Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default Friggin' party

So, I've lost almost 30lbs since the middle of August and I've done this by being extremely strict with my diet. Whenever I deviate I end up ballooning in weight.

Example, one incident when my fiance was home I ate pizza, over the next 6 days, I put 2lbs on per day (not period bloating) and I only just now got all that extra crap off.

My landlord invited me to a party at his house that will no doubt involve beer and food, I truthfully do not want to go just for the fact of the food and beer. I also know I should go so I don't seem like so much of a shut-in.

There's no way to avoid food there and I do not want to eat the bad food they're serving (there will be no healthy options, I already asked).

Not sure what I'm doing, asking for advice or just venting but ARRRRRG.
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

What I do is always bring a dish as a 'gift' - making sure it is something I know what's in it, and then I take my portion. People are usually too absorbed to realize I'm not eating the other food. I did this at a Halloween party yesterday, with a diet Pepsi handy.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Sacha. Taking a veggie tray with a dip that you know what's in it as a "host" gift is a great way to have some food you can eat without seeming rude. And I either ask for water or else take along some diet soda.

If you're on good enough terms with your landlord, just tell him up front that you're trying to stick to a diet plan and will be bringing along something non-alcoholic you can drink. A truly considerate host will offer to have it on hand and no one should mind if you do this. Just don't be surprised if you bring a bottle of something to find others helping themselves!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #4  

I brought Texas Caviar to the Halloween party yesterday, it was super healthy, fresh, and didn't look like "diet food" I even took a picture I loved it so much haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texas_caviar.jpg (28.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #5  

Unfortunately the party is in merely 2 hours, I also cannot go to the store to pick anything up as my husband is still on the road (semi-truck driver) and the car that is left with me is currently out of commission >_<

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll figure out what I can do >_<
Mizeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #6  

wow
PinkChanelPlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, if you don't want to go, don't go. Don't do something just so someone else views you different (as in not so much of a shut-in) and find something that you want to do, and do that instead. Keep it simple and enjoy your evening.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #8  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Eat dinner before you go, something low calorie with lots of fiber so it takes forever to digest. There won't be room for food or alcohol!

Actually I find that eating first works great, because then I can nibble on something without worrying that I will go nuts.

sacha: that dish looks divine! I have a potluck coming up, can you share the recipe?
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

The other way of looking at it is it's just two hours. You don't have to eat anything.

It concerns me that you ate pizza once and gained 12 pounds. You can see how that doesn't add up, right? Have you discussed this with a doctor?
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefrey View Post
Eat dinner before you go, something low calorie with lots of fiber so it takes forever to digest. There won't be room for food or alcohol!

Actually I find that eating first works great, because then I can nibble on something without worrying that I will go nuts.

sacha: that dish looks divine! I have a potluck coming up, can you share the recipe?
Thanks! I did it myself.

The marinade is 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. lime, 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt + pepper - tossed with 2 cans of rinsed black eyed peas, 1 chopped orange pepper, 1 bunch chopped green onion, 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered (b/c it was a kid's party, for safety) and 1 can rinsed canned corn
Old 10-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeria View Post
There's no way to avoid food there and I do not want to eat the bad food they're serving (there will be no healthy options, I already asked).
In my own etiquette book there is NO requirement to eat the food served at an event. Ever. I think we need to educate the world that "eating out of politeness" is an antiquated and counterproductive notion.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I so agree with Freelancemomma. I general don't eat at parties, I find if I avoid the first bite the whole thing is so much easier to handle.

But if you are a person who hates being confronted about your food choices or having any drama at all (especially at a party), you can do what I do, which is lie, lie, lie.

I pat my stomach and say something like, "gosh, I'd love to eat 6 of those hot dogs, because WOW, they smell amazing, but I ate so much french toast and cinnamon rolls at breakfast that I'm still digesting (then I make little oinking sounds for dramatic effect)!"

Then people don't feel threatened by their food choices -- they don't feel like your abstinence is a judgment on their choice to go ahead at eat a ton of hot dogs, because you just admitted you ate like a glutton at breakfast.

Works like a charm.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote