, and is 64. If you were he, what would your highs and lows look like?

Off to watch tennis........finally! I played Varsity tennis for 4 years in HS, and just gave it up a couple of years ago when all my friends turned to golf.

Love to you all,
Bubs

Last edited by graybubs; 09-05-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We are invited next door, to the cat haters house, for a "block" party of coffee and cookies in the driveway. What I find interesting is that another neighbor called and invited us! They have ignored us all summer long after she cornered DH about OUR kitten climbing HER trees and scaring HER birds. That kitten has been transplanted to a new home but now I have 4 more to find a home for. I'm hoping she says something to me and I will mention the fact that we haven't seen any snakes or mice that live in HER woodpile since I've been feeding the stray cats!

Maggie -- I know about the Wendie plan but I just didn't know how many points to allow on which day. I was going to do the same amount every other day.

"Gma" -- I've never heard of Quiznos -- what kind of restaurant is that? I know you will enjoy your time at the ice show -- I love to go myself. Ian is walking all over and so proud of himself. The baby is a doll (of course!) and I wish we lived a bit closer so I could see them during the week.

Bubbles -- I hope the PT does the trick for your shoulder! I had tennis on my VCR tape today, instead of my favorite soap. I was NOT a happy camper! If you want the replays, I'll be glad to send it to you!

I need to change clothes and get presentable for the get together. At least it won't last long since it is getting dark by 8:00 now and the bugs will be out, I'm sure. I hate feeling like "I should/have to" for this stuff!

Have a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #14  
Thin Within

JEAN here is Wendie's breakdown on the points ~ hope this is what you wanted.

Winning Points Ranges

18-23 ~ Less than 150 pounds

Day 1 – 18
Day 2 – 23
Day 3 – 19
Day 4 – 30-33
Day 5 – 18
Day 6 – 22
Day 7 - 20

20-25 ~150 – 174 pounds

Day 1 – 20
Day 2 – 25
Day 3 – 21
Day 4 – 32-35
Day 5 – 20
Day 6 – 24
Day 7 - 22

22-27 ~ 175 - 199 pounds

Day 1 – 22
Day 2 – 27
Day 3 – 23
Day 4 – 34-37
Day 5 – 22
Day 6 – 26
Day 7 - 24

24-29 ~ 200 – 224 pounds

Day 1 – 24
Day 2 – 29
Day 3 – 25
Day 4 – 36-39
Day 5 – 24
Day 6 – 28
Day 7 - 26

26-31 ~ 225 – 249 pounds

Day 1 – 26
Day 2 – 31
Day 3 – 27
Day 4 – 38-41
Day 5 – 26
Day 6 – 30
Day 7 - 28

28-33 ~ 250 – 274 pounds

Day 1 – 28
Day 2 – 33
Day 3 – 29
Day 4 – 40-43
Day 5 – 28
Day 6 – 32
Day 7 - 30
Old 09-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I just finished the cutest little building ~ I call it my "flower shop" for it has a arbor in front and I used green glass beeds for the leaves and pink for the flowers and made them climb up an over it on twisted copper wire & also made some climb up the back of the building and over the roof. I am having such a good time making this little village I can't wait until I get them "lighted."

I am back on track now and it sure feels good! I still wonder why I did that last week because if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Have a good weekend folks and, this is post #14 so the next one gets to start a new thread.
Closed Thread