Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:14 AM   #61  

Angel - you are just amazing with those grapics. I am sure if I wanted to know what a tamarisk (tamarask?) looked like, you would be able to find one. Wish I could do all that clever IT stuff. Which kind of leads me to an apology in advance..I am about to try to pasta two recipes here but expect them to go all over the place if I can get it to do it..here goes..

Chilli Pasta Bake
Serves 4. Per serving 250 Calories 3.3 gm fat.
Ingredients
8oz (225g) dry weight pasta shapes
2 courgettes, diced
2 medium leeks, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 pint (600ml) tomato passata
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
salt and black pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 190C, 375F or gas mark 5
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until tender then drain.
In a large non-stick saucepan dry-fry the courgette, leeks and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
Add the chilli, herbs and passata. Stir in the cooked pasta and season to taste.
Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Just before serving, drizzle with the yoghurt.
Serve with salad or crusty bread.

· Passata is liquid sieved tomatoes (in case you don’t call it that)
· I have used dried herbs instead of fresh
· If you don’t like chilli, use 1 chopped red bell pepper.

Cottage Pie with Leek and Potato topping.
Serves 4. Per serving: with cheese 359 Calories 8g fat.
Without cheese: 327 calories 6.2G fat.
Ingredients
1lb (450g) lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
½ pint (300ml) stock
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
salt and black pepper

for the topping
1 ½ lb (675g) potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, sliced
2 tablespoons skimmed milk
2oz (50g) low-fat Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
salt and black pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 190c, 375F Gas mark 5
Boil the potatoes until softened, adding the leeks 5 minutes
before end of cooking.
Meanwhile, dry-fry the ground beef for 3-4 minutes in a non-stick pan.
Remove the beef from the pan and drain. Discard the liquid and put the
meat to one side. Wipe out the pan. Return the meat to the pan.
Add the onion and carrots and stir in the flour. Gradually add the stock,
tomato puree and dried herbs. Bring to the boil and stir until thickened.
Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
Drain the potatoes and leeks and mash with a little milk and half the cheese.
Season to taste. Place on top of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining
Cheese (if using). Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden.

· Can use ground lamb or pork instead of beef.
· I recommend that you double the potato quantity if also serving non-reducing people as I don’t think there is enough of it, myself.

Wow, wonders will never cease, though the bold lettering and underlining didn't come out. I have tried both the above and found them to be tasty and I have frozen them in tin foil containers too.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:36 AM   #62  

Sheila - had to tell you Robson Green, Michael Kitchen and Francesca Annis were in Reckless and seems there is a sequel to it. Anna and Owen are living together and impulsively decide to marry while Richard is out of the country. Richard gets to hear of it and flies back, still loves Anna and hopes to persuade her from what he sees as making a big mistake. Ahhhh...no contest for me though, that Michael Kitchen wins hands down.
Never watched the Scots detective series, was it called Rhebus? I know it got good write ups in the press.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:10 AM   #63  

T-a-m-a-r-i-s-k

Tamarisk reduces groundwater, causing springs to dry up.
Money and hard work are required to get rid of these invaders.
A large tamarisk tree can absorb up to 1000 liters of water per day!

Tamarisk normally grow only in Africa, Asia, and Europe.
The common name, salt cedar, refers to the tree's thin, cedar-like leaves and the tree's ability to grow in salty soils.
There are five species of Tamarix which invade the U.S.Settlers planted tamarisk as shade trees, for wood, and to control erosion along streambanks.
The "escaped" plants now infest about 40,000 ha in the southwestern states.
Tamarisk was sold to settlers in California in the 1850's.

Tamarisk Farm Pedigree British Shorthair Kittens

Old 09-15-2003, 12:29 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, I learn something knew every day. I didn't know that salt cedar is the same thing as a tamarisk. I didn't even know what a salt cedar was until I lived in Idaho. Great info, Charlotte. And I LOVE those kittens.

Fatpuss, I'm glad you knew who I was talking about. I laughed so hard about you saying your daughter was going to be a junior doctor like the Robson Green character, but hopefully she wouldn't fool around with the consultant's spouse. Hey, the recipes sound lovely (I love spicy stuff), but what the heck is a courgette? And what is tomato passata? See, we Yanks really don't speak English, although I'd swear courgette is French and passata might be Italian!

I bet your DH did start panicking when your Mom said that she's no good on her own. I can just picture his face. She needs a hobby besides the one she has--making you miserable! Oh, and I think the show was Rhebus.

My DH worked on painting for a while yesterday--not much more to do. We had to take our two dogs to the vet for vaccinations. I always feel bad because they love to go for car rides, then are terribly disappointed when we end up at the vet or the groomer. We need to start taking them to the beach again. I've been giving my oldest dog glucosamine and it seems to be helping her joints. I thought my little MinPin was too fat, but he's actually lost weight. Hhmm, I'm having a problem with my own body image and now I'm transferring that to him--yikes!

After the vet we had to go shopping, which is my least favorite thing to do. Mopping the floor is a close second. Actually, I don't mind shopping at Trader Joe's, but I'm getting frustrated because they keep discontinuing things I really like, and then I have to find substitutes.

No aerobics class again for the week because my son is using our car to get to work. I'll have to pull out my old Richard Simmons tape as well as taking the dogs for a walk. Miss Molly, who is almost 17, just can't walk far enough for me to get as much exercise as I like so walking dogs is my supplemental exercise.

Hope everyone is starting their work day well rested. Hey, has anybody ever applied for long term care insurance? I'm looking into it and was hoping to get some pointers on what to look for. They say it's best to buy it in your 50s.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:07 PM   #65  

Good evening all. Don't know where the time goes.

Who would have thought the lowly zucchini would sound so elegant - courgette! Reminds me of the "warning" that was in our local paper one year to keep your car doors locked. Seems there was an abundance of squash that year and people would come out of stores to find a back seat full of zucchini. One lady stood a bunch of them up against her fence with little hats on them. A sign said "It's National Zucchini Week - Take one out to lunch, or better yet, take a few home FOR lunch" I, myself, love the stuff.

Angel - where can I order one of those pink kittens. They are adorable.

Jacquie - Welcome from one Canadian to another. I am transplanted, but will always be a "Kanuck". I know the feeling of being depressed. I have taken off this weight before (several times I think). You think I would have the hang of it by now. I think we all have the will power, its the "won't power" we need. Like I won't eat that piece of pie; I won't eat that ice cream or second or third helping of lasagna. etc etc

Willow, Sheila, FatPuss and Bluet Any words of inspiration for those of us (?) who are stuck in a tub of molasses. I am going to class this week, up or down, and then will try and get with the program. Once DD leaves next Sunday, I hope this eating frenzy will come to a screeching halt. We spent the day in Vermont on Saturday. I won't go into the details, but the homemade caramel nut ice cream was to die for. And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Just scanning back to the posts about the bees. Had them in the ceiling once. The Bee People came and stuck something like an oversized hypodermic needle through the sheetrock and sprayed. That took care of them. Really weird to hear all the buzzing inside the house!

Guess I better get some dinner started. My turn tonight. Linguine with chicken with broccoli. Till tomorrow - Sue
Old 09-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #66  

Thanks, Sue, for explaining what a courgette is. I wonder if gardeners asked their friends if they'd like a couple of courgettes instead of zucchini if maybe they'd get a better response? I love the lady who put hats on them. I like zucchini, too, but quit growing any kind of squash because I was the only one in my family who liked them and even one plant was too much.

You'll get back on track soon, Sue. I have no doubt about that!

Well, my father fell outside the church where he went to vote on the wrong day. He was calling for help for a while before a kid saw him, and tried to help him up. Unfortunately, the kid couldn't get him up, but he did go run and get an exercise instructor who was teaching a class at the church. She was able to get him to his feet and the insisted on putting a big bandage on his knee and a bandaid near his eye. He didn't even tell us this until dinnertime when he came in with blood running down his face (from the cut near his eye) and a big bandage over his knee. I cleaned his face up, but I'll wait until tomorrow to take a look at the scrapes. I'm worried about the one on his leg because he has major problems with ulcerations on that leg because of the diabetes. I really wish he'd use a walker, but he's determined to be independent, so I just hold my breath every time he drives off. I'm going to have to get the name of that instructor and write her a thank-you note. Maybe the scare of being stuck on the ground with no way up will make him be more amenable to a walker. I doubt it, though. *Sigh*

Well, off for another walk with the dogs before it gets too dark. I ate pizza tonight so I feel the need to walk some of it off.

Hope everyone who is near the oncoming storm is getting prepared--sounds pretty bad, but I'm crossing my fingers that it veers away from the east coast.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:17 AM   #67  

Thanks, Sue for the courgette/zucchini info. I remember watching Sesame Street with my kids years ago and wondering what some of the stuff was on the A to Z (I know you say zee and we say zed) of fruit and veg. I am the last one to look for inspiration right now, DH and I spent the day preparing the woodwork for painting the upper level and all of the back of the house (eaves of the roof, windows etc) and I ended a good energetic day with THREE cream cakes and Danish pastry. Keep telling myself I will be more controlled when I am on my own next month. My plan to conquor my fear of heights and get up the ladder and paint came to nothing. I got half way up and had to come down. Now I have to watch DH take 10 years over it and not do a very good job - he hates painting and it shows, ha ha. I will do the ground floor at the back. Sheila I hope your Dad is ok now and his leg is healing. He sounds a grand man, independent and not making a fuss. Had to laugh at your MinPin losing weight, being shown up by your pet. I had to smile too at their realisation that the car journey was leading to the Vet, canny creatures. I am taking Alfie to the Vet again on Friday for another weigh-in and blood test. He is still well and eating fish every day fit to bust but forgets to drink. My son said I am like a water **** following him (cat) all round the garden with his water bowl. Then he drinks a huge amount. I asked DH why he doesn't think to drink himself because he obviously wants it and DH made me howl laughing and said "because you do everything else for him, I'm surprised you don't carry him to the back of the garden for a s**t". The thought of it was just too much. Sheila,we have a lot in common, not just the painting, not just that I hate shopping too (of any sort) but right now my son has my car too. Last weekend his broke down on his way back from our house so I gave him mine. We put his in the garage for repair. It's been back for days but .....I guess my car is newer and faster and better image for the ladies ha ha. Angel - my DH and DS are very impressed with you and your images! Seriously, have you thought about teaching? I would join a class with a friendly teacher who taught all the clever bits you could do with a computer. How is the medication now? Do you have an approximate date for moving back into your house? It must be awful having to look on it and not being able to move in. Willow, how did the weekend go? Good, I hope, and I also hope everyone appreciated the effort you put into it. Bluet, did you have a lovely Chritening Day? Jacqui, are you still with us? Finally, Angel, can I have that adorable confused-looking purple kitty? You are a wizard on IT I am sure if you really wanted to.....
Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 AM   #68  

Default Good morning!

Just a few minutes here before I have to leave for work.

It sounds as though you are all doing wonderfully. That's great.

I had a lovely weekend. I worked from the time I got off work Friday at 3 PM until 12 midnight, cleaning and cooking and preparing veggies etc.
Then again Saturday morning from 6 AM until 12 noon. But, after that I did nothing but visit and enjoy everyones company. I did dishes a few times, but that only takes a few minutes.

Then, on Sunday I had a brunch which went nicely too. I like the kind of meals that you can prepare the foods, and the guests can eat as they arrive, ..... kind of casual. That way I can kick back and enjoy their company. As usual I had a blast with the grandkids. They get smarter every day!

Of course, I've been eating too much. ...... And of the wrong foods too. But, my sister goes home tomorrow morning, and then things will settle down. I have to babysit for 3 hours this afternoon and evening, then I'm going to another sisters for supper, and that will be the end of the celebration meals for a while.

Sue, sounds like you've been in the same boat as I with relatives visiting and eating in celebration. I think that's what it amounts to. I'm not sure I'm going to the meeting this week. I'll see how I feel Thursday.

I've been very tired lately. I came home from work yesterday and lay down for about an hour. I was exhausted. I slept last night too.

Sheila, I hope your Dad is ok after that fall. It's scarey when they have diabetes and get injured on an extremity anyway, but worse if he's been having problems with that leg. You're a wonderful daughter to take care of him.

Puss, I hope Alfie is in good shape when you take him in. Your hubby sounds like a fun person to be around. As for the painting, ..... I know how you feel, as I'm afraid of heights too.

Charlotte, glad you're feeling good. Interesting info on the tamarisk trees.

Welcome Jacqui! Hope you like it here. These ladies are wonderful!

Bluet, hope everything is going well for you.

I have to cut this short. Need to get to work.
Hello to anyone I may have missed in my hurry. See you all later!
Have a wonderful day!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 AM   #69  

Hi everybody....
Just a quick post today...gotta go to station...& a lot of work, here, first. You would think....living in 2 rooms of a burnt house, there wouldn't be any work. Only thing...."roughing it" is just that!!

Been through a funeral with friend, (manager at station) & they are all exhausted! They also, had a close friend from Texas to die the day of the funeral...so he's gone (10hr drive) to preach the funeral for his friend! I'm going to be with Connie a lot this week helping out. So if I don't have a lot of time for posts....you'll know why.

Hope all a having a good day
Willow...glad you had a good weekend with your family

Fatpuss....those kitty's were cute, weren't they? I was surprised to find them.

Sheila....I hope your dad's alright. I know that was scarey.

Sue....I'll find that site, again, for you, if you want it.

You kitty lover's might want to check out this site I found!...
http://shakandah.purrsonalitydesigns.com/index.htm
Old 09-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #70  

Willow, no wonder you slept for an hour after work. Sounds like you had an exhausting but fun weekend. Don't worry about the celebration foods, I think most of us have fallen off the wagon this week. Me, I have been having a shark-fest feeding frenzy on cakes. Angel, too sad to have 2 deaths linked to your station on the same day. I hope you enjoy your time this week there but try not to over-tire yourself at the same time, eh? DH and I got all the painting undercoated except for two back windows so we are feeling pretty smug tonight. Only the fading light let us down at 1915 when we called a halt. Hope to have most of it top painted by tomorrow and finished by Thursday. Most of the houses in our little close (group of 9 houses in a dead end road) have UPVC windows and doors which don't need painting. Supporting two kids at medical school is so expensive that vinyl windows falls a long way on the 'need next' list. In fact, I don't know if new lounge suite, kitchen or car is needed most as they all need replacing ha ha. Ingrates won't even go into plastic surgery or liposuction to pay me back in beauty in my old age!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #71  

Angel - those kitties are so adorable on the website, I love their little wings!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:38 PM   #72  

Fatpuss, I howled over the visual of you following your kitty around trying to get him to drink. And then what your DH said, OMG, too funny. Have you ever had a dog? Trying to get a urine sample from a dog is hysterical. I've heard of people following their female dogs around with frying pans and ladles and sticking them in the appropriate place as their dog squats. I was so grateful when the vet scared my dog and she peed on the floor so he just sucked it up with a syringe. There was no way I was following her around with a frying pan! So are your kids going to be specialists or general physicians? Hey, you can always hope that they will marry a plastic surgeon!

Charlotte, I'm so sorry about your friends and all the loss they're experiencing. I'm glad you're there to help them, but I hope you don't overdo. So when is your house expected to be done?

Willow, sounds like you had an excellent weekend. It's hard to stay on program when there are so many celebrations and dinners going on. Very few people do--I know I don't! Show me a birthday cake and I'll eat it! But having fun is the most important thing, and it sounds like you had a great time.

My dad's knee is tender, and his chest hurts. I advised him to get checked out at the doctor, but he's stubborn. My DH and I also looked into getting a "push to talk" phone where there's a big button that will just dial home. My dad's response was, why? There was somebody who picked me up. My DH says, well, what if there isn't, and it's cold and rainy. My dad's reply, it wasn't raining. Sheesh! My DH ended up saying, well, thanks for letting me know that you'll only fall down when it's sunny and there's a lot of people around. I tell you, living with my dad is certainly eye-opening in "what not to do when you get older." I'm writing all these things down so I can remember what I said I would and wouldn't do when I get older, starting with "don't annoy my children!"

Lots of rain here. My DD and I got caught in a big downpour without an umbrella. We've been spoiled by all the sunshine we've had for the past three months--gotta get out the umbrellas!

Oh, I almost forgot. Did anyone see Dr. Phil? I normally don't watch that, but I did yesterday and today. He's got this Ultimate Weight Loss Challenge going, and picked 13 people he would personally monitor. I really wish them success. He's going to bring them back each month for the next 10 months (maybe more--don't remember what he said) so I think I'm committing to watching that show once a month for the next 10 months because I want to know how they're doing. And that's how those TV people suck you in. . .

Last edited by Sheila53; 09-16-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:26 AM   #73  

Thanks all for the welcome!

I know it will take a little time to get to know you all but I am really looking forward to having someone to talk to while I start this journey once again.

Sheila I know what you are dealing with I haven't been able to post for several days as I have been tied up looking after an independant DM and MIL ..... both of whom should be in assisted living facilities but insist on being on their own. No wonder I am such an emotional eater!!

I have been trying to get back into the WW program but haven't been totally committed yet. I need to get these extra pounds off though as I had hip replacement surgery several years ago and I know this extra weight is not good for it.

Any how thanks again.....look forward to talking to you all.

Jacquie
Old 09-17-2003, 05:44 AM   #74  

Sheila I have never had a dog but the thought of anyone following one with a frying pan for a sample is just so funny. The vet actually asked me if I could get one off my cat!! I just laughed. Daughter plans to do orthopaedic surgery and son's not sure yet but leans toward paediatrics - probably because he's still a big kid himself and totally off the wall. Kids love him because I think they instinctively know he is not a stuffy adult, one toy he never parted with was his 'bug box'. He can see bugs no one else can and still pockets them. His girlfriend adores him and says he is 'silly'. Your dad sounds so like mine, very pragmatic and not wanting a fuss. I loved your husband's comment about only falling on a sunny day, haha. The men in your life sound lovely. How is your son's job going? Does he think he will like it?
Jacqui, glad you could join us again. We can all sympathise with you over your DM and MIL. I have an ongoing situation with my mother and I do turn to food when I feel out of control and feeling like my life is not my own. Maybe the way to think about it is 'ok, to some degree others are controlling my life (intentionally or not) but I won't have my food intake controlled by it all. This is me caring and taking control for me and no one is going to interfere with that'.
I must go start the top coat painting - DH has gone to town for more supplies and I am supposed to be starting the downstairs windows not playing hooky, ha ha.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:20 AM   #75  

Welcome to Jaquie! Hope you stay with us.

Well...all is beginning to calm down a little at the station. I think I may take tomorrow off...if all is still ok. I AM tired. I've been feeling pretty good, though. That's helped a lot. It took awhile, this time...but the Remicade treatment finally kicked in. I go back Monday for more lab work to check on the white blood count.

Fatpuss...hope all is quiet with you mother for at least a little while. I'm the same way with turning to food for comfort. It's something I REALLY have got to work on.

Sheila....thanks for the well-wishes. Hopefully things are settling down. We have no idea when the house will be finished. Didn't get enough ins money....going to run out soon. Inside hasn't been touched, other than tearing down all inside walls, etc. We've got to get the 2 rooms we're staying in insulated soon...already chilly mornings! Wish you were here to help paint when we're ready!

Willow...hope you feel better this evening. I know that "exhausted" feeling! Take care of yourself.

Hope all have a good day.

Last edited by Angel-lover; 09-17-2003 at 07:23 AM.
Closed Thread