Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Default "Restarting" in winter?

I haven't stuck with any of my goals recently and here we are, quickly approaching winter. But I'm trying to start over today by eating very little to clean my system out. I feel bloated and I'm not digesting properly at all so this is very much needed.

Is anyone else looking to "restart" going into the winter months?
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I restarted this month and it's working GREAT. You can do this!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I am re-starting today too! Winter (and my December wedding) is fast approaching and I'm still far from my goal. I've been working out a lot and not overeating really but I need to clean up my diet.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #4  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Hooray for recommitment loedancealive!

Whether we need to start over with our resolve, I think all of us need to buckle down during the winter. It's just such a challenging time. Our families are going to expect us to participate in holiday activities which tend to include eating ... even the weather signals our bodies think we need to pack on some extra weight so we can survive the harsh winter (they missed the memo that we all live and work in heated buildings)!

So I've been strict with myself all along but I do worry about losing focus as things get chilly. I have a big goal of getting under 200 pounds by October 1st and I don't want to slack off when I get there so I'm starting to switch focus on my goals for December (no longer obese) and March (no longer overweight) and May (goal weight).

So I'm with you on this one! You are so close to goal, it's going to be fun to see you cross the finish line!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Restarting today also. Have 20lbs of weight I regained to lose (again). Oh well, I am giving myself reasonable goals and am recommitting to getting this weight off and back to my original goal. Glad to know I am in such great company!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #6  

Thanks! What are you doing for exercise? Are you staying indoors?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #7  

Hey.... I restarted a week ago so I am in too... I gained around 15 lbs and want to shed them off and also shed more and move to the 160s I am currently in my 180s....

Lets get this one going together!!!!
nlauah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #8  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I feel like I'm restarting after almost every weekend. Not making light of it, just feel like after loosening up over the weekend it is an effort to get back on plan(after I digest this dang pop tart I just ate)...

Best to you and all of us restarters!

I have been doing c25k on the treadmill and some exercises with weights, we're talking about a recumbent bike for the winter indoor exercising.

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefrey View Post
So I'm with you on this one! You are so close to goal, it's going to be fun to see you cross the finish line!
Well now I have to do it don't I? =)

NEMom, I feel like I'm in great company too! Let's get it done, ladies!

Winters here are quite nasty so I'm going to try to make myself jog but I'm also looking at gyms in the area. The closest one has horrible ratings so I might need to go a bit further away. My apartment isn't quite set up for much indoors past weights, sit ups, etc.

Last edited by Doomkitty; 09-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #10  

Since you can't turn back time, you can't start over. You can only move forward from where you are. If I could start over, I'd be 21 years old again and know what I know now! LOL
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #11  

Turning back time and re-starting a health regimen aren't quite the same thing. lol
Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I'm starting to realize that sitting down at each season change and evaluating, making new plans, and kickstarting is not just a best practice for weight management, but works pretty well for life in general. Consciously acknowledging and then adjusting routines, meals, and everything else when the weather changes has helped me a lot.

I recommitted over the summer for one more push (hooray!) - but it took me a bit to really get back in the swing of things... so that re-commitment is really only about 3-4 weeks firm. I'm geared up now for a great fall, though.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #13  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
I'm starting to realize that sitting down at each season change and evaluating, making new plans, and kickstarting is not just a best practice for weight management, but works pretty well for life in general. Consciously acknowledging and then adjusting routines, meals, and everything else when the weather changes has helped me a lot.

I recommitted over the summer for one more push (hooray!) - but it took me a bit to really get back in the swing of things... so that re-commitment is really only about 3-4 weeks firm. I'm geared up now for a great fall, though.
What a great idea! THANK YOU for sharing!

I am definitely recommitting myself... I never stopped, but I might be in a stall, and I feel I'm at a vital moment re: going onward/forward... so I feel like I can relate a little bit.

Imo/e, the great thing about restarting during the winter months is that in spite of its challenges, you get to emerge into the spring/summer months like a butterfly from a cocoon. We have all this time to work on, reshape, and modify our bodies to our liking. Amazing changes can be accomplished in half a year!

Congratulations to recommitting! You can do this!

Last edited by belovedspirit; 09-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #14  

That is a good idea Desiderata, I'll have to sit down and re-evaluate on paper. =)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedancelive View Post
Turning back time and re-starting a health regimen aren't quite the same thing. lol
Maybe so, but I think the "restart" mentality contributes more to weight problems than it helps.

At least that's been my experience. For me, weight loss has been like climbing a steep and cragged mountain. Almost every time I slipped, I would hurl myself over the cliff - often to the very bottom to satisfy my need to "start fresh."

There are even socially endorsed rules for the starting fresh points.

If a slip occurs:

Monday or a Tuesday, start fresh tomorrow
Wednesday, start fresh Monday (Wednesdays can go either way)
Mid-month, start fresh on the 1st of next (or the first Mon)
After mid-October, start fresh Jan 1 (or first Mon)

The very title of the thread reflects this restart timetable, or one similar. It's not yet Winter. In fact Autumn started only two days ago. Why wait until Winter to restart?
Why ever wait? Why not start with the next bite?

And if every bite is purposeful, there is no starting fresh, just moving on.

This weight loss has been different and more successful by far since I adopted the motto, "There is no starting fresh or starting over; only moving on, standing still, and falling backwards."

Back to the mountain climbing analogy, I'm learning to dig in my heels to prevent falling backwards. And if I do start too fall, I try to catch myself as soon as possible rather than waiting to the next "restart" point.

Every day is a new day, but every new hour, minute, and second are just as new, so why wait?

I think we wait at least until tomorrow, because we want to have that feeling of starting fresh, with a clean slate. But with weight loss, there is never a clean slate. Every mistake gets written on our bodies, and cannot be removed, except by trudging up that Mountain.

Forget restarting. Commit to only moving forward or at least refusing to slide backwards while you're waiting to "restart."

I think though that considering every moment as an opportunity to make a better choice than the last is a more effective strategy than the idea of starting over and over and over....

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote