Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/145/140

Height: 5'8

Default I'm out of control and terrified

Hi everyone! I am new to this site but I just needed a place to to share my fears I recently lost 30 pounds after being overweight for the majority of my high school career. Yet, now that I am in college the prospect of gaining that weight back is truly and deeply terrifying. In order to combat the impending freshman 15, the first two weeks of college I really only ate salads or barely anything. I know how unhealthy that was, but now, im just spiraling. For the past several weeks I will eat very little followed by at least two days worth of purposefully eating anything and everything I can think of and going out of my way to do so. Today I ate so many granola bars, pizza slices and bagels I can't even begin to tell you. One night i ate a jar of peanut butter after bingin before. i am disgusted worj myself, I am terrified I have gained a lot of weight from this reoccurring habit, and I am terrified to even look at the scale and feel so disappointed in myself. I can't seem to stop, and it scares me. Thank you all for listening, your stories, support, advice or listening ear will be greatly greatly appreciated thanks guys
Ptolemy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

It sounds like you're in an unhealthy restrict/binge cycle. You started by setting up such a restrictive program that something inside you rebelled and compelled you to binge, which will likely lead to the next cycle of deprivation, followed by more binging, and so on. Clearly that isn't working for you, so you need a different approach.

I know it sounds slow and boring, but I suggest you formulate a balanced and reasonably healthy eating plan -- perhaps one that will allow you to lose a couple of pounds a month for the next few months -- and stick to it. You'll likely have a slip-up here and there, but if the plan is well designed, it shouldn't leave you hungry and desperate. And keep coming here for support -- there are a lot of great people here.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #3  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Been there, done that. Freelance is right, but if you can't get there like I couldn't when I was spiraling, get thee to a mental health clinic sooner rather than later and get a referral for eating disorder treatment. It does not necessarily have to be in-house treatment.

If you can't pull out of the spiral you are going to need professional help. Don't wait or be ashamed. This thing happens and it progresses into life threatening proportions if not checked. The only reason I'm here now posting these things is by the grace of God and sturdy genetics.

Keep us posted. I'm pulling for you.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

I think the important thing is that you are acknowledging you have a problem right away and trying to do something about it instead of gaining back all 30 pounds or God forbid more and then doing something about it - like I did. I am just now getting back to where I was at the end of last year because I had gained back 25 pounds of the 80 something I had lost.

I think freelance has some good advice. Even just keeping a food journal would probably help. I know just keeping track on the free app that I downloaded on my phone helped me tremendously. It gives me a calorie goal to shoot for and even has graphs to show me what percentage of my diet is from fat, carbs and protein. Weight watchers is also a healthy and pretty simple plan to follow. You just have to find what works for you.

Take a deep breath and relax. Congratulate yourself for stopping this pattern of starving and bingeing before it really got out of hand.

This forum is a great place to ask questions and get support. I like reading the success stories too. It gives me hope that I may one day reach my ultimate weight loss goal
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Ptolemy! No need to work yourself up over the Freshman 15. It's just a myth. It came about from kids going off to college, being away from their parents for the first time, partying as a result, and packing on beer lbs. It's not like you go to college and automatically gain weight because you're there. My daughter didn't gain a lb in college. And I only gained 3 lbs (and I was in a sorority and did go to weekend parties). Just eat how you know you should be eating. Don't eat only salads and don't overload on junky carbs which will then make you crave more junky carbs. Eat normally. Do you have a history of restricting/binging? Or was this just an overreaction to the fear of the Freshman 15? If you do have a history, then I agree with vintagecat and you should talk to a counselor at the school about it. Best to work it out now. And please do keep coming here because there are lots of people here to support you and to help you maintain the weight you've lost. We care! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

The freshman 15 is not a myth, it happens, definitely not to everyone but to people like me it happens, only for me it was like the freshman 20 lol.

What I would suggest more than anything is to join a support group, whether that be a group of friends committed to a healthy lifestyle (go for walks/gym together, have dinner together and keep each other accountable), join a fitness class or take a dance class. Once you start making friends and doing activities you love you may be able to work through some of your fears and frustrations about weight gain - other people are going through it too, you're not alone!

But do try to stay away from drinking and late night drunk pizza parties. That's the real place where all those pounds come from. Don't fear granola bars.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

You may find the book Brain Over Binge helpful. The author was in the exact situation you are, away at university and bingeing badly.

It is true you usually gain weight at university. The available food is usually very high in carbs.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I would take this situation very seriously, as what you're describing sounds like Binge Eating Disorder.

I started doing something very similar about 10 years ago when I went on a major diet, and things just got worse. I'm now getting treatment, which has helped me tremendously.

Address it while you're young; don't be like me and struggle with this issue for years while watching it get worse.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #9  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Hi Ptolemy2! The freshman 15 is not a given ... it's something that happens when young people are given control over their eating for the first time in their lives and make poor choices. As someone who was able to lose weight in high school, you know a lot more about your body's needs then the average person your age, and are in a better position to maintain your weight.

If you can, start your old diet over again. Clearly it works for you! Contact your old support network and ask them for help getting started again.

As for the binging, you might want to talk to a counselor at your school. Most colleges have free counseling and taking advantage of that should help a lot. There will also be weight loss support groups on campus (you are not the only one worried about the freshman 15!) and joining one of those may help too.

Good luck!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I agree with FreelanceMomma, you have to break the cycle. Overrestricting your food just sets you up for a binge. You need to eat and stop letting yourself get so hungry!

Food is not the enemy; good, healthy food is your friend!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You got some fantastic advice. I know how it feels to be so out of control because I have a problem with binge eating as well. I think it helps to have some strategies that will help you when you feel that intense urge to binge. Have a list of things you can do because at those moments, it can be very difficult to think straight.

Here are some things that help me (not always though)

Go for a walk....get myself out of the house.
Not keep food triggers around my home.
Chew gum like nobody's business.
Drink water/hot tea.
Brush teeth and floss.
Come to this site and read goal stories or post a request for help.
Call a friend/family.
Work out.
Eat something low in calories...or just have something normal and decide not to have anything after that. Some days (particularly when it's close to time of the month), I will eat at maintenance calories.

I find that it helps to avoid sugar....especially refined sugar. It makes me hungrier. Also, I no longer drink soda or anything with artificial sweeteners. I still have the sugarless gum and I know it's bad, but it's my one vice that I depend on for getting me through tough nights.

I have an easy time sticking to my meal plan during the day so I do some Intermittent Fasting. All that means is that I don't eat breakfast and save most of my calories for later in the day so I have more to work with at night.

I hope you feel better soon!

p.s. Take it one day at a time....as cliche as that sounds, it can be so overwhelming to think of the future...if you have a temptation, just tell yourself you can have it tomorrow if you really want it and then by the next day, it should pass. Also, I eat almost the same thing every day. I know that's not super healthy but it helps me with the disordered eating.

Last edited by luckymommy; 09-23-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: p.s.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote