Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 02:23 AM   #16  
Dancing those pounds away

Amanda... I am a NUT for NUtS !!!!! I only like chocolate if it has nuts. One of my favorites "were" M&M's with peanuts. YOu could have a 10 lb bag of plain M&M's and I would not touch them. But a single M&M with nuts and I will arm wrestle you for it.

I am lowering my carbs and Macadamia nuts are a good low carb nut. I deduct fiber so that helps. MMMmmmm I don't know about a substitute. I stay away from most other nuts because they are higher in carbs.

Barb.... have a WONDERFUL vacation. I think we are all glad to learn that little trick about using others computers.

I too am leaving in the morning for my daughters graduation.
I don't expect to be back in before I leave but you never know.
I DO PLAN to exercise before I go though.
I am too new at this to take a chance of missing a day yet.
I need to establish this as a routine. NO EXCUSES !!!!

Tina... you can't start out much slower than exercising sitting down.
Actually... he works you fast and continously. I used to do his "Sweatin to the Oldies" and you got more breaks in them than you do in this sitting one. I guess he figures you don't need a breathing break if you are sitting.
His routine is certainly harder to follow on this one. He switches moves continously. I like ole Richie Poo. He says.."Just do what you can... but give it all you can" I like that philosphy.
He also says... "Stick with me... I am sticking with you"
That made me think of all of you in here.

Deon... are you in here sweating with me yet??? You promised.

Okay... I am out of here. I am not ignoring anyone.. I just have a lot to do still. I just had to come peek in... what can I say... I am addicted. LOL
Old 05-17-2003, 08:32 AM   #17  

Don't really have time to post right now, but popped in and saw Amandas post and figured I would share.

Amanda: Go to callwave.com it's an internet answering machine. While you are on the computer on the internet you have an answering machine thing that you minimize and when you get a call it pops up and has caller ID and they can leave a message. It tells the person calling that you are currently on the internet but please leave a message and that you will get back to them. I love it. It costs me $3.95 per month now to the callwave company and I think its like 2.00 on my phone bill for having what they call (call forward busy) you will learn all about it at the web site. They do have other options though, so check it out. Good Luck to you.

Sandy
Old 05-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #18  
You and Me in 2003

Thumbs up

Why Can't I say no to anyone?
I have so much to do between now and Monday morning and I don't know how I am going to fit it all in.

Now that I have that off my chest Good morning. Hope all of you are ok.
Barb have a great vacation.

Thin thanks for the pkg.
I exercised last night while watching Days of Our Lives. I record it everyday. I did 2 miles on the gazelle in 45 minutes.

I got my perm yesterday I had it curled all over this time instead of just the top. Its ok I guess at least it's easy to take care of.

My son came in from work sick yesterday with a fever. His teacher said he was in the top 5 in his class at work. That's my boy.

I have meetings all day today but plan on being at chat tonight 7 central .

I went to see my sister yesterday she is awful sore but she is ok.

Well I'll shut up for now hope all of you have a great day.

See you all tonight
Old 05-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #19  
Beauty is within...

Good evening folks!

I have managed to get through the day without chocolate, specifically.... well, I had a low fat hot chocolate in the afternoon, cos I HAD to have something! And I had some icecream for dessert... but overall my day has been really good food-wise. Unfortunately I didn't get ANY exercise, or the gardening done, as it rained. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to exercising in wet weather. I'm going to have to get out my exercise videos again...

Mind you, I did manage to do some more sorting. The games are now all together in a "games cupboard" and the entertainment cabinet is all tidy, and I finished sorting out our study desk, getting all my paperwork in order, and finding a good spot for my weight loss stuff.

Marc's watching the FA Cup, which is one of the BIGGEST soccer events of the year. I've grown up on soccer, as my parents are english, and I love the sound of all the fans chanting.

This is why I am typing this at 12.19am on Sunday morning....

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. I've also got quite a bit of housecleaning to do, so if I can't get outside, there's plenty to keep me busy!!! We've been invited to a party tomorrow afternoon, and I still haven't decided whether I should drink or not. I tend not to, cos I have to drive and look after the kids, but Marc is suggesting he look after the kids and we get a taxi, so I can relax and enjoy a few. Problem is that we don't have a lot of money, and drinks are worth points that I don't necessarily have. I think in the end I'll just have a couple of wines and save us a lot of money! *sigh* It's all so complicated!!!

Amanda, I looked in my Weight Watchers guide on what peanuts are worth, and 25 nuts (15gms) is 1 1/2 points. An apple is worth 1 point, if that gives you a guide. So, although not the healthiest thing, if you were to have a reasonable handful of peanuts as a snack once a day, it should't ruin your overall program. Good luck with it! We all have our demons - mine's chocolate at the moment!

Barb, hope you have a great trip - sounds like lots of fun, and well done for losing the weight in view of the plane trip. I'm sure it will work out fine! And I didn't have to ruin my nails with gardening - they did that all by themselves! It's all that handwashing and stuff. I've got that lovely chipped look now!

Tina, I think you're very wise to pace yourself with your exercise. I totally agree that as keen as we are when we get back into it, it's dangerous to be TOO enthusiastic to the point that you overdo it, exhaust yourself, and then have to recover, or get put off altogether. I found that out recently, where I'd been invited to walk with some ladies from Josh's school. But because they're weeks ahead of me in their weight loss programs, they're a lot faster. I was really struggling to keep up, and didn't enjoy myself at all. I've decided that doing the power walk like the other day suits me much better, cos I can go at my own pace. I also don't feel as stupid. There's nothing worse that being in a situation that makes you feel fatter and more unfit than you did already!!!

Michelle, sorry to hear you're not well - hope for a quick recovery!

Deon, it IS hard getting started again, but once you've made that first step, the rest will fall into place. Just hang in there - we all have hard times, it's the getting back up again that's important!

Lori, I find the worst thing about TOM, which I've got coming up next week, is the CRAVINGS - all I can think about is chocolate. I find though, luckily, that a small freddo frog will do the trick. It's just remembering that when I enter a shop, and not going ballistic!!! I also find exercise a bit of a chore, so we'll have to push each other out the door! hee hee

Tracy and 2cute, WELL DONE for the exercising, it's good to know that we've got that kind of inspiration in this group!!

Well, I'm gonna snuggle down under the quilt and read my book for a while.. catcha tomorra!

Old 05-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #20  
a work in progress...

Talking Quick HI!

I'm here for only a minute or two...I have lots to do, plus get some rest before work tonight.

Anyone chatting? I hope to be able to pop in there for a bit.

Nothing new to report here...I'm still OP...welllll....I had a bit of a run in with the Triscuits yesterday...I guess the important lesson learned is to not let yourself get too hungry...that's when I start to think, "what the ****...I haven't eaten too much, I can have this!" Then all bets are off. So I just had a big salad for lunch, made one for later too. I added Boars Head sliced chicken (, try it!) and swiss cheese to a huge tossed salad...it looked wonderful...and then I killed it with some disgusting low fat dressing. One thing I (usually) always remember from a former WW leader: Use a salad dressing that you LOVE, even if it's not low fat/low cal, you'll eat more salad that way! Should have followed that today!

I have to go cut the grass before the rain that they keep saying is coming but hasn't come yet comes!

See you later.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #21  
a work in progress...

Lightbulb Mid Life Musings...

My mother sent me this...I can relate to a number of items here, thought you guys would like it too...

Subject: Too funny - mid-life

I've seen two shows lately that went on and on about how mid-life is a great time for women. Just last week Oprah had a whole show on how great menopause will be....

Puhleeeeeeeze!

I've had a few thoughts of my own and would like to share them with you.
Whether you are pushing 40, 50, 60 (or maybe even just pushing your luck) you'll probably relate.

Mid-life is when the growth of hair on our legs slows down. This gives us plenty of time to care for our newly acquired mustache.

In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wingspans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are flying squirrels in drag.

Mid-life is when you can stand naked in front of a mirror and you can see your rear without turning around.

Mid-life is when you go for a mammogram and you realize that this is the only time someone will ask you to appear topless.

Mid-life is when you want to grab every firm young lovely in a tube top and scream, "Listen honey, even the Roman empire fell and those will too."

Mid-life brings wisdom to know that life throws us curves and we're sitting on our biggest ones.

Mid-life is when you look at your-know-it-all, beeper-wearing teenager and think: "For this I have stretch marks?"

In mid-life your memory starts to go. In fact the only thing we can retain is water.

Mid-life means that your Body By Jake now includes Legs By Rand McNally -- more red and blue lines than an accurately scaled map of Wisconsin.

Mid-life means that you become more reflective...You start pondering the "big" questions. What is life? Why am I here? How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

But mid-life also brings with it an appreciation for what is important.

We realize that breasts sag, hips expand and chins double, but our loved ones make the journey worthwhile. Would any of you trade the knowledge that you have now for the body you had way back when?

Maybe our bodies simply have to expand to hold all the wisdom and love we've acquired.

That's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it!
Old 05-17-2003, 06:03 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Wow, you ladies are busy posters! I'll try to get caught up and make a nice long post!

First, a little about myself. I'm 42, married, live in Missouri, am a manager in the accounting department at a large insurance company; no kids except for DH's two sons and 16 yo granddaughter and 5 mo grandson; have a young rottweiler dog who thinks he's not a dog; have a horse down at my mom's farm; like to walk but have flat feet; love to bike but somehow forget to make time for it; have a small fracture in my hip from who knows what so some days I hurt; like to read; love movies and music; love church and growing as a Christian; lost my dad in December so I go down to the farm to help mom as often as I can; lost my step-FIL three weeks ago and have been consumed with helping MIL find a senior's housing so she's not alone all the time; love my DH evn though some days I could bash him; love sunny days; dreary days make me depressed; love to cook and teach DH to cook and we're really into intense flavors of food without all the fat, creams, gravies, etc that drown out the real flavors. These are a few of my favorite things....and a few you'll hear me whine about.

As far as WW, I'm finding that I'm more positive about the program with going only every other week instead of weekly (just a long story about mental games); I'm an boredom eater especially on dreary days; I'm a stress eater but have made considerable progress in conquering that; I'm an emotional eater but exercise helps keep the emotions in check and therefore helps keep food in check. I'm seriously only focusing on one day at a time - not the week, not until weigh-in - just what I'm doing today food and exercise wise. Yesterday is forgotten and tomorrow is tomorrow. That change in focus has helped because once I start paying attention to what's in the point bank, then I start thinking I can sneak in more food and then the weekend hits. Weekends are my hardest time because our routines are poor and our planning is poor. I plan to eat light and exercise more during the week and plan to eat more and exercise less on the weekend. So far, that's helped me eliminate disappointment, blame, and frustration about eating. But I also know that every day held onto focus and determination is a victory not a given. Oops, sorry, think I got a little philosophical or preachy. Hope no one thinks I'm coming across as having all the answers.

Speaking of boredom eaters, I'm at work as I start this long post (will email it home and finish for posting later). Because I'm at work on a Saturday and would rather be in bed, I just ate a package of chocolate cupcakes. How nasty and stupid is that? The bad thing is that because I ate such high sugar and no protein for breakfast, I'll feel like crap.

Back at home to finish this post:
Food has been cruddy today. I got home from work and DH was trying to clean out the freezers and make room for the new beef we had bought. Somehow, I end up finishing his garage cleaning projects. But we got that done and the beef in the freezer. Now, we have enough great beef for a neighborhood.

I've been yacking with my sister and she lost 3.4 pounds this week at WW. Not me. Its close to TOM so the scale is holding steady. However, that is a good thing because if its almost TOM and the scale hasn't actually gone UP then I should be due for a nice loss soon. The smart thing would not to be to eat everything in the house.

I bought myself some of the Just My Size sport capris and tank tops at Walmart. LOVE THEM! They are my official weigh-in clothes. So light and comfy.

2Cute - Congrats on the exercise! Great job on taking that first step - that is always the hardest. You've inspired me to drag out my yoga tape after I'm done with this post. I'm with you on lowering carbs - I'm lowering the starchy carbs and increasing the veggies/fruits carbs. It has helped me to decrease hunger cravings. Have fun at graduation!

Mary - Congrats on the review. I always hate giving and receiving those things - even if we need the constructive feedback. Good attitude! That's really cool about your son - not the sickness part but about the top 5. You must be one proud mama!

Barb- for 3 pounds gone! That is three packages of butter gone! Have a great vacation. The big dog weighs enough for your three!!

Lynne - I miss drive-ins. That's about all we had when I was in high school. What fun! Except now I'd probably sleep through the late movie. Don't you love how freshly done nails look? Wow, a 3.6 mile walk is nothing to sneeze at!

Lori - I agree about the effects of exercise on TOM - that and soy helps!

Tracy - You go Girl! Gym classes! I'm truly impressed. I haven't worked up the nerve for the gym yet.

Michelle - Hope you kick that bug soon.

Tina - I love skinny cows. Especially the peanut butter. I've tried the green mint and the peppermint and loved them too. Does everyone know that you can buy skinny cows at Sam's Club - 18 for less than $10. They are $4.19 for 6 at the grocery store. Good attitude about the exercise. It has to be what you enjoy and renews the mental spirit as well.

Amanda - Eating nuts can be a good thing for your diet. Most nuts have the healthy fats so if done in moderation, they should be part of a heart healthy diet.

Deon - I used to have a problem with mom venting about dad all the time. It was really hard because I'd end up mad at dad and have all this pent up anger because of her "needing to vent". It affected my relationship with him for years. I finally said to myself that I should not be party to their problems - and as parents, they should not be involving the children - no matter our ages. I told my mom that she could vent all she wants but don't expect me to comment because I just couldn't be party to it anymore. She would still occassionally vent and then I'd ignore it and go home okay. I'm really glad because I was finally able to develop a real friendship with dad and while I was crushed when he passed away recently, I didn't still have issues and regrets. Its okay to draw the line with your parents. They are parents after all; not you. As far as the food - go wander the veggies isle at the store and try something new. We recently tried stir-fried napa cabbage with pork tenderloin. Really good. Kick that food in the butt!

Thin - You always had really good recipes. Still love your diet coke chicken. Good luck on your school board election.

Duckie - Hope you're feeling better. on the allergies. Those sure do wipe a person out. on your 51 pounds gone. That is a fabulous accomplishment. I do the flonase too. Since I do it religiously everyday, I feel a lot better and have quit taking any other allergy meds. Everybody's different but maybe it can help you too.

Sara - Your success is very inspirational. Good luck with the eye surgery.

Kat - Boars Head chicken? Never heard of it. Too bad about killing the salad - what a bummer! I finally gave up on FF salad dressings and get the Just Done Right which has some fat and good flavor. A Caesar type is my fav. Flying squirrels in drag - so true and that flappy arm stuff is so unfair!

Okay, this has turned in to a really long post. Whew! I'm sure I missed a couple of you but not intentionally!!! Here's lots of : to everyone to have a great, in control, activity filled weekend! Let's all have losses next week.

Holy crap! How did it get to be 5:00???? I've been working on this for way too long! Off to yoga.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #23  
A Work In Progress

Hello! Wasn't there a chat tonight? I just went into our chat room and nobody was there. Oh well, I will check again in a bit. I went with a friend today to have a neck and shoulder massage. Boy was it nice!! I had never had one before but I think I will start doing it once in awhile. The place we went was a day spa and they have a day package for $175. That includes full body massage, facial, scalp massage, parrafin bath, Manicure, pedicure, some kind of body exfoliation, and a champagne lunch. I have decided that will be my reward for reaching goal one of these days.

I snuck a look at the scales this morning and it looks like about a 3 pound loss so far this week. I will give an official weigh-in on Wednesday. I also tried the California Cobb salad from McDonald's yesterday. It is really good. Has an unusual taste to it.

Determined to succeed- Did you get to do your yoga? If so, good for you!! That is some good exercising. I always thought that yoga would be easy. NOT TRUE!!!

Kat- I had the normal Cobb dressing with my salad yesterday. It was sooo good and it turned out to not be bad calorie wise since it was a whole meal for me. I have not been depriving myself at all. If I want something I have it, but just in moderation.

LoseForLife- Great job on resisting the chocolate! It is also a redlight food for me.

Mary- Sometimes you just have to make yourself say no to people. I have a relative that finds it very hard to take no for an answer so I have gotten to where I make up excuses for not doing things. I hate to lie but sheesh, she just goes on and on.

Sandy- Hey girl!! How are you doing today?

2Cute- I think that it is great that you are exercising!! I think that it is the key to weight loss. Keep it up and tell Richard I said hi

Amanda- I have a love for pistachios and cashews. I could eat them all day long if they are around. I can live without them though so I dont buy them.

Barb- I know that you are already gone but wishing you a safe and happy trip!

Tina- Hey girl! Are we still on for next Saturday? I hope so. I bought some Skinny Cows last night. It is a chocolate/vanilla mix. I have not seen the mint ones yet but will have to start looking for them. Wasn't it you who recommended the WW nutty buddy type ice creams? Well I was gonna buy some last night but there were only 4 in the box for the same price as 6 Skinny Cows so you know which one I chose Quantity before quality

Michelle- Aren't the Wiggles just the funniest thing? Zachary loves Rugrats. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so rough. It is hard when you have a little one.

Lori- A painless TOM....once unheard of

Deon- Way to go on climbing back up on the wagon!!

Ok we are missing Thin, Sara, Duckie, and Lucky. Come in and post you guys!!

Hugs,
Tracy
324/324/150
Old 05-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #24  
Beauty is within...

Hi guys!

I went for another long walk today. I measured it with the car, and it's actually 4.8km, not 6, but still not a bad effort!
I really LOVE the long walk. Sounds crazy, but I find it a real challenge to aim for the end of the long stretch, get to the corner, and know that I've done a large part and it just seems to get easier. And the last stretch is a power trip, knowing how far I've come and the fact that I'm still going strong! So I've decided that as long as I have the time, I'm going to do it everyday. Certainly should work off those kilos in no time!!!

Food's been pretty good. I decided NOT to stay for long at the party, had 2 glasses of wine and a few nibbles (low fat, carrot sticks etc) and then we came home. So I've done well all day. I even managed to stay away from the chocolate!

Oh, I also remembered another way to track your weight loss. I'd forgotten about MEASURING your body. Because MUSCLE weighs more than FAT, sometimes you won't show a loss on the scales, but the SIZE will tell you that the centimeters are coming off. So I'm going to set up a spreadsheet and record my measurements every week, at the same time as my weigh in.

Kat, I laughed at your description about the yucky salad dressing. I'm not a big fan of just munching on a salad, although I used to really enjoy it when I was younger. So the dressing is crucial. We've got a really nice brand here that has no fat, and we've got the Balsamic one at the moment, which is YUMMY! One of my favourite salad dishes is cajun chicken over salad with avocado. mmm.....

Terri, hope you had a good yoga session. I liked your summary of yourself - very humorous and honest! I like your attitude to the weekends. I find the weekend hard, but these days not so hard, as I'm home every day, not working. So now it's every day instead!

Tracy, massages are the best! Marc gives me one when he can, but I'd have one every day if I could. I have really bad back problems, so I'm always sore. Although the excess weight hasn't CAUSED the back problems, it certainly hasn't helped, so hopefully it will ease somewhat as I get lighter!

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Bye!
Old 05-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #25  
Beauty is within...

PS I've got a recipe to pass on that I got from my mum. I'm not normally one to do this, but this is a special:

Bread Cheese Dip

Ingredients:

One large round wood oven continental loaf
One onion
One capsicum
Handful of Ham (approx 100gms)
One tin creamed corn
Low fat cream cheese
One fresh chili

Mixed vegetables, crackers, etc.

Ok, here's how to prepare it:

Finely chop the ham, onion, capsicum and chili (deseeded) and combine with the cream cheese and creamed corn.
Cut the top of the loaf off, and scoop out the bread (which can be used another time for breadcrumbs).
Pour in the combined ingredients and replace the top.
Wrap the loaf in 3 layers of foil, and cook in an oven at 180 degrees celcius for 2 hours.

Serve the loaf dip on a platter with chopped vegetables and crackers of your choice. You can also break up the top of the loaf to have to dip as well.

(If you need to transport it, keep it wrapped in the foil, and then wrapped in a towel to keep warm.)

This is REALLY yummy, and very low in fat.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #26  
I'm on my way!

Where da heck is everyone? John has pink eye and bronchitis and now I have pink eye too. Geeeesh....are we ever going to get this house well again??

Gotta go take a nap..my throat still hurts!

TTFN Michelle
Old 05-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #27  

Thank you everyone for all your support. It is so nice to know that I can come in here and vent and dump on all of you and get all the good responses I get. And here I go again. I really did it this time. But I think I found the solution to my problem. Friday evening I pigged out!! I mean really pigged out. I ate everything I wanted, a hamburger, french fries, candy, chips, ice cream. And ya know what I was sick!! But boy was it fun. But ya know what, I dont want that stuff anymore. I was so ready to get back on Sat morning. And it has been so easy to stay on. I was even 2 points under last night. And I even came to a realization, I used to eat like that all the time, every day, and it's no wonder I weighed almost 400. So I have decided that about once amonth I am going to have a pig out. Then I won't feel deprived and I will have something to look forward to. I love it. Well I must go for now, oh ya I also went for a 1mile walk yesterday. Woo hoo.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:45 PM   #28  
a work in progress...

Hey all...

Traffic sure is light!

Michelle, I'm sending the germ exorcist over your way! You guys have really had it rough there! Feel better soon!

Lynne...mmm, that dip sounds yummy! Good job on the walking! I wish we still had a drive in! Ohhhh, that was fun! They put in a Costco where the last drive-in in NJ once stood...less than a 5 minute drive from my house...I miss it!

Tracy, my daughter was singing the praises of McD's Cobb Salad the other day too! Hmmm. I may have to check it out one of these days! My favorite bottled dressing is blue cheese, the Just 2 Good blue cheese is actually good. My favorite dressing though, is one that I make with sesame oil, rice vinegar, Splenda, soy sauce...mmm, my mouth just watered! :

Terri, Welcome! I enjoyed your post and getting to know about you! Sounds like you'll fit right in here!

Mary...you sound like me...I have a VERY hard time saying no...but I am working on it!

Sandy...where've you been?

Tina...good attitude on the exercise! BTW...i can't wait to hear about "the Plan!" Do share.

Amanda...I love nuts too! As a matter of fact, I've been buying them more and more lately since low carbing. (they're a little pricey!) I'll grab a handful of nuts (usually cashews) when I need something to nibble. Portion control is HARD though! I will measure out 1/4 cup, but then I usually go back for another 1/4 cup!

Lori...weather reports are looking good for tomorrow! Say cheese!

2cute...I hope the graduation was wonderful! I know you're a proud mama! Re: your exercise tape...surprisingly good workout, huh? I knew Richard would not disappoint. At a WW meeting, the leader had everyone hold their hands out and make big circles, front,,,then back, shoulder shrugs, bicep curls...maybe for about 5 minutes...if that. The whole group was huffing and puffing! Her point was that ANY thing you do to raise that heart rate is beneficial! Consistency is the key! Your determination is contagious!

Deon...SOOOOOOOOO? Did you join Miss 2cute exercising?
tapping his foot, questioningly
***whoops...saw your post after I posted mine... is very proud of your walk...keep it up!

Tracy...I'm very excited for you and Tina's meeting next week! We'll want details! That BodyFlow class sounds good!

Barb...I know you're down in Florida, soaking up the sun somewhere...get some rays for us water logged types back home, okay?

Jen...I keep forgetting to respond to you, I'm so sorry! I LOVED the Mother's Day hug story! How very special! I'm picturing a chain of hugs halfway across the world...sigh!

Thin, Lucky, Sara, Steph...do pop in before this thread's over, won't you?? Whoops... too late!

I'm outta here! Going to feed the face!
Nothing but good, nourishing, wholesome stuff, of course...

Last edited by katrinabgood; 05-18-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:27 PM   #29  

STOP! DO NOT POST HERE!!!!!

Join us at the new thread "300+ and Ready to Try Again #337
Closed Thread